Old 02-03-2016, 03:54 PM

Totally off- topic but I'm about to see a metal concert at the House of Blues down here and it's not Apocalyptica, but I don't know if it'll be the same watching it with Ms. Cups (NOT a rock fan) and not Knowed Out (rock fan)
Old 02-03-2016, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

I'll be at Raw and Smackdown this coming week. For Raw, I've got a fifth row floor seat on the side of the ring facing the hard cam, so it's distinctly possible I'll be on TV during the show. Look for the overweight guy with short brown hair wearing a "Yes! Yes! Yes!" shirt. I may or may not also be wearing a Sheamus mask and holding a Glo-Worm as a shout-out to some guys on a wrestling board I post on.

For Smackdown I'll be seated in the third row along the entry ramp and will probably be wearing the same getup, though it's less likely that I'll be on TV.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
I'll be at Raw and Smackdown this coming week. For Raw, I've got a fifth row floor seat on the side of the ring facing the hard cam, so it's distinctly possible I'll be on TV during the show. Look for the overweight guy with short brown hair wearing a "Yes! Yes! Yes!" shirt. I may or may not also be wearing a Sheamus mask and holding a Glo-Worm as a shout-out to some guys on a wrestling board I post on.

For Smackdown I'll be seated in the third row along the entry ramp and will probably be wearing the same getup, though it's less likely that I'll be on TV.
For RAW, I hope for your sake you don't get trapped behind some kid standing on his seat and waving a sign. Made me swear off floor seats forever.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
For RAW, I hope for your sake you don't get trapped behind some kid standing on his seat and waving a sign. Made me swear off floor seats forever.
I got snapped at by the parent in the row ahead of me for asking him not to hold up his small child because I could not see through them.

That was the one show I've been to in the last 30 years. I always look at the sign wavers and ask why I would want to pay to be behind that.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:44 AM

Who did you see STC?

I'm watching Legends With JBL on the Network, and his interview with Eric Bischoff. JBL is totally different from his RAW announcer identity. He's actually quite intelligent, articulate and congenial. He's not antagonizing Bischoff, but he's not softballing him either. Bischoff explains his side of the story and admits to some mistakes.

Bischoff considered Mick Foley a liability and a lawsuit waiting to happen because of his wrecklessness, which is why he let him go. He said Steve Austin and Jim Ross were already not happy at WCW and he didn't force them out. The main thing that killed WCW was the Time Warner/AOL merger and executives who knew nothing about wrestling took over, but I think some poor decisions on his part contributed to their downfall, like making Kevin Nash head booker and announcing that Mick Foley won the WWE title during Nitro. But the guy definitely took risks and made TV history.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:21 PM

Not really hearing more from Bischoff. I'm tired of the entire damned backwards focus on the Attitude Era.

To paraphrase U2;

Don't believe in the attitude
The golden age of wrestling
You glorify the past
When the future dries up.

I did, however, watch his interview with Ron Simmons. While I, in general, support Ron's insistence that you have to get out and change your circumstances yourself, I think Ron seems to overlook that he was blessed with incredible athletic skills that most others don't have.

Otherwise, watch it. It's really good.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Who did you see STC?
Opening act was Starkill, a young death metal band from Chicago who were quite good. Then it was Moonspell, some dinosaur goth metal band who has been playing for 30 years and were really quite uninteresting and boring. Headliner (who I came to see) was Epica, a symphonic metal band with a girl lead singer. Pretty girl too with Becky Lynch level red hair.

The show was a lot of fun and Epica was awesome. Ms. Cups was pretty weary when the first band came on, but learned to appreciate it as the concert went on. She ended up liking Epica quite a bit.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Lucha Underground, in case you needed me to tell you, was pretty darn good.

We get two new characters in this show. If the first, "Darewolf" PJ Black looks a little familiar, it's because he's the former Justin Gabriel. Not surprisingly for Justin Gabriel, he loses his debut match against Willie Mack, but it's a great match where the crowd briefly turns into a Japanese crowd and watches silently, cheering after the big moves. It'll be interesting to see where he goes in the Temple.

