View Poll Results: Is the POV singer a hero or a villain?
Hero 22 27.16%
Villain 59 72.84%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2019, 09:56 AM

Question About Jessie's Girl

Do you think the person singing is a nice guy who really would be better for her or is he a creep out to ruin his friend's relationship?

So is the POV singer of the song a hero or the villain?
Old 08-23-2019, 10:05 AM

The guy singing that song is a lousy friend and an objectifier of women. An all-around asshole, IMO. I don't see anything in there to suggest a redeeming quality.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Villain.

Crushing on your homie's girl is one thing, but trying to woo her is another thing entirely. Most of the song is just about him crushing, but this line: "I've been funny, I've been cool with the lines" suggests that he's trying to move beyond the crush phase and into stealing her. Dick move, bro.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:09 AM

I guess if I had to make a binary choice, I'd say he's a bad guy based off the "I've been cool with the lines" line which I could extrapolate into him trying to steal his friend's girlfriend. But mainly I just see him as a dude who's fallen for the same girl as his friend and is wrestling with the emotional fallout of being in regular proximity to her without being able to act on it. Not hero nor villain.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
The guy singing that song is a lousy friend and an objectifier of women.
Possibly, but I don't think the song provides enough evidence that we can be sure.

He's envious, and IMHO he hasn't crossed the line into "villain" yet, but he could easily be headed in that direction.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:27 AM

Moot point
Old 08-23-2019, 10:54 AM

The POV singer is neither. He is just a guy in a regrettable situation.

Nothing in the lyrics says he has tries to take her away from his friend or try to undermine their relationship. He just laments about a girl he cannot pursue.

And Beckdawrek, I saw what you did there.

-God
Old 08-23-2019, 10:54 AM

I think the first verse already defines him as a creep: "Jessie's got himself a girl and I want to make her mine." Not "he's lucky" or "I'm jealous" or "I wish she were mine." He wants to act on it, not just wrestle with his emotions.

He can't even justify it by thinking they aren't right for each other. After all, she's "lovin' him with that body."
Old 08-23-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
The POV singer is neither. He is just a guy in a regrettable situation.

Nothing in the lyrics says he has tries to take her away from his friend or try to undermine their relationship. He just laments about a girl he cannot pursue.

And Beckdawrek, I saw what you did there.
FWIW that would be a vote for hero. I was being a little poetic with the choices.

Last edited by Quimby; 08-23-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
I think the first verse already defines him as a creep: "Jessie's got himself a girl and I want to make her mine." Not "he's lucky" or "I'm jealous" or "I wish she were mine." He wants to act on it, not just wrestle with his emotions.
Counterpoint: He repeatedly asks "Where can I find a woman like that -- like Jessie's girl?" which wouldn't be a question if he was fixated on specifically stealing Jessie's girl.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:06 AM

There's nothing in the song that remotely suggests the singer is a "nice guy who really would be better for her". And the line Jophiel quotes above shows he's not concerned that this particular woman would be better off with him, he just wants a woman like that.

Last edited by CarnalK; 08-23-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Counterpoint: He repeatedly asks "Where can I find a woman like that -- like Jessie's girl?" which wouldn't be a question if he was fixated on specifically stealing Jessie's girl.
Yes, but he says, "I wish that I had Jessie's girl" repeatedly throughout the chorus, and the final two lines are, "I want, I want Jessie's girl." So he actually covets Jessie's girlfriend as opposed to settling for a girl just like her.

Last edited by cochrane; 08-23-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:32 AM

The last verse is:

Quote:
And I'm looking in the mirror all the time
Wondering what she don't see in me
I've been funny, I've been cool with the lines
Ain't that the way love supposed to be
Seems pretty clear that's he's trying to get Jessie's girl.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Yes, but he says, "I wish that I had Jessie's girl" repeatedly throughout the chorus, and the final two lines are, "I want, I want Jessie's girl." So he actually covets Jessie's girlfriend as opposed to settling for a girl just like her.
Well, he might settle for some other girl like that if he knew where to find one. But he clearly doesn't.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:37 AM

The singer wants to "make her mine", but never gives the impression that he's trying to steal her away. He is neither heroic nor villianous, he's just human. Therefore, I did not vote.

Key line: "Where can I find a woman like that?"

ETA: I interpret the following as the singer simply trying to learn how to be cool with the ladies, not trying to steal anyone.

"I've been funny, I've been cool with the lines
Ain't that the way love supposed to be"

Last edited by Fiddle Peghead; 08-23-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Well, he might settle for some other girl like that if he knew where to find one. But he clearly doesn't.
I figure that he's in love with Jessie's girl and wishes that she were his but also realizes that this is unfair to his friend so would rather "find a woman like that". Except, as you say, he doesn't know where to find a woman like that and so continues to pine for Jessie's girl. He also, despite "want to make her mine" and being "cool with the lines", doesn't really seem like he's trying to actively steal her. It's not a song about him trying to sabotage the relationship, it's a song about him loving Jessie's girl.

