Old 07-19-2019, 07:11 PM

Watching bits and pieces of Evolve 131 on the WWE Network.

Jeez, god, there are things that may be showy, but immediately, utterly destroy my suspension of disbelieve and my interest in a match. Like watching the tag team match and the one guy is holding the big white guy's hand while jumping back and forth on the ropes. WTF? Why would anyone stand there watching that happen without doing anything? The big dude could have just yanked the guy's hand and thrown him across the ring. The whole bit was stupid with terrible ring psychology.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Watching bits and pieces of Evolve 131 on the WWE Network.

Jeez, god, there are things that may be showy, but immediately, utterly destroy my suspension of disbelieve and my interest in a match. Like watching the tag team match and the one guy is holding the big white guy's hand while jumping back and forth on the ropes. WTF? Why would anyone stand there watching that happen without doing anything? The big dude could have just yanked the guy's hand and thrown him across the ring. The whole bit was stupid with terrible ring psychology.
You must really hate The Undertaker's "Old School" move, then.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:49 PM

I hate any move that requires someone to stand there like a moron for five or more seconds before they take the move.

But that one was worse, because the guy in the ring wasn't selling anything but standing there like a dope watching the guy jump around the ropes.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:15 PM

Wait, did the ring announcer on WWE NXT screw up and announce Jazzy Gabert as Jazzy Gallus?
Old 07-20-2019, 08:24 PM

So tell me something has anything been signed between AEW and time warner about them being on TNT?

I see millions of post saying "be glad when aew finally has shows on TNT " on anything discussing raw and SD but other than the initial announcement of TNT was interested i haven't seen anything at all about it
Old 07-20-2019, 09:41 PM

Whoops, I meant NXT UK.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
So tell me something has anything been signed between AEW and time warner about them being on TNT?

I see millions of post saying "be glad when aew finally has shows on TNT " on anything discussing raw and SD but other than the initial announcement of TNT was interested i haven't seen anything at all about it
Unofficially, October 2nd.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:40 PM

It would have been funny as hell if, after R-Truth drove off with Drake Maverick's wife and Carmella was standing there, if he had asked her if she wanted to consummate his marriage.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:35 AM

Drake Maverick and R-Truth don't mind making fools of themselves. When Drake was Rockstar Spud in Impact, he even put over a one-year old. He let King Maxwell pin him in one of the Broken Matt episodes. Drake likes to make people laugh.

I liked the reunion show. Each veteran tied in with current storylines, like the 24/7 title getting traded around 8 times. Bray Wyatt appeared during Mick Foley's promo and took him out with the Mandible Claw under the scary music and beam lights. Maria Kannelis eviscerated Mike's balls in front of everybody backstage, and Ron Simmons got to say his signature "Damn!" in response. Steve Austin closed out the show as only he can, and showed why he's one of the greatest talkers in the business.

The best part was, no McMahons.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:47 PM

I wonder if the Kanellises have some kind of cuckold fantasy going in their real lives, since apparently, it's been a big part of their gimmicks for a while.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:39 PM

Raw Reunion really felt like an "empty calories" type of show--decent enough for the moment, but utterly forgettable after a couple of days. Which would be fine in December, when nothing much else is going on anyway, but a couple weeks before Summerslam--which is supposed to be the second-biggest event after Wrestlemania (well, maybe third now after the way they try to promote the Saudi shows), we should be advancing those setups. I think all we got was a meh Seth promo (yes, I'm very sure that Brock Lesnar, who gets paid millions of dollars to show up 10 times a year, wants to be Seth Rollins...), and I guess an attempt to make us care about Becky vs Natalia.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Drake likes to make people laugh.
How else is he going to get on TV in WWE?

I mean, as anything other than the D-Show authority figure.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The best part was, no McMahons.
Seconded. Yet SmackDown opens with him.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
Seconded. Yet SmackDown opens with him.
Yup, and I turned it off after less than one minute and decided I'd rather do something else.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:15 PM

I have my own way of coping with Shane's presence. I mock him trying to sound all urban and hip and not selling it at all. Remember Mean Street Posse?

Dirt sheets say he's gone after Summerslam, so I'll tough my way through it.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have my own way of coping with Shane's presence. I mock him trying to sound all urban and hip and not selling it at all. Remember Mean Street Posse?