We also get a vignette introducing Kobra Moon, which makes us wonder what's going on in this world's version of L.A. where there are gangs of masked luchadors roaming the streets picking wuxia-style fights with people. Kobra is Thunder Rosa, a newly minted luchadora (she debuted in November 2014) who's been wrestling around the southern CA indy scene.

This show had two entire segments that were just vignettes with no in-ring action, but it all felt necessary and good for the story. Quite the difference from WWE's "stand in the middle of the ring, say a line, wait for the crowd to react, say another line" pace for character-building.

Vampiro is doing a good job playing up the major PTSD he's apparently suffering as the result of his fight with Pentagon. Pentagon definitely hasn't turned face, but he's playing a lot more nuanced character than your typical heel, and the interaction between him and Prince Puma is compelling. I wonder why Konnan isn't with Puma this season?

We close on Rey Mysterio talking El Dragon Azteca Jr. (who we met in the first issue of the Lucha Underground comic, and was revealed to be the hooded figure in the final scene of Ultima Lucha) into accepting his father's mask. Perhaps we'll be seeing him in the ring this season?

Last edited by Smapti; 02-04-2016 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:45 PM

It's Thursday and we remembered Smackdown exists!
Old 02-04-2016, 07:46 PM

Re: LU, I miss Dario Cueto and his evil machinations. He had designs on making his luchas into bloodthirsty warriors to please the gods, whereas Catrina doesn't seem to have any connection with them. He was always pitting friends against each other and making them put their careers on the line. I miss that element from LU.

Kind of weird that they had the dog & pony show for PJ Black and then had him lose, but Mack is awesome and deserves to win anyway. Seems like new talent usually lose their first match then make up for it later.

I just saw KO Powerbomb Kallisto on Dolph Ziggler's face on SD. That was hilarious.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:31 PM

What was Ryback wearing? Are they starting to change his character/turn him heel?

I like the no shirt/short shorts look on him. He's so huge he shouldn't be covering it up
Old 02-05-2016, 12:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Re: LU, I miss Dario Cueto and his evil machinations. He had designs on making his luchas into bloodthirsty warriors to please the gods, whereas Catrina doesn't seem to have any connection with them. He was always pitting friends against each other and making them put their careers on the line. I miss that element from LU.
I'm sure that he's got some master plan above and beyond just "hang around the Bay Area and charge guys $20 each to get eaten by Matanza".
Old 02-05-2016, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir t-cups View Post
what was ryback wearing? Are they starting to change his character/turn him heel?

I like the no shirt/short shorts look on him. He's so huge he shouldn't be covering it up
Goooooold-berg! Goooooold-berg!

Last edited by ekedolphin; 02-05-2016 at 02:58 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
What was Ryback wearing? Are they starting to change his character/turn him heel?

That is how Goldberg dressed. Maybe it's a fallback plan for Vince in case he can't get the real Goldberg to face Brrrrock at WM.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:15 AM

Quote:
I'm sure that he's got some master plan above and beyond just "hang around the Bay Area and charge guys $20 each to get eaten by Matanza".
I'm guessing he'll be part of the Rey Rey PI storyline. Didn't you say they're releasing a movie that ties in to this season?
Old 02-05-2016, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

In NXT news, Bull Dempsey, Sylvester Lafort, and Marcus Louis have all been released this morning.

All guys who had potential, IMO, but were never really used well.

Last edited by Smapti; 02-05-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
In NXT news, Bull Dempsey, Sylvester Lafort, and Marcus Louis have all been released this morning.

All guys who had potential, IMO, but were never really used well.
Bull? Really? This surprises me A LOT. He was really over (especially at house shows) and replaced Breeze as the comedy segment of the night.

