Old 08-11-2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Scud View Post
It's hard to fathom that there's a team out there with a worse record than the Orioles, but there is.
Surprisingly, the Mariners are not worse. They’re also not much better. But they are rebuilding and it’s expected, so meh.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Scud View Post
Astros just brutalize the Orioles, 23 to 2, with Alvarez getting his first 3-home-run game. It's hard to fathom that there's a team out there with a worse record than the Orioles, but there is.

The O's followed this performance by winning on a walkoff HR with two outs and two strikes. Any given day in MLB
Old 08-12-2019, 10:25 AM
Charter Jays Fan

The Orioles remain the poster boy for "awful team" because they were just so epically bad last year, and they continue to play Chris Davis, which cannot be interpreted as anything other than total insanity or a deliberate effort to lose baseball games.

But man, the Tigers suck. They are very, very bad in terms of winning and losing; right now they are on pace to go 49-113, which is historically terrible. They will probably not lose 120 to equal the '62 Mets and "Beat" the 2003 Tigers, but they are actually getting worse so who knows.

The thing is - like, do they have any hope at all? The team is rolling a lot of bad veterans out there, and they don't have any Grade A prospects. I am a fan of the Blue Jays and they're a very bad team but at least we can enjoy watching Vlad Jr. and Bo Bichette become great players.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:26 AM

I feel the same as you RickJay about my Reds. Entertaining to watch, but ultimately a likely .500 finisher.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mabes View Post
I dont' believe what I just saw! (last night)

Ramos gives up a passed ball to put the Mets down 6-3 in the 9th. Then a couple of hits and Frazier hits a 3 run HR to tie it. With 2 outs, Conforto with a double to win it!

This is the damndest 2nd half I've ever seen. The Mets can't lose and I can't get laid

Mets now 14 of the last 15. YGFB and LGFM!
I won some money on that game. I had just about written it off until that surprise tie, then I was glued to the screen. Talk about an eleventh-hour comeback.

Their ass was clearly in the jackpot.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Schedule has been released for 2020
https://www.mlb.com/news/2020-mlb-schedule-released

Notice how MLB does it on a Monday afternoon while the NFL demands a prime time special. No staggered start next year, all teams open on the same day.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:20 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
I feel the same as you RickJay about my Reds. Entertaining to watch, but ultimately a likely .500 finisher.
I would be surprised if the Reds made the playoffs. It wouldn't be SHOCKING, though. They are only five games out of a wild card sport with 46 games to play, and they're a better team than their record would suggest.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I would be surprised if the Reds made the playoffs. It wouldn't be SHOCKING, though. They are only five games out of a wild card sport with 46 games to play, and they're a better team than their record would suggest.
7 games out of the division, 5 out of the WC...both equally hard. So many teams to jump.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:58 PM

Awhile back I posted about the Pirates' radio announcing crew making a cocky prediction that backfired.

They've managed to top themselves.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:33 AM

In other news, it looks like the Orioles and Pirates are commemorating the 40th anniversary of their trip to the 1979 World Series by sucking horrendously.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:38 AM

Quote:
I think the Reds have a very good chance to make it to the playoffs. Keep in mind that they got off to an atrocious start, spotting the rest of the division a pretty good lead.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:50 AM

Baltimore looks so inept, it is hard to comprehend how Detroit has a worse record.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:54 AM

Why did the Jays waive Freddy Galvis? I mean, I get they freed up a roster slot for development, but Galvis wasn't exactly chopped liver. He's a legit starting shortstop. Did they even try to trade him at the deadline?
Old 08-13-2019, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Maybe that's actually half of a trade made after the trade deadline.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:06 AM

They gave away Stroman, so why not Galvis?
Old 08-13-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I am a fan of the Blue Jays and they're a very bad team but at least we can enjoy watching Vlad Jr. and Bo Bichette become great players.
If it hasn't already been said, nicknames like "Vlad The Impaler" and "Boba Fett" would be fitting for those two.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:20 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
Why did the Jays waive Freddy Galvis? I mean, I get they freed up a roster slot for development, but Galvis wasn't exactly chopped liver. He's a legit starting shortstop. Did they even try to trade him at the deadline?
No one knows. The Jays claim there was no market for him, which I find impossible to believe, because

1. Freddy Galvis is a good player. He's a good defensive infielder who hits home runs and e's inexpensive. Many contenders could make use of Freddy Galvis, and

