Old 06-26-2017, 02:55 PM

Obviously
Old 06-26-2017, 03:04 PM

Drago's teaming up with Hijo De Fantasma for the 4-way Tag Title match, so they're probably just there to put LAX over, then back to Mexico.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:49 AM

I have to give credit where credit is due, the first 2 hours of RAW had me.

Ms. Cups is in Portland for the week, which means I can spend some rare quality time with my Playstation. But every time I wanted to turn RAW off and play, something happened that was compelling enough to make me want to stay. At least for the first two hours.

I do have to say though, the fact that a Goldust and R-Truth feud has me this compelled really says something as well
Old 06-27-2017, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

The dangers of a live microphone and people unscripted and untrained in public speaking/appearances.

Quote:
"The inappropriate language used by a guest during the 'Miz TV' segment was not scripted nor reflects WWE's values."
Old 06-27-2017, 10:35 AM

I didn't even notice that
Old 06-27-2017, 10:39 AM

Wait, so The Miz has a segment in which he confronts LaVar Ball and calls him out on all of his nonsense, and The Miz is supposed to be the bad guy?!
Old 06-27-2017, 10:43 AM

I wonder if Vince screamed at him in the back like he does with his own talent.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:34 PM

New Ride-along out.

JeriKO before their breakup.
Nia Jax, Tom Phillips and Corey Graves.

Good stories. Especially loved Nia calling Byron Saxton from the car.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
Wait, so The Miz has a segment in which he confronts LaVar Ball and calls him out on all of his nonsense, and The Miz is supposed to be the bad guy?!
Glad to know I wasn't the only one wondering who the bad guy really was.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
I don't follow NBA, so I had no idea who those people were. I figured it was another time-killing local heat segment and ff'ed through it.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:35 AM

Dayummm, the SD women's ladder match was shit tons better than MITB. It was arguably better than the men's ladder match. It didn't have too many delays waiting for ladder setups. Whenever one chick started to climb, the others would all the sudden appear and attack. There was little "wait for spot set-up" time. Tamina's the only one who approaches man strength (by that I mean heavyweight athlete that can lift several hundred pounds), so there was none of the lumbering sloooooow ladder-used-as-weapon attacks.

Carmella has transitioned into the seminal cowardly heel role. She screams and whines whenever things don't go her way, and Ellsworth is superb as the henpecked not-really-boyfriend who does anything to prove his loyalty. I've always been indifferent about Natalya, but she's really found her groove recently. Becky Lynch is always a crowd pleaser, and Charlotte's a consummate professional. I thought she'd be made SD women's champ after crossing over, but she's playing more of an enhancement role without the jobbing.

Once in a blue moon the prime time shows can produce some real gems.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:58 AM

2 random bits of (semi local) news...

No picture, but apparently Izzys gone full heel as she's been spotted decked out in Alexa Bliss gear. You know your booking is bad when your superface's superfan has gone heel on you.

Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer declared next Wednesday "Impact Wrestling Day". Which means he'll be at the tapings that night (we have a whole week of em starting on Sunday). A weird gesture, but not totally unheard of since Impact has been down here for, like, 20 years or whatever.

(Fun fact: Before we officially got together, Ms. Cups and I came to Universal for Spring Break in grad school. I remember walking out of Universal and had the barker approach us and say "hey, do you guys want to see a free wrestling show? It's right through here!" We ended up saying no because we were driving out that next day. Who'da thought that 5 years later we would be here and going to those on the reg?)

Unfortunately (or maybe not) we will not be able to attend those tapings because Metallica is in town and we will be most likely getting rained on at Camping World while rocking out.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:10 AM

Geez, I thought the ladder match wasn't bad at all, and I was looking for slow climbing bullshit.

But the dirt sheets seem to think it was shit. One of them complained about all the suplexes and none of them landing on any of the ladders laying about.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post

No picture, but apparently Izzys gone full heel as she's been spotted decked out in Alexa Bliss gear. You know your booking is bad when your superface's superfan has gone heel on you.
Is she a teenager yet? Maybe she's going through her rebellious phase.

The problem with Bailey is that her fans outgrow her, like boy bands.

RAM can always make that an angle, if they're not still gun shy over the disastrous "This is Your Life" segment. Have a montage of pictures of Bailey hugging Izzy, then show Alexa Blizzy and watch Bailey cry.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Is she a teenager yet? Maybe she's going through her rebellious phase.
Thankfully I don't know her age. I'm also terrible with guessing ages, but I'd guess she's probably 13 at the absolute oldest. I'd actually guess she's probably 11 or 12.

So give her another 3 years before she's really going full heel.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:43 AM

No love for last night's NXT?

The Asuka-Nikki Cross match was suitably brutal. Much more so than the main roster women's ladder matches.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
No love for last night's NXT?

The Asuka-Nikki Cross match was suitably brutal. Much more so than the main roster women's ladder matches.
I honestly barely watch NXT anymore, and it's never live. By the time we get around to watching it, it's usually when we're bored on a a weekend, or after hearing that it was some grandiose and crazy episode. There's just too much wrestling out there and I have other shit to do.

After being so into it in the past and realizing it's usually better than the main product, I just can't get the motivation to see it.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:40 AM

BAHWANNNGGAAAHHHH

BAAAANNNHHH

The White Rabbit Paul London vs The Viper (not Randy Orton) Vibora with Snake Queen Kobra Moon

According to Paul London, the crotch is the center of energy and power. That's why he air humps so much. Vibora is 10 feet tall and could crush London like an insect, but London is too eccentric and weird to grab. When Kobra tries to run interference, Mala Suerte and Saltador run in from opposite directions and hide under the ring. When Vibora tries to enter the ring, they emerge and grab his legs, preventing him from beating the 10 count. London gets his derrière out of there and advances to the next round.

