Old 08-09-2019, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

World of Warcraft Classic starting Aug 2019

For those unfamiliar: there have been many, many changes to how character classes function in the 15 years since World of Warcraft (WoW) launched. Some were definitely quality-of-life improvements, but others were tweaks with unclear or upsetting goals, often to balance player-versus-player combat.

Eventually private servers, unauthorized by the publisher, sprang up, and many of them emulated the original behavior of the game in its early years. This is Blizzard's gamble that there is enough long-lasting interest in this "classic" ruleset to make keeping a separate set of servers worthwhile. This official Class version will be based on a version released in 2006, albeit with some behind-the-scenes infrastructure, performance and programming improvements.

Optional name reservation will start on Monday August 12, where you can reserve up to three names:
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...p-m-pdt/242723

The full launch is scheduled for August 26/27 (depending on your location).

Anyone with an active WoW subscription can also play the Classic version. The Blizzard launcher has an option to choose Classic; this will be a separate download.

Third-party add-ons are supported, but they must be designed specifically for the Classic version.

============

I had bought WoW within 3 months of launch (January 2005 I believe, for my birthday). I have enjoyed it immensely over the years, as a purely casual player; I never did raids and only occasionally dungeons. But the trend that kept turning me off is that every major release or expansion brought a change-of-mechanics and undoing of many hours of work (and, of course, changes to your "talents" that required you to rethink your skills). I'm excited about Classic because finally we'll have a stable, persistent world.

Some examples of what I mean by the frustration experienced by myself and others: you may spend many hours (and "gold") learning to create super-duper arrows or bonus-granting quivers, or a life-giving bandage from the First Aid profession, only to have a new release eliminate arrows and quivers, or remove the First Aid profession altogether, or removing weapon enchantments as a concept (leveling Enchanting was particularly expensive). Another example is grinding for, or spending a lot of gold on, equipment that provides a boost to a stat, only to have that stat have a reduced role (or be eliminated) in a future release.

So: anyone else planning to play? As of this OP, the Classic realm (server) list has not been released, but it is supposed to be published in the next day or so.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

I'll play again. Original WoW was far better than the current treadmill the game has begun. It felt more like a world than a game. The original classes were quirky, not just different flavors of the same thing. Having actually talent trees and not being locked into a role will be nice.

A Paladin will be my main, although I'm likely to have plenty of alts. I prefer RP servers, just to have a modicum of non-leetness.

However, City of Heroes is keeping me occupied. I'm likely to swap back and forth between the games.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

You have time for... more than one game?
Old 08-09-2019, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
A Paladin will be my main
When I first started playing in 2005 a Paladin was my first character (and I still have him, of course), and I played him for a very long time. But then after taking over my nephew's Hunter, I realized just how slow it was to level a Paladin by comparison.

Paladins NOW do pretty well, and that guy in the current release can put out some damage. But Version 1 Paladins are pretty weak in damage output, even in Retribution spec. Conceptually, I love the Pally, but the slog is pretty dreadful (as a solo player).
Old 08-09-2019, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

American realms just announced:

Name Type Time Zone
Atiesh Normal Pacific
Mankrik Normal Eastern
Myzrael Normal Pacific
Pagle Normal Eastern

Name Type Time Zone
Faerlina PvP Eastern
Fairbanks PvP Pacific
Herod PvP Eastern
Thalnos PvP Eastern
Whitemane PvP Pacific

Name Type Time Zone
Bloodsail Buccaneers RP Eastern
Grobbulus RP-PvP Pacific
Old 08-09-2019, 06:19 PM

I'm trying to figure out what they think demand is going to be based on 11 NA servers. 300,000 for NA?

I like the SM theme for the server names. Don't like the Naxx names.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Apparently the public test that started yesterday will continue through at least Sunday, if not Monday. Anyone with an active subscription can participate.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Ah... vanilla WOW. I remember corpse-dragging through the Barrens and trying to hide a brown-red 8 foot tall cowgirl in the green foliage of Stranglethorn Vale to avoid the mighty level 60 gankers....

I'm still playing my Tauren shaman 15 years later. She's much happier these days, and filthy filthy rich.

Last edited by Broomstick; 08-09-2019 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

I can't imagine anyone willingly choosing to do the paladin epic mount quest again. It took me months of buying thorium at the Auction House, crafting it into Imperial Plate, and selling it at a markup the market would bear before I could afford the mats for it, and then a few more weeks to find a group that was willing to do DM and Scholo so I could finish it.

To say nothing of the fact that the only quest types back then were "kill twenty bears" and "bring me six bear asses" (and, of course, only about one in six bears had an ass that was lootable.)

Last edited by Smapti; 08-09-2019 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:40 PM

“We choose to do the epic mount quest in WoW Classic and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard.”

