Old 09-08-2015, 04:29 PM

The only way I can see Sting winning is if Shaemus is going to come cash in and take it from him. Then the next night, Cena takes it from Shaemus or something stupid., and then we have a Cena-Sting Mutual respect feud as Cena offers a shot to Sting because of how he lost it.

And they better not do anything like that. We don't need "Sting was WWE Champ for 8 seconds!", or it ending back on Cena in such a clusterfuck.

Last edited by Chimera; 09-08-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

In other news, it's been announced that Kana, the female Japanese wrestler who was shown in the crowd at Takeover Brooklyn, has officially signed with WWE.

She's been one of the top female wrestlers in Japan for much of the last decade, and in the US she's worked both in Chikara and in Shimmer, and is said to be known for working a strong style based on MMA throws and holds. It'll probably be a few months or so before she makes her TV debut in NXT, but the buzz is very positive at this time.

Let's hope that by the time she makes it to the main roster, the people responsible for booking womens' wrestling are no longer in the mindset that all women are one-dimensional alpha bitches who hate each other over petty nonsense and that the one with the biggest tits is the one who should be over.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:10 PM

Did y'all catch Xavier Woods playing the Final Fantasy Victory Fanfare on his trombone in that E&C/Dudleyz/New Day segment on RAW? HILARIOUS.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:13 PM

Q: What is Summer Rae's most common sleeping position?
A: Around

Too bad Lana got a wrist booboo. I was curious to see how low they'd go with the Zig-Rusev-Lana-Summer Rae obnoxiousness. Is it wrong of me to want to see creepy and uncomfortable domestic violence?

Here is *my* storyline prediction. I don't think Sting will turn to the Dark Side. I'm thinking Sheamus will wind up being the stooge. He'll bring out the suitcase after Seth pedigrees Sting, then Brogue Kick Seth out of the ring, then attempt to pin Sting. Sting will then reverse it and pin Sheamus and win the belt. Seth would then have a legitimate reason to get a rematch and win the belt back the next PPV. Sting will have won the WWE title and now has that cred to add to his career accomplishments. HE'S A WORLD CHAMPION IN THREE FEDERATIONS (if you include TNA) MAGGLE!

So, looks like RKOrton will team with Ambrose and Reigns vs the Wascawwy Wyatts. Maybe they'll milk how he got beat up so badly, A & R can't get a partner because they're too skeered.
Still leaves the possibility of an NXT callup (Baron, SJ, whomever) or RKOrtion makes a triumphant return.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:33 AM

Right now I don't want to see any more callups from NXT until they clear out some of the chaff on the main roster and get some better booking.

I absolutely DO NOT want to see them calling up people like Baron Corbin before he gets another six months or so of experience. Hell, for that matter I don't want to see them call up Bayley given the SHIT 'factions' booking they're forcing on the women.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Let's hope that by the time she makes it to the main roster, the people responsible for booking womens' wrestling are no longer in the mindset that all women are one-dimensional alpha bitches who hate each other over petty nonsense and that the one with the biggest tits is the one who should be over.
As long as Vince and Kevin Dunn continue to have oversight of the main roster, it doesn't matter who the MR Divas' road agent is. I do hope that Kana kicks Eva Marie's head into the fifth row at Full Sail, though.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
Did y'all catch Xavier Woods playing the Final Fantasy Victory Fanfare on his trombone in that E&C/Dudleyz/New Day segment on RAW? HILARIOUS.
That trombone is the greatest thing to happen to wrestling since wrestling happened, and I say that as a fairly hardcore workrate mark.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:12 PM

Until about two weeks from now when y'all are tired of it.

But it was great as a one-off.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

In other news, another NXT Diva has been caught dropping the N-bomb on Twitter.

WWE really needs to start screening their talents' social media history before hiring them.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:40 PM

At this point, you should be intelligent enough to not do that shit.
If you did it in the past and are just signing on with WWE or any company where you are performing in public, clean that shit up before you sign the contract.

