Old 05-03-2012, 04:29 AM

As with many rock songs, there's the easy way and the subtle way - on one hand, when Keith Richards is playing in Open G, he famously states "all you need is 3 chords, two fingers and 1 asshole" but if you actually try to play it with all the nuance and groove that Keef does, every song is a master class...

Old 05-03-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Les Paul's guitars and gear are going up for auction - drool.

http://www.juliensauctions.com/image.../icatalog.html

I only got part way through it. There is a mid '20's Gibson L-5 I would die for...oh, and one or two Les Pauls

Dude had a LOT of gear.
So I find it odd that some a bit of that gear seems really reasonably priced. See #168, p93 for example:

"2005 GIBSON LES PAUL GOLDTOP Serial number 1045324 - 2005 Les Paul goldtop signed by the artist’s who played at Paul’s 90th birthday celebration held at Carnegie Hall on June 19, 2005. Signatures include: Eumir Deodato, Tommy Emmanuel, Jose Feliciano, Peter Frampton, Omar Hakim, Stanley Jordan, Will Lee, Steve Lukather, Pat Martino, Steve Miller, Lou Pallo, Madeline Peyroux, Buckey Pizzarelli, Joe Satriani, Neil Schon, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Derek Trucks and Edgar Winter.

$3000-$5000"

Really? A Les Paul owned by Les Paul with all those signatures only fetches $3-5k? Do they usually lowball these things at auction, or is this really what $-range they expect to get?
Old 05-04-2012, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Most auction estimates are lowballed - look at the painting/pastel The Scream which had a preauction estimate of $80 million and when for $120 million. It does seem like it would carry cache well above that estimate.

Last edited by WordMan; 05-04-2012 at 06:51 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:21 AM

Auction houses always set the estimate low so as to get people bidding. Once the bidding starts, the bidders have already (to some extent) started to think of the item as "theirs", and are much more likely to keep on bidding against each other.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:09 AM

Thanks, WordMan, Shakester. Interesting. I've never seen an auction, so I don't know how the auction house operates. So I guess I can stop dreaming about getting one of the four 200 LP Customs on p22-23 for $1500 then.

Last edited by squeegee; 05-04-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
Thanks, WordMan, Shakester. Interesting. I've never seen an auction, so I don't know how the auction house operates. So I guess I can stop dreaming about getting one of the four 200 LP Customs on p22-23 for $1500 then.
For the LP auction, I am assuming it will get a LOT of attention. For the most part, however - at least back in the day before the internet - auctions were a legit way to find deals. Sure, the jewels of the auction would get bid up, but the majority of stuff could be had closer to wholesale. There was risk - limited ability to inspect the stuff, etc. - and not a lot of folks were wired into the auction world.

If you want to stay on top of guitar auctions, a player that has gotten huge over the past few years is Heritage Auctions.

http://entertainment.ha.com/Guitar/
Old 05-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Many thanks to E-Sabbath - the Creamsicle has arrived!

E-Sabbath gave me a guitar - very cool. It was one of the Xaviere ones that was being discussed on this thread a bit of time ago. When he ordered, they sent the wrong one and for a variety of reasons I don't fully recall or understand, they just sent our Mr. E-Sabs a new guitar without requiring the other one to be returned. It pays to be charming!

It's this model but with a white pickguard (link to the Xaviere site). A Tele/Jazzmaster hybrid design which is very cool.

So with a parking-lot audition - it sounded great through a battery-powered Vox - and some great pizza - I made sure I covered the price of dinner - I got the guitar home. The intent was to let my 14-year-old be the primary caretaker. He really loves it - he's been figuring out Radiohead songs ever since.

But what is really cool is that *I* really enjoy it, too. Given that these guitars were going for <$150 - this is a very-well-put-together guitar. The basic bones of the guitar seem great - the neck is well made and very playable; the neck/body joint seems solid; the overall set up, hardware, etc. all seem solid. The Volume and Tone pots have a good feel when I rotate them and the knobs are decent. The bridge is a classic 3-barrel brass Tele bridge that seems like the $40-$50 versions I see on parts sites. It really has the basic feel of a Made in Mexico Fender which is a very good thing and typically goes for 3x or 4x that price.