The Valkyrie Taya vs Penis Plexer Joey Ryan

Jim Cornette's favorite Indie star enters the ring pouring oil on his chest hairs, then slips his lollipop into the front of his trunks and rubs his JUNK all over it. He then offers the befouled lollipop to Taya, who refuses and then destroys him. Winner: Tayaaaaa

Dario is confabbing in his office with a bearded black masked guy who has a voice just like Son of Havoc. He says his name is Son of Chaos, and Dario pairs him with Son of Havoc next week. Will Matthew Capiccioni perform mitosis on himself?

The Man of a Thousand Deaths Mil Muertes vs Designated Jobber Veneno

I guess Ricky Reyes is playing a cop doing undercover work as a masked lucha, but they didn't show a vignette for it. They haven't returned to the Chief Detective chica with the other half of the medallion storyline yet. Prior to the match, Catrina resurrects Muertes backstage. She wants the Cueto Cup, so Muertes must obey her geas. Muertes goes on to demolish his opponent, and Catrina licks Veneno's face. Muertes faces Paul London next bracket. That should be fun.

Jeremiah Crane, Solomon Crowe in a Previous Life vs LU's Answer to the Unknown Soldier Killshot

Really well-paced match. Both contestants and athletic and fast, and don't resort to the usual helpless follow-through after taking a bump. When Crane gets thrown/ejected out of the ring, he immediately rolls back in and attacks. I love these kind of matches where ultra talented guys face each other for the first time and put on something amazing, like Daniel Bryan and Seth Rollins did on RAW a few years ago. Killshot eventually gets the victory. Dante Fox calls him out from the balcony as the show ends.

BAHWANNNGGAAAHHHH

BAAAANNNHHH

Last edited by Knowed Out; 06-29-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:55 AM

NXT is still the best of all the WWE shows. Mauro Renallo is lead announcer now, and Nikki Cross is a fucking monster. Hideo Itami is back in action, and Roderick Strong is a good top babyface. NXT at least changes things around often enough to keep from settling into a rut.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:24 PM

It occurs to me that Low Ki sounds like Ted Baxter when he does promos.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:31 AM
Charter Member

Indy show recap time!

DEFY is well on its way to becoming America's next super-indy, and tonight was their biggest show yet, featuring local performers alongside some of the best-known names on the indy scene. (Check out this cover story written about them in the local alt-weekly.) Out of seven matches on the card, five were either for a championship or had championship implications, and the stage was set for tomorrow night's show, the second part of the two-night "GIGANTIC" event, to be even bigger. Unfortunately, for the second consecutive time, Pentagon Jr. no-showed the event at the last minute, telling the promoters that he and Fenix were mugged en route to the airport. I'm beginning to think he just doesn't want to come up here, but even in his absence they managed to put on a hell of a show.

This was the first show that DEFY has done away from their home venue at Washington Hall. Instead, they risked the horror that is I-5 traffic, made their way to Tacoma's Stadium District, and held this show in the Plaza Grand Ballroom, a dancehall on the basement level of the old Masonic Temple. I made my way to Tacoma several hours early, killed an hour or so playing pinball at Dorky's Arcade, got too-sweeted by a number of passers-by who saw my Bullet Club shirt, had some nachos and a pint of house-brewed IPA at the craft brewery across the street from the Temple, and saunted across the street and down several flights of stairs to somehow wind up in front of the line to get in. The venue itself is very nice and well-maintained; compared to WA Hall it's roomier and has more space, and it has functioning AC so it wasn't quite as sweltering hot. I still wound up with a seat where there was a floodlight shining in my face, but it wasn't as bright as the one at WA Hall that gave me a headache.

A few minutes before the doors opened, promoter Jim Perry stepped outside to address the gathering crowd. "As you might have heard," he said, "we got boned again. But don't worry; our card is sick, we have a match I can't even announce yet, somebody's getting a shot at a certain world title in our main event, don't tell anyone, OK?"

The doors opened two hours early for "DEFYCon", an exclusive mega-meet-and-greet for front row VIPs such as myself (and anyone else who paid an extra $20 on top of their ticket.) Almost everyone on the card was shaking hands, posing for photos, and signing merch; I picked up autographed 8x10s of Joey Ryan, both members of reDRagon, and Davey Boy Smith Jr. (Side note; Kyle O'Reilly has the most stereotypical Canadian accent I have ever heard, he was literally saying things like "I'm oot of $5s" and "It's pretty warm in here, eh?" to the other wrestlers at the table.) Just as I was getting to my seat, Jim announced on the PA that anyone with a front-row ticket could make their way backstage for a meet & greet with Cody Rhodes. I somehow managed to be first in line for that too and got to see him again, got another photo with him, and got him to autograph an "American Nightmare" Bullet Club shirt for me. (Anyone know how to preserve an autograph on a t-shirt? I might want to actually wear this thing someday.)

The show opened with the World Heavyweight Championship on the line. (How often do you get to say that?) Specifically, Davey Richards was defending against Darby Allin in what was also a semi-final match in the DEFY Championship tournament. Pretty solid opener with an interesting clash of styles - Richards was focusing on mat grappling and submission holds, while Allin was going for acrobatics. Davey got the win via armbar, and cut a short promo afterward about how he doesn't care who he has to face in the tournament final, because he owns Seattle wrestling now. He was briefly interrupted by a chant of "Who's house? SWERVE'S HOUSE!", to which he said "Oh, you wanna waste ten minutes? Go ahead, I still got your money anyway."