I guess I never saw him as having much of a future in terms of being called up, and NXT is pretty overloaded, but I never would have thought they'd release Bull when they have way less talent there
Old 02-05-2016, 11:53 AM

Heh, was just thinking earlier today about Marcus Louis and figuring that he's on the short list, because they're not using him as anything other than a very infrequent jobber.

Would not be completely shocked if Bull asked for it, but surprised they're releasing him.

On second thought, no I'm not. Obviously the entire 'Bull Fit' and vignettes mocking him were intended to get him working on his weight. And when he was introduced in his last match at about 6 pounds heavier than a month or so ago, I immediately thought "oh, that isn't good". Corey Graves may have mocked him for being the exact same weight as before the holidays, but no, it was up slightly.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:11 PM

That sucks. Bull was hilarious. He would have been a comedy jobber like Santino in the main roster.

Maybe TNA will pick him up and have him win their title.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:50 PM

Injury bug bites again. Finn Balor was hurt yesterday at a house show in Nashville, his ankle is in a cast although it doesn't seem to be too terribly serious. Coincidentally (or not) Samoa Joe was his opponent, another injured star with Joe in the ring
Old 02-07-2016, 01:09 AM
Charter Member

From what I've read, Finn sprained his ankle doing the top-rope foot stomp, that's all. They've already taped NXT up through to Takeover 9: Developmental Does Dallas, so he'll probably be ready to go by then and they won't have to throw the current program out the window.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
From what I've read, Finn sprained his ankle doing the top-rope foot stomp, that's all. They've already taped NXT up through to Takeover 9: Developmental Does Dallas, so he'll probably be ready to go by then and they won't have to throw the current program out the window.
I've always hated his finisher, maybe this will give them an excuse to give him a new one
Old 02-07-2016, 07:57 AM

The Chikara show I went to had a huge I-beam supporting the ceiling that ran directly over two ring corners. Some of the wrestlers would grab it and swing from it. I could just picture Finn bonging his head jumping off the corner for the double-stomp.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

RIP Daniel Bryan's crazy hobo beard, 2012-2016.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Who did you see STC?

I'm watching Legends With JBL on the Network, and his interview with Eric Bischoff. JBL is totally different from his RAW announcer identity. He's actually quite intelligent, articulate and congenial. He's not antagonizing Bischoff, but he's not softballing him either. Bischoff explains his side of the story and admits to some mistakes.

Bischoff considered Mick Foley a liability and a lawsuit waiting to happen because of his wrecklessness, which is why he let him go. He said Steve Austin and Jim Ross were already not happy at WCW and he didn't force them out. The main thing that killed WCW was the Time Warner/AOL merger and executives who knew nothing about wrestling took over, but I think some poor decisions on his part contributed to their downfall, like making Kevin Nash head booker and announcing that Mick Foley won the WWE title during Nitro. But the guy definitely took risks and made TV history.
Yeah, I eventually got very bored of the Bischoff era product but I do think he's maligned unjustly (and I agree JBL is a smart guy outside of wrestling.) I think Bischoff took the product which when he took over was in a bad place both financially and creatively and made it entertaining again. I think his decision to pull live events (which WCW lost money on) and build up a TV fan base again then start live events up again once the fans were there was a smart move, and I think lead to the first time WCW had turned a profit in years and did something crazy like triple their revenue.

Some of his downfall really wasn't his fault, he had been given a blank check by Ted a few years later and basically told he could spend what was necessary to bring WCW up to par with WWF/E. That's the reason Bischoff turned the ink red--he was told he had the backing of a multibillion dollar company that was willing to go red for some time to build up the brand. Then when the Time Warner deal happened, Ted is no longer effectively in charge, and I believe resigns as Vice Chairman after like a year, and suddenly the $ situation changes. But there were quite a few long term contracts that couldn't be waived away, so without being willing to continue investing in WCW like Ted had done Time Warner basically signed WCW's death warrant. I think it could've continued on under outside ownership if they had been able to keep their Monday night slot on TNT--but Time Warner killed that deal by indicating they didn't want wrestling on TNT. A strange decision I've always questioned, since Nitro was far and away their best rated show, and nothing they replaced it with, I don't believe, ever approached its rating's share. The interregnum there at the end where Bischoff was sent into exile (was still being paid but was relieved of all duties) and Vince Russo took over creative was also a nightmare and did a lot to kill off the WCW brand in terms of fan interest--proving that without the moderating influence of Vince McMahon Russo really wasn't able to do things very well on his own.