I have zero sympathy or support for these idiots. Ruined by their own hands.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

It's a rare Wednesday night that I'm actually off work and able to watch NXT when it airs. This episode was pretty good. Unfortunately, it looks like we won't be getting to actually see the matches they taped at house shows for the tournament - we got some snippets, but that's it.

Johnny Gargano and Tommaso Ciampa looked great in their match. Gargano especially, as he had some great opportunities to show off his acrobatics against Bull. Bull, on the other hand, needs to work on his punches - there was this spot where he was throwing punches at Gargano where it was obvious that his hand wasn't anywhere near Gargano. They cemented Bull's face turn after the match with Breeze turning on him. I'm interested in seeing where they're going with Gargano and Ciampa from here - neither of them are under contract with WWE AFAIK, and they're being allowed to use the same ring names they use in the indies, which was unheard of until Joe showed up but seems to be becoming increasingly acceptable.

The Lucha Dragons' promo could have used subtitles a la an episode of Lucha Underground.

I think it's finally struck me what bothers me the most about Dana Brooke - she looks like a more muscular, slightly less chav version of Billie Piper.

Apollo Crews is talking about the "Apollo Nation" in his promos now, which is a pretty clever way of incorporating his old name (which predates his wrestling career and goes back to his high school weightlifting days) into his WWE image.

I actually kinda want to watch Dean Ambrose's movie. The idea that he was a badass cop who got involved in a high-stakes shootout in a locked-down office building actually works well into his backstory.

The main event is apparently from a Smackdown taping a few weeks ago, which explains the Jimmy Uso/Tom Phillips commentary team. (It's not a very good team, either - these two have no chemistry, and there are way too many awkward silences.) Finn has a cool new leather jacket to wear to the ring, which kinda helps in establishing Finn the man as a different character from Finn the Demon. Hunicara looked great in this match, but ultimately he ends up on the ground as Kallisto takes a musclebuster and a coup de grace for the win. (Jojo incorrectly announces Finn as "the IC champion" after the pin.) I get the impression that they're building to a Finn/Joe title match at Takeover 7: A Good Day To Take Over, so presumably one of them is going to turn on the other before the tourney is over.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:44 PM

NXT was pretty decent overall.

Whoever runs Full Sail's Twitter is on their game because Ms. Cups was telling a friend that we are going there tomorrow (without tagging or hashtagging them) and within about 15 minutes she got a tweet from them saying "We'll see you tomorrow".

Good on them and we're excited to go. I'll be wearing my Jake the Snake shirt and I'm assuming she's wearing her Dean Ambrose shirt, we'll have to look for ourselves come tape time
Old 09-10-2015, 07:04 AM

I can testify first hand that you don't want to show your uncivil side online. I used to complain about one of my now former company's clients in LiveJournal (as well as some of my company's managers) and got shitcanned when somebody associated with the client found it. We may have Freedom of Speech, but that doesn't mean we can get away with it.

Another thing about Dana: when she does her promos, she sounds like she's reciting, not ad libbing. "Eye ee-am the tow-tul Dee-va. Eye turned dee-own the Ar-nulled In-vi-tay-shun-ul so eye kee-an be the next NXT Dee-vas chee-ampion." Great Og, that accent turns milk sour.

The Smackdown audience didn't seem to react to Finn's entrance, but by the end of the match, they were making noise. Finn came off as a tad bit heelish, but he looked like he commanded the ring.

Of the new breed jobbing to the stars now, I'm actually digging The Drifter. He's got "the look" even if his guitar gimmick is kind of ehhh. I hope they don't have him turn into the next Honky Tonk Man. I kind of like the Clint Eastwood thing he's got going.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Another thing about Dana: when she does her promos, she sounds like she's reciting, not ad libbing. "Eye ee-am the tow-tul Dee-va. Eye turned dee-own the Ar-nulled In-vi-tay-shun-ul so eye kee-an be the next NXT Dee-vas chee-ampion." Great Og, that accent turns milk sour.
I looked at her at the beginning of that promo, thought "she doesn't look half bad there" and then of course she had to open her mouth and I cringed. With that voice, accent and mannerisms, she will never be more than a heel with a lot of go away heat.

