Old 11-02-2014, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Bray talking about the feeling of power when you have a life in your hands. Geez, kids are a big part of this audience and it's not like there aren't any completely fucked up people watching it either. We've had years of "Don't try this at home", so let's now walk down the path of insinuating or implying even remotely that killing small animals and other people might be fun.
One of the most beloved faces of our generation actually murdered his parents in his backstory, and we turned out fine, didn't we?
Old 11-02-2014, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
I was kind of surprised to see Chavo Guerrero lose first off, but I liked the follow up scene of Cueto breathing down his neck and blaming him for the misfortunes that will ensue when he brings in some new menace he claims he will have no control over.
There's no shame in losing to Blue Demon Jr. - the dude is a legend in Mexico, and has held multiple world championships in Mexico as well as the NWA championship. And for a guy who's 48 years old, he can move like nobody's business - the only people that old who we've seen wrestle in WWE recently are Kane, Undertaker, Batista, and the New Age Outlaws, and I shudder to think what'd happen to one of them if they tried some of the spots he pulled in that match.

Last edited by Smapti; 11-02-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordTaurusSHO94 View Post
In one of Jericho's books, he says something about how he thought it was just endless nonsense, until he went down there to wrestle. Then he confirmed it.
Yeah, and there isn't a right or wrong when it comes to stage fighting. Mexicans like their brand of it, I grew up in Virginia so liked the more deliberative grind-out kind of wrestling the local territory here showed when I was a kid.

For me as long as the match shows some degree of athleticism, use moves that make sense (i.e. moves that don't defy all laws of common sense in how they work) and the two guys are able to sell and work together in a way that the match has a clear beginning/middle/end with reasonable progression I can usually enjoy it. The lucha libre stuff just violates almost all of those rules.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
There's no shame in losing to Blue Demon Jr. - the dude is a legend in Mexico, and has held multiple world championships in Mexico as well as the NWA championship. And for a guy who's 48 years old, he can move like nobody's business...
I don't know jack about Mexican wrestling history, and maybe I'll research it some day. I got the impression BD Jr had been in the business a few decades. While his longevity is admirable, it's still evident when his opponents oversell for him. I saw Jushin Thunder Liger (he's 50) for the first time in years in a tag match in RoH, and his opponents looked like they had to slow down considerably to make him look good.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Hyde View Post
For me as long as the match shows some degree of athleticism, use moves that make sense (i.e. moves that don't defy all laws of common sense in how they work) and the two guys are able to sell and work together in a way that the match has a clear beginning/middle/end with reasonable progression I can usually enjoy it. The lucha libre stuff just violates almost all of those rules.
Personally, I was first introduced to the lucha libre style in '95-'96, when WCW started cross-promoting with AAA and started heavily featuring guys like Rey Mysterio Jr., Eddie Guerrero, Psychosis, Ultimo Dragon, Juventud Guerrera, Konnan (who actually defended the AAA world title on WCW PPVs at the time) and so many others whose names I can't recall, and I loved it right away specifically because it was so different from either the New England power-moves style of WWF or the Southern rasslin' style of WCW. Here were these little guys doing flips and jumps and rolls and all kinds of crazy shit that you would never ever see out of a Hulk Hogan or a Lex Luger, and they did it flawlessly and with such perfect coordination.

All pro wrestling is basically equal parts storytelling and athletic exhibition, and while it would beggar belief if you did a match consisting entirely of flips and top-ring spots, I'd say that what I've seen of Lucha Underground so far says they've got a pretty good eye for balance. Like I said upthread, my biggest impression is that they're going out of their way to present themselves as everything that WWE isn't, so going forward I see them focusing on a pretty solid mix of high-flying acrobatics and technical grappling.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:40 PM

That's why I always liked HBK in the early and mid-90s. He could brawl the big WWF wrestlers, mat wrestle with Bret, do high flying stuff with Owen, and pretty much adapt to any style being used.