The pickups - well, I need to check them out more - I was mostly playing through my son's cheapie digital Marshall. But bottom line is that the pickups are pretty darn amazing for such an inexpensive guitar. Knowing me, I would use that as an excuse to spend a bit more money and swap them - but the stock ones are totally usable as they are.

So - am I playing a particularly good example? Well, E-Sabs says that the one he kept plays just as well, so these just may be a solid deal.

As I have said in the past, I have found that with solidbody electrics, I am not inclined to want to invest tons of $$ in vintage gear - and I have traded away my vintage solidbodies - because I don't hear a dramatic difference between vintage and what I assembled myself. After playing this guitar, I am even more convinced. Thanks again, sir - I appreciate your sharing it.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:18 PM

Actually, I did pay for both guitars, but I got someone else to pay for it because they broke the first. Long story, not worth repeating.

It's my pleasure, and I hope your son has a long and happy history with it.

One of the things I was curious about was how you felt about the body compared to the traditional Tele body.
And I look forward to what happens when you put it through your better amp.

Last edited by E-Sabbath; 05-07-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Sabbath View Post
Actually, I did pay for both guitars, but I got someone else to pay for it because they broke the first. Long story, not worth repeating.

It's my pleasure, and I hope your son has a long and happy history with it.

One of the things I was curious about was how you felt about the body compared to the traditional Tele body.
And I look forward to what happens when you put it through your better amp.
The body - you know, I find the Fender offset-waist body of a Jazzmaster very comfy and playable. It is contoured, unlike a Tele, so I like both the belly cut and the arm-rest bevels on those bodies. I guess I would say "I didn't notice the body other than finding it comfortable" which is actually pretty high praise.

And yeah, I need to put it through my better amp. Long story, but we have new cat and he has a litter box issue (when we were away for over a day, he pooped upstairs ). So all of my gear was trundled over to a corner while we are figuring this out...should happen in the next week or two...
Old 05-07-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
The body - you know, I find the Fender offset-waist body of a Jazzmaster very comfy and playable. It is contoured, unlike a Tele, so I like both the belly cut and the arm-rest bevels on those bodies. I guess I would say "I didn't notice the body other than finding it comfortable" which is actually pretty high praise.

And yeah, I need to put it through my better amp. Long story, but we have new cat and he has a litter box issue (when we were away for over a day, he pooped upstairs ). So all of my gear was trundled over to a corner while we are figuring this out...should happen in the next week or two...
Do you find the 1 5/8's nut width a bit narrow? Since you like basebat necks and all? Personally, I have small hands and really like a thin, non-bat neck.

Last edited by squeegee; 05-07-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
I specified that particular GFS pickup because it has an AlNiCo magnet.

In guitar pickups, there are two main kinds of magnets commonly used; ceramic and AlNiCo.

As a general rule of thumb, ceramic magnets are cheaper and AlNiCo magnets sound better.

Now, that's a general rule, and there certainly are well-made ceramic magnet pickups that sound great, but at the less expensive end of the guitar pickup world, AlNiCo magnets are reliably nicer sounding than their ceramic competitors.

Why? Don't know. I am extremely sceptical of most of the things claimed about guitar hardware on internet forums, but I have personally observed that, to my ears, AlNiCo magnet pickups do reliably sound nicer than ceramic magnet pickups in the cheap-to-medium price ranges. Since the difference in prices isn't all that great, I recommend only buying AlNiCo-magnet pickups.

Because it's well-known in the guitar world (and of the few examples where sceptical me agrees with the majority "wisdom" of the guitar world) you can safely assume that if the pickup seller doesn't specify a magnet type, it's ceramic. If it's AlNiCo, they'll tell you it is because that's a selling point.
Shakester, thanks for all the info. I went ahead and ordered a Mean 90, news when I solder it into the Dot.