None of this makes him remotely a "hero" but I don't know if being young and in love and making regrettable emotionally-charged decisions like wishing your friend's girlfriend liked your cool lines classifies you as a villain either.

Last edited by Jophiel; 08-23-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:42 AM

He’s neither a creep villain nor a hero. He’s just jealous and wants a girl like that.

Quote:
I wish that I had Jessie's girl
Where can I find a woman like that
Like Jessie's girl
I wish that I had Jessie's girl
Where can I find a woman
Where can I find a woman like that
To say “I wish that I had Jessie's girl”, and looking at all the lyrics, it’s clear he wants a girl like her and not her.

Even this,
Quote:
And I'm looking in the mirror all the time
Wondering what she don't see in me
I've been funny, I've been cool with the lines
Ain't that the way love supposed to be
Tell me, where can I find a woman like that
He doesn’t want his friend’s girl, but one like her. But he’s not good enough for Jessie’s girl.

No vote here.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:43 AM

That's not the key line. He literally says "I want to make her mine" and he wonders what she "don't see in [him]". He's been trying to be funny and make cool lines to impress her. How is this even a question?
Old 08-23-2019, 11:43 AM

To add: I interpret it this way do to my key line above.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
That's not the key line. He literally says "I want to make her mine" and he wonders what she "don't see in [him]". He's been trying to be funny and make cool lines to impress her. How is this even a question?
He wants to make her his. What, you've never been jealous of what someone else has? But he makes no attempt to do so. And yes, he wonders that, because he is an insecure person. Who isn't sometimes? That is how this is a question. Any more questions?

Last edited by Fiddle Peghead; 08-23-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:50 AM

The mirror, funny and cool with the lines bit seems rather like he is actively trying to woo her.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
The mirror, funny and cool with the lines bit seems rather like he is actively trying to woo her.
When I wrote what I thought about that line, it was how I remembered it from just hearing the song in the past. I didn't think it through intellectually* today. Now that you point this out, that is a bit suspicious. However, the insistence throughout the song that he wants a woman like Jesse's girl is more important, I think, so my opinion stands.

*Did I really just use that word about a rather simple-minded pop song?

Last edited by Fiddle Peghead; 08-23-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
The mirror is just him being insecure. The most he seems to be actively doing is being "funny" and "cool with the lines" and wishing this made her fall into his lap.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:58 AM

Would you give the singer this much benefit of the doubt if he was singing about Jophiel's girl? Lol. When you're in love with a beautiful woman, you gotta watch your friends.

Last edited by CarnalK; 08-23-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:59 AM

I remember situations like this happening in high school. A couple of close friends meet a girl. Sparks fly and suddenly one of the guy's is the third wheel watching these two date.

High school romances came and went frequently. Jesse's Girl is a bit more intense because the romance may lead to marriage.

I don't see the guy as hero or villain. He hasn't done anything wrong yet.

Btw, this is similar to the plot of the Graduate with Dustin Hoffman seeing Katherine Ross getting married.

Last edited by aceplace57; 08-23-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Would you give the singer this much benefit of the doubt if he was singing about Jophiel's girl? Lol.
No, but then I'd be emotionally vested. Same reason why I probably shouldn't serve on the jury of the guy suspected of stealing my car.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Btw, this is similar to the plot of the Graduate with Dustin Hoffman seeing Katherine Ross getting married.
It's also similar to the billions of times guys have been jealous of a woman in theatre, song and real life.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:06 PM

"Jesse's girl" is a stand-in for any woman like Jesse's girlfriend. Singer has been "cool with the lines" not to Jesse's girlfriend but to other women like her and just hasn't gotten anywhere. He wants to find a woman who is responsive to him but hasn't yet been able.

Or he's just trying to cut Jesse out of the picture.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

The tragic point of the whole song is that Jessie's girl is named Stacy and Jessie is really in love with Stacy's mom. 'Cuz she's got it going on, of course.

If Jessie would get off his butt and make the move to Stacy's mom this would all sort out just fine for everyone with the exception of Stacy's dad.

Glad to help,
Bubba
Old 08-23-2019, 12:29 PM

Seriously, though, he doesn’t even think of her by her name. Does he even know it? Does he care? Is she even a person to him?
Old 08-23-2019, 12:33 PM

From https://web.archive.org/web/20080706..._350_103.jhtml, based on Rick Springfield on Oprah Winfrey

Oprah asks Rick the question on everyone's mind—is Jessie's girl a real person? "Oh, yeah," Rick says. "All my songs start from a core of a relationship." Although his fantasy girl was real, Jessie wasn't. "Her boyfriend's name was actually Gary and not Jessie, but Gary just somehow didn't sing right," Rick says. "So I changed it to Jessie."

Rick can't say Gary's girl's name—because he can't remember what it was! "I was never really introduced to her. It was always just, like, panting from afar," he says. To this day, Rick thinks Gary's girl doesn't know the famous song is all about her. "As far as I know, she doesn't know," he says. "And I lost contact with them before the song came out."

