Old 04-01-2013, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

So I'm trying to decide what to do with my 370-ish donuts that I haven't used. The main contenders are buying:

Buildings with Characters: Volcano Lair, the School Bus, Krustylu Studios

Buildings with Bonuses: Springfield Sign, Observatory, Lard Lad

Characters with Bonuses: Bumblebee Man, and Dr Nick.

I'm kind of leaning towards the things that get a building that produces dollars and XP along with a bonus character. What do you all think?
Old 04-01-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
So I'm trying to decide what to do with my 370-ish donuts that I haven't used. The main contenders are buying:

Buildings with Characters: Volcano Lair, the School Bus, Krustylu Studios

Buildings with Bonuses: Springfield Sign, Observatory, Lard Lad

Characters with Bonuses: Bumblebee Man, and Dr Nick.

I'm kind of leaning towards the things that get a building that produces dollars and XP along with a bonus character. What do you all think?
I haven't done the math (and I'm not gonna -- not while I'm too busy having beer and nachos with a former US president) but I've gotten both the bonus characters (Hans Moleman, Pimply faced Teen) and the bonus items (News Van, wrecked car) and getting a character or building seems like it has a better bonus than getting an item. The only task that I can do with the Pimply Faced Teen right now is a 24 hour one, but it pays off a whopping 225 XP on completion. Hans also has some nice payouts.

As you play more, you will get tasks that go with some of the items -- I know there's one for the news van, but it seems more XP and money = more better.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
When I travel to the neighboring Springfield, a lot of the space is used up with the street -- the Cletus farm is completely surrounded by street for instance. It looks nice, but it's also a lot of street.
My farm has a lot of street around it too. I know a more reasonable placement would be on the outskirts of town. But I haven't bought the outskirts of town yet. I'll be moving a lot around when I get everything.

Right now I'm trying to:

1) Complete all the levels and buildings
and
2) Grind up a good deal of cash in case the Whacking Day rumors are true.

All this while keeping my town looking reasonably nice. No house farming. I have no excuse for that - as an Android user no one can see it anyway. But I have standards, Damnit.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:18 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
I haven't done the math (and I'm not gonna -- not while I'm too busy having beer and nachos with a former US president) but I've gotten both the bonus characters (Hans Moleman, Pimply faced Teen) and the bonus items (News Van, wrecked car) and getting a character or building seems like it has a better bonus than getting an item. The only task that I can do with the Pimply Faced Teen right now is a 24 hour one, but it pays off a whopping 225 XP on completion. Hans also has some nice payouts.

As you play more, you will get tasks that go with some of the items -- I know there's one for the news van, but it seems more XP and money = more better.
The characters give decent payouts but the items increase the amount of money and XP you get from everything. Right now I get 50% more from everything I tap.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:19 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Looking at the games message board I see a some educated guesses that the next major update will be this Thursday. There are a lot of people who spend a lot of time looking into this game.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Looking at the games message board I see a some educated guesses that the next major update will be this Thursday. There are a lot of people who spend a lot of time looking into this game.
How can they know?
Old 04-02-2013, 09:29 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
How can they know?
Some of those on that board somehow have access to the raw files or they are leaked. They were right about the Buddhist temple and other updates long before they came out.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9416861.page
Old 04-03-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
I agree. I hate the look of house farms. I've deleted friends with them just because they look ugly.

I am now in the process of "rejuvenating" my little house farm - mostly due to guilt.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labtrash View Post
I am now in the process of "rejuvenating" my little house farm - mostly due to guilt.
Heh, I am kind of as well. I'm purchasing south area land and moving everything there.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:54 AM

I suppose it wouldn't look too bad if you have nice looking houses and then a row of the brown houses smashed together like some cheap housing complex. I have two brown houses close together but the other houses don't really lend themselves to that look because of their orientation. I have most of my houses along a street North of the Simpson house, but now I have some dead space between them and the mountain range. I can run a street back there or some fences and stuff, but I think I might just move the house back a bit. I want to do something that looks decent. I also want to have some room for expanding the city with more buildings.