That’s essentially the point of it.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:21 PM

Blizzard is aware how much more popular Old School Runescape is than regular Runescape and are following in lockstep. Nostalgia is strong.
Old 08-11-2019, 03:26 PM

Nostalgia and also a sense of calm, quiet pacing. Current MMOs (and retail WoW especially) are hand in hand with action RPGs to constantly shower the player in new things, bright effects, new spells, YOU JUST LEVELLED, you've earned a super item, here's a million points, go there, do this, dodge that, QUICK ! And do it all before the servers reset !

It's exhausting, really. I just want to chat with my mates while we're leasurely strolling through a dungeon, stopping to fish at that spot that's better than the others. I wanna enjoy gameplay at level 15 for a while, rather than it being a 30s period between 14 and 16, itself a blink of an eye before MaxLevel where the "real" gameplay begins, yanno ?

Anyway, 3 friends of mine and I are discussing which server we wanna colonize ; probably either Hydraxian Waterlords or Zandalar Tribe (the UK PvE RP and PvP RP servers respectively).
Old 08-11-2019, 10:12 PM

I think the people who are nostalgic for raids and the 'oh, this is new' feeling will be sorely disappointed. Raids especially are going to be 'meh' now that everyone knows how to do them and most people realize the main problem isn't locating good players but just coordinating schedules.

But I'm looking forward to the old leveling areas - the new story focused areas were pretty neat when they were added in WOLK, but they also were made to run through once then leave, and if you play now XP is so fast you just blink by them. I want to sit around a zone finding good killing spots and poking around for quests I half remember, and to bump into other people playing the same zone, and maybe team up for a while. I'm playing a druid, so I'm also going to do a lot of dungeon running (people like you when you can tank or heal in your leveling spec) and stealthing around soloing elites and dungeon bosses.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:18 PM

I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, but since the investment was low, I made some characters on Herod horde-side since that's the most popular realm.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

I've nothing against the Horde (really!), but I've never been a fan of their cities; I get lost...a lot.

So I've created my three Alliance "early registration" characters on Mankrik.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:26 PM

I greatly enjoyed playing the Stress Test over the weekend.

Reserved a few choice 2-letter names on Bloodsail Buccaneers (RP PvE)
Old 08-13-2019, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Let me guess, Raza, some of your best friends are orcs, right?
Old 08-13-2019, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

I live next door to a nice Tauren family. And I think there is a family of Undead across the street, but I don't think it polite to ask directly. They look Undead and have an Undead-sounding surname.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:34 PM

I don’t care much for the Horde, except for Tauren. My first WoW character ever (waaay back in the original beta for the game) was a Tauren shaman named Trample. I have a soft spot for them because of that.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:24 AM

Apparently Herod is so overpopulated that Blizzard is anticipating a 10,000 player queue. That ain't good.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

... but it DOES remind me of early days when the game's popularity was surging and they were struggling to keep up....
Old 08-18-2019, 09:48 AM

I love a good train wreck. I have every intention of rolling a toon on Herod just to go have a look at how crazy it is on opening day.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
You have time for... more than one game?
In fact, I have time for zero games, but somehow play anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raza View Post
When I first started playing in 2005 a Paladin was my first character (and I still have him, of course), and I played him for a very long time. But then after taking over my nephew's Hunter, I realized just how slow it was to level a Paladin by comparison.
Yes, I know, I've played paladins for a long time. I'm not going to play with any sort of rush. I love the mechanics of the classic Paladin: auras, blessings, seals, judgements. The grind is fun when I'm a Paladin.

But in any case, I'm sure to make alts of every class.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

You know, Pleonast, ever since I replied to you, I've been pondering...yeah, Paladins are slow to level, at least in solo play....but darn they are kind of fun. To me, at least as fun as Druids, which will be one of my alts.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:10 AM

I'm looking forward to Classic. 99% decided on Resto Shaman.

My guild is getting dang close on Heroic Azshara. Really hoping we get her Thursday night (we raid Tues-Thurs) so that we're not trying to push it next week when people wanting to mess around with Classic instead.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Full Americas realm list, including several that will be added Monday August 26 at 1pm Eastern/10am Pacific:

Code:
Name              Type              Time Zone
Atiesh            Normal            Pacific
Mankrik           Normal            Eastern
Myzrael           Normal            Pacific
Old Blanchy       Normal            Pacific
Pagle             Normal            Eastern
Westfall          Normal            Eastern

Bigglesworth      PvP               Pacific
Blaumeux          PvP               Pacific
Faerlina          PvP               Eastern
Fairbanks         PvP               Pacific
Herod             PvP               Eastern
Incendius         PvP               Eastern
Skeram            PvP               Eastern
Stalagg           PvP               Eastern
Thalnos           PvP               Eastern
Whitemane         PvP               Pacific

Bloodsail Bucc.   RP                Eastern
Grobbulus         RP-PvP            Pacific
In addition, up to 10 names per server can be created/reserved starting at that same time, which is 5 hours before official US launch.