2. The Blue Jays this year have gotten nothing in return for decent players; they've been fleeced again and again. There is ample evidence they are doing a dreadful job on the trade market.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
If it hasn't already been said, nicknames like "Vlad The Impaler" and "Boba Fett" would be fitting for those two.
Vlad the Impaler was his father's nickname.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:14 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
No one knows. The Jays claim there was no market for him, which I find impossible to believe, because

1. Freddy Galvis is a good player. He's a good defensive infielder who hits home runs and e's inexpensive. Many contenders could make use of Freddy Galvis, and

2. The Blue Jays this year have gotten nothing in return for decent players; they've been fleeced again and again. There is ample evidence they are doing a dreadful job on the trade market.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:36 PM

Good to hear about Galvis, since the Reds ended up with him. I'm intrigued by the ability to option him next season if he works out. He hits better than Perazza.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:09 PM

Congratulations to the Orioles, first team mathematically eliminated from winning their division this year. Now they must battle the Tigers to see who is first eliminated from the wild card race.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Washington Nationals utterly crushing the Cincinnati Reds tonight 17-4 and it’s only the top of the 7th. Braves had better watch out.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Washington Nationals utterly crushing the Cincinnati Reds tonight 17-4 and it’s only the top of the 7th. Braves had better watch out.
Phillies 10, Cubs 0. 3rd inning just ended. Let's see which game ends up being the biggest blowout.

ETA, 17-7 was the final in the Nats/Reds game.

Last edited by Simmerdown; 08-14-2019 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:02 PM

Some craziness with last night's Braves/Mets. Two bases taken on wild pitches that bounced off the catcher in the first inning. Braves scored one run and then it was 1-0 for, what, six innings until the Mets plowed ahead and then inexplicably handed the game to Atlanta. A last-minute loading of the bases - aided by a weird fielding error which was analyzed to death in slow-motion replays before they finally called it safe based on the dude's foot not being in contact with the bag when he threw the runner "out" - at the bottom of the 9th failed to pay off and they lost.

Watching their next game in 20 minutes.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:36 PM

And now the Mets have scored 3 in the 1st with two now on base and only one out so far.....

edit - double play just invalidated that base count...

Last edited by Lamoral; 08-15-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:33 PM

And it just keeps getting better and better!! OK, I'll shut up now. #gomets!
Old 08-15-2019, 11:30 PM

Cubs blow 4 run lead in bottom of the 9th in Philly. The roar curse continues...
Old 08-17-2019, 08:35 AM

The Yanks' win yesterday tied them with the Dodgers for best record in baseball.

As it was their 82nd win, secured their 27th straight season of winning baseball. The second longest record in Baseball history with the 1926-64 Yankees holding the record at 39 straight seasons.

Still many questions about the starting staff for a playoff run, but I do like our chances to win it this year.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Nationals lost a heartbreaker last night in extra innings after 4 comebacks. Now, they’re utterly destroying the Brewers 13-0. Baseball is a funny game.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Nationals lost a heartbreaker last night in extra innings after 4 comebacks. Now, they’re utterly destroying the Brewers 13-0. Baseball is a funny game.
The Nationals' bullpen is a funny bullpen.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

And now the Nationals are destroying the Pirates, 13-0 and it hasn’t been that close. The Pirates look like the Bad News Bears.

Last edited by dalej42; 08-19-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:22 PM

The Pirates also lost hard against the Cubs on Sunday, in front of a billion Little League kids. It's very strange seeing this version of the Cubs, after a lifetime of them being considered a joke.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:32 AM

Pretty seriously awesome HR streak by Aristides Aquino, whom now is the holder of the MLB record for most home runs hit in the fewest number of games by a rookie.

Very well-edited video summary (YouTube): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DONSPtfrCVo

League seems to be starting to catch up with him now.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:41 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Well, inasmuch as three games without a homer is "catching up."

Obviously it's just a huge fluke.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:28 PM

I know it's not like no one is talking about Cody Bellinger, but I don't feel like he is getting quite the proper amount of credit. I was bouncing around reading some baseball stats this morning and saw that Bellinger, according to how Baseball reference calculates things, has essentially been as good as Mike Trout this season, and if you calculate it like Fangraphs does, he's not quite Trout but hes darn close. Closer than anyone else by a lot.

This is a pretty remarkable thing, also, in other non news, Mike Trout is really good at baseball shame hes wasted on the Angels.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF1138 View Post
I know it's not like no one is talking about Cody Bellinger, but I don't feel like he is getting quite the proper amount of credit. I was bouncing around reading some baseball stats this morning and saw that Bellinger, according to how Baseball reference calculates things, has essentially been as good as Mike Trout this season, and if you calculate it like Fangraphs does, he's not quite Trout but hes darn close. Closer than anyone else by a lot.