And I fucking HATE the Usos on commentary even as I like them as a team. Lose the semi-ghetto speech patterns and stop fucking calling everyone "dog".
Old 09-10-2015, 09:21 PM

The taping was fun and were currently in a long ass line to try and get takeover tickets. Im not holding my breath...but were trying anyway!
Old 09-11-2015, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
The taping was fun and were currently in a long ass line to try and get takeover tickets. Im not holding my breath...but were trying anyway!
How'd it go? Did you get the tickets?
Old 09-11-2015, 10:58 AM

So like I said last night, the tapings were fun. The funniest thing to me was just how loud the arena was with random conversations happening and people getting up and leaving the arena left and right. I don't know why I thought it would be more...formal? I guess? and just be seated the whole time.

They really just paraded match after match after match with nothing but small breaks in between. No promos, no backstage segments, no nuthin. If they didn't tell us "hey, it's time to do the NXT chant!" we wouldn't know when one taping ended and another began. Ms. Cups and I were in the corner opposite the crane, so maybe on a long-shot we will see each other. Also Bayley ran right next to us, so that should be interesting to see too.

They announced Takeover 7: Takeover Takes Back was going to be at Full Sail and they announced the main event, which I'll spoiler just in case

SPOILER:
Bayley and Sasha are doing a 30 minute Iron Woman match that I think is for the title. This leads me to ask...What exactly goes into an ironman match?

They also announced the finals of the Dusty Tournament are going to be at Takeover, that's not a spoiler because I'm pretty sure that was obvious.

So after the main event (and basically during) of last night, the crowd started bolting from the arena in order to line up outside and get tickets for Takeover (and the taping afterwards). We watched the whole match and waited for around 90 min or so (thank the Lord for a McDonald's that's right there). They let people in only 10 at a time so it took a while, but at the end of the day (night?) for a whopping bucks a ticket Ms. Cups and I are going to enjoy Takeover at Full Sail! Woo-hoo! We didn't spring for night-after taping tickets because it would be another day I'd have to ask off and that's annoying.

ETA: Something else I forgot that happened that was pretty neat, we saw the contract signing for Kana (who is now called Asuka, which is stupidly pronounced ASK-ah).

Last edited by Sir T-Cups; 09-11-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
They announced Takeover 7: Takeover Takes Back was going to be at Full Sail and they announced the main event, which I'll spoiler just in case

SPOILER:
Bayley and Sasha are doing a 30 minute Iron Woman match that I think is for the title. This leads me to ask...What exactly goes into an ironman match?
If you're asking...
SPOILER:
what an "Iron Man" match is; it's "most falls in 60 minutes" (or, in this case, 30), presumably with a sudden death "overtime" fall if they're tied at the end of the time limit. If you have WWE Network, the main event at WrestleMania XII has one, although there were no falls in the 60 minutes. An example of one with falls is WWE Judgment Day in May, 2000.

I just hope they don't do what they did at WM 12 (which, BTW, was not the first "iron man match"), where they don't mention the possibility of an overtime, they are tied at the end of the time limit, the champion assumes it's a draw and walks away with the title belt - and then she's told about the overtime, which she then loses.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:19 PM

Smackdown "Take the Bullet" report

Wyatt Family promo opens the show with darkness and fog. References to Revelations & Garden of Eden, "Anyone but you, Roman," Jimmy Uso better not get involved, sinister nursery rhymes, bee bop a vroom DEPP!

OK, predictions have been flying as to who Dean & Roman's partner will be. Somebody photoshopped Baron Corbin in a poster, then it evaporated. Orton has been ruled out until further notice, and Jimmy Uso's next, since he's teaming with D & R tonight vs New-hoo Day-hee. That part doesn't really merit a spoiler, since Oos has been announcing and is thus expendable. An NXT callup is possible, but mainstream audiences are still unfamiliar with their talent. I'm thinking
SPOILER:
Chris Jericho

Cesaro vs da Miz

Cesaro still has his ribs taped up. I don't get it. If you have sore ribs, the last thing you want is something tight wound around them. Yes, I know, it's sympathy heat for the face, but it's been done to death. Miz flaps his hands for 5 minutes before taking off his shades, and Cesaro mocks him later in the match. After selling his torso tape through the commercial break, Cesaro makes Miz tap to the Bret Hart homage.

