Old 10-22-2016, 04:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
But I still haven't seen Undertaker vs. Yokozuna!
You didn't miss much. :P
Old 10-22-2016, 04:22 AM
Charter Member

Forgot one more classic from recent years;

* The Shield vs. Evolution (Payback 2014)
Old 10-22-2016, 04:54 AM

Evolution was still a thing after 10 years? I assume no longer the original lineup(Batista, HHH, Flair, and um, I forget?)

There's a lot of stuff I have to catch up on. I hear CM Punk's run was incredible too. Yet strangely, despite all those highlights, most people seem to think that the product only went downhill after the Monday Night Wars ended.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Evolution was still a thing after 10 years? I assume no longer the original lineup(Batista, HHH, Flair, and um, I forget?)
Triple H, Randy Orton, and Batista had a brief reunion as Evolution in 2014. The Payback match was the apex of it and the best match of the Shield's run.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
There's a lot of stuff I have to catch up on. I hear CM Punk's run was incredible too. Yet strangely, despite all those highlights, most people seem to think that the product only went downhill after the Monday Night Wars ended.
I would say WWE started getting better after they dropped ECW and morphed FCW into NXT. When NXT grads like the Shield and the Wyatts started to filter up, it began the decline of Wince's formula. The indies like RoH were producing top notch talent like Sami Zayn, Kevin Owens, CM Punk, and recently Roderick Strong, so WWE signed them up. NJPW had top stars like AJ Styles, Gallows & Anderson, Finn Balor, and Nakamura, so WWE signed them up. When TNA lost top talent like Samoa Joe, Austin Aries, Bobby Roode, and Eric Young, WWE said Come On Down!

Now they're making use of Cruiserweights to much better effect than the anemic "Light Heavyweight" era. Not to worry though, we still find plenty of things to bitch about. :-)
Old 10-24-2016, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

It's all quite oblique at the moment, but according to the rumors I've been reading, Fight Network (which airs TNA in Canada) funded BFG and the latest batch of tapings, and Dixie gave them the tape library as collateral, which queered the deal WWE and Corgan had been trying to broker.

She definitely seems to be determined to go down with the ship and take everyone involved with her. God only knows how this'll turn out.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:56 AM

Amended to that...I heard Fight Network wants to buy out all the lawsuits, kick Billy to the curb, and give the entire thing back to Dixie (again.)

Really hope that isn't the case...
Old 10-24-2016, 02:05 PM

Damn, that bitch done sold her soul split up about 15 ways. Billy might have to put out a hit on her.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:02 PM

I think she only sold the streaming rights for Canada to the Fight network, but we may have to wait for things to be unsealed before we get a full picture.

As I understand it, part of Billy's deal with his investment was that he would be able to take over if TNA didn't get their finances in order. He now believes TNA is currently insolvent and so that should be triggered, Dixie is claiming that no, they're not insolvent at all.

So that's all going through the courts for now, I believe a lot of the lawsuits being filed now for collection of debt is mainly companies jockeying for position among creditors if bankruptcy does end up happening.

I think whatever deal Dixie made with the Fight network only really covered TV tapings through the end of the year. So if she sold the entire tape library in total, she did so for something less than a million, which is a terrible deal, even for her. If she did just sell Canadian streaming rights, that's a little better for that portion, but I wonder if that would cause more damage to the overall value--how much less is WWE going to be willing to pay if they can't use it everywhere?
Old 10-25-2016, 07:40 AM

You can tell they're only in it for the money when WWE promotes Brock vs Goldberg with video game footage. They're all just one step from using avatars instead of live wrestlers.

Regarding the Cruiserweights, I really didn't like the idea of giving them storylines. I wanted them to just do amazing shit and collect their paychecks. That being said, the TJ Perkins/Brian Kendrick storyline is actually kind of intriguing. When Kendrick lost to Swann, TJ said nothing. He didn't gloat or comment. The camera just showed him staring intently at Kendrick, like he suspected something was up. Later, when Kendrick begged him to throw their match at HIAC, it made me wonder if The Brian (kayfabe) purposely lost to Swann so TJ would (kayfabe) underestimate him. In other words, is The Brian fake faking?