I won two 100 donuts in a row yesterday playing the scratch it game. I spent them on Otto and his bus and Krustilu Studios with Sideshow Mel, which have nice bonuses. The bus takes up a lot of space though, so I turned it into a parking lot across a street from the school with a forest next to it. Not bad.

Last edited by Intergalactic Gladiator; 04-03-2013 at 10:55 AM. Reason: D'oh!
Old 04-03-2013, 10:11 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

I squeezed a few more houses in here and there. Trying not to make it look too crowded.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

I swear, this game is starting to piss me off. Today I was trying to work on an area around my church where I wanted to put some shrubbery in and make a cross pattern. First, it gets impossible to see where you're placing anything, as every time you put down a shrub, the damned XP icons show up, blocking your view. Place more than four or five down, and you have to exit, collect the XPs, and go back so you can see what the hell you're doing.

Then, I decided my spacing was off and I wanted to change it around. Even zoomed in, the fucking thing (as I complained about before) is terrible at figuring out where my finger is. Without any sort of exaggeration, it takes me about 5 or 6 tries to select the bush I want to move. Sometimes it's selecting a bush that's NOWHERE near my finger. There's no chance I'm just being fat-fingered, as it's picking up on a bush that's four or five squares away from my finger. I have no idea how the touch sensitivity can be so bad on this. It's annoying as all get out.

And then the damned thing crashes about once out of every five or six times I try to run it. I have to double click on my home button (iPhone 5), manually close/kill the process, and restart it. And then it also seems that every five or six times (not coinciding with when I have to close/kill the process), I have to relogin to Origin for some reason. Annoying as shit to have to type in my email address and password at least once a day.

I have no issues with any other program on my iPhone. Just this one. Buggiest damned iPhone app I've had.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I swear, this game is starting to piss me off. Today I was trying to work on an area around my church where I wanted to put some shrubbery in and make a cross pattern. First, it gets impossible to see where you're placing anything, as every time you put down a shrub, the damned XP icons show up, blocking your view. Place more than four or five down, and you have to exit, collect the XPs, and go back so you can see what the hell you're doing.
Your hard work didn't go unnoticed. Your shrub/flower cross is awesome.

I had trouble with crashing today also.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateComer View Post
Your hard work didn't go unnoticed. Your shrub/flower cross is awesome.
Well, thanks. I've been wanting to get a nice tract of land to start doing some fun decorative stuff. I still need to build up some money to get some serious real estate. I wish there were a way to login to your account on a computer to move things around and rearrange them. It'd be a hell of a lot more convenient.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

I feel for you guys playing on phone only. I play on both an iPhone 4S and iPad, and doing any sort of editing is immensely easier on the iPad (which is not to say problem-free, but better).
Old 04-04-2013, 09:15 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raza View Post
I feel for you guys playing on phone only. I play on both an iPhone 4S and iPad, and doing any sort of editing is immensely easier on the iPad (which is not to say problem-free, but better).
I only play on the iPad. If I tried on a smaller screen it would cause shooting pains through my eyeballs. Maybe I need glasses.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:49 AM

Something big coming Thursday.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:57 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trion View Post
Something big coming Thursday.
Cite? Something is coming reportedly Whacking Day. The boards were all atwitter about last Thursday but nothing happened. As far as I can tell Thursday was the focus cause the last few updates came out on Thursdays but not all of them.

I think this week is a good bet given the supposed end date if the next event but I'm curious as to your source.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Cite? Something is coming reportedly Whacking Day. The boards were all atwitter about last Thursday but nothing happened. As far as I can tell Thursday was the focus cause the last few updates came out on Thursdays but not all of them.

I think this week is a good bet given the supposed end date if the next event but I'm curious as to your source.
The game is my source.

Turn it on and read for yourself. It will download an episode tie-in update and further tease a bigger update for Thursday, Doubty McDoubterson.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:54 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
The game is my source.

Turn it on and read for yourself. It will download an episode tie-in update and further tease a bigger update for Thursday, Doubty McDoubterson.
I did. It didn't. I played it right after I posted. I'll check back later to see if it came through.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I did. It didn't. I played it right after I posted. I'll check back later to see if it came through.
*Shrug* I don't know what the problem is on your end, but I got it fine. And I'm using Android.