A late question: I see Duncan and others tout Alnico II, Alnico V in different pickups (here. Any thoughts on what these mean for tone, or is it mostly snake oil/cork-sniffing beyond the part where it's an AlNiCo? Thanks.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:37 PM

Depends on how good you are. If you're really good, it's not quite cork sniffing.
if the designer is really good, they could make the same sound with a ceramic as a Alnico.
But... mostly, people expect alnico to sound like _this_ while ceramic sounds like _this_ and that's the biggest difference you'll notice, designers designing towards a sound.

Most people will never notice.

My General Rule of Thumb is that ceramics sound more biased towards metal (high-gain) and alnicos bias towards rock.

Quote:
Do you find the 1 5/8's nut width a bit narrow? Since you like basebat necks and all? Personally, I have small hands and really like a thin, non-bat neck.
You should see the weird-ass cherry LP I have. Nut's 1 21/32".

Last edited by E-Sabbath; 05-07-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
My General Rule of Thumb is that ceramics sound more biased towards metal (high-gain) and alnicos bias towards rock.
Right, but my question was (and I probably did not make it as clear as I should have): is the difference between Alnico II and Alinco V (or Alnico whatever) interesting or is the only very important difference between Alnico vs not-alnico?

Quote:
You should see the weird-ass cherry LP I have. Nut's 1 21/32".
Which is wider than 1 5/8", no?

Last edited by squeegee; 05-07-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:02 PM

It is, huh. The neck itself is still much skinnier than the tele, though. Possibly because it's also a shorter scale than the Tele.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough: the difference, technically, exists, but you're not gonna notice, and I'm not gonna notice. Eric Johnson would notice, but he's nuts.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
It is, huh. The neck itself is still much skinnier than the tele, though. Possibly because it's also a shorter scale than the Tele.
Depends which tele, but we don't need to quibble which. I was just remarking that (I think) 1 5/8" is an unusually skinny neck profile. Recently I was looking at an Eric Johnson strat whose neck I thought felt good and noticed it was 1 5/8. Since then I had been looking for necks like that, and they seem pretty rare. So your next response was just perfect:

Quote:
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough: the difference, technically, exists, but you're not gonna notice, and I'm not gonna notice. Eric Johnson would notice, but he's nuts.
Ooh, perfect timing. That made me laugh pretty hard. Thanks!

ETA: FWIW, my AD tele is 1 11/16. This seems to be the common "skinny" width as far as I can determine. My Xavie e LP Special is 1 11/16.

Last edited by squeegee; 05-07-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
And I just re-read this and cannot believe my dyslexic wording. I meant "baseball bat neck", e.g. a big old-school neck profile, which I recall you favor. Sorry. But you probably already figured that out.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Right, but my question was (and I probably did not make it as clear as I should have): is the difference between Alnico II and Alinco V (or Alnico whatever) interesting or is the only very important difference between Alnico vs not-alnico?
E-Sabbath covered it pretty well, my only contribution is that the Roman numerals have to do with magnet strength, which may or may not be related to the exact composition of the alloy. An AlNiCo V is stronger than an AlNiCo II, because 5 is more than 2. For reasons that surpass my understanding, 5 and 2 seem to be the traditional strengths that AlNiCo magnets are made in. You don't often hear about AlNiCo IIIs or IVs, or Is for that matter.

Anyway, battery strength, in the amounts that make up a guitar pickup, don't make much difference. Getting pretty close to cork-sniffing territory. An AlNiCo II will be slightly more "refined" sounding than an AlNiCo V, but as E-Sabbath says, whether it's actually detectable by human ears is entirely debatable.