Dirt sheets say he's gone after Summerslam, so I'll tough my way through it.
Newest rumors are that may not be the case. Vince's answer to issues is always more McMahon, and he may get (force?) Shane to continue. I sure hope those rumors are wrong and that KO gets rid of him.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:13 AM

I doubt they'll keep Shane in the spotlight if they intend on making Bischoff the Smackdown authority figure, but you never know what will get up Vince's ass at a moment's notice. I thought XFL was supposed to demand more of his attention.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I doubt they'll keep Shane in the spotlight if they intend on making Bischoff the Smackdown authority figure, but you never know what will get up Vince's ass at a moment's notice. I thought XFL was supposed to demand more of his attention.
Supposedly Bischoff's role isn't an on-screen one
Old 07-24-2019, 10:37 AM

Speaking of Smackdown, a wrench has been thrown into the Fox network monkey works: The Orville, which had already been announced for a midseason return, has been pulled from the schedule. (New episodes will air on Hulu. Apparently, one of the problems was, Seth MacFarlane couldn't promise that enough new episodes would be ready in time for Fox's liking.)

Vince: "You'll take WWE Smackdown Live Coast-To-Coast Starring Shane-O-Mac and like it! (Okay, you can air it on a three-hour delay out west, but you get what I mean by Coast to Coast.)"
Fox: "We can always move it to FXX or FS2 in January...but what do we have now that can take its place?"
Old 07-24-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Speaking of Smackdown, a wrench has been thrown into the Fox network monkey works: The Orville, which had already been announced for a midseason return, has been pulled from the schedule. (New episodes will air on Hulu. Apparently, one of the problems was, Seth MacFarlane couldn't promise that enough new episodes would be ready in time for Fox's liking.)

Vince: "You'll take WWE Smackdown Live Coast-To-Coast Starring Shane-O-Mac and like it! (Okay, you can air it on a three-hour delay out west, but you get what I mean by Coast to Coast.)"
Fox: "We can always move it to FXX or FS2 in January...but what do we have now that can take its place?"
Your post confuses me. Are you saying they'll pull Smackdown from it's time slot like they did Orville? or Orville will replace it?
Old 07-24-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Your post confuses me. Are you saying they'll pull Smackdown from it's time slot like they did Orville? or Orville will replace it?
I'm saying that the option of moving Smackdown if Fox doesn't like what Vince is doing to the product (Fox probably feels it's bad enough that Ronda Rousey almost certainly won't be involved) is now less likely.

And Fox wanted The Orville back on in January (it said so when it announced the new schedule in May), but when it found out that episodes wouldn't be ready in time, it let the show go to Hulu.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:01 PM

Ah....I got you now
Old 07-24-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Supposedly Bischoff's role isn't an on-screen one
He's basically going to be their liaison with Fox. So both sides can yell at him and he can translate the bullshit from MegaCorp to Vince and vice-versa.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Jimmy Uso took John Cena's needling Monday night to heart, as he has been arrested on drunk driving charges. Guess The Revival get to keep the titles longer, at least until someone can rebuild the Viking Raiders.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:16 PM

Anybody else have a chance to check out the "new look" WWE Network yet?

My only gripe so far: the 1980s Crockett WTBS shows are under "WCW", but the syndicated Mid-Atlantic shows are under "Territories."
Old 07-26-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Jimmy Uso took John Cena's needling Monday night to heart, as he has been arrested on drunk driving charges. Guess The Revival get to keep the titles longer, at least until someone can rebuild the Viking Raiders.
Instead of this stupid "It's their personal responsibility" bullshit, WWE needs to suspend both of them and send them to rehab.

Before the next headline is "WWE Star kills family of four".
Old 07-26-2019, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Instead of this stupid "It's their personal responsibility" bullshit, WWE needs to suspend both of them and send them to rehab.

Before the next headline is "WWE Star kills family of four".
Why both of them? None of the stories I've read indicate Jay was present. Still, without Jimmy around, Jay may as well be suspended, as he certainly won't be getting a singles push. Hell, he'd be jobbed out to No Way Jose.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Anybody else have a chance to check out the "new look" WWE Network yet?

My only gripe so far: the 1980s Crockett WTBS shows are under "WCW", but the syndicated Mid-Atlantic shows are under "Territories."
It took me an annoyingly long time to find the WCW pay-per-views, but I'll get the hang of it. I *was* able to find Goldberg vs. Nash at Starrcade '98 fairly quickly.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Why both of them? None of the stories I've read indicate Jay was present. Still, without Jimmy around, Jay may as well be suspended, as he certainly won't be getting a singles push. Hell, he'd be jobbed out to No Way Jose.
On the bright side, No Way Jose would be on TV again.
Old 07-28-2019, 02:26 AM
Charter Member

My autographed copy of Behind the Curtain, Jim Cornette's graphic novel (which he funded on Kickstarter last year) finally arrived in the mail today!

