Old 08-23-2019, 06:26 PM

Chicken Sandwich Wars

I'm surprised there isn't already been a post on this.

Popeye's has started serving a chicken sandwich. There has been some back and forth between them, Chick-fil-a, and Wendy's as to who has the best sandwich.

We tried the Popeye's one (actually two) the other night and I have to say it is darned good. They have the "classic" which is pickles and mayo or the "spicy" which is Cajun Spread (spicy mayo) and pickles. The chicken and buns are the same. My wife and I split them and we both agree that the spicy was best.

I like all three but I think I would rate them (best to still really good) Popeye's, CFA, Wendy's. Popeye's is closest to me and they are open on Sunday so I think that will be my go to now.

Anyone else tried one?
Old 08-23-2019, 06:36 PM

Intended for Cafe Society
Old 08-23-2019, 06:59 PM

I don't have a go-to chicken sandy because it's rare that I have one at all (breaded chicken to me doesn't need bread). I would get them on a on demand basis in which strikes my fancy at the moment. Last chicken sandwich that I can recall was at Wendys in 2015 - yes it was good and IIRC a spicy promo version. CFA I have had perhaps 2 years before that, and while OK, it didn't live up to the CFA hype. I may have been missing a sandwich or 2 in my count, but if so that's about it.

Last edited by kanicbird; 08-23-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

I've tried two different Popeye's this week, and both were sold out. They debuted here (or were test marketed here) six weeks ago or so, and I meant to try them back then, but just forgot about it until this week. I was curious why both Popeye's were out, but I guess they just made their nationwide debut and there's been some social network chatter about it or something?

Anyhow, I like both CFA's and Wendy's. The closest CFA to me is a little bit of a trek (about a half hour), and there's a Wendy's about 3 minutes away, so I'm more likely to go to the Wendy's (although I only have one maybe once a month at the most.) The spicy chicken sandwich is the only item I like at Wendy's, but I really like it. My preference, though, is for the CFA sandwich.

I have high hopes for the Popeye's sandwich. I understand it's going to be a bit more dressed up than a CFA sandwich, but I'm cool with it. I just like Popeye's in general, so I assume they'll make a decent chicken sandwich. Why it's taken them so long is beyond me. I could have sworn they already had a chicken sandwich, but I guess it was a chicken poboy made with their tenders (which I found quite enjoyable and is still a chicken sandwich.)

Then there's the local chicken sandwich places. I've a few to check out yet, but there's a Nashville hot chicken place called Fry the Coop that I really love that I go to when I get a chicken sandwich hankering. Their extra hot is stupid hot, and they have a hot level above that. I've finished the extra hot, but these days I just get the regular hot (which is still pretty darn hot. I'd say a CFA or Wendy's spicy is somewhere between mild and medium level there.)
Old 08-23-2019, 07:51 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
Intended for Cafe Society
Done
Old 08-23-2019, 08:06 PM

I had read that Popeye's had a competitor sandwich, and thought good thoughts. I saw a you tube video comparing the two, and was stunned at how much mayo the Popeye's version had. I don't do the mayo. I'll give my local Popeye's exactly one chance to make me one with no mayo on it. (I kind of 50/50 think they're going to fuck it up, and slather it with mayo.)

Last edited by bobot; 08-23-2019 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

I've been getting Wendy's Asiago Ranch Chicken Club (spicy) lately.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 08-23-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:15 PM

There was a story tonight on the news about the "chicken sandwich wars". Apparently Popeye's had long lines at a lot of their locations, and fights broke out between customers and store staff when they ran out. Wendy's was also apparently taunting Popeye's on social media about who had the best chicken sandwich.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
. I saw a you tube video comparing the two, and was stunned at how much mayo the Popeye's version had. I don't do the mayo.
See, now I hadn't heard of this but this description seems right down my alley, especially a spicy version. Love mayo and I like all my sandwiches more or less heavily dressed. This is my current favorite chicken sandwich and it can get a bit happily sloppy with that wet slaw and spread.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 08-23-2019 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:46 PM

I'm not enjoying the chicken sandwich wars as much as the fish sandwich war that went on a few months ago. Sonic put out a fish sandwich that I swear is good ol' catfish. Can't beat that.
I'm gonna try the Popeyes chicken sandwich, though. I think I'll like it with out the mayo, too. Mustard for me!