So, if it was "panting from afar", he's not doing anything. I see the "charade" in the song is him not getting involved - staying afar.
And I think the looking in the mirror section is about wondering why the girl went for his friend when he thought he was doing everything right.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:53 PM

He's a "Nice Guy" creep/villain.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:59 PM

Now the dude in "Is She Really Going Out With Him"?? That guy is about to snap.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:15 PM

I don't see anything in the lyrics that make the speaker look like a villain, but I don't know if this is a reliable narrator. I've been in Jessie's girl's position, and I suspect the friend of the guy I was seeing, had he written a song like this, would have also portrayed himself in a sympathetic light, when in fact he was rather creepy and obnoxious. Many of us have pined for someone from afar, but some should really pine from a little farther away.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
The singer wants to "make her mine", but never gives the impression that he's trying to steal her away. He is neither heroic nor villianous, he's just human. Therefore, I did not vote.

Key line: "Where can I find a woman like that?"

ETA: I interpret the following as the singer simply trying to learn how to be cool with the ladies, not trying to steal anyone.

"I've been funny, I've been cool with the lines
Ain't that the way love supposed to be"
That would be a hero vote.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:39 PM

Hero just means you don't think he's a creep trying to ruin his friend's relationship. If you think he' just a normal guy in a rough situation that's "Hero".

I should have included a voter explanation card
Old 08-23-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaDog View Post
The tragic point of the whole song is that Jessie's girl is named Stacy and Jessie is really in love with Stacy's mom. 'Cuz she's got it going on, of course.

If Jessie would get off his butt and make the move to Stacy's mom this would all sort out just fine for everyone with the exception of Stacy's dad.

Glad to help,
Bubba
Have you seen this?https://xkcd.com/575/

Last edited by Andy L; 08-23-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:51 PM

We need a sequel song where we get Jessie's perspective on the whole affair. Sort of like Shel Silverstein's "Father of a Boy Named Sue."
Old 08-23-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Seriously, though, he doesn’t even think of her by her name. Does he even know it? Does he care? Is she even a person to him?
Wow, THAT was a leap.

-God
Old 08-23-2019, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wow, THAT was a leap.
It's the same thing I was thinking. The singer isn't really interesting in Jesse's girl. He's jealous because Jesse has something that he doesn't have. The song could just as easily be about Jesse's car.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
It's the same thing I was thinking. The singer isn't really interesting in Jesse's girl. He's jealous because Jesse has something that he doesn't have. The song could just as easily be about Jesse's car.
I think that's one possible interpretation, consistent with the lyrics of the song but not required by them.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
Now the dude in "Is She Really Going Out With Him"?? That guy is about to snap.
To Rick Springfield's credit, he's at least looking inward and wondering what's wrong with him that he can't find a woman like that. Joe Jackson is wondering what the woman's malfunction is for picking those dudes instead of him.

(within the context of the song; I'm not seriously implying anything)
Old 08-23-2019, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

For those who haven't seen it, I've loved the Jimmy Kimmel sketch on the making of "Jessie's Girl."
Old 08-23-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
When you're in love with a beautiful woman, you gotta watch your friends.
Hey now, that's a different song for a different thread, because...
Quote:
When you're in love with a beautiful woman, you know it's hard
Everybody wants her, everybody loves her
Everybody wants to take your baby home
Old 08-23-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
"you I wish that I had Jessie's Car
Jessie's Car
Why can't find an auto like that?
Like Jessie's Car"

Seriously, you have never had a painful crush on a friend's girlfriend\boyfriend?

-God
Old 08-23-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
"you I wish that I had Jessie's Car
Jessie's Car
Why can't find an auto like that?
Like Jessie's Car"

Seriously, you have never had a painful crush on a friend's girlfriend\boyfriend?
I have never, but I can imagine it can be a very painful thing.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:42 PM

Where can I find a woman like that? I've thought about this line.
Does she have a sister? Friends?
Birds of a feather, as they say. Network through her. She might be able to set you up.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If I had, I would identify her by her name. I wouldn't be calling her Jessie's girl or Hank's wife. And he's not even sure if he wants whats-her-name or a girl like her.

This isn't a guy who's fallen for his dream girl. This is an incel who's upset that his buddy has a girlfriend and he doesn't.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Hey now, that's a different song for a different thread, because...

Damned back stabbers!

Quote:
All you fellows who have someone and you really care, yeah, yeah
Then it's all of you fellows who better beware, yeah yeah
Somebody's out to get your lady
A few of your buddies they sure look shady
Blades are long, clenched tight in their fist
Aimin' straight at your back
And I don't think they'll miss
(What they do!)
(They smile in your face)
All the time they want to take your place
The back stabbers (back stabbers)
I keep gettin' all these visits from my friends, yeah, what they doin to me
They come to my house again and again and again and again, yeah...
https://youtu.be/hzTeLePbB08
Old 08-24-2019, 12:51 AM

Quote:
This is an incel who's upset that his buddy has a girlfriend and he doesn't.
Nah. If he was an incel, he'd be insulting her and saying it's because of feminism that he can't get laid.