It looks very nice and I'm looking forward to sitting down and reading it.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:29 PM

I'm trying to locate the Extreme Rules 2019 kick-off show so that I can watch Balor vs. Nakamura for the I-C Title, but I don't see it with the new system. Help, please?
Old 07-29-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
I'm trying to locate the Extreme Rules 2019 kick-off show so that I can watch Balor vs. Nakamura for the I-C Title, but I don't see it with the new system. Help, please?
Where were the kickoff shows located under the old system?
Old 07-29-2019, 03:29 PM

Yeah I remember them coming on from time to time when I would forget to turn off whatever show I was watching and/or I wasn't paying enough attention
Old 07-29-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Where were the kickoff shows located under the old system?
To the right (in the past) of the main show.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
To the right (in the past) of the main show.
This is going to sound silly, but it's possible that it's not available on the network because it is available "officially" (i.e. WWE put it there) on YouTube.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:05 PM

I found it, thanks to an article I read about the new style of the WWE Network.

I went to the main show, and below the section where you can skip to certain matches, is a separate section where you can just watch the pre-show. Unfortunately you then have to do your own scanning to get to the match, but I didn't find that too terrible a hardship.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

We've lost another legend. WWE Hall of Famer and 8x NWA World Heavyweight Champion "King" Harley Race has passed. His career was winding down by the time I started getting into NWA/WCW wrestling and was all but wound down when he started wrestling in for Vince in the late 80s. He was 76 years old, and the early word is that it was due to complications from lung cancer.

Goodbye Harley.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
We've lost another legend. WWE Hall of Famer and 8x NWA World Heavyweight Champion "King" Harley Race has passed. His career was winding down by the time I started getting into NWA/WCW wrestling and was all but wound down when he started wrestling in for Vince in the late 80s. He was 76 years old, and the early word is that it was due to complications from lung cancer.

Goodbye Harley.
I started a separate thread here.
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=879775
Old 08-02-2019, 08:35 AM

I remember after Owen Hart died, Dustin Rhodes told a story of when Race hosted a big shindig featuring his famous chili. Owen, ever the prankster, emptied jars of hot sauce into it while nobody was looking, and everybody who took a bite breathed fire. Race was so furious, he took out a stun gun and threatened to shoot Owen with it. Owen was cowering in a corner and pleading for his life while Race kept waving the stun gun in his face.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:48 PM

Well, WWE Network new system annoyance #2:

I can't renew my subscription with a gift card until after my subscription has expired. I bought a gift card today and have to wait eight days before I can use the damn thing.

Last edited by ekedolphin; 08-02-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:36 AM

Does Moldberg have somebody hostage? He stunk up his match with UT, and now they're letting him get his heat back with perennial Jobber to the Stars, Dolph Ziggler. With Miz and Michaels cheering him on.

The only bright spot I can make out of this is that the match leaves open the possibility that Shawn turns on Moldberg, setting up a battle of the relics next PPV. Otherwise, this reeks of a desperate ratings grab. AEW better beware. snark snark snark
Old 08-06-2019, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Does Moldberg have somebody hostage? He stunk up his match with UT, and now they're letting him get his heat back with perennial Jobber to the Stars, Dolph Ziggler. With Miz and Michaels cheering him on.
Vince will always fall back on nostalgia acts if they're physically capable of working and willing to take a check. If he could dig up Bruno Sammartino's corpse and reanimate him Herbert West style, Bruno would've had a Universal Championship run by now.

Last edited by Smapti; 08-06-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Vince will always fall back on nostalgia acts if they're physically capable of working and willing to take a check. If he could dig up Bruno Sammartino's corpse and reanimate him Herbert West style, Bruno would've had a Universal Championship run by now.
Also, I would think Goldberg's motivation (in addition to $$) is, like Undertaker, to not have that Saudi debacle be his last match. Ziggler can make him look good even in a squash, and if he brings whatever working shoes he has (and it was never much), Ziggler can make him look great.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Adam Cole (real name Austin Jenkins) first wrestled as Adam Cole in 2008 in CZW, which I don't think has any relation to WWE, as far as I can tell.