Following that, in tag team action, was Mr. Fitness and "Simply the Best" Steve West teaming up against the sexiest tag team in the Pacific Northwest - the King of Thong Style Eddie Van Glam, and the King of Dong Style Joey Ryan. As Mr. Fitness was making his entrance, I yelled "You suck, Fitness!" at him - and he got in my face, pointed at me, and yelled "No, YOU suck!" Joey made his entrance in his typical grand fashion, and when the Streamer Club (a group of fans who sit in the front row at every show and throw streamers in the ring) pelted the ring with "I (heart) (mustache)" streamers, he deliberately wrapped himself up in them so that a female member of the ring crew would have to get in the ring, drop to her knees in front of him, and peel them off.

Joey and Fitness started the match, after Joey delayed for several minutes to oil himself up and call for everyone with chest hair to flash the ring. As soon as the bell rang he yelled "Touch my dick!" at Fitness (which immediately lead to chants of "TOUCH HIS DICK!" and "STEVE IS GONNA TOOOOOOOOOUCH IT!" and spent the next few minutes trying unsuccessfully to get him and his partner to do so. At one point Steve West kneed him in the crotch and he sold his knee. Eddie Van Glam ended up playing Ricky Morton for most of the match before tagging Joey back in, and all four men started to brawl. The finish came when, simultaneously, Fitness' hand landed on Joey's crotch and West's on Eddie's buttcheek, and they both proceeded to hulk up and deliver simultaneous dick-plexes/butt-plexes. They then pulled matching lollipops out of their trunks, stuck them in the heels' mouths, superkicked them, and pinned them both at once for the win. During their walk of shame up the ramp, Fitness and West were constantly wretching, spitting, and acting like they were about to vomit.

Our second title match of the evening was next; Ave Rex, one half of the up-until-recently-undefeated Los Sexi-Mexis, defending the Lucha Libre Volcanica Grand Championship against Tacoma's own Mike Santiago. (LLV is a lucha academy that runs out of Seattle and does free shows every now and then, though I haven't had a chance to make it to one.) Santiago had solid heel heat in this match - he only got one streamer thrown at him, and he immediately tossed it back. He managed to crack wise a few times, though - when one audience member yelled "FUCK TACOMA!" at him, he replied "We're BOTH from Tacoma, you dumbass!" For a lucha match, this was remarkably slow-paced and methodical; Santiago was setting the pace most of the match, focusing on grappling and holds. Ave nonetheless managed to pull off some impressive acrobatics when he was in control, including a Canadian Destroyer (I.e. the single most confusing move in all of wrestling, look it up on Youtube if you don't believe me.) Ave retained with a combination leglock-crossface submission.

Closing out the first half of the show was a four-way match for the first-ever Tacoma Women's Cup, featuring Angelina Love, Christina Von Eerie, Su Yung, and Nicole Matthews. (This was originally supposed to be an elimination match, but it ended up being one fall instead.) As previously, Eerie was accompanied by her fiancé Scotty Mac, and Su Yung by Satanic sexual predator Derek Drexl. I managed to get more heat at this point - I told Scotty he sucked and he told me I sucked, and I told Drexl he was sick and he said "Thank you." Matthews, making her DEFY debut, has been known as "the Shimmertaker" due to her having been a dominant figure in SHIMMER, and is the three-time and current world champion in ECCW (I.e. the Vancouver territory), though she didn't have the belt with her. Scotty was trying to "protect" Eerie from the streamers being thrown at her and started throwing them back at the crowd.

As soon as the bell rang, the babyfaces (Matthews and Love) double-teamed Su Yung and chucked her out of the ring. Eerie fled soon after, and pretty soon, all four women were out of the ring fighting on the floor, up the ramp, on the stage, and practically into the crowd (Su Yung got tossed through a barrier at one point.) This was the most intense women's match I've ever seen live, the ladies doing suicide dives and taking slams and suplexes on the unpadded hardwood floor. Drexl and Scotty got involved a few times, mainly running interference. At one point Matthews tried to steal Drexl's kendo stick and he yelled "Hey! Don't touch my stick!" This lead to a brief chant of "TOUCH HIS STICK!", which ended when Matthews turned to the crowd and said "What? Gross." The fight eventually made it back into the ring, and Angelina nearly had the match won when Eerie slid in, attacked her, and stole a pin on Su Yung to win the match. The trophy was awarded to her, though Scotty accepted it on her behalf and seemed to be unwilling to let go of it when she tried to hold it up herself, possibly setting up a future angle.

After a half-hour intermission (during which Steve Migs announced the main event would be Cody Rhodes defending the ROH title against Kyle O'Reilly), we came back with a triple threat - Davey Boy Smith Jr. vs. Bobby Fish vs. Seattle's own world champion Iron Sheik wannabe King Khash. This match was originally supposed to be reDRagon vs. Davey & Fenix, but the infamous "card subject to change" clause had come into effect. Davey, of course, is the son of the late "British Bulldog" Davey Boy Smith and Diana Hart, was previously known as David Hart Smith in WWE, is sometimes called "the British Bulldog" himself (even though he has a Canadian accent and lives in Japan), and enters the ring to "Rule Britannia" like his father did.

Davey was extremely impressive in this match. He's taller than the other guys by at least a head and is built like a brick shithouse. Poor King Khash (metaphorically, that is; I imagine he's not too upset about getting an unexpected payday) was the Designated Jabroni for this match; the overwhelming majority of it consisted of Davey and Bobby beating the piss out of him, occasionally turning on each other just over the right to pin him. Davey got the win off a piledriver.