The main diff with magnets is AlNiCo vs ceramic, and ceramic are a bit more harsh compared to the smoothness of AlNiCo. Some people prefer a bit more grainyness in their sound; what E-Sabbath says about metal-vs-rock is a good call. However, the line between "grainy" and "harsh" is entirely subjective.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
And I just re-read this and cannot believe my dyslexic wording. I meant "baseball bat neck", e.g. a big old-school neck profile, which I recall you favor. Sorry. But you probably already figured that out.
I knew what you meant. Yeah, I tried not to comment too much about my biases regarding necks. This neck is too medium for me - I can say, though, I that I appreciate it as a well-made medium neck. Back contour is comfy and feels well-finished with no conspicuous poly buildup. Nice amber tint to the maple. Fretboard and frets smooth and even; no buzz-outs or roughness on the edges. All good.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:40 AM

So I bought my guitar - a red Fender MIM Stratocaster - and a Fender Mustang I practice amp. I've spent a few hours making weird noises using the various amp settings.

Next step is to start learning how to actually play this thing. I want to see how far I can get on my own before knuckling down and taking lessons from an actual person... Has anyone got any suggestions on good websites, programs, IPad apps, youtube videos etc, that a beginner can check out to learn to play? My emphasis is on rock, ranging from punk to ZZtop to Queens of the Stone Age - almost anything that is rock without necessarily being Metal. Not that I dislike metal, I just don't want to go there at this point.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:49 PM

http://www.justinguitar.com/

You want to learn from Justin. It's just the best.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:53 PM

I'm wondering if anyone has taken that video game out for a run. I can't remember exactly which one it is, but it's the one where you plug in a real guitar, with strings and everything, not just five buttons and flip-flapper.

From what I can tell, according to whatever difficulty setting you put it on, it has you playing the actual notes and chords to the songs -- like the Guitar Hero shit, but six stings and a full fret-board come at you on the screen.

I wonder because I play in a hobby band, and we write all our own material. So, essentially, I don't know practially any cover tunes anymore at the point. I was thinking of picking it up just to teach myself some covers.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Sorry - no first-hand experience.

And Stormcrow - sorry, there, too - no first-hand experience. I would say that if you can find youtube or guitar-site vids on your amp and how to dial in different tones, it would be worth searching for so you can get some input and ideas on what it can do and how it can sound.

And as for your Strat - I am sure there are dozens of Beginner Guitar vids you can sample - don't know E-Sabs' recommendation, but he certainly does the research. I would just say that, like the amp, see if you can find "basic Strat 101" type videos out there - a guided tour, if you will, so you can get a sense for how the switch works the pickups and which settings work best for which songs...

Best of luck!
Old 05-08-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Next step is to start learning how to actually play this thing. I want to see how far I can get on my own before knuckling down and taking lessons from an actual person... Has anyone got any suggestions on good websites, programs, IPad apps, youtube videos etc, that a beginner can check out to learn to play?
Before I started playing with actual people, I mostly taught myself how to play out of books. The Guitar Handbook is a pretty good one.

Without an instructor, you're going to have to take extra care not to fall into any bad habits, and it will probably take longer. But once you've got the basics down and you can hold a tune, the best thing you can do is get out and play with other people, particularly with people who are further along than you are. You'll learn more that way, and it beats the hell out of slogging through formal exercises.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Help me choose a new pickup for my Traveler Guitar EG-1

So here I am at the Marriott again, about to take out my Traveler Guitar EG-1 to practice a little.
I love this guitar: it has a full-length scale and I have tossed it in overhead bins on several flights without as much as a second glance from the flight attendants.

I am not really happy with the single humbucker pickup it came with. However, I am ignorant of things such as what pickups sound good for what and so on.
I always see folks posting about their fancy XYZ pickups that they swapped in and the beautiful tones they produce, so I am looking for recommendations.

I only play jazz, so I am looking for the right pickup that is fitting for jazz guitar.

