Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-25-2019, 03:29 PM
sohvan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Finland
Posts: 464

Baba is You - A unique puzzle game


I've been enjoying a puzzle game called Baba is You a lot lately. It involves interacting with objects and text to solve puzzles. When you make a logic sentence out of the text, it changes the rules of the game. For example a level might have these words together:

Baba is You. Water is Sink. Flag is Win.
These rules means you control Baba, you sink (die) if you go in water, and you win if you get to the flag. The water is preventing you from getting to the flag, so you change some words around to the following:

Baba is You. Baba is Float. Water is Sink. Flag is Win
Now Baba is floating, so you can fly above the water and get to the flag. But there are other ways to solve it. For example:

Water is You. Baba is Win. Flag is Sink
Now you control the water, and win when you reach Baba. The water dies if it hits the flag.

The game feels very challenging but fair. Sometimes the key to a level is figuring out which rules you need to form from the words. Sometimes it's about applying the rules in the right order and circumstance. I've gotten stuck on some levels for a long time. When I finally got it I felt both elated and often a little sheepish at having missed something so obvious.
  #2  
Old 07-25-2019, 07:16 PM
borschevsky is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,118
Yeah, itís a really great idea for a game. Iím stuck somewhere around halfway through (I think), and I havenít played for a while. It requires a bit of concentration and brainpower, and lately Iíve been playing more mindless stuff. But itís great.
  #3  
Old 07-25-2019, 07:45 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 85,050
What happens if you make "Win is You"?
  #4  
Old 07-25-2019, 08:29 PM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 18,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
What happens if you make "Win is You"?

You lose I think (since you don't control any piece of the board any more). Baba is Win doesn't work either (since at that point Baba isn't You, but you don't lose because you can then use whatever is You to touch Baba and win).
__________________
--- ---
Assume I'm right and you're wrong - we'll both save a lot of time.
  #5  
Old 07-26-2019, 12:02 AM
sohvan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Finland
Posts: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
You lose I think (since you don't control any piece of the board any more). Baba is Win doesn't work either (since at that point Baba isn't You, but you don't lose because you can then use whatever is You to touch Baba and win).
That's true. Each word has a logic to it, which you learn while solving puzzles. In this case Win means something like "when the piece that is you is on the same square as a piece that is win, you win the level." You can make the words "Baba is You And Win", though. Then you win the level regardless of the rest of the game state.
  #6  
Old 07-26-2019, 05:42 AM
Mithras is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 721
Or you can have"Baba is you" going horizontally and "Baba is win" going vertically starting from the same"Baba".

Baba is you is the best puzzle game I've played in several years. And it has way more puzzles than good puzzle games typically seem to have.

One point that isn't that obvious from the description: it sounds a lot more open than it is. What I mean is, one might think that there would be many ways to rearrange the words to solve a puzzle. But usually beyond the intro levels, there's probably only one solution.
  #7  
Old 07-26-2019, 09:09 AM
Inner Stickler's Avatar
Inner Stickler is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 15,133
I love it because it's really a great puzzle solving game.

I hate it because it constantly reveals how thick I am.
  #8  
Old 07-26-2019, 09:18 AM
Maserschmidt's Avatar
Maserschmidt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 5,858
I downloaded a version for iPad, but so far it just appears to be a maze-style game, no words. Did I get scammed?

ETa: Yep, looks like a scam....

Last edited by Maserschmidt; 07-26-2019 at 09:21 AM.
  #9  
Old 07-26-2019, 11:32 AM
sohvan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Finland
Posts: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
One point that isn't that obvious from the description: it sounds a lot more open than it is. What I mean is, one might think that there would be many ways to rearrange the words to solve a puzzle. But usually beyond the intro levels, there's probably only one solution.
That's a fair point, and that's especially true for the hardest puzzles. The intermediate puzzles did sometimes have some flexibility in solutions, though.

The limitations set on each level by the number of words, objects and ways you can interact with them are a large part of why the game works as well as it does. Sometimes you can be given a surprisingly small number of puzzle pieces to work with, but still have to wrack your brain to find the solution.

I've solved 150 puzzles so far, and the game is still often surprising me with the elegance of some of the solutions. It's a sign of a good puzzle game when figuring it out makes you think "how could I have possibly missed that" instead of "How was I supposed to know that?"
  #10  
Old 07-26-2019, 12:03 PM
enalzi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,173
Looks like it's also available on Switch, so I might have to give it a download.
  #11  
Old 07-26-2019, 12:07 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 35,025
How is Baba made?

:d&r:
  #12  
Old 07-26-2019, 02:53 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maserschmidt View Post
I downloaded a version for iPad, but so far it just appears to be a maze-style game, no words. Did I get scammed?

ETa: Yep, looks like a scam....
Sucker is You
  #13  
Old 07-27-2019, 09:53 AM
Maserschmidt's Avatar
Maserschmidt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 5,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Sucker is You
  #14  
Old 07-27-2019, 11:09 AM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 18,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
How is Baba made?