I've already created 3 on Mankrik, but I like the Westfall name better, so I may create some there, too.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

I'll try to log in on Monday, but if there's a queue, I'll play CoH instead. There's no way I can keep up with the main group of levelers, so I'll be content to putter later.

I'm glad there's only one RP server, but a little worried that it's only "medium". That might encourage some players to roll there just to avoid queues. I hope Blizzard keeps being proactive on the server count.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Today is the day!
Old 08-26-2019, 02:45 PM

I'm either going to be on Alliance on Stalagg (sic) or Incendius, depending on some last moment queue things. If you're also on one of these servers, that's cool. I would like to add you on B.net.

I'll post my tag once I've picked.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:48 AM

Anyone manage to play? When I tried to log in I faced a queue of 5800 and an estimated wait time of around an hour, so I just played FFXIV instead. I can wait until the novelty wears off and wait times get more reasonable.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:49 AM

I got home from work and queued up about 5 minutes before the servers went live. I think when i first got in the queue i was about #6700 in line on the Fairbanks server. It took over 5 hours before i was able to log in.

I rolled a Tauren Shaman, and starting area wasn't over crowded at all (that aspect was about 1,000 times better than i expected it would be now that i think about it). Good number of people running around questing, people grouping up and working together and buffing each other. I healed a few random strangers that were in trouble, and a few that weren't. I made it to level 10 before calling it a night. All just questing in Mulgore (but i haven't been to Thunder Bluff yet!).
Old 08-27-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Jaguar View Post
Anyone manage to play? When I tried to log in I faced a queue of 5800 and an estimated wait time of around an hour, so I just played FFXIV instead. I can wait until the novelty wears off and wait times get more reasonable.
Maybe this was just launch day, but i'd say don't pay any attention to the estimated wait time, just watch how fast the queue is moving (if it's moving at all). In the 5+ hours i had to wait, i don't think the estimated wait was ever accurate. It hung around 24-27 minutes estimated wait for a couple hours, then it started jumping all over the place.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Jaguar View Post
No queue on the EU PvE RP server (as expected ), but man, those first few hours were annoying. Everybody killing wolves as far as the eye can see ! There was even a dungeon long queue to kill the named troll for a quest, it was ridiculous. I kept a screenshot, I'll dub it "how hard are you prepared to work for 450 XP ?"
Old 08-27-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
I'm either going to be on Alliance on Stalagg (sic)
I 'aff Zog-zogged nothink !
Old 08-27-2019, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

On Monday launch at 0 hour I got right in, chose my pre-created character, and got to level 4...until Wife aggro'd and I got called for dinner. Logging in again after 2 hours I ended up with about a 100 minute (actual) wait.

Today, during the day (I took the day off), I got right in, twice, and played as much as I wanted, dinging level 10. But just now, at 7:50ish, I'm back in line for probably well over an hour.

This will change over time, I'm certain. There are a lot of people who are curious, and they'll probably start fading in a week or two. Not fun for the moment, though.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:16 PM

I have not been able to play a character yet.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Why the heck would a company like Blizzard have wait times over an hour? Surely they're renting server space from some cloud service, and have arrangements to ramp it up as needed? And surely the ramping wasn't even unanticipated, because they have a clear model of when people game?
Old 08-27-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Why the heck would a company like Blizzard have wait times over an hour? Surely they're renting server space from some cloud service, and have arrangements to ramp it up as needed? And surely the ramping wasn't even unanticipated, because they have a clear model of when people game?
I've been a fan of the Warcraft RTS games for a long time now, and while I don't particularly like the MMO incarnation, I can understand why they don't just "ramp it up".

From what I can gather on Blizzard's forums, it's a design problem, not a technical problem. The game world is designed for "smaller" groups on purpose, something along the tune of three to four thousand people per game at once. There might be a thousand players who want to see the king right now, but the virtual castle is only designed to hold a hundred people. Also, each game is always running on Blizzard's servers, and goes on for years and years unlike video games of other genres.

So they run multiple copies of the game. But once you pick one "realm", your character is locked-in for life. Again, this is due to design, not technical limitations. Well, the original game 15 years ago might have been limited by technology, but that limitation is long gone.

I found posts on battle.net lamenting how the modern World of Warcraft lets players "jump" from one game to another, just to assassinate unwitting players and then disappear before they can be arrested by other players. Apparently people are also annoyed because there are so many different games going on, you don't know if you will ever see a person you played with again. How can you make any friends?