Any thoughts? Since it only has one, it won't bother me if it costs a bit
Old 05-08-2012, 10:09 PM

Well. You're a jazz player, hm? So we're not talking overdrive, we're talking clean and sparkle. And that's a travel guitar, so I think maybe a sealed pickup is a better idea than an open one.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Dream-18...ome-_c_54.html

How's this? The Dream 180. Bit of Filtertron in your humbucker, for plenty of chime.

Now, I'm only picking this because I'm most familiar with GFS's catalog, there are certainly other options, but what do you think of the sound as described here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uHja2JzP_0
Old 05-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minor7flat5 View Post
So here I am at the Marriott again, about to take out my Traveler Guitar EG-1 to practice a little.
I love this guitar: it has a full-length scale and I have tossed it in overhead bins on several flights without as much as a second glance from the flight attendants.

I am not really happy with the single humbucker pickup it came with. However, I am ignorant of things such as what pickups sound good for what and so on.
I always see folks posting about their fancy XYZ pickups that they swapped in and the beautiful tones they produce, so I am looking for recommendations.

I only play jazz, so I am looking for the right pickup that is fitting for jazz guitar.

Any thoughts? Since it only has one, it won't bother me if it costs a bit
I would head over to The Gear Page or other guitar/jazz message boards and do a bit of searching, e.g., "good humbucker for jazz.' Maybe go to the Gibson website and message boards and see what folks who own jazzboxes talk about when they talk about pickups.

ES-335's and ES-175's from the late 50's are thought of highly for jazz and they have PAF's - I am sure you know the gist: early Gibson humbuckers are referred to as PAF's because of the Patent Applied For sticker on their underside. They are low output and often not-quite-perfect-in-a-good-way, e.g., the coils not perfectly matched in windings; the windings done unevenly (scatterwound), etc. You want the lower output because of your jazz leanings...

You can buy Seymour Duncan or other larger-volume PAF types for ~$75 - the ones that E-Sabs recommends may be a fine deal, too, judging by the Xaviere guitar I have started noodling with. But you could totally get boutique-y and geeky and spend a few hundred on some of the small-batch makers or even guys who do hand-wound stuff. Again, this is geeked out about a lot on various guitar message boards.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:03 AM

pickup tone questing

So, as stated previously, I'm just loving - loving! the new Duncan 59 bridge pickup (suggested by Kim O' the Concrete Jungle) in my Dot, played sans pedals through a humble Blues Junior. It just sings. Sings! Classic Fucking Tone.

So I now have a GuitarFetish P90 on the way for my Dot that I'll put in the neck position, and I'm going to move the Dot's Duncan 59 over to my Uninspiring Schecter (awesome neck, doesn't speak to me otherwise) in the neck position and add a Duncan Pearly Gates (I've heard good things) to the neck position of that guitar, so maybe it'll have a more interesting voice. So far, so good.

So while I'm waiting for the Schecter/Dot pickups to show up, I find myself perusing Tele pickups on Duncan and other sites, wondering what would be cool to use in my AD Tele instead of the stock (awesome but regrettably low output) Samarium Noiseless pickups and thinking about ordering pickups for that guitar.

And I just kinda realized: dammit, you guys have got me on another Tone Quest. Again.

Does it ever end?
Old 05-10-2012, 12:45 AM

GMS (Guitar Modification Syndrome). It's the terminal stage of GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome).

Old 05-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
And I just kinda realized: dammit, you guys have got me on another Tone Quest. Again.

Does it ever end?
It ebbs and flows. It can sure be fun.

As for Tele pickups, I have found the Seymour Duncan / Jerry Donahue sig Tele pickup to be wonderful. Based on Donahue's own early-50's Tele, it is on the higher end of lower-output, if you follow. Great treble bite when fully dialed up, sounds warm and wonderful clean with the Tone rolled off a bit, and thickens up amazingly well with a fuzzbox and the Volume down to 8 and Tone down to 6 or further. You would have a field day through your BJr. and pedal set...
Old 05-10-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
It ebbs and flows. It can sure be fun.

