View Poll Results: How Do you Interpret "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)
The relationship is affirmed - now that they know each other's hidden depths, it can be exciting. 97 69.78%
The relationship is destroyed - they can never trust each other again. 29 20.86%
Something else entirely - hopefully more creative than "This song sucks." 13 9.35%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2019, 12:10 PM

How Do You Interpret Rupert Holmes' "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)"

I realize that this song has a substantial hatedom, but I'm asking you to look outside of your blinding hatred for this one. What message do you think the song is trying to convey?

"How much easier life would be if people asked outright and took no for an answer." --Annie Xmas
Old 09-04-2019, 12:23 PM

Hmmm...I could have sworn I had question marks in there.

"How much easier life would be if people asked outright and took no for an answer." --Annie Xmas
Old 09-04-2019, 12:24 PM

I don't think it's trying to convey a message...just tell a story of two people who didn't realize they already had what they wanted.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:25 PM

I really don't think there's much below the surface of that song.
Guy decides to cheat on and/or dump his wife/girlfriend (it's not clear which), so he places an ad in the personals (which actually used to be an actual thing in actual paper newspapers). In a crazy twist of fate, his "own lovely lady" is the one who answers the ad, and they realize they were meant for each other all along.

If there's any message, I guess it's to appreciate what you already have.

(For the record, I don't hate it. But it's surely not a masterpiece of 20th-century musicianship.)
Old 09-04-2019, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

It's an excuse for Gen-Xers to reaffirm their own relationships via personals ads.

Yes, I have seen this exact ad in a personals column:
Quote:
If you like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain
If you're not into yoga, if you have half a brain
If you like making love at midnight, in the dunes of the cape
I'm the love that you've looked for, write to me, and escape.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:42 PM

You have a couple of people who are supposedly in a relationship, that are doing some pre-Tinder fooling around looking for someone to cheat on the other with.

And then the person they find is, surprise!, the partner they were trying to betray. Everyone is so happy because they both like the same things, and probably always have, and they end up together, still entirely sick of each other. They go home in a brief romantic mood and find that the dog has puked on the carpet, the dishwasher needs to be unloaded, and they did not find what they were looking for. One on the couch, one in the bedroom, both crying.

Dreaming of the "what if?" What if I had just swiped left instead of right? I would still have my somewhat imperfect marriage/relationship. But that is all gone now. And then the lawyers came.

Too sickly sweet and nausea inducing, much like a Pina Colada.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:44 PM

Given that it came out in 1979 and considering the way the song ends, it seems like they went off and enjoyed a romantic escape to a tropical beach and had their piña coladas.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:46 PM

It's a cautionary tale about the perils of not being open with your partner about what you really want. If either of them had bitten the bullet and admitted they wanted pina coladas et al., the other would have either jumped at it, and re-affirmed their relationship, or suddenly realized how stupid those desires were, allowing them to end the relationship on an honest basis.

Now it's just awkward.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:47 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by StusBlues View Post
What message do you think the song is trying to convey?
Clearly by its cheerful bouncy tone and the fact they are both laughing at the end, it intends to convey that the relationship is affirmed. Of course, a cynic (or a realist) will conclude it's destroyed, but that would require a level of self awareness on the part of both members of the couple that is not apparent in the song. They're both extremely shallow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
Guy decides to cheat on and/or dump his wife/girlfriend (it's not clear which), so he places an ad in the personals (which actually used to be an actual thing in actual paper newspapers). In a crazy twist of fate, his "own lovely lady" is the one who answers the ad, and they realize they were meant for each other all along.
Actually, she's the one who put an ad in the personals first. He reads it while she is sleeping beside him, and responds to it in kind.

Last edited by Colibri; 09-04-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:47 PM

Hold on folk...

SHE places the ad that HE is answering.

Edit: Col....come on. You beat me literally by seconds.

Last edited by Dale Sams; 09-04-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Actually, she's the one who put an ad in the personals first. He reads it while she is sleeping beside him, and responds to it in kind.

I hereby turn in my "1970's one-hit wonder expert" card.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Several years ago there was a new report about a couple who apparently actually experienced this phenomenon -- both placed personal ads and ended up inadvertently meting each other. as I recall, it didn't do much for their relationship.

I'm not surprised they hooked up again -- despite the song lyrics, you're likely to write an ad looking for someone like your current SO, and so are they. There's a pretty good chance of being set up with your prospective ex.