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 08-23-2019 at 09:47 PM. Reason: zo
Old 08-23-2019, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Popeye's spicy chicken sandwich is excellent. It was big, crispy, and tasted like Popeye's chicken.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
I like all my sandwiches more or less heavily dressed.
You will like it then. They were very heavy on the mayo. I really think that it was the amount of sandwiches they were selling and they were slapping it on as quick as they could. Many people were ordering 10 or more. Many people were reporting issues of selling out as well. I guess we got lucky.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:20 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Yeah, this thing was HUGE all over the internets for the past week.

I think there’s a Popeye’s in Brooklyn Heights. I’ve never seen a Wendy’s anywhere in NYC. And Chicken-Fil-A hates them homersexuals, so I doubt there's one within a hundred miles.

When I want a chicken sandwich, I take roasted or poached breast meat and pack it onto a thinly-buttered piece of seeded rye or good white bread, top it with thin slices of ripe August tomatoes, and cover it with another piece of bread thickly slathered with mayonnaise and salted and peppered. Let it rest for fifteen minutes or so so the mayo and tomato juices can merge with the chicken.

(Drool) Oh sorry...you guys are talking about fast food. I’ll see myself out.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

I have only had Wendy's and Chick-Fil-a's, but I do know Popeye's chicken and would not be surprised if they make the best one.

Is KFC not in this mix?
Old 08-23-2019, 10:35 PM

KFC--yuk yuk yuk. As in 3 times gross! Not funny.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:40 PM

I was tempted to buy a sandwich at Church's yesterday, but ended up getting a combo instead. Anybody here tried a Church's sandwich lately?
Old 08-24-2019, 07:55 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Popeyes has a lot of work to do to get me to pick them over Chick-Fil-A. I like Popeyes but there is a CFA about a mile from my house. I usually get the salad anyway.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Popeyes has a lot of work to do to get me to pick them over Chick-Fil-A. I like Popeyes but there is a CFA about a mile from my house. I usually get the salad anyway.
That is the opposite of my situation... I could walk to Popeye's if I wanted. CFA isn't far but it would be about triple or quadruple the time/distance. Much longer time if I pull into the drive thru at CFA on a Sunday

Plus I thought Popeye's was better.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

CFA has my favorite chicken sandwich, but I boycott them, so haven't been there in years. Wendy's is pretty good. Bojangle's is my favorite when it's fresh, but pretty often their sandwiches taste old and dried-out. I look forward to the Popeye's experience.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:45 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
That is the opposite of my situation... I could walk to Popeye's if I wanted. CFA isn't far but it would be about triple or quadruple the time/distance. Much longer time if I pull into the drive thru at CFA on a Sunday

Plus I thought Popeye's was better.
There is a Popeyeís where I work but itís in a tiny lot that it shares with a convenience store. Horrible set up. I hate going in there. It may be the closest one to my house and thatís about 25 miles away.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:55 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

I had a Popeye's classic sandwich the other day (after being disappointed because they were sold out the previous night) and it was quite tasty. I don't like mayo or pickles so I got it plain, but the chicken was flavorful and went well with the bun. I think it lives up to the hype.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:29 PM

I like the homestyle chicken sandwiches at Wendy's.

Chick-fil-A is just a little better.

I haven't tried the Popeyes sandwiches yet. I'll get by there next week.

It better be mild. I can't eat spicy.

Last edited by aceplace57; 08-24-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:52 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

I drove past the Popeyeís near work. Iíll be kind and say the parking lot was chaotic. If I didnít want to be kind I would say it was apocalyptic. The hype is working. I think Iíll stay away until the hype dies down.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:32 AM

My vote is for Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich. We don't have a Popeye's or a CFA here, but..... a while back someone here posted that Sam's Club was selling their version of a CFA sandwich in the frozen section. I took a look at them and noticed that in the ingredients is DILL. I hate dill with a passion. I think one of McDonald's chicken sandwiches has that flavor too. IIR it was a homestyle or country sandwich. Dill overpowers everything else.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:45 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

We walked across Prospect Park with the dogs yesterday and ended up at the weekly “Smorgasbord,” a food festival with dozens of booths run by indy food purveyors.

One of the first in line offered these same kind of chicken sandwiches in Mild (with chipotle aioli), Nashville Hot, and Extra Hot. I went with the happy medium and thought it was kickass. The pickles are a wonderful idea.

Unfortunately the Nashville Hot, already thoroughly moistened by pepper sauce, did not include any mayonnaise-like substance.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:48 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

In other good news, I met the head of a small company which is going to begin distributing jars of roasted New Mexico Hatch green chiles to stores ALL OVER THE CITY about two weeks from now.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:53 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I drove by Popeye's the other day and the drive-thru was crowded so I kept going. I will definitely be checking it out! I don't like CFA sandwiches.