As for Tele pickups, I have found the Seymour Duncan / Jerry Donahue sig Tele pickup to be wonderful. Based on Donahue's own early-50's Tele, it is on the higher end of lower-output, if you follow. Great treble bite when fully dialed up, sounds warm and wonderful clean with the Tone rolled off a bit, and thickens up amazingly well with a fuzzbox and the Volume down to 8 and Tone down to 6 or further. You would have a field day through your BJr. and pedal set...
Yeah, it is fun. Just not sure where it ends.

For the Tele, I was thinking of something more biting/punchy than my SCNs, but still low output; I still want the bright single-coil cleans. Thanks for the Donahue suggestion. I was also considering a Duncan Alnico II Pro, which seems in a similar vein. Or maybe I'll try one of these, since it seems like it aims at a similar tone, and is less than half the price of a Duncan. Any thoughts on Lollars?
Old 05-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah, it is fun. Just not sure where it ends.

For the Tele, I was thinking of something more biting/punchy than my SCNs, but still low output; I still want the bright single-coil cleans. Thanks for the Donahue suggestion. I was also considering a Duncan Alnico II Pro, which seems in a similar vein. Or maybe I'll try one of these, since it seems like it aims at a similar tone, and is less than half the price of a Duncan. Any thoughts on Lollars?
Lollars seem to be consistently well spoken for on the interwebs - as are a number of other makes. I can really speak to the Donahue because of how much I lean on mine. I did put an Alnico Pro II (I think) into the Tele Special because the Donahue+mahogany (Korina) combo didn't clean up well enough. So in a normal Tele wood body, the Donahues are just this side of hot, but mostly a standard low-output vintage feel. They take fuzz really, really well.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:51 PM

I have this model Tele with Seymour Duncans. It is one of my favorite guitars.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar

Mine is the blonde model. Very attractive and I love the mahogany neck.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBEscapee View Post
I have this model Tele with Seymour Duncans. It is one of my favorite guitars.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar

Mine is the blonde model. Very attractive and I love the mahogany neck.
Is that standard Tele long-scale (25.5") or, based on its Gibson-inspired features, does it have a short-scale neck (24.75" or so)? Either way, looks cool.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Is that standard Tele long-scale (25.5") or, based on its Gibson-inspired features, does it have a short-scale neck (24.75" or so)? Either way, looks cool.
Standard Tele scale.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:33 PM

Which raises the question: has Fender made 24 3/4 scale guitars before?
Old 05-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Oh sure; heck the Jaguar is what? A 24" scale? But otherwise a few models have been, often ones with Gibson features like the Tele jr.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:49 PM

Huh. I guess I'd forgotten about the Jaguar. But I've always wanted to meet a 24 3/4" Tele, but I thought my choices were build my own or steal yours.

Last edited by squeegee; 05-10-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Huh. I guess I'd forgotten about the Jaguar. But I've always wanted to meet a 24 3/4" Tele, but I thought my choices were build my own or steal yours.
Indeed. The shorter scale feels slinkier and sounds a bit thicker, but a Tele pickup in a Tele bridge sounds very...Tele in some key ways.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Indeed. The shorter scale feels slinkier and sounds a bit thicker, but a Tele pickup in a Tele bridge sounds very...Tele in some key ways.
When Fender introduced the Blacktop series, I was really interested in the Blacktop Jaguar (http://www.fender.com/en-GB/products...?prodNo=014830). But when I played it in the shop, I was disappointed with (1) how shoulder-crushingly heavy it was, and (2) how dark the humbuckers sounded. So I passed on that one and bought another Ibanez Artcore instead.

But now they've released a version with P90s in it, which I might have to check out.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim o the Concrete Jungle View Post
When Fender introduced the Blacktop series, I was really interested in the Blacktop Jaguar (http://www.fender.com/en-GB/products...?prodNo=014830). But when I played it in the shop, I was disappointed with (1) how shoulder-crushingly heavy it was, and (2) how dark the humbuckers sounded. So I passed on that one and bought another Ibanez Artcore instead.