I really have a hard time imagining that this would make their bond better -- they were both actively looking for a new partner on the sly, which has got to make you suspicious, even if you learn more commonalities from the experience.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Clearly by its cheerful bouncy tone and the fact they are both laughing at the end, it intends to convey that the relationship is affirmed. Of course, a cynic (or a realist) will conclude it's destroyed, but that would require a level of self awareness on the part of both members of the couple that is not apparent in the song. They're both extremely shallow.
Agreed, but I would argue that a shallow person would turn on their heel and dump the chump who wanted to bail on the relationship. Never mind that they wanted to bail as well - true shallowness does not admit such self-awareness.

Conversely, it takes a certain degree of maturity and acceptance to swallow one's pride and admit that the problem all along was communication and failing to be genuine with each other.

Old 09-04-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post

I'm not surprised they hooked up again -- despite the song lyrics, you're likely to write an ad looking for someone like your current SO, and so are they. There's a pretty good chance of being set up with your prospective ex.
Something like this happened to my uncle. He'd been through a bitter divorce a few years prior, and a couple of (new) friends said they knew someone he would like.

Sure enough, they inadvertently introduced him to his ex-wife.

Last edited by StusBlues; 09-04-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Something like this happened to my uncle. He'd been through a bitter divorce a few years prior, and a couple of (new) friends said they knew someone he would like.

Sure enough, they inadvertently introduced him to his ex-wife.
I have had dating apps that matched me with exes before. I figure it is quite common.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:43 PM

I have to conclude that these people are VERY different than the people I hang around with. A couple catches each other, red handed, in the act of attempting to cheat - that doesn't end with a laugh and a, "Oh, it's you." It ends with sirens.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

It’s an episode of Love, American Style, set to a bubblegum tune.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:05 PM

Well, if two people who both kinda likes Breakfast at Tiffany's is enough for one couple then both liking Pina Colada should be good enough for this couple. If anybody doesn't know, that's from a song called Breakfast at Tiffany's by Deep Blue Something.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Author Balk View Post
Well, if two people who both kinda likes Breakfast at Tiffany's is enough for one couple then both liking Pina Colada should be good enough for this couple. If anybody doesn't know, that's from a song called Breakfast at Tiffany's by Deep Blue Something.
Something. The name of the band is “Deep Blue Somethi-

Oh.

Belay my last.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 09-04-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Love is a very stupid thing.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:42 PM

Sorry, I think I misvoted. I think the song conveys #2, but means to convey #1.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I never got the sense the Tiffany's couple stayed together though. They are breaking up, and decide they have one thing in common. So they break up with one happy memory as they walk away.
The Pina Colada couple seems like they tried to break up and ended up stuck with each other.

Last edited by xizor; 09-04-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizor View Post
I never got the sense the Tiffany's couple stayed together though. They are breaking up, and decide they have one thing in common. So they break up with one happy memory as they walk away.
The Pina Colada couple seems like they tried to break up and ended up stuck with each other.
Nah, in Breakfast at Tiffany's, the guy is trying desperately to prevent the breakup, so he grasps at one very superficial thing they agree on. My feeling is that it doesn't work.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:00 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I expect in the real world after they get past their embarrassment at looking around and their amazement that they're perfectly matched after all, they'll realize that they were cheated on and that will be that.

Or I could be wrong...
Old 09-04-2019, 04:32 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Yeah, but the things that unite them are extremely trite and are likes/dislikes shared by thousands of other couples. It's not like they're searching for a soul mate who loves Eraserhead, absinthe, and Captain Beefheart.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taber View Post
Sorry, I think I misvoted. I think the song conveys #2, but means to convey #1.
This is how I've always heard it. It's supposed to be a breezy, fun little cute pop number with a happy ending but, goddamn, I just cannot get past the whole "I was going to cheat on you, and you were going to cheat on me" scenario of the song. I really don't see something like that ending in a rekindled romance and just shrug of the shoulders and laughing the whole thing off as "what a wacky coincidence! We both like pina coladas, and dancing in the rain! And are open to cheating on our spouses!"

Yes, that relationship is a winner.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:40 PM

I voted "affirmed" because that's how I interpret that it is meant. But I agree, in real life, it would have ended with teeth on the floor.

This concept was handled better in The Munsters, where Herman and Lily, both wanting to get an anniversary present for each other, surreptitiously get part-time jobs as welders. They meet on the job, but are both wearing heavy masks, and don't know that they are each other. They start flirting, with no nefarious intentions, but things get out of hand. I seem to recall that the resolution acknowledged both interpretations were possible.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:05 PM

vI think the couple is too stupid to realize their relation ship is doomed. They THINK they affirmed it, but it is rotten at the core.