Last edited by Knowed Out; 10-25-2016 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzeiger View Post
I think whatever deal Dixie made with the Fight network only really covered TV tapings through the end of the year. So if she sold the entire tape library in total, she did so for something less than a million, which is a terrible deal, even for her. If she did just sell Canadian streaming rights, that's a little better for that portion, but I wonder if that would cause more damage to the overall value--how much less is WWE going to be willing to pay if they can't use it everywhere?
I don't remember reading anywhere that the sold the tape library - just put it up as collateral for a loan. Of course, considering the condition TNA reportedly is in, that could be the same thing.

Question: who owns PPV or other broadcast rights to WWE PPVs in Canada? If The Fight Network does end up with the TNA library, could it be just so it could use it as a carrot to dangle in front of Vince when the rights come up for renewal?
Old 10-25-2016, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Some of the details from Corgan's lawsuit were unsealed today.

Corgan alleges that Carter reneged on an agreement to give him the remainder of her stock in exchange for a loan, and is seeking an injunction that would allow him to take over the company.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:36 AM

I think Alexa Bliss just replaced Becky Lynch as my future ex wife.

Now that Randy Orton joined the Wyatts, he needs a hillbilly beard.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:42 AM

Smackdown continually becomes a very pleasant show to watch.

The length is perfect, the stories are simple and good, and the roster is just the perfect size to be over.

Missing RAM on Monday has done nothing to damper my week, yet I feel I would be disappointed if I missed Smackdown...
Old 10-26-2016, 07:53 AM

Vince's senility flares up because he couldn't understand why Minneapolis prefers their home boy Brock over Goldberg. He hasn't learned anything from the Reigns push debacle. Seriously, he thinks Goldberg can shrug off 12 years of ring rust vs an opponent who probably won't sell for shit?

Is Moldberg even going to have any prelim matches before the big event? I'm sure Big Show could make him look passably good, since he's huge and strong himself, and Goldberg was able to prop him up for the Jackhammer way back when. Oh wait, I guess Big Shoo isn't available, since he's training Shaq for their upcoming WM match. Another one-shot for short-term money.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:48 AM

A fan asked John Cena what his favorite food was: https://youtu.be/eZlyGNGR620
Old 10-26-2016, 02:56 PM

Reason number 2,359 that they won't turn Cena heel in the ring: He's already one IRL
Old 10-26-2016, 03:45 PM

Orton isn't joining the Wyatts. He's just continuing the burial of Bray Wyatt with the "I can play this game better than you can" stuff we've already seen.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:17 PM

Well, the live tweeting someone did of Billy vs TNA in court today were interesting.

Billy's side we pretty much knew.

TNA's side appears to be that Billy is a bad person to actually want to profit on a business loan. The terms he insisted on are terrible (nevermind that TNA still signed), and the provisions in the contract that would trigger the takeover are possibly in violation of TN law (though again, TNA signed the contract). TNA has offered (through other investors) to pay Billy back for the loan (and interest? Unknown)
Old 10-26-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reluctant A. View Post
A fan asked John Cena what his favorite food was: https://youtu.be/eZlyGNGR620
The video has been taken down due to a copyright claim. What was it?
Old 10-26-2016, 08:39 PM

Thoughts about the SmackDown highlights I watched on YouTube:

Good to see the Hype Bros are going to get a Survivor Series payday.

I actually exclaimed, "WHOA!" when Orton hit Kane with the RKO.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
The video has been taken down due to a copyright claim. What was it?
I haven't watched the video, but I heard the story.

He basically said his favorite food is Nikki's hoo-ha
Old 10-27-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
I haven't watched the video, but I heard the story.

He basically said his favorite food is Nikki's hoo-ha
In answering a question from a child Cena himself then said would get the joke 'in about 15 years'. Not very PG or very classy.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:31 PM

BAHWANNNHHHHHNNNNAAAAAA

BANNNNHHHH

Things took an interesting turn behind the scenes for LU. Dario had one of his limo meetings with Baron Samedhi's henchman (is that still Lorenzo Lamas? If he doesn't have a mullet, I can't tell.) The two were talking about what they chose for their new host bodies after whatever happens happens. I'm guessing Dario will somehow arrange for Armageddon to take place by releasing the ancient Aztec gods to slaughter mankind, defended by Rey Mysterio, Prince Puma, El Dragon Azteca, et al.