Tajiri and Super Crazy were also fun to watch on ECW in the 90s.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordTaurusSHO94 View Post
That's why I always liked HBK in the early and mid-90s. He could brawl the big WWF wrestlers, mat wrestle with Bret, do high flying stuff with Owen, and pretty much adapt to any style being used.
He's like a calm version of Randy Savage!
Old 11-03-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
There's no shame in losing to Blue Demon Jr. - the dude is a legend in Mexico, and has held multiple world championships in Mexico as well as the NWA championship. And for a guy who's 48 years old, he can move like nobody's business - the only people that old who we've seen wrestle in WWE recently are Kane, Undertaker, Batista, and the New Age Outlaws, and I shudder to think what'd happen to one of them if they tried some of the spots he pulled in that match.
Don't forget Goldust too, he's like a thousand and still takes really good bumps every time he performs.

I know we still have tonight to go through, but what is everyone's predictions for Thursday when Itami gets his "help"? Prince Devitt? Steen? Someone else?
Old 11-03-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Don't forget Goldust too, he's like a thousand and still takes really good bumps every time he performs.

I know we still have tonight to go through, but what is everyone's predictions for Thursday when Itami gets his "help"? Prince Devitt? Steen? Someone else?
Don't you mean "Gold"? I'm not sure who this Goldust you speak of is; maybe he is to Gold as Cody Rhodes is to Star Dust?

As to Thursday, that one's been pretty thoroughly spoiled, so I'll refrain from comment.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
He's like a calm version of Randy Savage!
Ha! Randy told Shawn to slow down or he'd never last.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Spoilers already say
SPOILER:
Prince Devitt
Old 11-03-2014, 09:47 AM

Oh well that's cool....I can finally see who this guy is and then see his ridiculously stupid-ass name
Old 11-03-2014, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
SPOILER:
It's Prince Devitt, now known as Finn Balor. The two of them have also already been announced to face the Ascension at Takeover 3: The Secret of the Ooze.

No word yet on when Steen will be making his debut. He apparently didn't appear in the latest TV taping which covers everything up until the next Takeover. WWE applied for a trademark on the name "Kevin Owens" last week though, so odds are good that's going to be his ring name - Owen is the name of his son, who he named after Owen Hart.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:30 PM

Smapti, are you a fan of TMNT and messing with us?
Old 11-03-2014, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Smapti, are you a fan of TMNT and messing with us?
Well, presumably there must be some secret to that bucket of ooze Enzo threw on Marcus Luis such that his hair and eyebrows still haven't grown back two months later.

Joking aside, though, I've read that the real name for the next special is "Takeover: Evolution".
Old 11-03-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Well, presumably there must be some secret to that bucket of ooze Enzo threw on Marcus Luis such that his hair and eyebrows still haven't grown back two months later.

Joking aside, though, I've read that the real name for the next special is "Takeover: Evolution".
Bullshit.

The titles we have come up with are so much better
Old 11-03-2014, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

I'm calling it now. The time is right . The gamble will be huge. But I am calling it now.

Cena turns at Survivor Series.

And we get a hell of a fun run up to Wrestlemania.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotop View Post
I'm calling it now. The time is right . The gamble will be huge. But I am calling it now.

Cena turns at Survivor Series.

And we get a hell of a fun run up to Wrestlemania.
To quote Dean Ambrose; "Nope."
Old 11-03-2014, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Come on. We've got new stars to replace Cena. No one believes it can happen. It has been teased so many times before. We have a history of Survivor Series screwjobs. This is such a perfect time to really shake things up. They did it with Austin, and while it did not work they took that gamble. There is no better time.

