Old 08-03-2019, 02:37 PM

What Board Games Are You Playing Lately?

With Gen Con this weekend, I have Board Games on the mind. What games are you playing right now?
Old 08-03-2019, 04:17 PM

Lately, Mars: Red Planet and The Stars Are Right.

I'm keeping Glorantha - The Gods War for my friend who didn't his wife to see the massive game he spent close to a thousand dollars on.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Games I played in July: Q.E., Tiny Epic Mechs, Gizmos, Century: Spice Road, 12 Days of Christmas, 5-Minute Dungeon, Escape Plan, Fairy Tale, Lords of Waterdeep, Blue Lagoon, Space Base, and Tiny Towns.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:12 PM

Pandemic and chess.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:12 PM

I recently played an odd game of Clue. Online.

(Is it still a board game online? Hmmm?)

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 08-03-2019 at 05:13 PM. Reason: ;)
Old 08-03-2019, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Whenever I visit my nephew, he wants to play something called Citadels. Basically, you're trying to be the first to build a fantasy-medieval city, through the use of various characters you choose each turn: The Thief can steal another player's gold, the Warlord can destroy one of the districts in another player's city, and so on.

We've also recently played Risk, Risk: Europe, and Ticket to Ride (US version), which I think are more familiar.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Last month:
Ticket to Ride
Castle Panic (which is super fun and quick)
Carcassone (does that count as a board game?)
Betrayal at House on the Hill

Coming up:
Clue: Master Detective (expanded version of Clue)
Pandemic
Red Dragon Inn
Axis & Allies & Zombies
probably one or two others...

Last edited by Zakalwe; 08-03-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:12 PM

Wingspan, Codenames: Duet, Lanterns.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:17 PM

My son has gotten his mom and me into Ticket to Ride and Dominion, which I guess is more card game than board game, but we've been playing that a lot.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:35 PM

Terraforming Mars has been a trend lately. Before that it was Brass: Birmingham.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, Citadels is more of a card than board game, too, but I was assuming that we were using a broad enough definition that it qualifies.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:57 PM

Just bought Dead of Winter - it's really good !
Other than that, lately we've been playing Gloomhaven, Arkham Horror (the board game), Betrayal At The House On The Hill and 7th Continent
Old 08-04-2019, 08:30 AM

FWIW everything you play on a table is what I meant so things like Dominion and Carcassonne are spot on...
Old 08-04-2019, 08:38 AM

We like Spirit Island (board game) and Sentinels of the Multiverse (card game).

We just got Dungeon Mayhem, a short and fast card game, and that's a lot of fun.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:02 AM

I've been playing a semi-regular game of Betrayal at the House on the Hill, Betrayal Legacy, which is pretty good. I'm a real sucker for legacy games, and enjoy them even when I don't much care for the games they're based on.

I've also played Twilight Imperium 4th Edition twice so far this calendar year which, if you are familiar with the game, is something of a triumph.

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 08-04-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Call Me... Tim View Post
Terraforming Mars has been a trend lately. Before that it was Brass: Birmingham.
It's the opposite for me. I've been playing TM for over a year but I just got introduced to Brass: Birmingham last month at Dice Tower Con. Now that I know there are solo rules for it I want to see if it is available in stores.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:24 PM

Citadels is a great little game, but I've only ever played it with five or six players - does it work with two?

In the last couple of weeks I've played 6 Nimmt, Land Unter (both classic card games of a similar stripe), and had an epic game of Santorini which took almost an hour with both players looking like they might win, I got pushed out right at the end though and lost. Pleasingly I took revenge by beating my opponent at Twilight Struggle. I was playing as the US for the first time and since I had a slight lead in points about halfway through, he conceded defeat at that stage (more typical is for the USSR to be up several points early on, with most of the better cards for the US coming later in the game).

I've also been tryi to get the hang of Hanabi with a couple of colleagues, there is a separate old thread on that game if anyone cares to search for it.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Two-player Citadels is basically the four-player version, except each player picks two characters each round. And, of course, you don't get the political element that shows up in all games of more than two players. It does seem like it'd be great with more, but it still works fine with two.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Just picked one up this weekend that we'll probably try at the next game lunch:

Atari Missile Command

Game play looks pretty basic (lot of pieces though). Says it plays in 30-45 minutes with 3-6 players - so perfect for a lunch hour when you figure in the learning curve.

Got it for $7 new in the box at (of all places) GameStop. Worth a try, for the nostalgia if nothing else.

Last edited by Zakalwe; 08-05-2019 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:25 PM
Charter Member

One of my favorites that came out last year is Architects of the West Kingdom.

To use gamer jargon, it's a fairly straight-forward worker placement game, where the amount of workers you build up on a location determines the amount of rewards you receive. But it has an interesting mechanic that allows you to capture workers from a location; so as you build up workers at a location, you make yourself an increasingly attractive target.