Speaking of Rey Rey, he approached Dario and demanded a Loser Leaves Town match with Chavo Guerrero. I like the family feud angle, but I don't think they've done enough with it. The players had to be rearranged due to injuries, and the storyline just doesn't measure up. It's more like a "We don't know what to do with you guys, so you'll be working the family feud angle" situation. Chavo hasn't really established himself as a major villain, so it's more like a way to write him out without having Catrina suck his soul or something.

Exalted Excrement, the former Solomon Crowe (no LU name yet) all the sudden looks awesome, He's playing Ivelisse's current love interest, and comes across as kind of a douchebag, but comes to her rescue when she's attacked by Marty and Mariposa. All the sudden he's got lightning kicks and dances like a loose spark on a collapsed powerline. When did he get so amazing all the sudden? He was kinda "eh" in NXT, but somehow LU put the golden touch on him. I'm looking forward to seeing him tangle with Marty.

I'm continually amazed by how good Sexy Starr is and how she works so well with male wrestlers. Why'd she have to retire? Her match with Johnny Mundo had plenty of main event-level memes, complete with her allies banned from ringside while Mundo's partners in crime took advantage of a referee knockdown and gave her a three-way slam! Despite The Mack coming to her rescue, Mundo wins the Geeft of the Gods title from Sexy, and thus is eligible for a showdown with Matanza. More wrestling tropes crumble for heel-on-heel action. I wonder if Mundo is the one Dario chose to be his new host? Can Mundo effect a sinister Mexican accent?

They finally showed us a glimpse of the White Rabbit, a black dude in a white tux. I didn't recognize him, but maybe he's another PWG guy. Any insider info Smapti?

After the closing credits, Vampiro tells Prince Puma his victory over Mil Muertes wasn't enough. He needs to defeat him in a coffin match and consign him to death's door for good. I guess that's how they'll kill off Puma, since he's supposed to go to NJPW as Ricochet. He's truly one of the most talented workers I've ever seen. He can put on amazing matches with both cruiserweights and heavyweights. Gonna miss the Puma.

BAHWANNNHHHHHNNNNAAAAAA

BANNNNHHHH
Old 10-27-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
They finally showed us a glimpse of the White Rabbit, a black dude in a white tux. I didn't recognize him, but maybe he's another PWG guy. Any insider info Smapti?
That's the Smiling One himself, Paul London.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzeiger View Post
That's the Smiling One himself, Paul London.
SHUT UP! That's Paul London? How did I see a black guy? Must have been the contrast with the white tux.

Damn, that's perfect! PL is one of the most surreal wrestling personalities out there. He was pretty much the standard underdog babyface in WWE, but he's actually got a really weird sense of humor.

Speaking of the weirdness, who knew the Hardys were such mad geniuses. TNA showed their Halloween celebration at the Cameron Compound. Jeff morphed into another alter ego, Itchweed, and used a weedeater to make Halloween lawn art. I don't know if this was real or CGI, but the camera panned up into the stratosphere to show a giant Jack O-Lantern and Happy Halloween spread over several acres.

There were several occasions where 3 little kids came up to their door for Trick-of-Treat, dressed in different costumes each time (probably the same 3 kids). Matt summoned the Vanguard drone to fly around with a bedsheet with two eyeholes cut out and named it "Vanghost." Jeff started singing his "Obsolete" song and the trick-or-treaters echoed the refrain. OBSOLETE! I love it when children act creepy.

It would have been a great time to have a surprise attack by Decay, but they've been relegated as Rockstar Spud's teammates in the X Division six man whatever-it's-called tournament thing, which they lost. They didn't even get to do the poison mist spray!
Old 10-28-2016, 09:19 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHu_duOHPl4

Nine Legends Expansion Pack trailer. Ken Shamrock, DDP and a bunch of others do a commentary on the Nine Legends film which had Goldberg, Bret and Mike Tyson.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Crap, I almost forgot Hell in a Cell is today. Time for predictions!

* Kevin Owens vs. Seth Rollins, Hell in a Cell for the universal championship. I'm gonna pick Owens to retain here - the time's not right for babyface Rollins to get the win just get.

* Charlotte Flair (that's what they're billing her as now) vs. Sasha Banks, Hell in a Cell for the women's championship. I'm also gonna go with Sasha to retain here, as this is the obvious place to blow off their feud and it's one that really oughta end with Sasha on top.

* Roman Reigns vs. Rusev, Hell in a Cell for the US championship. Roman probably retains here too, though I'm not really sure who he goes on to feud with next.