I think KFC sandwiches are pretty good to be honest. I think I've tried Wendy's and it was good.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:17 PM

Popeyes being open on Sundays is gonna be a tipping point. But my favorite thing at CFA are the chicken minis. Wee little pillows of heaven. Someone needs to come out with a version of those!
Old 08-27-2019, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
In other good news, I met the head of a small company which is going to begin distributing jars of roasted New Mexico Hatch green chiles to stores ALL OVER THE CITY about two weeks from now.
what does this have to do with anything?
Old 08-27-2019, 03:06 AM

Since our Popeyes is in a Shell gas station I had my doubts about this new thing being a big deal around here. I drove by today and it was packed. I kept moving. I was in the pharmacy and overheard two guys talking about how good the sandwiches were. They were gushing. A clerk was listening, she said that they called to see if there was a chance of getting some sandwiches. No one answered the phone, she said. They sent one of their crew to get them. I didn't have the heart to tell her how many cars were at the Shell station/Popeyes.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 08-27-2019 at 03:08 AM.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:21 AM

actually i liked the original jack in the box spicy chicken sandwich and when they quit makng those I switched to wendys ....Bk had a chicken sandwich for a dollar but they were always burnt ....
Old 08-27-2019, 03:24 AM

were supposed ot be getting a chick a fil ill try em once but ill hate my self in the morning .....
Old 08-27-2019, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
....and Chicken-Fil-A hates them homersexuals, so I doubt there's one within a hundred miles.
There are at least 2 that Iíve seen in Manhattan (both opened up a couple of years ago). And despite the companyís backwards political/religious leanings, the lines are generally out the door and around the block at lunch time. Iíve also seen Wendyís locations.

But I assure you that there are at least a dozen of each within a 100 miles of Brooklyn.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
... there is a CFA about a mile from my house. I usually get the salad anyway.
The grilled chicken salad at CFA is really good.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:53 AM

There is no CFA here in Canada, but there's a Popeyes near me so after reading this thread I thought I'd try their new chicken sandwich this afternoon. I like spicy, so I picked the Cajun. It was pretty good, and I liked the toasted bun it was in, but man, it was spicy-hot! I have a high tolerance for hot, and this was just on the this side of being almost uncomfortably hot. Next time I'm going for something milder.

It's interesting reading about the huge crowds around Popeyes in the US, as the one in my neighborhood is so consistently deserted that I wonder how they stay in business. Today there was one person in front of me who had just finished ordering, two patrons at a table, and that was it. Meanwhile the McDonald's a few hundred yards away constantly has both lines of the drive-through backed up well into the parking lot. Go figure!

I have yet to have a better chicken sandwich than the one I make myself, which starts with boneless skinless chicken breasts rubbed down with spices and well marinated in my Secret Marinade and grilled on the barbecue, then sliced and put on a toasted bun with bacon, romaine lettuce, and mayo. The best foods are often just the right combination of quality and simplicity!
Old 08-27-2019, 05:45 AM

Here in Saudi we do not have Wendy’s nor Chik-fil-a. We do have Popeye’s. I suppose I will have to check it out in the next few weeks.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 08-27-2019, 07:27 AM

I think Chick-fil-A is incredibly overrated. Their sandwich is fine, better than McDonald's, worse than Wendy's. Never understood the long lines. Yeah, they're clean and the service is great, but I'm only ever going through the drive through.

Popeye's are a bit rare near me, but there is one around a mile from my apartment. I'm been trying to eat better, but I'll have to try it at some point. Probably when the hype dies down slightly.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:44 AM

I'm rather perplexed that Popeye's doesn't use their spicy breading for the spicy chicken sandwich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
I think Chick-fil-A is incredibly overrated. Their sandwich is fine, better than McDonald's, worse than Wendy's. Never understood the long lines. Yeah, they're clean and the service is great, but I'm only ever going through the drive through.

Popeye's are a bit rare near me, but there is one around a mile from my apartment. I'm been trying to eat better, but I'll have to try it at some point. Probably when the hype dies down slightly.
In my limited experience, C-f-a's sandwich is consistently very good, and their service is consistently very good. Once in a while you might get a good one from Wendy's, but you're just as likely to get one where the chicken filet has been sitting under heat lamps for who knows how long and is dry and chewy. And you had to wait forever for it because the place was staffed by yahoos.