But now they've released a version with P90s in it, which I might have to check out.
I'm not sure what my fixed neck Tele weighs but it is far lighter than other Teles I own. And the coil tap gives you the choice of single coil pups. I also have an Ibanez Artcore but I never play it. To me it just doesn't come close to my Fenders.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:06 AM

Fair enough. Personally, I like to have a good range of guitars, because sometimes Fenders can sound too scratchy, and at other times, humbuckers can sound too muddy. With Artcore, it really depends on which one you get. The last AS I played was dark sounding and didn't much appeal to me, but the AF which I own (and is one of my favourite guitars), has a much more open and complex sound -- kind of halfway between a Gibson 335 and a Gretsch.

By the way, I should have said, I was attracted to the Blacktop Jaguar in particular because, unlike the standard Jaguar, it's a hard-tail. I don't like whammy bars.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:07 AM

Neck and Bridge 3rd party pickups question

When you buy pickups from a vendor like Duncan or whoever, you can buy a Neck or Bridge version of some pickup. I assume it's optimized in some way to be awesome in that spot. So what is it optimized for? I know a bridge pickup gets more highs, a neck pickup gets more lows and mids. So I've had a Duncan set in a guitar and I get exactly those things, no surprise. But with any pickups I'd get exactly those things because of the position they're in, if for no other reason. So what did Duncan (or whoever) give me that was extra sauce on top of that? What is the pickup vendor's optimization for that position giving me? What are they trying to enhance or diminish in their design for that spot on the neck?
Old 05-12-2012, 12:09 AM

And BTW, I got the Mean 90 installed into the neck position of the Dot tonight, and I'm provisionally mighty pleased. The 90 seems really nice and articulate, what I'd expect in a P90, and not much hum. After fiddling a bit I balanced it with the bridge Duncan 59, and the middle combo of both is really really lush, very nice. Buy one of each for your kids, I can't recommend either enough. Did I say I'm really pleased?
Old 05-12-2012, 01:54 AM

Quote:
When you buy pickups from a vendor like Duncan or whoever, you can buy a Neck or Bridge version of some pickup. I assume it's optimized in some way to be awesome in that spot. So what is it optimized for? I know a bridge pickup gets more highs, a neck pickup gets more lows and mids. So I've had a Duncan set in a guitar and I get exactly those things, no surprise. But with any pickups I'd get exactly those things because of the position they're in, if for no other reason. So what did Duncan (or whoever) give me that was extra sauce on top of that? What is the pickup vendor's optimization for that position giving me? What are they trying to enhance or diminish in their design for that spot on the neck?
Well, there are pickups that are slightly wider at the bridge than the neck, but most pickups are standard sizes.

Basically the difference is that bridge pickups are designed to be louder. That's because guitars strings are loudest at the middle of their length and quietest at the ends. They oscillate further in the middle than at the ends, an effect you can actually see if you look at a vibrating guitar string. So the bridge pickup is louder than the neck pickup because it needs to amplify the string more.

Setting the height of a pickup affects the sound; closer to the strings is louder. However, louder isn't always better and less sometimes really is more. Messing about with pickup height is the easiest and cheapest way to have a real effect on the sound of your guitar. It's also worth noting that the magnetic field of a pickup has an effect on string vibration - a neck pickup can affect the strings even when you're using the bridge pickup alone.

That's why single-pickup guitars, like a Les Paul Junior or an Esquire, sound different to two pickup guitars like an LP Special or a Telecaster. Nothing to do with routes or body wood; it's the magnetic field of the neck pickup, even when it's switched off. Keep that in mind when adjusting pickup height; too close can cause unpleasant overtones; lowering a pickup, especially at the neck position, can make a guitar sound significantly nicer.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:08 AM
Charter Member

Yep. What he said.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
Well, there are pickups that are slightly wider at the bridge than the neck, but most pickups are standard sizes.