Paige vs Sasha

All of PCB comes out and all of BAD comes out. They get into a shoving match which results in the referee sending the non-contestants to the back to go sit in the corner. Sasha and Paige cat-fight it out for a while, and apparently it got so intense, another referee had to come out to control these Furies. Then BAD ran in to stomp on Paige, and CB ran in to stomp on the stompers.

Ambroos, Roos, and Uso vs Noos Day

Xavier gets Superman punched at the end, and Oos gets on the top corner to do a splash, then bee bop a vroom DEPP! The lights come back on, and Oos is missing. The Wyatts are back at the top of the ramp, and Braun has Oos in the Headlock of Doom. Bee bop a vroom DEPP! The Wyatts have disappeared, leaving Oos's prone body behind. Dean & Roman sell concern.

Lucha Dragons vs The Ascension

Ascension comes out with their new bff Stardust. Thanks for your 4-star match with Finn and Samoa Joe, Lucha Dragons. Now job to the Ascension in 2 minutes. Neville runs out afterwards to spin and flip on the heels. Couldn't they have spent less time recapping Seth getting his goddamn statue crushed so this match could last longer?

Seth Rollins vs Ryback, Lumberjack Match

About 20 midcarders surround the ring, including a scheming Kevin Owens and a grumpy Big Show. Standard match at the beginning. When Seth is tossed out, everybody hates him and whups up on him, and he goes back in whining about it. When Ryback is tossed out, everybody's too afraid of him and politely let him return of his own accord.

Eventually, Ryback is tossed out and lands on Big Show, who takes it personally. He throws Ryback into the barricade, then KOs Mark Henry when he remonstrates. The other faces gather around and force Big Show backstage, shaming him for his bad deeds. In the meantime, the heels are in the ring stomping on Ryback, because it's no DQ. Now THAT was funny!

This leads to several bowling pin scenarios, which ends when Neville Red Arrows the heel cluster. Ryback is alone with Seth and sets him up for the Shell Shock. What have we here? Kevin Owens didn't take part in the group heel aggression. He grabs Ryback's foot, causing Ryback to stumble, allowing Seth to get him in the Pedigree for the win.

DEPP!
Old 09-11-2015, 01:29 PM

Well, they've decided that since NXT is running at a loss, they're NOT going to be giving any of the talent any bonuses for the big events.

This is really really stupid. When Bayley and Sasha Banks go out there in front of a crowd of 13,000+ and put on a match of the year candidate, you fucking give them a bonus!
Old 09-11-2015, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

SPOILER:
I don't think you need to spoiler it - they announced it on the website last night.

That being said;

SPOILER:
An iron-man match is a match that goes for a set length of time (60 minutes is typical, but seeing as Takeover only runs for 2 hours that'd be a bit much), and at the end of that time, whichever competitor has scored the most falls - via pin, submission, DQ, or countout - wins the match. In the event that the score is tied at the end of the allotted time, the match goes into sudden death and the first person to score a fall of any kind wins. Prince Puma and Johnny Mundo had a great ironman match on Lucha Underground which I believe is now available on Youtube.

Quote:
ETA: Something else I forgot that happened that was pretty neat, we saw the contract signing for Kana (who is now called Asuka, which is stupidly pronounced ASK-ah).
No, that's the correct pronunciation. Written Japanese (kanji notwithstanding) is written with one character to each syllable rather than to each letter, and the characters for consonants each have a vowel attached to the end - Asuka, for example, would be written in hiragana (the more formal of the two syllabaries in written Japanese) would be あすか, with the middle character representing the "su". In most (but not all) cases, the U is silent when used in this context - I'm not going to try to explain it, because I barely understand myself and the rules are about as arbitrary and based on obscure historical evolutions in speech patterns as are the rules in English about when letters are or aren't silent or why "through" and "cough" don't rhyme or why some people pronounce "Ralph" as "Rafe".