:d&r:

Vagina IS Win. Penis IS Float AND You.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithras
One point that isn't that obvious from the description: it sounds a lot more open than it is. What I mean is, one might think that there would be many ways to rearrange the words to solve a puzzle. But usually beyond the intro levels, there's probably only one solution.

Agreed from what I've seen (don't own the game but watched a couple infuriating Let's Plays. Infuriating because "DUDE YOU HAD THE... Why are you doing this ?! It was so blindingly obvious ! Go back two moves, don't.. AAAAGH"), it's just that some of these solutions really turn your noggin' around. As well I really like the fact that often puzzle 2 is just puzzle 1 with one or two elements slightly tweaked at most... which nevertheless requires a totally different solution.
__________________
--- ---
Assume I'm right and you're wrong - we'll both save a lot of time.
  #15  
Old 07-27-2019, 11:14 AM
Johnny Bravo's Avatar
Johnny Bravo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 7,782
I also watched a video of this game and came to two conclusions.

1) Wow. What a neat concept for a game. Well done, game!
2) I will never ever play it because it will make my eyeballs bleed in impotent frustration.
  #16  
Old 07-31-2019, 01:20 PM
gonzoron is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
I love it because it's really a great puzzle solving game.

I hate it because it constantly reveals how thick I am.
This.

I have it on the Switch, I love the concept with all my heart. It's the most original video game I've seen since.... I don't know, pong? Never seen anything like it. Adventures of Lolo meets Nomic.

I also love that it's not linear and if you get stuck on one puzzle, you can usually try a different route and do a different puzzle.

I just hate that sometimes I sit there for an hour going, "how the hell am I supposed to push this @#*$#@$* rock over there when skull is defeat!"
  #17  
Old 08-01-2019, 08:35 PM
glowacks is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,199
I saw this get good reviews on Metacritic while searching for my most recent Switch addition, but eventually got Into the Breach. I'll definitely get it once I'm through playing all the other games I've bought and not played now that I've bought enough games for the Switch to have justified purchasing it. The concept is brilliant.
  #18  
Old 08-02-2019, 10:16 AM
enalzi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohvan View Post
It's a sign of a good puzzle game when figuring it out makes you think "how could I have possibly missed that" instead of "How was I supposed to know that?"
Got it for Switch last night. This was me after only the seventh level:
SPOILER:
Took me ages to figure out I could use "IS" twice by having a message go both vertical and horizontal

Last edited by enalzi; 08-02-2019 at 10:16 AM.
  #19  
Old 08-04-2019, 02:03 PM
Shoeless's Avatar
Shoeless is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Sunflower State
Posts: 6,840
Boy does this game make me feel stupid. 150 levels, sohvan? I've barely gotten through 20. And I'm stuck at the moment, two different puzzles I can't figure out and nowhere else to go. This game needs a hint book!

(No it doesn't, because then I'd just be checking it constantly instead of trying to figure it out.)
__________________
I'm not black, but there's a whole lotsa times I wish I could say I'm not white. -- FZ
  #20  
Old 08-07-2019, 06:18 PM
glowacks is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,199
I broke down and bought it. It gets hard fast, definitely.

The rules are a bit quirky in some places. For example, there's the block "Text" which the game uses to make "Text is Defeat", but you don't die on touching text because you always push text, and "Defeat" only triggers when you're on the same square. How Hot, Melt, Sink, and Float work are a little strange, particularly Float.

One thing that's made me able to get through some levels is trying to parse out why some of the rules you can't change are there. I think so far there's always a good reason for every single rule. Maybe as you go along he'll throw ones in that are entirely irrelevant just to throw people off.

Last edited by glowacks; 08-07-2019 at 06:19 PM.
  #21  
Old 08-08-2019, 10:54 AM
ebb is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 194
This is a fascinating game. I picked it up after reading this thread and have been playing with it for a day or so. I'm a fan of games of this sort, but some of the levels really have had me stumped. It's very much an "aha!" game, where once you get the key insight for the level you can normally work out the rest easily. What's so impressive about it is that there are so many completely different "aha!" moments arising from such a relatively simple set of rules.

Those without self-control should skip this, but there's a nice "spoiler-free" hint site that I've referred to once or twice. It doesn't give the solutions, but it does a good job of nudging you in the right direction:



One problem I have with games like this, and I think this one is no exception, is that in the process of going through the levels you're building up the skills and the mental language to tackle more difficult problems. That's absolutely what you want to make a great game. But for me, if I step away from it for a period of time, could even be a few hours, I tend to have that knowledge erode. I've been stuck at least once because I didn't remember a very basic thing from ten levels earlier, which I don't think was really supposed to be part of the puzzle, it was a just a symptom of not being able to hold everything in my head at once for a really long period of time.

I had a very similar experience with The Witness -- it was great working out the tricks, but unless you can access them all when you need them it can be frustrating. I'm fully willing to believe this is more of a "me" problem than a general one.
  #22  
Old 08-08-2019, 11:58 AM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebb View Post
One problem I have with games like this, and I think this one is no exception, is that in the process of going through the levels you're building up the skills and the mental language to tackle more difficult problems. That's absolutely what you want to make a great game. But for me, if I step away from it for a period of time, could even be a few hours, I tend to have that knowledge erode. I've been stuck at least once because I didn't remember a very basic thing from ten levels earlier, which I don't think was really supposed to be part of the puzzle, it was a just a symptom of not being able to hold everything in my head at once for a really long period of time.