Last edited by jz78817; 08-27-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

I've had Chick-Fil-A's sandwich and....no joke...I'd say the McChicken($1 around me) is almost as good. I have to try this new Popeye's thing.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:40 PM

Around 15 or 20 years ago, the first Chick-Fil-A in the Chicago area opened a few miles from my house. People literally camped out in the parking lot for days before it opened. That is simply insane, as is getting into a fistfight because a fast food place ran out of something.
Having said that, CFA makes a damn good sandwich. I often get it when traveling, but now the closest CFA to me is 25 miles away, and not an easy 25 miles.

I used to live one block from a Wendy's, and while I occasionally went for a burger, their spicy chicken sandwich was my go-to order. I liked them, but it's literally been years since I've had one.

I'd love to try the Popeye's sandwich, but I have no idea when I'll be able to do so. There is exactly one Popeye's in the city of San Francisco, and it's in a neighborhood I'm rarely near. There's a Wendy's in Daly City, about 7 miles from me. Not worth the trip in itself, but I should remember that if I'm driving through and have a hankering.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
Around 15 or 20 years ago, the first Chick-Fil-A in the Chicago area opened a few miles from my house.
Actually, it was only nine years, not 15-20.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining...420-story.html
Old 08-27-2019, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Is this a new chicken sandwich to supplement/replace an extant sandwich, or did Popeye's really not have a chicken sandwich before?

One thing I learned from my wife is, KFC is more than just the bucket, which is something I'd never thought of before. They have credible non-bucket food. I'd've imagined Popeye's did, too, except I don't have one reasonably close to me.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
Around 15 or 20 years ago, the first Chick-Fil-A in the Chicago area opened a few miles from my house. People literally camped out in the parking lot for days before it opened.
CFA does a thing where the first 100 customers to a new store get free chicken coupons for a year. People camp out and make a party/boxing ring out of it. Search 'Chick fill a grand opening rules' for better details.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post

I was wondering about that, too, as it didn't seem Chick Fil As have been around quite that long in the Chicago area but, hey, at this age, nine years, twenty years, it's all the same....
Old 08-27-2019, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
Is this a new chicken sandwich to supplement/replace an extant sandwich, or did Popeye's really not have a chicken sandwich before?
The latter. Fast food places can't rest on their laurels these days it seems and the old tried and true sale item of fried chicken pieces apparently wasn't enough. Even if said chicken was generally considered the best of their various competitors. Gotta keep up with the likes of KFC and Chick-fil-A.

Seems to have been pretty massively successful, to the point of overwhelming the distribution chain. Kinda the anti-New Coke.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 08-27-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I was wondering about that, too, as it didn't seem Chick Fil As have been around quite that long in the Chicago area but, hey, at this age, nine years, twenty years, it's all the same....
Damn. Apparently my entire adulthood is a blur.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:22 AM

The long lines deterred me from trying a Popeyes Chicken sandwich. There's always next time. They'll be restocked in a few weeks.

The crowds at Chick-fil-A always surprise me. The Little Rock location has been there at least twenty-five years. There's a line every day. Like it's their grand opening. I drop by maybe 3 times a month. I like the sandwich but it's not my go to lunch.

I always order the lemonade. AFAIK it's the only fast food restaurant that sells fresh made lemonade.

Last edited by aceplace57; 08-28-2019 at 03:25 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:08 AM

Popeye's really seems to have hit a home run from a marketing perspective with this one. I have seen zero TV ads for this, nor heard anything on the radio. Social media and YouTube seem to have been just the thing.
(I'll admit that I don't watch a lot of TV, so perhaps I've just missed the advertising.)

Last edited by bobot; 08-28-2019 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:10 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

This past weekend, we were traveling with the inlaws, and they wanted to stop at CFA for lunch. Never in my life have I had such a mediocre chicken sandwich. I honestly don't understand why so many people rave about it.

I don't particularly care for Popeye's, and I never had chicken at Wendy's. I used to love Hardee's chicken biscuits for breakfast - do they still make them? The closest one to me is over an hour away in Virginia, so I haven't been to one in eons.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
The latter. Fast food places can't rest on their laurels these days it seems and the old tried and true sale item of fried chicken pieces apparently wasn't enough. Even if said chicken was generally considered the best of their various competitors. Gotta keep up with the likes of KFC and Chick-fil-A.
I'm a little surprised just because I'd think that they'd want to sell something you can eat in the car. Ok, you CAN eat pieces of fried chicken while driving but that's considerably less optimal than a sandwich (setting aside the inherent distraction of eating while driving).