Last edited by Smapti; 09-11-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Apparently, Seth Rollins isn't the only sports entertainer who's not welcome at outdoor music festivals;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Riot Fest FAQ
Not allowed;

Large bags or backpacks (no internal frame or camping-style backpacks)

Tents, ubmrellas or temporary structures of any kind

Video equipment of any kind (including personal camcorders and GoPro cameras)

Audio recording equipment of any kind

Portable audio equipment of any kind, including portable “boom box” stereo systems

Professional photo equipment (SLR cameras, detachable/removable lens cameras)

Selfie Sticks

Justin Bieber

CM Punk (emphasis mine)

Crying
On the other hand, they do emphasize that John Stamos is allowed to attend, so I guess that's good.

Last edited by Smapti; 09-11-2015 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:19 PM

Did Smapti just school us in Japanese? Is that the state of Washington's second language or something?
Old 09-11-2015, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Did Smapti just school us in Japanese? Is that the state of Washington's second language or something?
I went through a phase in my teenage years where I wanted to learn Japanese so I could understand the Super Nintendo JRPGs that hadn't yet been translated to English. I gave up when I decided that trying to learn kanji was too damn hard, but I have some recollection of the basics.

Long story short, the u is silent more often than it's not.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:59 PM

So next time I play Street Fighter I should be calling Akuma Ak-ma??
Old 09-12-2015, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So next time I play Street Fighter I should be calling Akuma Ak-ma??
AFAIK, the U in Akuma is intended to be pronounced. It's only his name in America, anyway - in Japan, the character is called Gouki (豪鬼), and the U is silent.

For the record, Gouki is Japanese for "great soul", whereas Akuma translates as "devil" - or, if you will, "balor".
Old 09-13-2015, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Apparently, the latest rumor going around the dirtsheets is that WWE is looking at bringing Jeff Hardy back when his TNA contract runs out.

Maybe he and Sting could finally have their rematch from this trainwreck.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:51 PM

Jeff Hardy is a walking Wellness Policy violation. He carries more drugs than Eckerd's. Can't see why WWE would want him back, unless it's to capitalize on Dudleyz nostalgia.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Apparently, the latest rumor going around the dirtsheets is that WWE is looking at bringing Jeff Hardy back when his TNA contract runs out.

Maybe he and Sting could finally have their rematch from this trainwreck.
Crowd: "BULLSHIT! BULLSHIT!"

Sting: "I agree!"
Old 09-13-2015, 07:58 PM

Maybe Vince is just a really big Willow fan. He digs the umbrella.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:15 AM

Willow... what a tit.

On a tree by a river a little tom-tit
Sang "Willow, titwillow, titwillow"
And I said to him, "Dicky-bird, why do you sit
Singing 'Willow, titwillow, titwillow'"
"Is it weakness of intellect, birdie?" I cried
"Or a rather tough worm in your little inside"
With a shake of his poor little head, he replied
"Oh, willow, titwillow, titwillow!"
Old 09-14-2015, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Today, in about seven hours or so, Nikki Bella will break AJ's record as the longest-running Divas champion. Fortunately, WWE have provided themselves an out for this trainwreck of an angle - Charlotte gets a title shot on Raw tonight.

The smart decision would be to start the match some short amount of time before the record-breaking hour, and have Charlotte win (by submission) with just seconds to spare, thereby solidifying the "Divas revolution" and showing that WWE is committed to presenting womens' wrestling as serious business.

What they'll probably do is a BS finish where Brie runs in to cause a DQ, the record is broken, and the entire Divas revolution is revealed as nothing more than a program intended to put over Cena's girlfriend and punish CM Punk by burying his wife's legacy, and the crowd will rebel while Cole and JBL do their best to pretend that it's "Shades of the night after WrestleMania!" and that they're chanting the announcers' names and doing the wave because of how exciting the in-ring action is.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:17 PM

Or as someone else pointed out (and was actually said on TV a couple of weeks ago), TOMORROW is when the actual record is, not tonight.