It appears that this "cross-zone" system of jumping between games is one of the things players specifically do NOT want in World of Warcraft: Classic. Instead, Blizzard opened multiple copies of the game and locks characters to the "realm" they choose. Each "realm" is capped at so many thousands of people connecting at once, and after that you have to wait in line for people to log off before you are let in.

Apparently the problem is that Blizzard underestimated the number of "realms" they would need. Too many games and after the initial wave at launch, some will not have enough players to function properly. Too few realms and everybody will have to wait five hours just to log in. Blizzard opened two or three extra realms at the last minute, but by then it was too late since people have already created their characters and become locked to a high population realm. Then those people's friends will only want to play on the same realm, etc. Another problem I am reading about is that some people are just staying logged in while they sleep or work so they don't have to wait in line, which only exacerbates the problem.

~Max
Old 08-28-2019, 04:39 AM
Charter Member

... And all those problems existed the first time around for Vanilla 15 years ago. So guess what - the game play (and wait to log on at busy times) is an authentic recreation!

Alright, it's a slightly different/more intense problem this time around, and Blizzard could have anticipated the interest a bit more.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
... And all those problems existed the first time around for Vanilla 15 years ago. So guess what - the game play (and wait to log on at busy times) is an authentic recreation!
Ah, but do they have to shut the entire game down for six hours every Tuesday morning?

'Cause if they're not doing that, then I call shenanigans on the nostalgia factor.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Each game server only holds so many people at one time (I think 20,000 but I may be wrong). Blizzard spun up some additional servers a week before launch and after launch. A lot of players picked a particular game server when the list of servers was small and didn't want to change, and would rather sit in a queue to start their level 1 than go to another server. I came in on launch night and saw a queue on the server I had reserved my character name on, so I switched to a new server and had no queue at first, then a 30 minute queue later in the evening, and no queue yesterday.

And I'm pretty sure they don't have a clear model of when people play Classic WOW, because it was just released. They seem to have grossly underestimated demand for it for a long time, but also have no idea how many people are going to play for a week or month and then either unsubscribe or move back to retail.

EDIT: Having specific servers with static communities is one of the selling points of Classic WOW, so they can't just redesign to have unlimited people on a realm or cross-realm grouping as they'd be removing a core feature of this version of the game.

Last edited by Pantastic; 08-28-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max S.
Too many games and after the initial wave at launch, some will not have enough players to function properly.
I think this is the balancing act Blizzard (and by extension, all us players) is struggling with. I am sure they knew first-week demand was going to be extreme. But had they created 100 realms (servers), then three months from now, after all the simply-curious had their curiosity sated and left, you'd have a bunch of realms on which there are too few players- not from a technical perspective - but from a player satisfaction standpoint. You wouldn't get enough people for end-game content, not enough people for more than a few guilds, not a healthy Auction House economy.

So, everyone predicted launch would be a mess, and it was...but it's short-term. I'll bet a 1000 Gold/Space Bucks/Credits that in 3-4 weeks time, with the same number of servers, login queues even at peak times will be < 10 minutes.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Today they increased the player cap on all the realms. This will relieve the queues outside the game, but increase them inside the game as players compete for limited resources. But I think most players will prefer that.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:14 PM

Doesn't layer just provide additional resources? I don't really get how that system works to be honest.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
Doesn't layer just provide additional resources? I don't really get how that system works to be honest.
I'm not entirely sure. I think layering makes a complete copy of a zone, including mobs and resource nodes. And it tries to lock characters to a particular layer to maintain the appearance of a single world. But I know there are ways to change your layer, through grouping and instance hopping, which means some are going to manipulate things to maximize resource collection.

Once players spread out across more zones, everything will get better.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:24 PM

So far it's been surprisingly smooth, I think.

Opening week for WOW in 2014 was worse, and the game was very unstable for the first couple of months.

I've got a level 15 priest making her way through Westfall, on the Mankrik server, if anyone wants to say hi.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

My 13 Hunter on Mankrik is "Raza"; he's currently hanging around Dun Morogh (sp?), generally.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:32 PM

I'm wondering what people who never played Classic think of it. I remember finding it almost unplayable without addons. Mostly because I sucked. Still am not very good at finding my way around without quests on the map. Enjoying the things a lot of people found annoying, like a reason for food, taking care of the pet you worked so hard to get and having to think about ammo and managing your bag. Feels more real and immersive.

Gonna see if I can't find me QuestHelper or whatever it was called.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Kind of glad I hung on to my old World of Warcraft Atlas now....
Old 08-30-2019, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Couldn't they start off with extra servers (Atiesh 1 and Atiesh 2, and so on), and then merge them once the starting rush dies down? That would still provide continuity, just with (from any server's point of view) an influx of new players at some point.