Last edited by Biotop; 11-03-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Come on. We've got new stars to replace Cena. No one believes it can happen. It has been teased so many times before. We have a history of Survivor Series screwjobs. This is such a perfect time to really shake things up. They did it with Austin, and while it did not work they took that gamble. There is no better time then now.
WWE's bottom line is in enough trouble right now without sabotaging their meal ticket. Cena's merch sells more than pretty much the entire rest of the roster combined specifically because he's a hero to children, and you're not going to get thirties-something smarks to replace those sales once the kids hate him and don't want to wear his face anymore.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

But look long term. John Cena's face time has passed. Where is the WWE going to be in five years? You need new stars. What HHH said tonight is correct. There is a glass ceiling. People want to cheer for Ziggler. They want to cheer for Ambrose. Hell, they want to cheer for Ryback. If Cena turns these people can step up. Roman Reigns cannot get where they want him to go with Cena in the way.

I think I am right. We will see.

Let me just say the WWE's bottom line will stay in trouble without a huge change. Now is the time.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But look long term. John Cena's face time has passed. Where is the WWE going to be in five years? You need new stars. What HHH said tonight is correct. There is a glass ceiling. People want to cheer for Ziggler. They want to cheer for Ambrose. Hell, they want to cheer for Ryback. If Cena turns these people can step up. Roman Reigns cannot get where they want him to go with Cena in the way.
Daniel Bryan got there with Cena "in the way". There's no reason that Cena needs to turn heel in order to build new stars, and there's no reason to sacrifice his merch sales when there's no one with the power to sell merch at anywhere near the level he does.

Cena sells tickets and network subscriptions because kids will drag their parents with them to see him. When Cena is advertised for a show and doesn't make it, they end up having to give out refunds (as tonight). He's their bread and butter and he won't ever turn heel unless that stops being the case.

Last edited by Smapti; 11-03-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
But look long term. John Cena's face time has passed. Where is the WWE going to be in five years?
WWE is a public corporation now. Public corporations live and die by quarterly results nowadays.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

Okay. Perhaps you are right. But then who turns at Survivor Series? I don't think they'll have the Authority lose. nor will they win cleanly. So someone has to turn from Team Cena.

While we don't know who is on the team yet, it is possible we could have some of the following:

1. Dolph Ziggler: A turn would garner some boos and give Cena an opponent for Wrestlemania. But Ziggler isn't going anywhere as a heel. Been there. Done that.

2. Big Show: Maybe. He turns more often than a windmill. But we've seen Cena/Show before and it ain't all that exciting to see it again.

3. Ryback: Not going to happen. They are just recovering (and better than expected) from his terrible heel run.

4. Randy Orton: Now maybe this whole Rollins rivalry is a set-up to con Cena. This is probably the most interesting scenario...but I think folks really want to cheer Randy. I hope turning Orton back to heel is not the plan. And I don't think it is. Tonight's beat-down pretty much confirms that.

5. Seamus: He needs to turn at some point... so if Cena doesn't turn at SS, well I suppose Seamus is the best choice.

But I think Cena's "meal ticket" status is over-rated. How many refunds did RAW really have to make tonight? I'll bet not many. If you are going to see RAW, even the kids will still want to see the show regardless of Cena's absence.

There is the annoying problem of Cena's match with Brock still to happen at some point. But can we at least agree that Cena's time as a face Champion is over? So if Cena/Brock has to happen yet again before the heel turn, so be it. But we don't need to see round three with those two. We really don't.

If you wait too long to turn Cena, then you lose a lot of the shock. You lose a lot of the anger/interest. Hogan turned. Austin turned. They all eventually turn. As for all the kiddie fans...?