I had a very similar experience with The Witness -- it was great working out the tricks, but unless you can access them all when you need them it can be frustrating. I'm fully willing to believe this is more of a "me" problem than a general one.
I have that problem with any game that has complex or unusual rules (or control schemes).

In my case, it seems like every time I play Elite: Dangerous, I havenít played in months and need to redo the tutorials.

I started playing Murdered: Soul Suspect again after a long hiatus. I am a bit lost. Iím in the middle of multiple investigations and I have no idea where to go next with them. And I spent a lot of time getting comfortable with all the ghost powers, juggling the real world and spirit world, handling violent spirits, etc. It almost feels like Iím trying to play someone elseís game who is near the end.

I donít think itís you, I think there are certain games you almost need to binge to get through. You can pick up a bike and ride it again naturally, you might not be able to do that with a fighter jet.
  #23  
Old 08-10-2019, 10:37 PM
Maserschmidt's Avatar
Maserschmidt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 5,858
This game is fun, but every time I clear level I realize how easy it was, and then when I get to the next level, I discover again how stupid I am.
  #24  
Old 08-14-2019, 12:23 PM
iamthewalrus(:3= is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 12,004
I love this game. I've finished... I don't know, half the levels or so, and some of them are wicked hard.

Among my favorite discoveries:

X IS Y AND Z lets you generate duplicate objects.
X HAS X gives you an indestructible X that can plow through things.

EMPTY as a noun is mind-bending. I have solved very few of those levels.

One of my favorite things about it is that you'll beat a level and then there will be a bonus level that differs in just a single grid location, but you have to beat it an entirely different way. Extremely clever level design.

Last edited by iamthewalrus(:3=; 08-14-2019 at 12:23 PM.
  #25  
Old 08-14-2019, 11:23 PM
glowacks is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus(:3= View Post

X HAS X gives you an indestructible X that can plow through things.
This was one of my favorite discoveries to make. It's the kind of thing you don't think about as being possible until you realize that it is, and it's exactly what you need.
  #26  
Old 08-15-2019, 08:56 AM
sohvan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Finland
Posts: 464
The game is a lot longer than I expected, and I'm surprised that the puzzle quality has stayed high. If anything it has saved some of the more clever and mind blowing surprises deep in the game.

I also had issues with wrapping my head around the keyword EMPTY. I completed the space area eventually, but I had to use a lot more trial and error as it was sometimes hard to predict the consequences of rules.

I'll spoiler tag my favourite discovery as it's a nice surprise relatively deep in the game.
SPOILER:
Favourite discovery was solving the world map
  #27  
Old 08-20-2019, 03:16 AM
DKW is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,963
Well, if nothing else, there's this to make you all feel a little better. Thoughts, no particular order:

If you get this thinking you can do all kinds of weird things or get really creative with solutions (I thought that way for a while), it's going to be a massive disappointment. Other than a few really easy levels, each level in the game is geared toward one and only one solution. In fact, some levels with unexpected alternate solutions were later modified to take them out. There are certain rules that can't be changed because they're either in corners or blocked off, and as the game progresses more and more of them become inviolable. For total control and creativity, Minecraft is still the champ. (Creative mode, I mean, as the only thing Survival is a champ of is Neverending Death By Witch, but that's another thread.)

The singular solutions are going to result in frustration, mainly because a lot of things that look like they'd work at first glance have a rule or property that makes them impossible. "X is X" is a prime example of this.

There aren't any dirty tricks, at least not that I found. If you find yourself going "Man, why didn't I think of that?" it's probably because you didn't consider every possibility or didn't fully understand how a rule or property worked. It pays to work out the solution one step at a time rather than waiting for a big eureka moment.

It does get super hard, and moreover, it gets super complicated. Kudos to whoever had the patience to make these and make sure that there were actual solutions. Definitely not for the easily frustrated (like me).

Given that Baba (or whatever else is "You" at the moment) can only push, not pull, this may be a concern to players who played things like Sokoban in the past and were really bad at it (like me). From what I've seen, this isn't any to be worried about. There are situations where you don't want to push an object a certain way or the way is blocked, but there aren't extremely complex labyrinths that Sokoban is infamous for. Mostly you need to understand where things go and how to get them there.

You can't go in with pretensions. What a certain object is and does is dictated solely by what it "Is" at the moment. Doors can open walls, lava can be pushed, grass can be impassible, and water can float in midair. Other than the fixed rules, anything is possible.

Verdict? It looks pretty, but I'm going to wait until somewhere has all the solutions before I consider buying it. (That no such place exists yet tells me that this one's a long haul.) There's just too much bang-head-into-desk potential here. This is one of those games where I'd have an absolute blast with a hacked version, but that's probably years off, if it ever happens.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017