This is a pretty remarkable thing, also, in other non news, Mike Trout is really good at baseball shame hes wasted on the Angels.
I agree about Trout. I was bummed when he signed his extension he deserves to be on a team that is at least the most popular team in his town if not a perennial playoff contender.

As far as Bellinger I think the most fun thing about his season is that a lot of his WAR (almost 2) is coming from his defense.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:12 PM

I can remember watching his DAD, Clay Bellinger, on the Yankees when I was a freshman in high school. Gah! Where does the time go!?!?!
Old 08-21-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
I can remember watching his DAD, Clay Bellinger, on the Yankees when I was a freshman in high school. Gah! Where does the time go!?!?!
Clay was a solid 25th man. Could play most positions. Could hit a little. Could pinch run. His jacks seem to all help win games. But his talent level was far below Cody's of course.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:10 PM

Vladdy update: after not having the greatest start to the season, since July 5th he's 3rd in MLB in avg. (.387), 2nd in OBP% (.449), 5th in SLG% (.689), T-7 in RBI (29), and 1st in Sandovalics (67 inches), and doing it without putting up any crazy hot streaks, which is comforting to see (consistency). I'm sure pitchers will eventually figure out him and Bichette, but it's enjoyable to see in the meantime.

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 08-23-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Well, inasmuch as three games without a homer is "catching up."

Obviously it's just a huge fluke.
I'm not so sure it's a fluke. He's already been nicknamed "The Punisher" because he absolutely crushes the ball. I think he has superstar written all over him.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:51 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Just to keep playing devil's advocate, the last 21 games are basically the only thing in Aquino's professional career that say "Superstar." His minor league numbers suggest a good major league home run hitter, but not a superstar; if he was a superstar in wating he wouldn't have had to wait until he was 25 to be an MLB regular. I think he's going to be a solid hitter but he is very, very unlikely to be a perennial MVP candidate. Weirder things have happened but offhand I cannot think of very many great players (among hitters) who didn't make it as regular players until they were 25. Ryan Howard and Jose Bautista jump to mind, but I can't think of any others. I am sure there must be, but they're very rare.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Just to keep playing devil's advocate, the last 21 games are basically the only thing in Aquino's professional career that say "Superstar." His minor league numbers suggest a good major league home run hitter, but not a superstar; if he was a superstar in wating he wouldn't have had to wait until he was 25 to be an MLB regular. I think he's going to be a solid hitter but he is very, very unlikely to be a perennial MVP candidate. Weirder things have happened but offhand I cannot think of very many great players (among hitters) who didn't make it as regular players until they were 25. Ryan Howard and Jose Bautista jump to mind, but I can't think of any others. I am sure there must be, but they're very rare.
I am not a diehard fan by any stretch but from what I have heard and read, Aquino was a free-swinging project that took a lot of time to get him to respond to hitting coaches. Somehow they've got something figured out in his swing that he's doing now that he wasn't before, while he's also been able to keep his unorthodox stance and his knack for reaching out of the zone to slap homers that he could have let go.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Edgar Martinez is the one who came to mind for me. Wade Boggs was 24. David Ortiz kinda sorta. Sammy Sosa also kinda sorta (his first really good hitting season was at 25).

Last edited by Tom Scud; 08-24-2019 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:26 PM

Did anyone watch the Mets/Braves last night go to 14 innings? That was nuts. 1-1 almost all the way until the end, with the Mets' only run being a first-pitch homer hit by DEGROM of all people. Crazy crazy craziness.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:41 PM
Just Some Guy
Charter Member

These all-white uniforms keep making me think it's like watching cricket.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterion View Post
These all-white uniforms keep making me think it's like watching cricket.
Makes me think I'm watching Star Wars, especially the white batting helmets.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:03 PM

Has Boston changed the team's name in a last-ditch effort to make the postseason?

Sounds like something an early 1950s congressional committee would have investigated.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:11 PM

The Cubs were 44-19 at home til the Nats came in and swept their weekend series.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:21 PM

Whoever in the MLB office that insists on mandating that teams wear silly special uniforms at various times throughout the year needs to leave his job and go work designing clothes for Barbie dolls. It the teams want to dress like rejects from Don Cherry's closet, let it be their choice. These mandated uniforms this week are a joke.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Whoever in the MLB office that insists on mandating that teams wear silly special uniforms at various times throughout the year needs to leave his job and go work designing clothes for Barbie dolls. It the teams want to dress like rejects from Don Cherry's closet, let it be their choice. These mandated uniforms this week are a joke.
Why should the NFL be the only league with color rush games?