Since the song is 40 years old, they have since broke up, she is now a yoga instructor, he's working at a menial job and imagining himself 28 years old and attractive to women, neither of which is true any longer. He wears his Hawaiian shirts unbuttoned and leans in too close when he hits on 20 somethings in bars.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think you messed up your poll by asking two different questions.

I think what the song is trying to convey is the first option. But my interpretation of the relationship in the song is far more negative (though not totally hopeless).
Old 09-04-2019, 06:28 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

The relationship is doomed, and the song sucks. End of story.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

One's escape is another's prison

Mad magazine ran an article that was a series of one-panel cartoons, You Know You're Really Divorced When...

One read, "You finally sign up with a 'computer dating' service, and the only name they send you is your ex".
Old 09-04-2019, 06:56 PM

Of course I have to post this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBeKaR-IOrA&t=3s
Old 09-04-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumberdale View Post
Damn this thread is, like, crawling with ninjas! I was gonna quote Tom Servo, but no, here comes Cumberdale to spit up all over it.

That last line about spitting up is from MST3K too.

Hah! Bet you didn't see that one coming Cumberdale!
Lessee you ninja that!
Old 09-04-2019, 07:44 PM

E(TPCS) is as lame as you can get. However, Rupert Holmes had a lesser-known but far better song called Answering Machine with an absolutely SICK groove.

Now that I think of it, Him also has a pretty sick groove, and cool chords too, kinda Steely Dan-ish.

Rupert Holmes was basically a cooler version of Stephen Bishop. (Yeah I know, not the highest bar to clear.)

Edit - it's worth mentioning that I was exposed to the latter two songs by the Yacht Rock channel on Sirius XM - worth checking out if you like that kind of style.

Last edited by Lamoral; 09-04-2019 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

The implication I get is A, that their relationship is renewed by learning more about each other and realising they've been foolish and had been missing out on things from each other.

The reality is more complex, and I don't expect their marriage to last more than a couple of years after this. The truth is they're bored with each other, and this rediscovery is just a blip.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah, but that's a really good song.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:28 PM

According to wikipedia, he changed the lyric at the last minute - something tells me it wouldn't have been the deathless singalong hit that it is if he had stuck with "If you like Humphrey Bogart..."
Old 09-04-2019, 11:48 PM

I was still a wee lad in the early seventies which seems to be the setting for this song, but by the early eighties I had a very different idea of relationships. During those years I recall a decided shift away from ‘traditional family values’ and it being quite the topic of derision for my mother’s coffee klatches and my father’s poker games. Besides the obvious observation that this new generation was taking our beloved America to hell in a hand basket, was the seemingly obvious fact that everything was disposable in this modern world and marriage (when these youngsters bothered with it at all) was a temporary thing at best and not the sort of institution my parent’s generation build their stability upon.

Women were working outside the home (in a non Rosie the Riveter sense) for the first time in history if my parents and their friends knew what they were talking about. Rita Rudner had a joke about relationships just after this time that really scored: “Is this the man I want my children to spend their weekends with?” Relationships and much of society were just less nuclear family traditional than they were in our little suburban traditional neighborhood. My point is that things changed back to a more monogamous ethic due to some brand new PERMANENT and/or DEADLY venereal diseases.

For example Bill Murray’s character from STRIPES loses his girlfriend in the first reel and it hardly has any impact. Things were just more temporary and transient in those days from my perspective and I think the value of the song is that it captured that time perfectly. One could reading the personals while one’s significant other slept next to them—and later a relationship can be rekindled by some very shallow information.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
It’s an episode of Love, American Style, set to a bubblegum tune.
Exactly. And just as realistic.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:48 AM

I voted the relationship is affirmed. Boredom had set in and almost derailed it. Hopefully this adventure will provide the spark to keep things moving along.

I've had periods in my marriage where the spark was fading. Takes work to get past the low points. The pendulum will eventually swing in the opposite direction if both people are patient and communicate openly. Never assume everything is fine just because your partner isn't saying much.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

There is an old European . . . stage play? . . . opera? . . . where a husband and wife are both cheating. Each tries to get their friends to introduce them to someone new, who is really good in bed. Eventually, they end up hooking up with each other. I can't remember the title. A Flea In Her Ear was a modern take on the meme.

Anyway, I think Rupert Holmes just put his own spin on the meme. When they end up with their own spouse, we have a hearty laugh, and we don't really care what happened afterward.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
I really don't think there's much below the surface of that song.