Now, I do fault Bischoff for an over-reliance on stars like Hogan, Flair, Sting, Hall and Nash who had lucrative contracts that didn't require them to wrestle very much. Sting probably is the least guilty of that in WCW and Hogan the most guilty--there were long stretches of time in which Hogan had the belt and never appeared on Nitro, but would main event the PPV in matches that many of the fans had little to no interest in. Pushing Goldberg is a mixed bag, it worked early but was probably carried on too long, and he was super dangerous in the ring. After his initial streak ended they probably should've taken Goldberg off TV and let him spend more time at the Power Plant--guys like Bret Hart may have gotten another decade of wrestling out of them if they had done that.

Bischoff also underutilized a lot of major talent on his roster, like Chris Jericho and Eddie Guerrero, due to them not fitting his 1980s Vince McMahon idea of what a main eventer "looks like."

Last edited by Martin Hyde; 02-07-2016 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:36 AM

Well, looks like DBD tried to 'give notice' to WWE and they not only blocked him from doing so, but used the 'injury' clause to extend his contract another year.

Article had some of the wording of the contract. I'm very surprised (but probably shouldn't be) that there's no out clause for the wrestlers themselves to decide they want to quit.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:25 AM

I hope in the event they do part ways, DBD goes back to RoH and nowhere close to TNA.

Either WWE doesn't want to risk losing ratings or they really do plan to use him once he recovers enough not to be a potential lawsuit.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:51 AM

I'm unclear on why Bryan wants to give notice if WWE is willing to continue paying him. There's no way he'd make more by leaving and going to ROH. I get that maybe it's a true love of the ring sort of thing. If it's just because he wants to retire to his home it doesn't really make sense either, WWE is paying him to essentially not work right now.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Bryan was also spotted yesterday boarding a plane to Seattle, from whence Raw emanates tonight. Whether that's because he wants to meet with Vince in person and tell him to shove his contract up his ass, or he's going to appear on Raw and drop a pipe bomb, is anyone's guess. (One hopes the latter, because a Bryan-less Raw at the Key may result in rioting.

Watch for me (and my Glo-Worm) in the fifth row.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

No! No! No! No! No!
Old 02-08-2016, 12:32 PM

Iiiiiiiinteresting.

If the Superstar is retired, can they do indies? Is this a "ok you won't release me so I'm retiring and going somewhere else?"
Old 02-08-2016, 01:06 PM

Gotta give him credit. He's doing the right thing for his future health. Maybe we'll see him again in a "mentor to a young wrestler" role, a nice callback to his relationship with HBK.

Also, in relation to Finn Balor, I give you this short video: www.facebook.com/wwe/videos/10153518033521443/
Old 02-08-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Iiiiiiiinteresting.

If the Superstar is retired, can they do indies? Is this a "ok you won't release me so I'm retiring and going somewhere else?"
Cageside Seats and Meltzer have said that at least based on other leaked contracts, essentially the answer is "no." Vince can terminate any of the standard contracts with 90 days notice, the talent has no mechanism of ending the contract early. If Bryan is publicly announcing retirement along with him indicating to WWE he will no longer do anything for the company, then WWE can stop paying him his downside guarantee, and terminate the contract--at which point he'd be free to work elsewhere. But WWE could also just keep paying him the downside guarantee and keep him essentially "locked up" indefinitely, because there is a clause in the contract that periods of injury do not count against the contract term. So if you had a 1 year contract and get injured after six months, the entire time you're out on injury doesn't count against the year, so WWE still has you for 6 more "healthy months" regardless of how long you're injured.