Basically the difference is that bridge pickups are designed to be louder. That's because guitars strings are loudest at the middle of their length and quietest at the ends. They oscillate further in the middle than at the ends, an effect you can actually see if you look at a vibrating guitar string. So the bridge pickup is louder than the neck pickup because it needs to amplify the string more.
OK, that makes all kinds of sense. They just wind it a little hotter to compensate. Then you try to help by getting that bridge pickup closer to the strings, and back the neck pickup away and try to strike a balance. Got it.

Quote:
Setting the height of a pickup affects the sound; closer to the strings is louder. However, louder isn't always better and less sometimes really is more. Messing about with pickup height is the easiest and cheapest way to have a real effect on the sound of your guitar. It's also worth noting that the magnetic field of a pickup has an effect on string vibration - a neck pickup can affect the strings even when you're using the bridge pickup alone.

That's why single-pickup guitars, like a Les Paul Junior or an Esquire, sound different to two pickup guitars like an LP Special or a Telecaster. Nothing to do with routes or body wood; it's the magnetic field of the neck pickup, even when it's switched off. Keep that in mind when adjusting pickup height; too close can cause unpleasant overtones; lowering a pickup, especially at the neck position, can make a guitar sound significantly nicer.
[/quote]OK, so I've heard guidelines on this sort of thing -- the "nickle rule" that [b]WordMan[b] had mentioned a few pages back, or various other rules of thumb. Is there some objective way to tell if you're doing it right or wrong? I could see spending a lot of time experimenting and the tone difference would be so subjective you couldn't tell if you've messed up your tone or left good tone on the table. And what does it sound like when you're doing it wrong? Bassier? Treblier?
Old 05-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

It's just about trying and listening. Use some rule of thumb as a starting point (with your rig dialed in for a great clean tone OR simply your fave set up clean or crunchy) and then use a jeweller's screwdriver to try positions above and below. Give the screws a good turn or two so you hear contrasts when you A/B.

You can hear when the sound thins out and disappears, and when it gets overdriven or impedes string travel. There is no magic moment, but you can hear the tone bloom a bit; a bit more harmonic sparkle. Try it.

Last edited by WordMan; 05-12-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:52 PM

Hmm. I just spent about five minutes on the Dot adjusting that neck P-90 closer/further and... I can sort of tell there's something different if I raise it almost to touching the strings. A bit deader perhaps, but it's subtle. Maybe I'm not doing this right -- am I supposed to be monitoring the bridge or neck pickup while I test this out? I was monitoring the bridge pup, since the neck one was going to get louder/softer as I adjusted it and I wanted a neutral volume to listen to.

In other news: I just popped open the Schecter to put those new Duncans in, and realized I'd forgotten that the Schecter has one of those 5-way pickup selectors where two of the positions are coil taps from each pickup. And now I'm wondering if I want to do something with that or just blow it off and have the tap positions give the same tone as the neck/bridge selections. I can't say coil taps are that compelling to me, but it seems retarded to have switch positions that don't do anything. Complicating matters is the pickups: the Duncan 59 has only two wires, where the Duncan Pearly gates has four wires + ground (obviously two wires for each pickup, but I'm not yet clear which colors are paired to which pickup). I guess I could use 3 selector positions for bridge/half-bridge1/halfbridge2 or something + 2 positions for neck+bridge neck-only. Or just have a retarded switch and be done with it, which is probably what I'll do, sigh.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:11 PM

Well, hell. I just popped open the Schecter and popped out the stock pickups and... they're already Duncans. Says so right on the back, and not "Duncan Designed". I had no idea. A little googling tells me they're a 59 in the neck and a JB in the bridge. So I guess changing pickups is a bit pointless, pffft. So how come I love the 59 in my Dot, but find it uninspiring in this guitar?
Old 05-14-2012, 03:15 AM

I bought one of these on the weekend. Figuring out how to play Moonlight Sonata on it (in Dm).