If there's any message, I guess it's to appreciate what you already have.

(For the record, I don't hate it. But it's surely not a masterpiece of 20th-century musicianship.)
No, you have it backwards. Wife decides to cheat on Husband. Husband answers ad.

And I like it, but not too often.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:45 PM

We have no idea how many times either has cheated, this song is about the time both got caught.

They'll stay together though, I know a few couples like this. No doubt the story will be brought up by one or both of them at cocktail parties for decades while the other guests give each other faces.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:13 PM

To clarify, my take is that each partner is looking to dump their SO, not cheat.

Perhaps the latter is a prerequisite to the former?

Old 09-05-2019, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Two people are bored in a relationship.

They don't talk about being bored. Instead, they decide to escape from the relationship.

They then find out that they were both bored, and wanted more excitement. It made them talk about their issues.

They then bang under the stars. And break up in six months, because they haven't talked about their religious differences, childrasing differences, STD's, or finances.

Because people never learn.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
It's a cautionary tale about the perils of not being open with your partner about what you really want. If either of them had bitten the bullet and admitted they wanted pina coladas et al., the other would have either jumped at it, and re-affirmed their relationship, or suddenly realized how stupid those desires were, allowing them to end the relationship on an honest basis.

Now it's just awkward.
+1

-God
Old 09-05-2019, 03:00 PM

I think the relationship was over before the song started, and the woman knows it, but hasn't actually committed to leaving yet.

And I think the guy must be clueless, or the woman is an alcoholic. The first thing she is concerned with is a (trendy at the time) alcoholic drink? And he doesn't know she likes it? Either he hasn't been paying attention to what she drinks at all, or she drinks so much that what she drinks doesn't register.

But I think both of them are looking for the first rush of a new relationship rather that the long haul

I hear this song way too much on the oldies station and I've started filling in the woman's thoughts at the end of the song. This is what the singer says (and my reactions)

Quote:
That you liked Pina Coladas,
Yeah, but not yours because they suck. I told you that mint doesn't belong in Pina Coladas

Quote:
and getting caught in the rain
The minute it looks like rain you're hurrying us inside because you don't want your fancy shirts getting wet. Of course you don't know this.

Quote:
And the feel of the ocean,
Where did I say that?

Quote:
and the taste of champagne
Maybe because you're too cheap to buy it?

Quote:
If you like making love at midnight, in the dunes of the cape
You're in bed every night by 10. No way you'd be out of the house late enough to go to the beach.

Quote:
You're the love that I've looked for, come with me, and escape
Well, since you're the person I was trying to escape from... *sigh*

I remember Rupert Holmes as writing a number of songs about cultural trends - personal ads, answering machines, etc. - that were kind of joke songs. (Although I'm trying to find more than those two and coming up with only songs about being 20-something and single.)
Old 09-05-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary Name View Post
For example Bill Murray’s character from STRIPES loses his girlfriend in the first reel and it hardly has any impact. Things were just more temporary and transient in those days from my perspective and I think the value of the song is that it captured that time perfectly. One could reading the personals while one’s significant other slept next to them—and later a relationship can be rekindled by some very shallow information.
I get what you are saying here and I find most of the responses in this thread to be very conservative and moralistic, from a family values traditional relationship sort of perspective. There are a lot of assumptions about the type of relationship and people these characters were. I was born in 1979, so I wasn't around for the 70s. However, I've always assumed that the '70s were a little more casual and "free" and the AIDS/Reagan eras came along with more "tradition" and monogamy. now things, IMHO, are a little more back in the other direction. I know very few people in (working/effective) traditional monogamous relationships now.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelq View Post
Two people are bored in a relationship.

They don't talk about being bored. Instead, they decide to escape from the relationship.

They then find out that they were both bored, and wanted more excitement. It made them talk about their issues.

They then bang under the stars. And break up in six months, because they haven't talked about their religious differences, childrasing differences, STD's, or finances.

Because people never learn.
I’ve always pictured the couple as being in their 40s and having been married about 20 years or so. I think they have already discussed and lived through all those things you mention.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:07 AM

As a couple posters mentioned above, this is a song set in the casual relationship era. The relationship may be "doomed" eventually but it doesn't feel like either party seems to think it's supposed to be a lifetime commitment in the first place. So they are both bored and decide to move on. I would say the message of the song is pretty positive in that it's saying, maybe the relationship wouldn't have fallen into the same old dull routine if they had talked about what they wanted.

Last edited by CarnalK; 09-06-2019 at 08:09 AM.