If WWE had never terminated CM Punk's contract then he couldn't have signed with UFC until it expired (but he'd have continued getting his downside guarantee--but WWE may have been able to dock him for no-showing appearances.) But the timer on his contract would've kept on ticking, Danielson's timer is frozen for as long as he's not cleared medically. I'm not sure who adjudicates a dispute on medical clearance between the WWE doctor and doctors the performer has gotten second opinions from. Again--this is all assuming Bryan Danielson's contract is similar to other recently leaked contracts (which all use standard boilerplate from WWE lawyers in this area.)

I remain confused about Bryan's motivations in avoiding a guaranteed check. The fact that WWE is allowing Bryan to appear on TV to announce his retirement suggests to me they will option a termination of his contract, if they were still wanting to hold him under contract against his will I doubt he'd be invited on TV. So they've obviously come to an agreement. But I'm confused again, as to why he wants out of the guaranteed downside contract money.

Last edited by Martin Hyde; 02-08-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:55 PM

I would say the short answer is that he's not content with sitting around and getting paid, he wants to do something he loves and that's wrestling.

I can't imagine retired life is any different than just not being allowed to perform, but if WWE said, "Two things are happening, you aren't coming back ever and we aren't releasing you" then maybe he's actually doing us fans a favor and retiring so that we don't constantly hope for his music to hit at (insert PPV here)

That would be incredibly fan-forward thinking on his part, so there's a part of me that thinks that's not the case, but it's possible
Old 02-08-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
but if WWE said, "Two things are happening, you aren't coming back ever and we aren't releasing you"
Courts tend to take a dim view of this sort of thing. Sure, he's still being paid, but he can argue the whole medical thing in court and that their permanently sidelining him and preventing him from working damages his long term economic interests.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:06 PM

Fortunately I live in a Sinclair Broadcasting market so I get ROH (I only watch it very intermittently) but if Bryan appears on ROH I'll definitely tune in. I don't think his retirement is an expression of a desire not to wrestle--he wouldn't have gone and gotten cleared by two non-WWE doctors if he wanted to lace them up. I think Bryan is looking at it as "if I can't wrestle, then I can't, but I have two really good doctors who say I can"--which is very different from the Edge situation where he was told he could be paralyzed from further wrestling."

I agree with Chimera that the medical argument is adjudicable, and I don't think the court will really allow WWE to hold Bryan forever. They'll probably let WWE hold him for some period of time, but not indefinitely.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:08 PM

I'm thinking this may be his best path to getting out of that indefinite contract hold.

"Retire". Keep your mouth shut. Ride out whatever period WWE wants to give you.

Then sign somewhere else and flip Vince the bird.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:28 PM

Time for a little WWE Jeopardy!
The answer is:
The six words that pretty much guarantee that a city's next scheduled house show will be cancelled without warning.
SPOILER:
What is, "Free Daniel Bryan! Free Daniel Bryan!"?

I half-expect a crowd reaction like that tonight, and I would fully expect Vince to react that way if there is.
Then again, there are reports that the latest set of tests/scans show that while DB "could" wrestle again, that's like saying that Edge and Taz "could" wrestle again. I was also about to suggest that DB become the RAW Commissioner to ride out the time, but how would you explain The Authority giving him the job?
Old 02-08-2016, 02:46 PM

Yeah, without being privy to Bryan's medical results I hope that he doesn't have Edge like results and feels those mean he's safe to wrestle. My understanding is Edge was told impact could cause paralysis, so I don't see how two independent doctors could clear him to wrestle if that was his situation.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:45 PM

Welp, he could always take the Corey Graves route and join the announcing team. Or be a GM-like figurehead.