Kids are tough. They adapt.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If you wait too long to turn Cena, then you lose a lot of the shock. You lose a lot of the anger/interest. Hogan turned. Austin turned. They all eventually turn. As for all the kiddie fans...?
Hogan turned after his merch stopped selling and kids stopped being interested in him. Pre-turn, WCW was giving out Hogan merch for free to the front rows.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:43 PM
Charter Member

In other news, Rusev has apparently won the US championship off Sheamus in the post-show dark match.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Cena's merch sells more than pretty much the entire rest of the roster combined specifically because he's a hero to children, and you're not going to get thirties-something smarks to replace those sales once the kids hate him and don't want to wear his face anymore.
Cena's merchandise also sells more because there is so much more Cena merchandise to buy. Create some good merchandise involving other superstars and maybe, just maybe, there'd be more non-Cena merchandise sales. Didn't someone on the roster supposedly just get in trouble for making the same suggestion?
Old 11-04-2014, 07:35 AM

/lana: Drazir, drazir. You poor desperate Americans. We have your belt now. Don't worry, my babushkas. We will put it to good use. VLAD uh meer POO tin will wear it as a jock strap. SHUH TUP!

Good RAW 11/3. All the rasslers seemed to step it up a notch. Was it because there was no Cena around to suck the life out the locker room?

Seth Rollins is now top heel. He has got to be getting major amounts of pussy now.

Wonder if the Orton vines was a factor in him turning face? He got off a couple dozen RKOs tonight. You just knew he was going to faceplant HHH. Their timing was impeccable. The buildup from the past few months finally reached its peak, but teaming him with Cena at Survivor Series would throw major amounts of suck on his heat. Here's an idea: what if Team Cena kicked John out? Just have Dolph, Orton, Ambrose, Ryback and Reigns (if he's recovered by then) team up and tell Cena they don't need him to get over. Go eat your Fruity Pebbles.

I didn't like the idea of the Wyatts breaking up, but creative has actually been making things interesting. I miss the honks and DEPP interruptions, but the multiple eyes vignettes are something new and out of the ordinary. It looks they're giving Rowan an identity, like he's a demented man child slowly finding beauty in the world without Bray's apocalyptic influence corrupting him. Bray's not as scary anymore, though. He needs a cult looming in his shadows. He needs certain individuals to... ascend. DEPP!
Old 11-04-2014, 07:58 AM

I also thought this was a pretty god RAW.

I like the "Authority needs to win or go bye-bye" angle. It brings a sense of urgency and (gasp) purpose to the PPV and it's kind of a fun thing to think about.

My 100% always wrong prediction: Randall goes to team Cena, turns on Cena (thus an Authority win) then RKOs Rollins so that the rivalry can continue to at least TLC.

How 'bout that Ryback huh?? Love The Big Guy and love the pops he's getting. Anyone know why he was gone or was it just a break? I love the idea of Ryback ending Rusev's streak. Everyone says Cena is going to, but I think he's too big for it.

Ok rant time:

You know what I realized yesterday? WWE doesn't market. Ever. At all.

I got to this point because I always say to my girlfriend "why do I need the wwe app? If anything happens over a commercial they always show it. Sheamus losing last night only on the network? They're gonna show it. It's so stupid. They kill their subscribers because of horrible marketing. Then I thought "well they never market the damn network anyway", then I realized "holy shit I never see marketing for it ever. No commercials, mag ads, banner ads, nothin!" It's amazing that this company is THIS big when it's literally all history and word of mouth. I mean, even the NFL markets and they're the biggest thing ever right now.

CHEP!
Old 11-04-2014, 02:12 PM

T-Cups: I think Vince has the announcers do all the plugging for the apps and whatnot because he thinks viewers ignore/fast-forward through the commercials. There's at least a captive audience with the announcers.

Just because ads could be plastered everywhere doesn't mean people like to see them. Viewers can change the channel to Monday Night Football too easily. Today, I intend to vote against the candidates who pissed me off the most with their constant splurging of ads. I'm sure I'm not alone. DEPP!

Last edited by Knowed Out; 11-04-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I did forget Goldust. He's 45 and has been putting on some of the best matches of his career since his comeback.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
How 'bout that Ryback huh?? Love The Big Guy and love the pops he's getting. Anyone know why he was gone or was it just a break? I love the idea of Ryback ending Rusev's streak. Everyone says Cena is going to, but I think he's too big for it.
Injury. I forget exactly what it was, and I don't think it was ever seriously acknowledged on camera, just on news websites and his tweets and such.