Up next, we got the other DEFY Championship semi-final/battle of the Lucha Underground superstars; the King of Swerve Style, Tacoma's own Shane Strickland (Killshot) vs. Matt Cross (Son of Havoc). I believe this was Cross' first match since breaking his leg off a botched moonsault at DEFY 1. He got a big "Welcome back!" chant and was nearly getting as good a pop as Strickland, who was wrestling in his hometown for the first time ever. Cross was in control for most of the match, and it seemed like he might get the upset victory after he pulled off a GTS on Strickland, though Shane recovered and was able to hit a 253 (his appropriately renamed version of the 619.) Cross teased his top-rope foot stomp several times but never quite managed to connect, on one occasion getting taken down himself when Strickland jumped up and hit an RKO OUTTA NOWHERE. Cross would pull an RKO off himself later on. There was an unfortunate spot where Cross tried for a top-rope moonsault and botched badly, catching his leg in the ropes, but he was able to recover from it and keep the match going. (Maybe he should just stop trying to moonsault off of things.) The finish came when both men tried to RKO each other at once - Strickland came out on top and immediately locked in an armbar, forcing Cross to tap.

After the match, Davey Richards came out with a microphone. He was about to start talking when Shane grabbed the mic from him and told him that he respects Davey, and in tomorrow's final, may the better man win - and that man is Swerve. As he turned to walk away, Davey went into full heel mode and attacked him, laying him out and repeatedly bashing his leg against the ringpost as if trying to break it. Most of the babyfaces (including Batboy, who was in costume despite not competing at the show) ran out to break up the fight, and Davey got into a shouting match with booker/commentator Matt Farmer, with Jim Perry holding him back to stop them from getting physical. Eventually, two females in EMT uniforms (I have no idea if they were real EMTs or not; they had patches from the local ambulance company, but they didn't seem to be acting like real EMTs) ran out and helped Shane to the back, hopping on one foot. I assume this was a storyline injury to build suspense for tomorrow's match, a la the classic "Can he overcome the odds with an injured limb?" angle.

The main event was originally supposed to be Cody Rhodes vs. Pentagon Jr. Since Penta didn't show, Kyle O'Reilly got the spot instead. This had originally been announced as an ROH World Championship match, and Cody wore the belt to the ring, but Steve Migs didn't mention the belt during his introductions, so I guess they were kinda playing it both ways so that it could be a title match in the house but a non-title match for the tapes. Cody was billed as "Cody Rhodes" for this match, so I guess whatever trademark WWE has on the Rhodes name doesn't stop him from using it at non-televised events. Kyle, despite hailing from Vancouver, insisted on being introduced as "fighting out of Headlock City, Washington". A few people yelled "Stardust!" at Cody, but didn't get the reaction that one guy got at DEFY 1. A few people were yelling "FUCK THE REVIVAL!", in reference to a backstage promo Cody cut on Dash & Dawson a few months ago. (A conversation broke out at one point; "FUCK THE REVIVAL!" "WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE REVIVAL?" "WHO CARES - FUCK THEM!" "I LIKE THE REVIVAL!" "WHAT DID THEY DO TO MAKE CODY SO MAD?" "THEY KNOW WHAT THEY DID!")

The story of the match essentially revolved around two things; Cody working Kyle's legs, and Kyle trying to wear Cody down with headlocks and sleeper holds. Over the course of the match, the headlocks went from mundane, to repetitive, to comical; people were yelling "Try putting him in a headlock!", and I was getting laughs for responding to a leglock with "That'll never work, you've got to lock in the head!" and "OH MY GOD HE'S IN A HEADLOCK! REF, STOP THE MATCH BEFORE HE KILLS HIM!" Some degree of decorum was eventually restored, and despite failing to get the win off a Disaster Kick or Crossrhodes, Cody eventually got the pin off a superplex.

After the match, he laid the ROH title out in the ring and said that somehow, between when he fought at DEFY 1 and tonight, he became world champion, and therefore fighting in DEFY must be good luck. He then proceeded to cut a promo on Kazuchika Okada, telling the crowd that this Saturday in Long Beach, whether you like it or not, he's going to become the first man to hold the ROH World Championship and the IWGP Heavyweight Championship at once. To close the show, he lead everyone in a chant of "FUCK THE REVIVAL!"

Match of the night? Hard to pick one. Every single fight on this card was solid and entertaining. I guess if you held a gun to my head I'd say Strickland/Cross, but Cody/O'Reilly and the Tacoma Women's Cup are close seconds.

Tomorrow is night two back at Washington Hall, and we know very little about the card - all that's been announced is the championship final of Davey Richards vs. Shane Strickland, reDRagon vs. Pentagon Jr. & Fenix (which will almost certainly have to be rebooked), and Davey Boy Smith Jr. vs. an eliminated tournament semifinalist yet to be named. If it's anywhere near as good as tonight's show was, it'll be one of the best live events I've ever seen.

Last edited by Smapti; 06-30-2017 at 04:31 AM.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:37 AM

I was listening to wrestling podcasts on YouTube, clicking on their "Suggested for you" videos, and came across a Booking the Territory podcast interview of the One Man Gang. He was one of my favorites in the 80s. I just liked the way he was so loud and rambunctious and surprisingly agile for his size. He made his mark in WCCW and UWF before getting picked up by WWF. About a year or so later, Vince decided he looked too "black and white" and transformed him into Akeem the African Dream.

He sounded like a real good ol' boy, nothing at all like his character. Hard Times Rod Price was also in on the call. I never heard of the guy, but apparently he and OMG go back a ways. OMG ribbed him about having to tape a kotex to his head to staunch the crimson flow after he bladed in a match.