Maybe the "retiring" is a swerve, as in he's retiring from injury status. It gets real confusing because I'm so convinced everything WWE does is a work. It may not have begun that way, but it soon will be.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:56 PM

Just watched Nine Legends, blinding film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKsoWIaUCoU
Old 02-08-2016, 11:21 PM
Charter Member

Sadness notwithstanding, Raw was pretty good. Ziggler/Owens and Ryback/Bray were great matches. The Divas matches were decent. The tables match was a total barnburner and the crowd was completely into it.

I don't know how much of Bryan's retirement speech they aired on TV, because it didn't wrap up until almost 40 minutes overtime, but many a manly tear was shed. He says that the tests he took two weeks ago revealed that his brain was in a much worse state than he thought it was and that that was the deciding factor for him. He thanked the audience for supporting him and for hijacking Raw back in 2013, and talked about how wrestling has made it possible for him to meet great people like WIlliam Regal, Kane (who he called the smartest person he knows), Connor the Crusher, and his wife. In the end, the entire roster (including Vince) came out on the ramp and did the yes salute as he shook hands with the crowd and made his curtain call.

I don't know if my face got on TV much, but from the peeks I sneaked at the Titantron, my Glo-Worm got a good amount of airtime. Just look around the area of the left turnbuckle whenever they're on the hard cam.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:43 AM

Anyone else willing to bet that Daniel Bryan gets named to the Hall of Fame? If not this year, certainly next year.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Sadness notwithstanding, Raw was pretty good. Ziggler/Owens and Ryback/Bray were great matches. The Divas matches were decent. The tables match was a total barnburner and the crowd was completely into it.

I don't know how much of Bryan's retirement speech they aired on TV, because it didn't wrap up until almost 40 minutes overtime, but many a manly tear was shed. He says that the tests he took two weeks ago revealed that his brain was in a much worse state than he thought it was and that that was the deciding factor for him. He thanked the audience for supporting him and for hijacking Raw back in 2013, and talked about how wrestling has made it possible for him to meet great people like WIlliam Regal, Kane (who he called the smartest person he knows), Connor the Crusher, and his wife. In the end, the entire roster (including Vince) came out on the ramp and did the yes salute as he shook hands with the crowd and made his curtain call.

I don't know if my face got on TV much, but from the peeks I sneaked at the Titantron, my Glo-Worm got a good amount of airtime. Just look around the area of the left turnbuckle whenever they're on the hard cam.
I saw the Glo-Wurm a ton during the beginning of the broadcast, but not so much during the latter half. Then again, I might have gotten Wurm-blind off of it, but I still definitely saw you.

We got the whole speech last night. It was strange to me that WWE still booked a full 3 hour show when they had to have known that DBs speech would have gone long, but good for them and USA for not pulling it. The live broadcast ended a little after Brie came out and when DB left the ring to hug his mom, then it went over to the Network...but I didn't watch.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:11 AM

I haven't watched DBD's farewell speech yet. Not sure I want to. I take enough antidepression meds as it is and it might send me into a downward spiral. DBD was always a joy to watch. He was truly gifted not only as an athlete but with a magnetic personality as well. His partnership with Kane in Team Hell No was one of my favorite angles in wrestling ever.

It did seem like everybody stepped up their game tonight and put a little more oomph in their moves than usual. Dean Ambrose taunting Brrrrock had me in stitches. I guess Sin Cara won't be kicked to the curb now that the Dudleyz have turned heel, as they need more face teams.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:29 AM

Missed it due to a my regular alternate-Mondays gaming. Will watch what I can on the network later.

Wouldn't worry too much about Face teams. I expect Los Matadores to be released (as they haven't been used in a while, only like once(?) in the last three months. If they call up Enzo & Cass (rumored), there's a big face team right there, and American Alpha would be the other one I'd say to give a shot at the big time. Both of those teams are money.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
Anyone else willing to bet that Daniel Bryan gets named to the Hall of Fame? If not this year, certainly next year.
The dude's a sure thing. The ONLY question is who gives the induction speech.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:54 PM

Brie probably. I don't see why not
Old 02-09-2016, 04:20 PM

Kane.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:00 PM

New father-in-law John Laurenitis.