I love mechanics like that, where limits arise naturally from the game play rather than being arbitrarily imposed by the rules.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:45 PM
Charter Member

I played Brew Crafters Friday night, which is a pretty straightforward worker placement game where you have two "flavors" of workers, ones who take market actions that exclude other players, and ones who take brewery actions where everyone can take the same action if they want. I lost, but it was (as always) fun. We might do it again this week before everyone forgets the rules.
This post is not intended to provide reliable legal advice, nor is any other post by me in this or any other thread. I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Odds are good that I'm not even licensed in your jurisdiction. If you follow what you think is advice in this post and get screwed, don't come crying to me.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:05 PM

80% of our boardgame time is spent playing Gloomhaven. The other 20% is a mix of Azul, Fury of Dracula, Chess, Keyforge, MTG, and Memoir 44.

But mostly Gloomhaven.

And we just got the expansion for Gloomhaven.

Last edited by Pixel_Dent; 08-06-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:08 AM

Lately for me it has been Pandemic: Rapid Response, Star Wars Outer Rim, and Fury of Dracula. I wish I could find a group to play Gloomhaven.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:41 AM

Just bought Gloomhaven, but haven't had a chance to play yet.

Played some Catan recently, and Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu, Eldritch Horror, and Too Many Bones.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:20 PM

Played this last weekend:

Space Base

Deceptively simple in appearance but complicated enough to get interesting. You roll 2 dice, can take either both dice together as a number OR each die as its own number separately. You activate the ship card in your base corresponding to that number (or those two numbers) and get the power(s) on that card (typically coins early on). You then may buy new ships from a common pool, paying attention not only to their power but also their "reward" and the numbered spot they will occupy on the "base" board. When you buy a ship from the common pool it displaces the one already in your base -- displaced ships are tucked under with only the reward showing. On OTHER PLAYERS' die rolls, you get the reward for these "deployed" ships if their number is rolled.

This creates strategic tension. The 1-6 ships tend to give less reward because you could get two of them in a turn. The 7-12 ships you could obviously only get the reward from once (since it takes both dice to add up to the number) so they tend to have higher payoffs. Displacing a good power means you lose it, but that ship's reward is now available on other players' turns. Do you want a few slots with heavily-stacked-up rewards, or lower rewards in almost every slot to cover whatever the dice might roll?

The powers and rewards become increasingly complicated as the game progresses, allowing you to shift over to a different slot (i.e., roll a 7, get the reward from slot 5), change dice, lock dice, increase baseline income, get victory points, and so on.

Last edited by Sailboat; 08-08-2019 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:27 PM

Play chess on my lunch break at work.

Just got Settlers of Catan to play at home.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:32 PM

Lately, our college kids have been getting us to play Root with them. They also ask us to play Betrayal at the House on the Hill every so often. We play Machikoro and Pandemic once in a while.

My partner and I frequently play a two-person version of Catan (Cities & Knights). We've spent a lot of time adjusting the rules.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:24 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Chinese Chess
Korean Chess
Hive
Mancala
Pentago
Onitama

I think I like Korean chess the most.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Chinese Chess
Korean Chess
Hive
Mancala
Pentago
Onitama

I think I like Korean chess the most.
I love Hive! That's become a serious go to when only two people want to play. And it's easy to carry around. Definitely in the keeper category.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:30 PM

Our first game was Catan and we binged on it, but my daughter complained that it's no fun once you get behind. I disagree, but to a kid, feeling like you're behind in a 2-hour game is no fun.

Hey, question for you board gamers. What's a good game for 9 year old kids that can go in 30 minutes or so? Maybe a card-type game?
Old 08-12-2019, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
Hey, question for you board gamers. What's a good game for 9 year old kids that can go in 30 minutes or so? Maybe a card-type game?
Try Dragonwood, which is both cheap and fun. I have been playing a lot of Shards of Infinity with my kids lately, too.
This post is not intended to provide reliable legal advice, nor is any other post by me in this or any other thread. I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Odds are good that I'm not even licensed in your jurisdiction. If you follow what you think is advice in this post and get screwed, don't come crying to me.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:

You might want to check the artwork to make sure the humor is appropriate but Exploding Kittens might be fun.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:01 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Our first game was Catan and we binged on it, but my daughter complained that it's no fun once you get behind. I disagree, but to a kid, feeling like you're behind in a 2-hour game is no fun.
I also disagree with your daughter.

It's no fun when you're ahead, either.

Quote:
I was coming in to recommend Welcome To..., a ~30 minute card game. I'm not great at estimating ages for games, but I think a nine year old would be in to it.

Each player is competing to get the most points by building a suburb. You have a sheet of paper with three rows of houses on it. In the middle of the table, three decks of cards give you combinations of house numbers and special abilities. The players (it can go up to pretty much any number of players, if you've got enough game sheets) each pick one of the combos and records it on their sheet. The house numbers have to go in ascending order from left to right. You can skip numbers, but you can't repeat or go backwards. Meanwhile, the special abilities let you go after other scoring opportunities, like building pools or planting parks.