After listening to the show, I went to BtT's FB page and they had a link for a Go Fund Me for OMG. His house in Baton Rouge had gotten wiped out from flooding. I went ahead and donated $100. What the hell, he gave so much of himself to wrestling and had his share of feast and famine, so I figured I could pay him back for giving me so much fun back in the day.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:22 AM

Kairi Hojo is now Kairi Sane.

As I said elsewhere, now I want to see SANITY come out during her match looking very confused.

As I also said elsewhere about SANITY, I'm constantly amazed at how groups dedicated to chaos have 'orders' and 'plans'.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Well, The Promotion Formerly Known As TNA is rebranding again - Anthem has bought GFW from Jeff Jarrett and the company will be known as GFW going forward.

I ]knew I should have invested in Double J's gold scam while I had the chance.

Last edited by Smapti; 06-30-2017 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Anybody besides me watch night one of the NJPW G1 US Special?

Okada retained the world title over Cody Rhodes, but War Machine managed to beat Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa for the IWGP tag titles.

Tonight's show, which you can watch live on NJPWWorld, is set to feature Tanahashi vs. Billy Gunn for the intercontinental title, the Young Bucks vs. Roppongi Vice for the junior heavyweight tag titles, and the semi-finals and finals of the IWGP US Championship tournament - Jay Lethal vs. Kenny Omega and Tomohiro Ishii vs. Zack Sabre Jr. in the semis.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:10 AM

My provider doesn't carry AXS, but roughly half those guys work in RoH anyway.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:10 AM

Good show. The general botchiness that occurred whenever Billy Gunn was in the ring doesn't suggest to me that Tanahashi vs. The One is going to be anything but a toilet break, but who knows. Omega/Ishii seems like the most likely finals, but who knows if they'll keep this Cody/Omega feud going and cause ruckus somehow.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:39 PM

I'm watching GLOW on Netflix and enjoying the shit out of it. It surprisingly goes right to the cerebral part of wrestling, the process where the performers rely on each other to get over by finding the motivations behind their characters. It shows a similar process to what WWE did when they capitalized on real heat. One girl slept with another girl's husband, and it developed into the longtime feud of Cuntar vs Miss Liberty Belle.

Notable guest stars include Johnny Mundo, Awesome Kong (as the Welfare Queen), Tyrus, Epico, Frankie Kazarian, Kristopher Daniels, Joey Ryan (as a rich boy heel), and Alex Riley, who has a pretty prominent guest role as Steel Horse. Riley turns out to actually be a decent actor.

One episode had a pretty cute Bailey reference. The women first learn the "Lock and Tie-up," which they adapt into dance moves. As they practice the move, the director is telling them to gear up their characters' motivations and gimmicks. He then says "OK ladies, no more hugging. Pick another gimmick." One girl says, "What if that is your gimmick?"
Old 07-02-2017, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

And there you have it - Kenny Omega is the first-ever IWGP United States Champion. Jim Cornette is going to be furious.

Hell of a match Young Bucks vs. RPG was probably the second-best on the card, and the post-match breakup was heartbreaking. Tanahashi vs. Gunn was better than I expected, but I hope they blur Tanahashi's bare ass when this gets replayed on AXS.

I wonder what the plans are coming up for the US division? They mentioned they'll be running shows here again next year - perhaps in the meantime we see more of Kenny on ROH shows defending the title. Presumably at some point they'll pull the trigger on Cody turning on Kenny - most likely Cody convinces BC to turn on Kenny and make him the new leader.

Last edited by Smapti; 07-02-2017 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:39 AM

Found a cool series on you tube called "behind the titantron" covers a lot of public stuff but most people didn't know

The first I watched was on dino bravo getting killed ..the wrestling community always said he was killed during a burglary ...apparently he was involved in cigarette smuggling and working up to cocaine distribution ....... theres others ......... the poster goes by "wrestlemania"
Old 07-03-2017, 09:29 AM

As NJPW was off ruining the sanctity of finishers and the art of selling, we had a quite good Slammiversary here in Orlando. I'll run through the card as best my memory will allow (which, btw, I'm godawful at names. So get ready for a lot of "this other dude...")...

Pre-Pre-Show: So before the show even started they did a promo video featuring an owl. They had a bird guy (apparently the animal wrangler for all the Harry Potter animals) make his owl fly from the ramp to the middle of the ring. They did it a few times to get a few different shots. The real kicker about that is you can clearly see Ms. Cups and I in one of the shots. I mean, you have to be looking for us and know where we sat, but once you did we're right there, front and center.

Pre-Show: The pre-show was a match between Laural Van Ness, her cousin dude and Male Awesome Kong versus Braxton Suter, Allie and Token Big Indian Guy. I've come to find out that GFW (as it's now called) is more in the Lucha Underground camp than the WWE camp when it comes to mixed tags. The women hit the men a pretty good amount. The match was good too. Although I find it funny that the BS/Allie/LVN/rivalry has literally been going on an entire year at this point. Match was pretty good mostly because LVN is really funny and dedicated to her character.

GFW Tag-Team Match: This was a giant-ass tag match that encompassed all the other promotions GFW is a part of. The highlight of the match for everyone was the appearance of Drago. The fans were often chanting his name and he got the biggest pops (other than LAX). Unfortunately, Drago didn't put on the best show. He had a huge botch where he fell off the top of the ropes and missed quite a few of his dives. Oh well, the match was fine enough. There is a female member of LAX who hurt her knee pretty good in the match. LAX won.