Recently, WWE has tried to trademark Adam Cole. In their first rejection, WWE had to clarify whether Adam Cole identified a particular living individual. WWE said no.

The USPTO rejected again, telling WWE nuh-huh, it's Austin Jenkins. We can use Wikipedia, yaknow, and that Austin Jenkins would need to provide written authorization for WWE to trademark the name.

This was the WWE response, with my emphasis. Note that the Applicant refers to WWE:
Quote:
"The Examining Attorney stated that the “name” shown in the mark identifies the stage name or professional name of a particular living individual, and has therefore, required Applicant to submit a written consent from such individual that authorizes the Applicant to register the name. Applicant wishes to advise the Examining Attorney that the “name” in the mark does not identify a stage name or professional nickname. Rather, it is a fictional character name, a “role”, created and owned entirely by Applicant. Mr. Austin Jenkins that is referred to in the Examiner’s Office Action did not use this fictional character name prior to working with Applicant and he cannot use this name if he were to cease working with Applicant. Moreover, Applicant is free to “assign” this fictional character name to any individual it chooses, at any time. Requiring consent by Mr. Austin Jenkins is akin to requiring Christopher Reeve’s consent for the registration of the character name “Superman”, Sean Connery’s consent for the registration of the character name “James Bond” or Val Kilmer’s consent for the registration of the character name “Batman” – these individuals are merely actors playing a role. The owner of these registrations can, and have, assigned different actors to play the same role. Such is the case with the mark in the subject application. Applicant can assign this name to any individual it chooses, at any time. Accordingly, no consent should be required for the subject application."
WTF WWE?

Source: https://www. pwinsider. com/ViewArticle.php?id=128629 (Note I broke the link because that site is lousy with invasive ads. My adblocker stops them, but if you don't use one, you might want to, at the very least, go private before visiting.)

Last edited by D_Odds; 08-08-2019 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:09 AM

I'd guess Samoa Joe is in the same boat. He had been using the name for years prior to WWE, but I wonder if they now "own" the name Samoa Joe? If he leaves WWE, can he not go by Samoa Joe any more? I'm pretty sure Joe had enough business savvy to make sure he kept his name, but it looks like Adam Cole won't be able to. It's also telling that they could potentially replace him with somebody else and keep the name, and that would be a REALLY STUPID THING TO DO, like they did with Diesel and Razor Ramon back in the day. That blew up in their faces, but they're still using it as a justification.

When I went to an Evolve show he headlined, I paid $20 to get a pic of him with me, and told him "I hope you never get called up. You guys run NXT." I wanted to add "Vince will bury you," but I decided to keep things positive. Now it looks like he's getting swallowed up in trademark issue hell. I hope he makes enough money from it not to care.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I'd guess Samoa Joe is in the same boat. He had been using the name for years prior to WWE, but I wonder if they now "own" the name Samoa Joe? If he leaves WWE, can he not go by Samoa Joe any more? I'm pretty sure Joe had enough business savvy to make sure he kept his name, but it looks like Adam Cole won't be able to. It's also telling that they could potentially replace him with somebody else and keep the name, and that would be a REALLY STUPID THING TO DO, like they did with Diesel and Razor Ramon back in the day. That blew up in their faces, but they're still using it as a justification.
Okay, I'll ask: how did WWE get away with trademarking the name Bubba Ray Dudley if he went by that name in ECW long before joining WWE? Note that, apparently, he still can't use it outside of WWE; when he co-hosts Busted Open, he is always referred to as "Bully Ray" (one of his Impact names).

It's not about being able to reassign the names (although didn't WWE do this with Doink the Clown?); it's about controlling the character, and the merchandising that goes with it.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

It's possible that Cole's application went to the desk of a wrestling fan rather than the normal rubber stamp process that is the USPTO. I guess if one gets signed by WWE and starts using one's own stage name, one should TM it before WWE can, though then they'll probably give you a new, stupid name that WWE can own. I was more taken aback by the blatant lie in the response. It's possible it is just an outside trademark lawyer who doesn't really follow the history, but in that case, she didn't do her research.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Welp, Summerslam is tomorrow. I've skipped the last few PPVs because the booking has been so sloppy lately that they didn't appeal to me, and honestly this show isn't much better, but I guess I'll be watching it out of habit.

Here's my somewhat cynical predictions for the card:

* Brock Lesnar vs. Seth Rollins for the Brock Lesnar Championship (which is what it should be called at this point since Vince refuses to give anyone else a decent run with it). Seth should win, but I won't be surprised if he loses due to interference by, I dunno, Jinder Mahal or someone.