* TJ Perkins vs. The Brian Kendrick for the cruiserweight championship. I'm rooting for Perkins, but I have a feeling Kendrick is going to win so that he can be the heel champ that feuds with someone like, say, Cedric Alexander or Jack Gallagher.

* Cesaro & Sheamus vs. the New Day for the tag titles. I've been predicting the New Day would drop the titles every PPV for like 6 or 7 months now, but THIS time... I'm gonna predict they drop the titles. Sheamsaro have the potential to be the next Team Hell No, and they'd play off each other great as co-champions who hate each other.

* Enzo Amore & Colin Cassady vs. Bullet Club. Gonna go with BC here - assuming Sheamus & Cesaro win the titles, Gallows and Anderson are likely to be in line as the next big contenders.

* Bayley vs. Dana Brooke. Bayley wins. No ifs, ands, or buts.

* Sin Cara, Cedric Alexander, & Lince Dorado vs. Tony Nese, Drew Gulak, and Ariya Daivari. This is the pre-show match, and it oughta be a fun one. Kinda weird that Daivari is getting a PPV match before Jack Gallagher has even debuted on the main roster, but whatever. I'm gonna say the babyface team wins this one.

This is the last brand-exclusive PPV until December, since Survivor Series is co-branded (and is now going to be running 4 1/2 hours).
Old 10-30-2016, 01:08 PM

I'm thinking HHH will interfere in the KO vs Seth match on KO's behalf, setting up a feud between the master and former teacher's pet for the next WM.

Regarding Sasha vs Charlotte - what championship match does WWE think will make more money after this, Sasha vs Nia Jax or Charlotte vs Bailey? I'm thinking Bailey spreads more merchandising joy, so Charlotte wins tonight to take on Bailey later.

There's rumors that Big E will go solo, and a ND title loss will get this jump-started. Team Hell No 2.0 takes the belts because booty has gotten booty.

I think Brian Kendrick will take the CW title because he lost to Swann on TV. They always do that, have the challenger lose on TV, then win the belt on the PPV. Rematch vs Swann ensues.

BC beats E&C bc Anderson lost to Enzo on TV. See above.

I'm going to predict a No Contest between Rusev & Reigns because the cage falls apart. It could happen.

Bailey beats Dana, and Nia does a run-in and destroys Bailey to keep herself relevant.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:35 PM

OK, Choke Chain Accolade in the Hold of the Year!
Old 10-30-2016, 08:17 PM

Huh. Charlotte vs Sasha is the headliner!
Old 10-30-2016, 08:45 PM

I still can't predict for shit, but this has been a killer PPV so far.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:09 PM

I just noticed they switched rope colors for the CW match.

Grats to TBK. Snakes need to be winners.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:22 PM

KO vs Rollins topped it out for me. Nothing wrong with the Sasha/Charlotte match, I didn't think anything else compared.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:57 PM

Corgan loses legal effort to take over TNA

Quote:
“The (relevant section) of the pledge agreement, the court concludes, was not implemented in accordance with Tennessee law and the LLC operating agreement, and Section 6 is, therefore, unenforceable to remove the defendant LLC managers,” Hobbs Lyled said in her ruling. “As to the occurrence of a default by way of insolvency, there has not been demonstrated a substantial likelihood of success on the merits because the operative text of the pledge agreement, ‘becomes insolvent,’ is ambiguous when applied to the facts of record.”
What the hell does that clusterfuck of legalese mean? There's nothing in Tennessee law that says you can take over an entity that owes you money and can't pay all their debts I guess? So does this mean Corgan was practicing predatory lending? Is TNA so bad off it can't even be stolen?
Old 10-31-2016, 10:11 PM

As I understand it, it boils down to

This was over a restraining order, so they might still be ruled insolvent if the full lawsuit goes through, but there's enough unknown that the court won't go along with the restraining order based on the possibility.

Part of the problem is that the company was apparently in such bad shape when Billy invested, that it's tough to prove that they're actually in worse shape now.

The part where Billy could take over power if certain condition weren't met was ruled to not be legal under TN law. Which seems like it might be worth some additional legal action itself, but I'm not a lawyer.

Mike Bennet posted a tweet critical of the decision, and Maria also stated that she was likely to leave wrestling very soon, so presumably they won't be at the next tapings, if and when they happen.