Moose and Deangelo Williams vs. Chris Adonis and Eli Drake: Can't exactly tell you the beginnings of this feud, but the marquee person was Williams. D-Will is currently the starting and star running back for the Steelers and is making his wrestling debut. So, I'll say this, I don't have much experience with celebrities in the ring, but holy shit can this guy go! He didn't just get in there and do a hip throw or two and call it a day. He did a helluva standing moonsault, hip thrusts, clothes lines, he was powerbombed onto Adonis for an elbow drop and he sold like a mofo too. Knew to grab his head after a back bump and everything. Dude really knew wrestling. All that said, I feel so, so, SO bad for him. His absolute highspot was going to be diving off the top rope and smashing Eli through a table. Unfortunately, he didn't jump high enough and ended up just bouncing off the table and bending it. You could tell he was pissed at himself at the end of it. Regardless, he can wrestle in front of me any day of the week.

James Storm v EC3 Strap Match: This match involved a lot of EC3 getting his ass kicked. This match was very, very weird at the end and I kinda missed why. I was in the process of turning away from the match to look at a phone when I saw out of the corner of my eye James Storm just collapse. I thought he was pulling a Ric Flair, because I swear EC3 didn't hit him or anything, he just fell. The ref tended to Storm for quite a while until EC3 pushed the ref away and gave Storm some kind of Pedigree-looking move for the pin. After that, a whole host of medical people came out to tend to Storm. The post-match sequence took a long time to do and Storm looked...off. I may just be a mark about it, but it actually looked serious.

Jeremy "Backstage Passes!" Borash and Some-Dude-Who-Looks-Like-Penn-Jillette versus Josh Matthews and Scott Steiner:: Think of this match as this year's final deletion. It started in the ring and everyone ran to the back where the pre-taped segment kicked in. The in-ring stuff was fine enough, and the taped segment was entertaining I guess. It had a cameo by Shark-boy? I think that's his name? The audience freaked out about it. The match ended when Abyss came out and nailed Matthews. Apparently Abyss has been off TV a while because people really freaked out about it.

Eddie Edwards and Wife versus Davey Richards and Wife in a Full Metal Mayhem Match: Holy crap this was a hard fought match! I really have to give props to the women, they had a brutal match against one another. Not "blood pouring from sexy star's face" match, but WAY WAY better than anything WWE does. There were chairs, ladders, tables, trashcans and tumbtacks. Richards put a bunch in Eddie's mouth and punched the tacks out of him. That was cool. The good guys won and everyone was happy.

Sanjay Dutt versus Low Ki, 2 out of 3 falls match: And this is where GFW lost the crowd. I hate 2 out of 3 falls matches more than any stipulation out there, and you could tell the crowd just wasn't into this match. The story was pretty stupid to begin with, but it was silent in there. Sanjay Dutt retained. Also, I love how Low Ki is just legitmately the dude from the Hitman video game series. Bald, dresses in a suit with a red tie, has glasses and his titantron is full of barcodes.

Rosemary vs. Siena, GFW and Impact belt Unification Match: The crowd was a bit low for this match too, but it was decent overall. Not as intense as the Wolve's Wives, but not totally boring either. LVN ran out for whatever reason, so did Allie. I didn't see the finish to this because the ladies had their backs turned to us, but I think Siena won because of something to do with the green mist that Rosemary usually spits. Regardless, another GFW person won...who'da thought?

Main Event: Lashley versus Alberto El Patron: This was quite the hard fought match. Both these guys can handle some stiff work, so they really showed it. Alberto was especially reckless. He had some wicked-ass diving headbutts and took a killer bump falling out of the ring. The unintentionally funny part of the match was the entourages. Lashley came out with fellow MMA fighter King Mo, and AEP had his dad. Despite being about 30 years younger, and WAY tougher than Mr. El Patron, King Mo was REALLY concerned about him. Like, seriously, what's he REALLY gonna do? The one thing this match was missing, to me, were some really compelling near falls. I never felt as if someone was going to win at any given moment. The match was hard fought, and good...just not super compelling. Something to think about: AEP came out with his dad who wore his mask. There's a section that's non-hardcam dedicated to family members of the wrestlers. It's in perfect view of the mobile cams, so when they need to involve the guests they can. Seated in this section was a person also wearing Mr. El Patron's mask. Clearly a female, clearly a white female. Ms. Cups said quite quickly that it was Paige. I didn't totally see it. The girl didn't look tall, or pale, enough to me. But she never took the mask off, was super excited that AEP won, and was IMMEDIATELY rushed to the back after the win. Was it Paige? I dunno, but it's interesting to think about that she was masked the whole time...

Last thing: After the match AEP grabbed a mic and said how it was a hard fought match and he respects Lashley blah blah. He said he worked for a lot of wrestling companies "including that fucking place wwe!" (crowd cheers!) and "we aren't sports entertainers, but fucking wrestlers! Fuck wwe, we are hard working motherfuckers! And do this for you! The REAL fans!" (crowd cheers some more and starts a very short "fuck wwe" chant that dies immediately).

Okay, I get it, he's trying to put over the fans and all. But I cannot stress to you enough how free these tickets are. They're free. Totally free. Hell, while we were waiting in line to get in it started raining, so they gave us Impact Wrestling branded rain ponchos. Again, for free. You can blow smoke at us all you want, but I 1000% guarantee you ain't no one gonna be there if you forced me to pay money for this. I'd pay 10 bucks or so for a PPV like this, but a taping? Hell naw. And no one else will either. And it's very easy for AEP to say "fuck WWE" because of who he is. You think anyone else there feel that way? That they wouldn't lave Impact in a second to go to WWE? Nyope. AEP, Lashley and maybe EC3 would stay. Everyone else would go there yesterday if they could.

Oh, and way to go Impact fans. Way to pretend you don't follow WWE. If it makes you feel any better, you can hold your hat on your once-a-month FREE wrestling show.