One of the odd times when an injury did someone good--he was going nowhere at the time he got hurt, absence made the heart grow fonder.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:47 PM

Randy's off making movies. Direct-to-DVDs anyway. So, no Orton at SurViVor Series. DEPP!
Old 11-05-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Randy's off making movies. Direct-to-DVDs anyway. So, no Orton at SurViVor Series. DEPP!
So this means no Randall at Survivor series hmm....

Where does that leave team Authority? Rollins, Korporate Kane...um...Bray? Maybe? Mark Henry? Do we think Trips is gonna go the "if you want something done right you gotta do it yourself" and join?
Old 11-05-2014, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So this means no Randall at Survivor series hmm....

Where does that leave team Authority? Rollins, Korporate Kane...um...Bray? Maybe? Mark Henry? Do we think Trips is gonna go the "if you want something done right you gotta do it yourself" and join?
They could always bring Noble and Mercury out of retirement for one night. If they were in good enough shape to climb the Hell in a Cell and take bumps from Ambrose, they're probably fit to work a couple minutes each and get eliminated early.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:37 PM

So my girlfriend was just reading an article to me (which means I don't have a link for ya'll) which is saying the latest rumor mill seed is Steph and HHH are preggers, and that's the reason for this authority might go away storyline

<futurama voice over> INTERESTING. IF. TRUE.</futurama voice over>
Old 11-06-2014, 07:39 AM

Lucha Underground continues to impress. Instead of focusing on the stars in their intro, they focus on the environment. They show scenes of LA at night, with the busy traffic and streams of headlights, getting closer to the location of the LU warehouse, amidst the graffiti and urban blight. Makes the viewer feel like they're about to witness something illegal.

The opening match ended with Mundo and Puma doing a beautiful double 450 splash on B-Boy and Castro. Interestingly enough, Big Ryck (formerly Ezekiel Jackson of WWE) didn't interfere. He sat on the arena steps, lit a cigar, and simply watched, like the underground boss who expects his goons to fight their own battles. Of course, Matt Striker, ever the goody-two-shoes, advised younger viewers not to take up cigar smoking.

LU seems to know how to book women vs men. The women wear thick boots so it looks like their kicks really can do damage, and the men aren't that much bigger anyway.

All the sudden, Chavo becomes top heel when he turns on everybody, even his tag partner Sexy Star. That was cold, the way he blew her a kiss after bashing her head in with the chair, holmes. After slogging through as comic relief in WCW and WWE, he's found his home in Lucha Underground. Odalay!
Old 11-06-2014, 09:26 AM

I keep forgetting about Lucha Underground...when is it on again? and on what channel?
Old 11-06-2014, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I keep forgetting about Lucha Underground...when is it on again? and on what channel?
8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific Wednesdays on the El Rey Network. (If you have Comcast or DirecTV, you have El Rey - I'm not sure about other providers, but their website has a full listing.)
Old 11-06-2014, 12:32 PM

Hey, apparently Sami Zayn sorta made his main roster debut on Main Event last night! Apparently had a decent match with Tyson Kidd, because of course he'd have a decent match w/ Tyson Kidd. On the other hand, as Nathan Birch pointed out over at Uproxx, this is the face of a man who has realized that the thing he's been busting his ass for for years maybe isn't such a great thing after all.

Also, nice to see that they've been listening to good ol' JR and have a solid six-month plan booked for how to introduce him and make him look strong on the main roster... oh, wait, what's that? Oh. Yeah, never mind. Sorry, Sami; look forward to your new career jobbing on Superstars. (Yes, this is why I'm currently taking a main roster break.)

Anyway, I hope it doesn't mess up his NXT storyline; that's been a long, long, long slow burn and I really wanted to see him finally get the title and have a nice little run with it before he got demoted to the main roster. It'd be a shame not to have a happy ending to that story.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

His first singles match on the B-show might be a wee bit immature to declare his career over.