Haven't seen other reactions yet, but since Dixie told talent at the last tapings that she wasn't considering selling to WWE, and then court documents said she was considering it, they might not be real pleased.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:33 AM

Between that and the rumors that the other party will buy TNA, Dixie will keep a minority interest and get a spiffy title show that the entire goddamned thing is all about Dixie's EGO.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:30 PM

On November 29, a new one-hour, in-ring show called WWE 205 Live will debut on the WWE Network; so named because it will showcase the cruiserweights, who weigh 205 pounds and less.

Wonder if this means they'll no longer be on RAW.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:36 PM

I would doubt it.

My guess is they're doing a CWC, only making it weekly. Taping a few shows at a time at Full Sail and using it to make the RAW stars shine while giving some face time to the lower-tiered people like the Bollywood boys, Gallager, that French dude, etc.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:47 PM

Well, if it is a Tuesday night show, they should move the Cruiserweight Title to Smackdown and have those guys tour house shows with them.

Hell, have Miz win back the IC title and get ridiculous in attacking and insulting DBD while making stupid demands and then have him 'traded' to RAW in exchange for the Cruiserweight title.

Then put DBD back with Mauro in calling it.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:36 PM

Maybe they'll move Neville and Kallisto over to this and also some NXT also-rans.

Last edited by Knowed Out; 11-02-2016 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:51 PM

TNA should just hand over ownership to the Hardys. They invented their own Rocky Horroresque culture and totally made me forget how fucked TNA is behind the scenes. In addition, I'm really impressed with EC III's mike work. His feud with Eli "DUMMY! YEAH!" Drake is pretty intense.

My favorite moment of the night was the triple way X division match where Rockstar Spud squared off against the much larger Marshe Rockett. He got intimidated and tagged in the still larger Abyss, then flipped off Rockett, the gesture of which was mosaiced out.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:38 AM

You know, I'm 42 years old, it's really time i stopped yelling, "Hey, that's cheating!" at the screen. I should be over that by now.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:19 AM

Yes, even when we know we're taken in, we're still taken in.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:53 PM

Well, it looks like they're setting up the shift.

Expect Ziggler to lose the IC title to Sami Zayn, who takes it back to RAW.
Then Kallisto beats THE Brian Kendrick to take the CW title to Smackdown. Which makes sense since that title is moving to a non-TV network show immediately after Smackdown.

Now, as people have suggested, we just need to trade Graves for JBL and all will be right with the world.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:25 PM

This is what the Glasgow crowd was singing at Bayley.

Is it just me, or does it sound really spooky whenever a UK crowd sings in mass at sporting events?
Old 11-10-2016, 09:51 AM

OK, I get nervous when this thread goes idle.

Any NXT house show news STC?
Any behind-the-scenes chicanery of note Smapti?
Anything you're pissed about Chimera?

Prince Puma has been "killed off" in LU by losing in a coffin match to Mil Muertes, so Ricochet emerges in New Japan. Maybe WWE can lure him over to the CW division someday.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:59 AM

Eh, only been two days and many people are still in shock over Election Day.

My boys DIY lost to AoP in what was a pretty darned good match. Oh well, I believed they deserved the trophy for what they've done for NXT, but am curious as to the AoP vs. TM61 finale. I have to go with AoP being built as the unbeatable monsters who will rule the tag division just as Asuka rules the Women's division.

Last edited by Chimera; 11-10-2016 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Now, as people have suggested, we just need to trade Graves for JBL and all will be right with the world.
Oh how I wish the SD (LIVE!) announce team was just Mauro and Daniel Bryan. They were so great as the CWC announcers. Mauro and Graves would probably be good as well (especially if they'd tone down the heelishness a bit), but not as good. Just get Otunga the fuck out of there. He makes Byron Saxton look interesting.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:42 AM

Graves has a pretty bright future. He'll be the next top announcer. He makes the best 'out of the blue' (but probably rehearsed and pre-approved) comments.

Sometimes his 'I'm a heel so I always say heel things even when it is inconsistent' has an underlying current of subtly breaking the 4th wall. Kayfabe is dead, we both know it is a game, but he's playing the character by the traditional rules with a smile on his face and a lot of wit, and we know it is maddeningly inconsistent and makes no sense, but that is part of what makes it heelish. We all know people like that, the asshole who can say two completely opposite things and still argue with you how he is correct in the face of his blatant hypocrisy.