Ok rant over. Yikes. I'm winded...
Old 07-03-2017, 10:32 AM

G1 USA Night 2 was a blast. Ishii is one of those people who I always forget how good he is somehow - with him and Sabre Jnr, and Naito going out early, NJPW's doing a good job of building up who will almost inevitably be among the also-rans for the G1 proper, and Naito isn't hurt at all. I wasn't a huge fan of the Jnr. Tag Titles match, but I never find them bad, so that's fine. I'll have to eat my words on Tanahashi/Gunn; it wasn't a great match by any stretch, but it was perfectly fine. The multi-man matches seem like the live crowd had a blast, and they were good dumb entertainment, which is basically all you're going to get from undercard multiman NJPW.

But Ishii, man. That rope-bite spot. Going through the table, which looked terrifying the first time and really safe on the replay. Him getting to the ropes when tied up into a knot by Zack. Pulling out that smooth-as-heck DDT and a OWA against Kenny. Selling like a boss (and I have to disagree with Sir T-Cups, the selling on this show and protection of finishers generally was great, aside from of course the Young Bucks). For sure the wrestler of the night.

Last edited by Revenant Threshold; 07-03-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:35 PM

Update: That was definitely Paige. Stupid Ms. Cups always being right!

Also, if you watch the gif of the opening of Slammiversary, as soon as they cut to the owl landing on his pearch and zoom in on him, if you look to the right of the owl/perch you can see my light blue cutoff and Ms. Cups' gray hat. Fuck this owl.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:08 PM

Hee hee, posers at a free event.

The Penn Jillette guy is Abyss's alter ego. Abyss has been with TNA since the beginning so he's kind of the great stalwart who stayed loyal and thus has a good fan base.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:01 PM

Yeah, Joseph Park and Abyss are the same person, a few years back there was an angle where Abyss was taken out and then Joseph Park showed up claiming to be a lawyer looking for his brother Abyss, and after several months it was revealed to him that he actually was Abyss.

When Decay broke up, Abyss vanished again, so when JB showed up with a lawyer, making that lawyer be Park made some story callback sense.

Also, while Abyss was with Decay, he was without his mask, so putting his mask on and coming out to his old music was going to be a crowd pleaser. As was the addition of James Mitchell, Abyss' satanic mentor/possible father who hasn't been seen on Impact for maybe 7-8 years?
Old 07-05-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzeiger View Post
Yeah, Joseph Park and Abyss are the same person, a few years back there was an angle where Abyss was taken out and then Joseph Park showed up claiming to be a lawyer looking for his brother Abyss, and after several months it was revealed to him that he actually was Abyss.

When Decay broke up, Abyss vanished again, so when JB showed up with a lawyer, making that lawyer be Park made some story callback sense.

Also, while Abyss was with Decay, he was without his mask, so putting his mask on and coming out to his old music was going to be a crowd pleaser. As was the addition of James Mitchell, Abyss' satanic mentor/possible father who hasn't been seen on Impact for maybe 7-8 years?
You see, this would have been great information to know beforehand. Probably should have done some research. Although I did know who Abyss was because of his time with Decay, I just figured he was part of the creation of decay like Rosemary and Crazzy Steve.

Has anyone watched GLOW on Netflix yet? Ms. Cups and I binged the whole season yesterday and it was pretty good. The best part about the show is that each episode is only a half hour long, so it moves much quicker than most Netflix IPs. At the end of the day it's more about the drama between the main characters, but the wrestling bits are fun and the cameos are fun to spot as well.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Has anyone watched GLOW on Netflix yet? Ms. Cups and I binged the whole season yesterday and it was pretty good. The best part about the show is that each episode is only a half hour long, so it moves much quicker than most Netflix IPs. At the end of the day it's more about the drama between the main characters, but the wrestling bits are fun and the cameos are fun to spot as well.
Yes, I talked about GLOW in #6128.

James "The Sinister Minister" Mitchell was Abyss's evil manager in the past. He was a guest on one of Jim Cornette's podcasts. He said he practically banged his head against the wall telling Abyss he didn't need to risk permanently disabling his body with the thumbtacks and barbed wire spots. Mitchell also said he now makes money by singing karaoke for middle-aged women in Orlando. Maybe you and Mrs. Cups can catch his act. :-)

In other news, the US is now enemies with Bulgaria. Cena and Rusev are going to have a flag-on-a-pole match. When Rusev did his promo, he had a glazed look, like "I can't believe I'm doing this shit." Guess Vince doesn't want to shoot down Donald's buddy Vladimir no more.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Yes, I talked about GLOW in #6128.

James "The Sinister Minister" Mitchell was Abyss's evil manager in the past. He was a guest on one of Jim Cornette's podcasts. He said he practically banged his head against the wall telling Abyss he didn't need to risk permanently disabling his body with the thumbtacks and barbed wire spots. Mitchell also said he now makes money by singing karaoke for middle-aged women in Orlando. Maybe you and Mrs. Cups can catch his act. :-)

In other news, the US is now enemies with Bulgaria. Cena and Rusev are going to have a flag-on-a-pole match. When Rusev did his promo, he had a glazed look, like "I can't believe I'm doing this shit." Guess Vince doesn't want to shoot down Donald's buddy Vladimir no more.
Epico was in it? Who was he?
Old 07-05-2017, 11:44 AM

So, do we think that Tamina "Papa Shango'd" that run-in last night?
Old 07-05-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Epico was in it? Who was he?
Actually, I'm wrong. It was Carlito. He was the shorter Jackson brother with all the hair.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reluctant A. View Post
What do you mean?
Old 07-05-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Actually, I'm wrong. It was Carlito. He was the shorter Jackson brother with all the hair.
That's who I assumed you meant, but I thought "Did he get him confused with Carlito for a second?"