Anyway, for people who don't have the game on them, here's some more info:

http://tstotips.com/2013/04/08/theres-an-update/

I won't be spending donuts myself, but I am working toward the decoration.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:11 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

I just got it. Maybe the android update hit first.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:22 AM

Android, first? Stop, you're killin' me.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Nah, I got it on iPad first thing this morning. Try signing out and signing back in.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:48 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCDiver View Post
Nah, I got it on iPad first thing this morning. Try signing out and signing back in.
I got it but not till around noon.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Labtrash, your hedge arrangement is awesome.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateComer View Post
Labtrash, your hedge arrangement is awesome.
Thanks !!
Old 04-09-2013, 06:17 AM

I got the Springfiled Falls this morning. I had Homer in the middle of a Monkey Marathon yesterday so I couldn't get it until he was free.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:13 AM

Oooo, a waterfall.

wow

do I get money from it? No.

do I get XP from it? No.

Does it spit out donuts at random intervals for my collecting? No.

Does it look out of place anywhere I put it? Yes (I guess I'll surround it with trees so it doesn't just look like a rocky mound with a waterfall on it - where's the water coming from?!?!? Underground?).

Lame.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:41 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Oooo, a waterfall.

wow

do I get money from it? No.

do I get XP from it? No.

Does it spit out donuts at random intervals for my collecting? No.

Does it look out of place anywhere I put it? Yes (I guess I'll surround it with trees so it doesn't just look like a rocky mound with a waterfall on it - where's the water coming from?!?!? Underground?).

Lame.
If you put it up against the Springfield sign it looks pretty good.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:26 PM

Heh yeah. I got the waterfalls then I realized that it doesn't quite fit in the rest of my town. I put it in the Northernmost corner of my game behind Krustilu Studios. I put some parking lots near it and I'm planning on surrounding it with some trees so it looks a little nicer.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Heh yeah. I got the waterfalls then I realized that it doesn't quite fit in the rest of my town. I put it in the Northernmost corner of my game behind Krustilu Studios. I put some parking lots near it and I'm planning on surrounding it with some trees so it looks a little nicer.
Yeah, mine is in a "holding area" for the moment where I'm putting out-of-place stuff while I figure out what to do with them. I guess I could just put it in storage along with the other items for the time being, too, as I'm not losing any XP or income from it.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:42 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Ooooooooooo!!!! Just got the Whacking Day update! I just sent all my guys on their overnight missions so I can't start the mission yet. I wish I knew before I did that. I thought the update was coming tomorrow.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:45 PM

Woo-Hoo! I can has friends now. I'm Trion66.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:29 AM

Sorry, sorry, I seem to have mixed up somehow. My Origin ID is Atrion66.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:08 AM

Hey kids, I got the update last night (thank God the dog got up and pooped all over the rug, right?). You may find me as jsteck13.

Last edited by Intergalactic Gladiator; 04-11-2013 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Is there an Al Coholic here?
Old 04-11-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat99 View Post
Just started playing - add me as a neighbor please? Wombatninetynine on Origin.

Mmmmm, donuts
I tried to add you but it appears to take a long time to search.

Maybe if I have a few minutes at work I'll run through this thread and post all the names.

Oh and so far, I have Homer wacking Snakes and Ned damning them to hell. Lisa's in the middle of going to school with Milhouse so I can get Bart, so she didn't do her Wacking Day Quest yet.

Last edited by Intergalactic Gladiator; 04-11-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Hey kids, I got the update last night (thank God the dog got up and pooped all over the rug, right?). You may find me as jsteck13.
I just tried to add you, but on and off this morning I've been getting the "Failed to send request" notice. I think the servers are a bit overloaded with new friends. I'll try again later.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Am I doing the visiting other people's towns correctly? Other than looking at the cool cities, it doesn't seem to be that much reward. I get $10+$5+$1 + 2XP for every thing I click at, but a 25 HP bonus after clicking three. Is that all the money and XP you get from this?
Old 04-11-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Am I doing the visiting other people's towns correctly? Other than looking at the cool cities, it doesn't seem to be that much reward. I get $10+$5+$1 + 2XP for every thing I click at, but a 25 HP bonus after clicking three. Is that all the money and XP you get from this?