Lots of fun, easy to learn, and very quick to play.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
I love Hive! That's become a serious go to when only two people want to play. And it's easy to carry around. Definitely in the keeper category.

I just learned about the game a few months ago. I play against AI on my Android phone, but I'm trying to get some friends interested in killing some time with it so I can play a live human. I've only managed to beat the "medium" difficulty AI so far.

Drat! I left out Realm. That's one of my favorites, right next to Janggi. The game has some unique concepts (creating pieces depending on the result of your move, for example).

Quote:

I agree with you about Catan. A friend is seriously into it, but he's the only one I've met so far who is.

For choosing a game, you could always use this flowchart. It's a bit old, but to make a quick decision and get the ball rolling, it's good enough.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Thanks to you and Monty for reminding me about this, it is indeed a great game - need to remind my friend who owns it about playing it again.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
You might want to check the artwork to make sure the humor is appropriate but Exploding Kittens might be fun.
So I partly came back to this thread to share that we played Throw Throw Burrito for the first time yesterday. It was absolutely hilarious - we played at work at lunchtime, and the people in the meeting room next door had to come in to tell us to stop (oops...). It's from the makers of Exploding Kittens but I'm pretty sure all the artwork is OK for kids. The game is based on the card game Spoons, you are passing cards round the table to try to collect sets as fast as you can. But if someone gets a set of three Burrito cards (of which there are various types), players have to grab the foam burrito in the middle of the table and throw it at each other.

Another game that might appeal (and is less rowdy) is Fluxx. Good mixture of randomness and learning about rule-following. There are loads of themed versions so one of them may tickle your daughter's fancy.

Quote:
For choosing a game, you could always use this flowchart. It's a bit old, but to make a quick decision and get the ball rolling, it's good enough.
I agree, with the proviso that after a short while you'll probably want to enter the result from the flowchart into boardgamegeek to find other games like it. I'll always have time for the classics (even Monopoly), but there's so much variety out there now.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Pandemic (the original version) takes 30 - 45 minutes.

It's a co-operative game (very useful to avoid squabbling and disappointment.)
Players can discuss moves (which speeds things up.)

I've played it very successfully with both a smart 8 year old and an autistic 12 year old.
(It also does a bit of World geography as you pick up city names and locations.)
Old 08-13-2019, 05:55 AM

Thanks all for the suggestions and I apologize to OP for hijacking the thread with personal recommendations for myself.

Last edited by HMS Irruncible; 08-13-2019 at 05:56 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Can't seem to pull up specific cards... does it depict animal cruelty? If not, anything goes.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Can't seem to pull up specific cards... does it depict animal cruelty? If not, anything goes.
No, nothing like that. (Well except for the exploding Kittens ). I was probably being overly cautious. There actually is a NSFW version so the normal version is probably fine. The game was created by the guy who writes The Oatmeal. The card art is in that style.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:19 AM

I played Exploding Kittens with my daughter when she was 11. As long as you don’t have the NSFW version (which is explicitly labeled so you won’t miss it) there’s nothing “racy” in it.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, nothing like that. (Well except for the exploding Kittens ). I was probably being overly cautious. There actually is a NSFW version so the normal version is probably fine. The game was created by the guy who writes The Oatmeal. The card art is in that style.
One possible issue is that Exploding Kittens can have a lot of "take that" moves, which can upset some younger players.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by glee View Post
Pandemic (the original version) takes 30 - 45 minutes.

It's a co-operative game (very useful to avoid squabbling and disappointment.)
Players can discuss moves (which speeds things up.)
I would recommend Flash Point as well. It's another co-op. It has basic and advanced rules so you can adjust the difficulty. And even young kids can grasp the theme; the players are a team of firefighters who are trying to rescue the occupants of a burning house before the fire spreads too far.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:44 PM

What about Unstable Unicorns? Does that have any artwork or moves that'll upset youngsters?
Old 08-14-2019, 01:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
What about Unstable Unicorns? Does that have any artwork or moves that'll upset youngsters?
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...nicorns/images - the artwork is okay for kids in my opinion but you can judge for yourself

Like Exploding Kittens, Unstable Unicorns has a NSFW version. But I won't link to that.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
We bought that for my 11-year-old. (She’s 12 now but was 11 at the time.)

One thing I’ll say is that Unstable Unicorns requires more decision-making and is slightly more complicated than Exploding Kittens. (I also think that makes it a better game.) If anything, it might be a bit more difficult for a very young person to catch on to. But there’s definitely nothing in the artwork or themes that is more than G-rated.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:34 PM

Just retired my first character in Gloomhaven and am starting the Suncaster. We play on weekends but not as often as we’d like.