But since they're billing it as a tie today, that makes me think there's a possibility that Charlotte will win this thing.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Or as someone else pointed out (and was actually said on TV a couple of weeks ago), TOMORROW is when the actual record is, not tonight.
According to Wikipedia, AJ held it for 295 days (6/16/13 - 4/17/14), and Nikki has held it for 295 days (11/23/14 - today).

So presumably the record will be broken this evening at the minute and hour in which Nikki won the title off AJ at Survivor Series (which, IIRC, was sometime around 10 PM eastern.)

In any event, the reality is that the record is broken when WWE says it's broken, and none of your petty "facts" will convince them otherwise.

Last edited by Smapti; 09-14-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
What they'll probably do is a BS finish where Brie runs in to cause a DQ, the record is broken, and the entire Divas revolution is revealed as nothing more than a program intended to put over Cena's girlfriend and punish CM Punk by burying his wife's legacy, and the crowd will rebel while Cole and JBL do their best to pretend that it's "Shades of the night after WrestleMania!" and that they're chanting the announcers' names and doing the wave because of how exciting the in-ring action is.
Called it. Stick a fork in the "Divas revolution"; meet the new boss, same as the old boss. Triple H showed us a world where women wrestlers could have quality matches with decisive finishes and the women were allowed to develop distinctive characters who interacted naturally with each other. Then he turned it over to a crazy 70-year-old man who doesn't understand how women think and is more interested in pursuing petty vendettas against ex-employees than in making money or entertaining the audience. I guess we shouldn't be surprised.

The only question remaining is; is Vince petty enough to keep the belt on Nikki for another 138 days, so she passes CM Punk's reign and becomes THE LONGEST REIGNING CHAMPION OF THE MODERN ERA MAGGLE?

SPOILER:
Yes. Yes he is.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

On a less cynical note, there's a today-only t-shirt clearance sale running on WWE's website right now. Whole bunch of shirts that were getting promoted at various points over the last year that they've stopped promoting for whatever reason, marked down to $10 apiece. I myself picked up Samoa Joe's shirt, Finn's shirt with the demon face, and a Daniel Bryan "Yes revolution" shirt.

So if there were any shirts you've had your eye on in the past few months but decided not to pay WWE's exorbinant prices, now's your chance. (Or take your chance and hope it shows up in the clearance bin at Wal-Mart for $5 - that's how I got my CM Punk "Second City Saint" shirt that still has a sticker on it proclaiming it to be official WWE merchandise.)
Old 09-15-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
On a less cynical note, there's a today-only t-shirt clearance sale running on WWE's website right now. Whole bunch of shirts that were getting promoted at various points over the last year that they've stopped promoting for whatever reason, marked down to $10 apiece. I myself picked up Samoa Joe's shirt, Finn's shirt with the demon face, and a Daniel Bryan "Yes revolution" shirt.

So if there were any shirts you've had your eye on in the past few months but decided not to pay WWE's exorbinant prices, now's your chance. (Or take your chance and hope it shows up in the clearance bin at Wal-Mart for $5 - that's how I got my CM Punk "Second City Saint" shirt that still has a sticker on it proclaiming it to be official WWE merchandise.)
Wonder if this means the above crew are getting new shirts, or if they're just trying to get rid of the tons of inventory they have on their old stuff? A lot of them are NXT people so I really wonder about them
Old 09-15-2015, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wonder if this means the above crew are getting new shirts, or if they're just trying to get rid of the tons of inventory they have on their old stuff?
Considering that they've got about 40 different variations on the Suplex City shirt on sale, I'm guessing the latter. And on the other end of the spectrum you've got stuff like the Jack Swagger hand shirt, which they couldn't have been selling many copies of even when he was over as a babyface and making regular TV/PPV appearances.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
The only question remaining is; is Vince petty enough to keep the belt on Nikki for another 138 days, so she passes CM Punk's reign and becomes THE LONGEST REIGNING CHAMPION OF THE MODERN ERA MAGGLE?
138 days - if WWE holds to form, the Royal Rumble will be 139 days after that RAW took place. Say, you don't think that this is when Cena is going to tie, if not break by then, Flair's world title count record, do you?