I knew it was her, but I didn't recognize Awesome Kong AT ALL. She did really well too, everyone did. Performed all their own stunts too. Not that there was a lot of wrestling action, but it's still impressive given Allison Brie's short stature
Old 07-05-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I don't think she used voodoo to control Lana. It's probably more of an intervention angle.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:43 PM

Ok, I get it now. Reference to when Papa Shango was supposed to break up a pin and arrived too late, so the person had to kick out of a Hogan leg drop.

What would I love to see? A road segment where Tamina is driving a blindfolded Lana somewhere. Which turns out to be the NXT Performance Center.

Kicks her out of the car, still blindfolded, says "Learn to wrestle!" and drives off, tires squealing.

Last edited by Chimera; 07-05-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:45 PM

The next week Lana gets in the ring and demands a match against Asuka.

Nicki Cross comes out and just punks her out cold.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:23 PM

I guess WWE is trying to avoid making her the next Eva Marie.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Ok, I get it now. Reference to when Papa Shango was supposed to break up a pin and arrived too late, so the person had to kick out of a Hogan leg drop.
Indeed; I don't necessarily think that Tamina was supposed to break up the submission, but I kind of got the sense that she showed up about thirty seconds or so too late. It seemed like Naomi had to vamp a few seconds after the match longer than she was supposed to, and there was some awkwardness both in the ring and at the announce table, as if someone had deviated significantly from the script, and nobody knew how to recover.

Nitpick: Also, "the person" was Sid Justice, at WM8.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Indeed; I don't necessarily think that Tamina was supposed to break up the submission, but I kind of got the sense that she showed up about thirty seconds or so too late. It seemed like Naomi had to vamp a few seconds after the match longer than she was supposed to, and there was some awkwardness both in the ring and at the announce table, as if someone had deviated significantly from the script, and nobody knew how to recover.

Nitpick: Also, "the person" was Sid Justice, at WM8.
You would almost hope this isn't the case, because it would be her second significant screw up in as many weeks, as I'm sure we all remember the repeated "make you look like Ellsworth" line.

She's not getting into Dasha territory just yet, but she's not helping cause that's for sure.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:47 AM

BAHWAHAHAHHHHHHH

BAAAANNNHHHH

In the opening vignette, we are in Boyle Heights. Dante Fox is jogging down the streets, past construction sites and graffiti. He then has a flashback to when he served in Afghanistan and was captured by the enemy. In a GITMO reverie, he's bound to a chair and wearing a hood. His captors unmask him and slap him until he spews streams of blood on the walls. Dante then comes back to the present and approaches the temple, seeing Killshot standing on top of the building and pointing at him.

This is the last bracket of the 1st round of the Cueto Cup tournament.

Sexy "No I didn't retire to go into boxing, you marks" Star vs PJ Black, the Dare Wolf

PJ demonstrates he is a stronger male chauvinist, lifts SS and tosses her around, then flexes. Sexeh makes her comeback and is about to make a top rope attack, when Taya shows up and distracts the referee. The rest of the Underground clique appear and Sexeh splashes them. As the ref turns to address the situation and shake his finger disapprovingly, Taya tosses brass knuckles to PJ. PJ attempts to use the knucks on Sexeh as she returns to the ring, but misses so wildly, he drops them. Sexeh picks them up and uses them on PJ, then gets DQed by the ref. Probably the only time there was a DQ finish in LU. PJ Black advances.

Backstage, Rey Mysterio Jr is giving El Dragon Azteca a pep talk, when Prince Puma shows up and promises to take the belt from Rey after he faces Johnny Mundo. Puma is still miffed that he lost to Rey Rey before, and says he will no longer consider him his mentor. The Jedi lost a Padawan.

Prince "I can't work until the episodes I taped last year finally air" Puma vs Ricky "I'm copying Mundo, not XPac" Mandel

Mandel reproduces Mundo's shotgun-loading gesture a few times, but it takes Puma about a minute to defeat him. The commentators lament that Puma didn't use the 630 Splash, but apparently Puma isn't about the showy gestures anymore.

Another Mundo vs Rey Rey vignette airs, with a Robin Leach soundalike doing the voiceover. Mundo is depicted as a product of privilege, whereas Rey Rey is shown mixing with the common peoples. He says he doesn't win for himself. He wins for the people! How touching.

Son of Havoc (the masked guy with the beard and shaved chest) vs Son of Madness (the masked guy with the beard and chest hair)

Vampiro explains how motorcycle clubs have a blood brotherhood code and Son of Havoc must have committed some kind of wrongdoing, so Son of Madness is here to collect. SoM seems to be a little rusty at first, but eventually gets into the groove. SoH puts on his usual "how the fuck did he do that" aerial tactics and eventually rolls up SoM for the pin. SoM lays him out after the match however, and steals his bike jacket! Motorcyle gangsta drama! (by the way, "gangsta" is now a proper word and doesn't have red wavy underlining)

Dante "Flashback" Fox vs El Dragon "Don't call me Drago" Azteca

These guys never slow down. They're both cut and crazy agile. A long series of attack/counter attacks/misses/counter misses ensues, then Underground rear their ugly heads again and cause problems for EDA. Fox waits for them to wrap it up, then lays out EDA with his finisher. Is Fox a good guy or bad guy? Did his tortured past rid him of all empathy? Why didn't Killshot fuck with Dante and return the favor from last week? Somewhere, Dario is smiling, loving the hatred.

BAHWAHAHAHHHHHHH

BAAAANNNHHHH
Old 07-07-2017, 05:19 PM

This Monday, the WWE Network will feature the debut of Kurt Angle: Homecoming, featuring exclusive commentary from Vince McMahon and Dixie Carter. Holy crap.