If you're doing it every day for 100 friends in Origin, it adds up (but takes a damn long time to do).
Old 04-11-2013, 11:30 AM

Totally random question that may have already been addressed, but why do some of the characters have voices and not others? Like Milhouse, Milton, and a couple others don't have any voice when you click on them. Was this to just save on space or what?
Old 04-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If you're doing it every day for 100 friends in Origin, it adds up (but takes a damn long time to do).
That's what I figured. Not sure I have the patience to do that every day.

By the way, what's all this whacking day stuff? I haven't had any updates on that, and I had all my characters free not working on other tasks earlier today. Got the waterfall, though a couple days ago.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
That's what I figured. Not sure I have the patience to do that every day.

By the way, what's all this whacking day stuff? I haven't had any updates on that, and I had all my characters free not working on other tasks earlier today. Got the waterfall, though a couple days ago.
Whacking Day is not an automatic update. Check the Apple ITunes or Google Play store. It should be there.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Whacking Day is not an automatic update. Check the Apple ITunes or Google Play store. It should be there.
Ah. I didn't realize Simpsons needed to be updated through iTunes, as well. Is there a rhyme or reason to which updates are automatic and which aren't? And, of course, I just sent all my characters on 12 hour quests about an hour ago.

ETA: Downloaded it. Also, it turns out it was just 4 hour quests I sent them on, so I'll see what the hubbub is about in a couple hours. Thanks.

Last edited by pulykamell; 04-11-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:43 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

IG and Trion friend request sent.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:44 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

For some reason after the update my towns got jumbled up and aren't in alphabetical order. I also seem to have lost a couple.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
IG and Trion friend request sent.
Got it. Thank you. Eggs will be in your town when I get the chance.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:04 PM

Please add me as a neighbor - akareloy237
Old 04-11-2013, 03:43 PM

I poured through the thread backwards collecting names until I got to Labtrash's post on page two. This should be just about everyone participating here and I have not verified any right now as I'm at work and without my tablet.

Straight Dope No Homers Club:

Doper name Tapped Name

Reloy3: akareloy237
Wombat99: Wombatninetynine
Trion: Atrion66
Intergalactic Gladiator: jsteck13
Sterling Archer: madillma
notipping (banned): resting666
pulykamell: pulykamell
even sven: kejiaflowers
bauble: baublera
Bike Rider: bikeriderflorida
LateComer: donspadeoa
Mahaloth: Mahaloth
LateComer's friend: Psychout3000
Hokey Monkey: pimaspi
EristicKallistic: mrdiskord
Blisters: MistyMeow
Blisters' husband: redfivestand
Steener122: Z94WZE60X8
Poysyn: DDRigs
Poysyn's husband: DarbyRigs
Poysyn's daughter: Megadarby
Tamarin: JubbleJubble
Hairy Cactus: ChrisT1701
Raza: razabradley
Just1lurk: just1lurk
Loach: loach232
iftheresaway: iftheresaway
Yearsofstatic: Yearsofs
pancakes3: ericcshen
jackdavinci: jonjackturtl
Hockey Monkey / pimaspi
Just1Lurk / sarusim
USCDiver / USCDiver
heater2000ca / heater2000ca
jackdavinci / jackdavinci
Labtrash / Labtrash
Happycamper*5 / happycamper5
Loach / loach232
Labtrash / Labtrash
luvrbcs / Luvrbcs2
Tamarin / JubbleJubble
HairyCactus / ChrisT1701
Raza / Razabradley
Poysyn / Ddrigs
iftheresaway / iftheresaway
yearsofstatic / yearsofs
Blisters / thehentzel (I can't find this name to add it)
BulwerLytton / BulwerLytton
Old 04-11-2013, 07:25 PM

Please add me . . . donhomer64

I have 12 eggs to give away!

Last edited by blainer; 04-11-2013 at 07:27 PM.