Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-25-2019, 03:29 PM

Baba is You - A unique puzzle game

I've been enjoying a puzzle game called Baba is You a lot lately. It involves interacting with objects and text to solve puzzles. When you make a logic sentence out of the text, it changes the rules of the game. For example a level might have these words together:

Baba is You. Water is Sink. Flag is Win.
These rules means you control Baba, you sink (die) if you go in water, and you win if you get to the flag. The water is preventing you from getting to the flag, so you change some words around to the following:

Baba is You. Baba is Float. Water is Sink. Flag is Win
Now Baba is floating, so you can fly above the water and get to the flag. But there are other ways to solve it. For example:

Water is You. Baba is Win. Flag is Sink
Now you control the water, and win when you reach Baba. The water dies if it hits the flag.

The game feels very challenging but fair. Sometimes the key to a level is figuring out which rules you need to form from the words. Sometimes it's about applying the rules in the right order and circumstance. I've gotten stuck on some levels for a long time. When I finally got it I felt both elated and often a little sheepish at having missed something so obvious.