Also, this was his second main roster match - he teamed up with Neville to beat Tyson and Tyler Breeze on Raw back a few days before Takeover 2 - Electric Boogaloo.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:31 PM

Even if Sami winds up being a JTTS (Jobber to the Stars), he'll be making tons more money than in NXT. Those who start from the ground up make about $25K/year, while those recruited from the indies (like Steen) make $45K and up.

At least he's not going to wind up like Fandango, who was pure gimmick. Once his schtick got tiresome, he just faded away...
Old 11-06-2014, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Lucha Underground continues to impress. Instead of focusing on the stars in their intro, they focus on the environment. They show scenes of LA at night, with the busy traffic and streams of headlights, getting closer to the location of the LU warehouse, amidst the graffiti and urban blight. Makes the viewer feel like they're about to witness something illegal.
The Temple is located in Boyle Heights, a barrio on the east side of LA with a 94% Latino population (from what I can tell, the actual location is only divulged to ticketholders) and it looks the part. It definitely feels gritty and underground, as opposed to the bright and clean WWE image. I liked the fact that Dario Cueto's office is just a plywood hut next to the ring area - besides fitting the motif, it puts him right there near the action instead of in some vaguely defined place backstage.

Quote:
LU seems to know how to book women vs men. The women wear thick boots so it looks like their kicks really can do damage, and the men aren't that much bigger anyway.

All the sudden, Chavo becomes top heel when he turns on everybody, even his tag partner Sexy Star. That was cold, the way he blew her a kiss after bashing her head in with the chair, holmes. After slogging through as comic relief in WCW and WWE, he's found his home in Lucha Underground. Odalay!
They clearly have a lot of confidence in their women wrestlers that they let them work with the men and even take chair shots. I did notice that after the chair shot, Sexy Star had her hands covering her face - I think she got busted open and didn't want to be seen bleeding on camera. Vampiro explicitly calling out "other promotions" that don't allow intergender matches was a nice touch.

Chavo's heel turn was well executed and had a good storyline built up - he blew it in the first match and wants to get back in Dario's good graces, so he goes after Dario's enemy to prove he's just as good as the man Dario brought in to deal with them. I'm not sure how I feel about Mil Muertes - they seem to be going for an Undertaker/Bray Wyatt type supernatural heel, but he's kinda doughy and didn't have much of a moveset compared to the lighter guys. Wikipedia informs me that he's a former AAA world champion and that he's worked in TNA as Judas Mesias, but I've never seen him before and I'll need to see where they go with him before making a judgment.

One thing I noticed that stuck out - during Konnan's promo, he mentioned that Prince Puma was introduced to him by "an old friend of mine you might know". That seems to be their code for saying that they're talking about an ex-WWE performer whose name they can't use due to trademarks, so I wonder who Konnan's anonymous friend might be and if he might show up at some point soon. Alberto Del Rio, perhaps? Ultimo Dragon? The original Sin Cara? Someone else?
Old 11-06-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Even if Sami winds up being a JTTS (Jobber to the Stars), he'll be making tons more money than in NXT. Those who start from the ground up make about $25K/year, while those recruited from the indies (like Steen) make $45K and up.

At least he's not going to wind up like Fandango, who was pure gimmick. Once his schtick got tiresome, he just faded away...
Yeah, this is my dilemma with NXT guys. I'm invested in these guys; I get to watch them develop from green to confident, capable professional wrestlers. I want them to do well, and I know that financially, if nothing else, the main roster is far more lucrative. But when you compare the quality of storylines/character development, it's hard not to feel that a move to the main roster would be far less satisfying professionally. It's even worse with the women--I cannot see someone like Charlotte being in any hurry at all to get to the main roster, other than for the cash.