As for AJ, she'll probably get as many mentions on the air as Droz has since his injury in 1999.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
138 days - if WWE holds to form, the Royal Rumble will be 139 days after that RAW took place. Say, you don't think that this is when Cena is going to tie, if not break by then, Flair's world title count record, do you?
My guess at this point? Regardless of what happens at NoC this weekend, Sheamus winds up with the world title via shenanigans at some point, Roman Reigns wins the Rumble again, and at 'Mania 32 he beats Sheamus for the championship. Cena probably won't get his 16th title at this rate until at least Summerslam.

Quote:
As for AJ, she'll probably get as many mentions on the air as Droz has since his injury in 1999.
The only reason Nikki broke her record (aside from the fact that she's shagging Cena) is so that they could bury AJ and not have to mention her anymore, thereby punishing her husband for refusing to job to the boss' son-in-law. If that's not true, may I win a sweepstakes where the grand prize is a one-way ticket to Suplex City.

Last edited by Smapti; 09-15-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Considering that they've got about 40 different variations on the Suplex City shirt on sale, I'm guessing the latter.
I hope they aren't totally doing away with the Suplex City shirts, I was looking forward to getting one at the Rumble.

I am really getting annoyed with smarks with media access. One second they'll be touting some behind-the-scenes thing, then the next second they're mentioning some kayfabe thing that's happening, and never marrying the two.

If I hear one more person bitch that Nikki is breaking the record and doesn't "deserve" it, or it's only because of Cena, I'm gonna kill someone. Obviously they want to erase AJs record because of the Punk thing so someone is going to break it, who gives a shit as to who it is? No one "deserves" it so just lop it on someone and call it a day. If you're gonna bitch, bitch about the fact she rarely defended it.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
The only reason Nikki broke her record (aside from the fact that she's shagging Cena) is so that they could bury AJ and not have to mention her anymore, thereby punishing her husband for refusing to job to the boss' son-in-law. If that's not true, may I win a sweepstakes where the grand prize is a one-way ticket to Suplex City.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was in retaliation for Punk's claim that Vince (or at least "the WWE," but I doubt that would have happened without Vince's approval) had something to do with Chris Amman's lawsuit against Punk and Colt Cabana more than for not jobbing to Trips.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:

To be fair, most of the shirts on clearance are kind of fucking awful. The world-wide market for the Enzo and Cass shirt has got to be roughly 2 people (Enzo and Cass themselves). On the other hand, the 3 you mention are rather wonderful.

I'm desperately jealous, though, that you have a "Second City Saint" shirt.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if it was in retaliation for Punk's claim that Vince (or at least "the WWE," but I doubt that would have happened without Vince's approval) had something to do with Chris Amman's lawsuit against Punk and Colt Cabana more than for not jobbing to Trips.
I think we can all agree it is in retaliation. As any long-time smart fan knows, Vince is petty. It could be either/or, both, or both plus a host of other real/imagined slights.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOmens View Post
I'm desperately jealous, though, that you have a "Second City Saint" shirt.
I have never worn it, because adulterating it with my sweat would mean having to wash it, and that would damage the sticker of authenticity. Not that I intend on ever selling it, but I like the idea of owning a demonstrably-WWE-certified piece of merchandise for a person who will probably never appear in WWE again (unless his UFC run turns to shit and in a few years he signs a part-time contract for some insane amount of cash like Brock did.)
Old 09-16-2015, 08:10 AM

I'm not entirely sure WWE is going out of their way to discredit CM Punk and AJ Lee. Making Bree's (or is it Nikki?) title reign a big issue is just another method of promotion, and AJ just happens to be the name that held the previous record. Also, in lawyer speak, "Diva" is different from "Lady" or "Woman" as far as wrestler types, so Fabulous Moolah's reign of decades doesn't apply. It's how any promotion is done. They look for "undisputed facts" that don't really mean anything and blow it up, like the way Miz does when he says he "headlined Wrestlemania" once, even though he's a comic relief fall guy now.

"What do you want, Bray?"

"Ah just want to see you suffer!"

If they put out a DVD of all of Miz's discomfiture, I would probably buy it. Well, find the rip of it.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:06 AM

No, they're definitely out to screw over the Brooks family.