* Kofi Kingston vs. Randy Orton for the WWE Championship. Kofi should win this one, because another Orton title run serves no purpose at this point.

* Becky Lynch vs. Natalya, submission match for the Raw women's championship. A Hart is having a title match in Canada, so this match is pretty much doomed to end with Becky putting Natalya in a sharpshooter and the bell ringing instantly for yet another reenactment of the Montreal Screwjob.

* Bayley vs. Ember Moon for the Smackdown women's championship. Could go either way. I'm hoping Bayley retains, but Ember winning clean would also be satisfying.

* AJ Styles vs. Ricochet for the US title. Ricochet should win, but at this point I don't have any faith in Vince's ability to properly book Prince Puma, so AJ retains.

* Drew Gulak vs. Oney Lorcan for the cruiserweight title. Gulak retains, I guess?

* Shane McMahon vs. Kevin Owens, Owens' career is on the line. Owens loses so he can be "fired", show up on TV week after week despite not being under contract any more, and somehow get his job back after beating Drew McIntyre at the next PPV.

* Trish Stratus vs. Charlotte. Trish wins because Vince will always put over nostalgia acts at the expense of the people who have to come back next week and try to draw a crowd.

* Dolph Ziggler vs. Bill Goldberg. Goldberg wins because Vince will always put over nostalgia acts at the expense of the people who have to come back next week and try to draw a crowd.

* Bray Wyatt vs. Finn Balor. If history is any indication, then Bray will win this match, lose the rematch at the next PPV, lose the rematch at the PPV after that, then on the following Raw he'll pick a fight FOR NO RAISIN with, let's say, the Miz.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:38 AM

I can't really get into this card. I do want to see AJ vs Rico, Drulak vs Orkin, and Bray vs Finn, just to see the new Bray in action.

Natalya is an obvious pander to the Canadian audience, and she'll be tucked back into the dugout when this is over, so I hope they give Vince one of their famous contrarian reactions. Same with Trish. She was wooden in her promo and worked zero percent of her tag match. It's pretty much going to be Charlotte working with a broomstick. Zig is an obvious heat resurgence for Moldberg. He'll get to beat a midcarder on SD next week before getting jerked into putting over another random up-and-comer.

They'll probably have KO shave his head so he can be closer to SCSA reincarnated.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:17 AM

Takeover Toronto was NXT's usual level of fucking awesomeness. SP vs UE opened the show, and it was a perfect match to get the crowd excited. Montez Ford used some of the Rock's moves like the People's Elbow and the Urinagi. I think he's going to be a main eventer someday. Dawkins is Ford's Big E sidekick. Fish and O'Reilly were their usual conniving bad guy selves.

Candace LaRae and Io Shirai was actually a good ol' slobberknocker of a match. Both women were brutal, and LaRae used her husband's playbook as far as taking bumps and looking on the verge of death.

The Triple Threat between VD, Dunne and Strong was a lot of fun. It was a balance of Dunne's sadistic rage, Strong's technical mastery, and Dream's mischief.

Baizsler vs Yim went a different pace than the other matches. While Yim wanted to brawl, Baizsler kept controlling her with locks and holds until Yim would rake her eyes or pull her hair. It also looked they might have missed a few cues here and there. It was kind of an oil & water situation. It did have an interesting result in that Baizsler's arm was too hurt to use her usual submission finisher, so she trapped Yim's head in a triangle leg lock instead and made her tap out.

Guests in the audience included Ricochet, Austin Theory, and Walter. Looks like Theory is about to transition to NXT.

Gargano and Cole demonstrated they are the grandmasters of streaming wrestling. They were at each other's throats and many other body parts for at least an hour. There were no run-ins, no distractions, and no rest holds. Gargano DQ'ed himself in the first match so he could beat up Cole with plundah, and that ultimately led to his undoing. At the end of the 2nd match, both men laid in the ring after a big spot, allowing the techs to run in and secure the cage as it lowered. I didn't see the preshow, and don't know if they covered the cage there, but it made for a nice reveal, being lowered from the upper stratosphere, showing the weapons attached to the sides, and the "oh shit" expressions of the two combatants as they realized things were about to get really harmful.

Did the show cut off for anybody else after Cole got the win? I tried to get back to the broadcast, but it wasn't available. Weird.

Last edited by Knowed Out; 08-11-2019 at 10:18 AM.