Anyway, I'm aware of the earlier tag team match promoting Takeover II, but I didn't really count it as a main roster debut, as it was clearly just a promotional match for NXT. I'm honestly not sure if this was really a "debut" either--the roster's thin due to the European tour, and they brought him out w/ an NXT logo on the screen. I'm not sure if Main Event plays on regular TV in the UK, but if so, it could be another bit of marketing for the Network. Even if not, I'm thinking this was more just a necessity to fill time on the show rather than a proper debut.

But like I said, this is why I'm generally taking a break from the main roster product other than the PPVs right now. I've gotten really cynical from the last few months' worth of shit programming. In the meanwhile, I'll get my fix with RoH and NXT, and check out the Lucha Underground thing if I can remember to put it on the DVR.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:22 PM

Now THAT was an episode of NXT. If it weren't for that debut, I'd say the ladies stole the show--but there wasn't a dull moment tonight, other than perhaps the Kidd match, which was heavy on the rest holds--but did have a killer fisherman's neckbreaker.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:19 AM

Ahem.

Dear WWE A-holes,

It is really really really.....really bad what you're doing to Bayley. She is a sweet hawt girl who wrestles really really really....really good. By having her constantly lose to the likes of Charlotte (OK), Becky Lynch (who?) and Sasha Banks (no!) you are ruining her person and make her cry.

If you do not make her better I will be forced to take legal action and sue you for Eleventy Billion Pesos for damage to a sweet young girls personality.

Love,

Teacups
Old 11-07-2014, 07:45 AM

Smapti: If Alberto Del Rio shows up on LU, that would rock. I didn't like him in WWE, but I think he'd fit in perfectly with LU. I agree Mil Muertas was kind of "eh," but he's got a hot valet. Maybe they'll do something heinous like throw him in a dog pit if he fails to impress.

LawMonkey: Definitely check out LU. Their young guys are top notch, their veterans bring historical and cultural gravitas, and their storylines don't insult your intelligence as much as WWE's.

T-Cups: Here's a hanky. Seriously, they're handling Bayley exactly right. Everybody loves her now, and she's completely over, so losing doesn't draw any heat off her. Sasha's a perfect adversary, and when Bayley beats her at NXT: Secret of the Ooze, there will be much rejoicing.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
T-Cups: Here's a hanky. Seriously, they're handling Bayley exactly right. Everybody loves her now, and she's completely over, so losing doesn't draw any heat off her. Sasha's a perfect adversary, and when Bayley beats her at NXT: Secret of the Ooze, there will be much rejoicing.
Oh I know.

It probably didn't translate, but my snarky parody letter was the exact response that they want. There's nothing worse (better?) than a sympathetic character losing by the bad guys, and it makes people pine for the victory.

I know she'll get her revenge at Takeover 3: Take Two: The Third, and I will rejoice.

I also desperately want her to get called up to The Show and end up as the first female Wyatt and have her do a heel turn and wear all black and....I'll...uh...be in my bunk for a quick second
Old 11-07-2014, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

WWE made some pretty big announcements about their weekly schedule last night.

First is that Smackdown is moving to Thursdays in January, which will put it opposite Impact. Seems like adding insult to injury at this point since TNA is circling the drain anyway, but IMO it makes sense to air it closer to when it's taped on Tuesdays; as it is, the delay makes watching it almost pointless since you can get detailed spoilers on line long before then, and consequently it almost feels like WWE goes out of their way to not have anything happen on Smackdown that matters.

Secondly, since Smackdown is taking its time slot, NXT will be moving to Wednesdays, which puts it opposite Lucha Underground. This is the more significant move IMO; it seems to indicate that WWE takes LU seriously as competition instead of just a niche market. (Of course, between DVRs and the Network, the dedicated fan can easily watch both.)
Old 11-07-2014, 06:12 PM

Impact actually moved to Wednesdays a couple months ago. This obviously made a huge impression on you...

And even that is kind of up in the air right now. They only have taped episodes for, I think, 2 more weeks. Spike is supposedly going to be airing "Best Of" episodes through December, which is when their current deal runs out, and there has been no newer deal announced.