And I dunno, I'll never respect the Bellas. They point out they've been there 8 years. Most of those years they were nothing more than star fucking eye candy with very little actual ability. Limited mostly to hanging on the elbows of their guest hosts. While they've picked up some (and I have to wonder if that's because they managed to fuck their way to the top and their BFs have incredible work ethics - and have to be asking why they don't) they're still nowhere near the talent of Natty, Page, Sasha, Charlotte, Bayley and my future ex-wife, Becky Lynch.

And frankly, they never will be.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:16 AM

Ehh, just based on their travel schedules alone it's basically bullshit to say the Bellas have no work ethic. Are they good wrestlers? No, and at this point in their careers if they were ever going to be we'd at least see some nascent talent in them. But they live on the road 300 days a year, are involved in multiple shows, do tons of events for WWE in addition to the televised shows and etc.

This is a business where women like Sable and Debra can become big stars, and I don't think that will ever change. It's cool that now there are some women who are real wrestlers--but the reality for me is even the absolute best female wrestlers that the IWC flips out over, I basically just do not care. I agree with something Sid Eudy said on a radio interview 4-5 years ago, women's wrestling is time on the card for something that possibly doesn't sell a single ticket. Even the best woman wrestler is just simply not compelling to me versus a male wrestler. I'm cool with admitting that it's sexist, but I like what I like. I don't like female MMA or female boxing either.

I will say traditional wrestling had something called a "valet", whose only job was to look hot and occasionally interfere for her man. That's the role people like Sable, Debra, the Bellas, and Lana belong in; if you're going to have women wrestling you shouldn't commingle the talents who really ought be valets and cannot wrestle with the talents that can. If you note before her wrist injury they were clearly trying to get Lana more physically involved in matches. That doesn't make sense, Lana's a valet, she should continue to work on her mic work (which was decent when she was managing Rusev) and continue to be physically attractive--that's her role in WWE, she's not a Paige or a Sasha Banks who was hired to wrestle.

Last edited by Martin Hyde; 09-16-2015 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure WWE is going out of their way to discredit CM Punk and AJ Lee. Making Bree's (or is it Nikki?) title reign a big issue is just another method of promotion, and AJ just happens to be the name that held the previous record. Also, in lawyer speak, "Diva" is different from "Lady" or "Woman" as far as wrestler types, so Fabulous Moolah's reign of decades doesn't apply. It's how any promotion is done. They look for "undisputed facts" that don't really mean anything and blow it up, like the way Miz does when he says he "headlined Wrestlemania" once, even though he's a comic relief fall guy now.

"What do you want, Bray?"

"Ah just want to see you suffer!"

If they put out a DVD of all of Miz's discomfiture, I would probably buy it. Well, find the rip of it.
The Divas championship is so new that I don't feel there's a lot of meaning to any records associated with it. It doesn't share a lineage with the old WWF Women's Championship, who had several women with longer Reigns than AJ's, and dated back to the 1950s, so I don't see it as being a belt where longest reign means a lot. This isn't akin to the main world title belt which can lineally be tracked back more than 50 years, this is more like talking about WWF Hardcore Championship records 3-4 years after that title was established.

Last edited by Martin Hyde; 09-16-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
they're still nowhere near the talent of Natty, Page, Sasha, Charlotte, Bayley and my future ex-wife, Becky Lynch.

And frankly, they never will be.
Paige's wrestling talent has dropped off a friggin cliff in the last year-and-a-half and is at Cena level spot yelling, Nattie looks like she's wrestling in slow motion, Charlotte has honestly never impressed me a whole lot, Bayley rides on her partner's ability A LOT, and TBH Becky had her amazing match vs Sasha and hasn't carried very much since.

I don't even mark out for her, but of that list the only one who really consistently gives amazing matches is Sasha. Not trying to just be contrarian to you, but I think the Divas Revolution girls are only slightly better than the Bellas, it's just everyone is so sick of the Bella's, and they're so desperate for new talent, that anything looks good right now.

Cept Sasha....she's amazing