Old 11-27-2016, 07:47 AM

I was just coming here to post the patch notes.

I also have to admit I'm much more tempted to get the game now.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:02 AM

Foundation Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=hI9PvjJJijY
Old 11-27-2016, 10:54 AM

I broke down and got it. If it is utterly terrible in the first 2 hours I can return it, and if not well, it won't be the first $40 I've wasted on a bad video game.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coremelt View Post
The foundation update is out.
http://www.no-mans-sky.com/foundation-update/
Quote:
Products can be stacked up to five times per inventory slot, resulting in increased starship, base container and freighter storage capacity
There's something that was sorely needed. Bad resource management was one reason I stopped playing.
Quote:
This actually sounds like something I want to play now. Lets see when people have had time to play with the new version.
Unfortunately, I'm busy transporting an Explorer in Elite: Dangerous. Have six days to return to Sol and get my 20 mil.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 11-27-2016 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

nm

Last edited by Skywatcher; 11-27-2016 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
There's something that was sorely needed. Bad resource management was one reason I stopped playing.Unfortunately, I'm busy transporting an Explorer in Elite: Dangerous. Have six days to return to Sol and get my 20 mil.
I tried Elite: Dangerous, but the game crashed 3 times in 20 minutes so I gave up on it. I'm never figured out why. I don't have any odd hardware, all my drivers were up to date and I don't overclock, but it sure did hate my computer.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
I think spending their developmental effort on base building in a game where the design is to keepe exploring new places and never come back, when there are already so many fundamental problems with the core gameplay loop, is a very strange direction to focus their efforts. It would suggest they think the core gameplay loop is fine, and they want to add (weirdly contradictory) content rather than address that.
It is so sweet how you keep coming in with utterly uninformed and downright wrong things about this game.

Just so you know, you can teleport back to your base and a lot of us had no issues with the core gameplay loop.

But keep on digging away. Have you even played it yet?
Old 11-27-2016, 04:28 PM

I'm only a few hours in, but I have to say I'm enjoying the game a lot. It does for me exactly what I wanted it to do. I like wandering the alien vistas. I can *definitely* understand why for some people it would be absolutely no fun at all, but to each their own right? I can definitely see why the game needed some UI enhancements. Without the new UI elements I can also see how it could be very annoying.

Will I love it 40-50 hours from now?

I dunno. Maybe, maybe not, just have to wait and see.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:24 AM

Comments on another forum are generally positive about the foundation update. Ok I'll give the guy some credit for following through but they could have handled this so much better.

They could have announced that certain features were cut to make shipping date, that they would come but they couldn't give an exact date, then kept people busy by setting up a community forum and issuing various weekly challenges, photo competitions, etc. Theres many ways they could have kept people interested with a little bit of imagination.

It does seem obvious to me that a lot of the features in the foundation update must have been worked on prior to initial release then had to be cut out because they couldn't pass QC in time. I don't believe they could have implemented everything in the foundation patch from scratch in the time since release.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

In other news, 'No Man's Sky' cleared in false advertising investigation.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Player-made land vehicles are coming?

Last edited by Skywatcher; 12-03-2016 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:56 PM

I'm seriously hooked on survival mode. It's brutal. Every drop of resource you can squeeze out of a planet means the difference between life and death. Finding an outpost with a landing pad feels like winning the lottery. Finding a crashed ship is like having all the christmases ever, all at once.

I'm kicking myself for selling the second multi-tool I picked up - it had the grenade launcher, and I haven't found the blueprint for that yet. It didn't even occur to me. The GL lets you make your own shelter when your hazard shield runs low, but not all multi-tools have it.

The few times I've ventured into space I've been killed or at least severely damaged by pirates. Though at this point I have a better ship with better weapons mods and a shield enhancement, so maybe I'll be able to actually get to the space station this time.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:05 PM

I'm really enjoying survival mode- it's like a completely new game. It's freakin' hard.

However, I'm currently stuck with a bug- I somehow managed to build a construction terminal before the game told me to, and now I can't build on in my base because you're only allowed to have one. I can't remember where I build it originally, so I can't delete it... which means that I can't really build my base up at all.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:28 PM

I've tried survival mode twice. The first time I froze to death. The second time I made it off planet and was instantly killed by pirates. Since I prefer to play games such as NMS as one life only, it is really really hard.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
I'm really enjoying survival mode- it's like a completely new game. It's freakin' hard.

However, I'm currently stuck with a bug- I somehow managed to build a construction terminal before the game told me to, and now I can't build on in my base because you're only allowed to have one. I can't remember where I build it originally, so I can't delete it... which means that I can't really build my base up at all.
If you can find another base location, just claim the new base and it will auto-delete the old base and all it's components (and give you about 80% of the resources back in a special remove-only cache in the new base).
Old 12-05-2016, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

So how do you search for transmission towers (or for that matter, ruins) in the new world? That was the only reliable way to find crashed ships, and without finding crashes, I'm well into the game and still stuck in my original 16-slot ship. (I know you can buy them, but that's expensive and frankly less fun than the continue crash-by-crash upgrading).

Bonus question: What does "skywort" look like? I've got a quest to find it, and I'm pretty sure an earlier quest told me about it, but I don't know what I'm looking for. Are those the cave flowers?

Bonus Bonus question: Is there any way to know when the landing pad/landing beacons have "locked onto" you in a ship that can't see down (most of them)? I've probably set the world's record for landing with my nose practically touching an empty landing pad.

I really like the more structured tech path in the patch; you don't just get everything at once any more, and so you spend a little more time in the "helpless" phase. (And I still haven't gotten the non-starting hyperdrives, so I can't visit non-yellow stars yet.)

Semi-spoiler on this stream-of-consciousness. It seems like post-patch you have to explicitly reject the Atlas (either at your initial crash site or any Atlas station) before Polo and Nada will appear; they don't just show up in your third or fourth system any more.

Last edited by TimeWinder; 12-05-2016 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWinder View Post
So how do you search for transmission towers (or for that matter, ruins) in the new world? That was the only reliable way to find crashed ships, and without finding crashes, I'm well into the game and still stuck in my original 16-slot ship. (I know you can buy them, but that's expensive and frankly less fun than the continue crash-by-crash upgrading).
The one crashed ship I found came from first building a signal booster from the new build menu, finding an outpost and then activating the terminal in that.

Quote:
Bonus question: What does "skywort" look like? I've got a quest to find it, and I'm pretty sure an earlier quest told me about it, but I don't know what I'm looking for. Are those the cave flowers?
I haven't done this bit yet but I did find this:
Quote:
Skywort grows coryzagen which is used to make glass. Skywort grows on cold worlds and is dark blue. Coryzagen will show on planet scans from space.
Quote:
Bonus Bonus question: Is there any way to know when the landing pad/landing beacons have "locked onto" you in a ship that can't see down (most of them)? I've probably set the world's record for landing with my nose practically touching an empty landing pad.
You need to fly almost straight at the landing pad and you should see three small white triangles pop up around it - they can be a little unreliable in how often they show up.

If you're on PC keep an eye on https://nomansskymods.com/ and http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/.

LowFlight has already been updated for Foundation to change ore remove some of the restrictive flight parameters.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeepKillBeep View Post
I've tried survival mode twice. ... it is really really hard.
Even the "original chill experience" is harder now.

It used to be if you had iron and platinum, you were pretty much set (at least once you got the tech to make shielding shards out of just iron). Now you need to keep a substantial number of elements around all the time to keep things charged and running. And almost all of the resources are much rarer than they were pre-patch (although I like that they're "clumped." Finding a little Thanium forest is a great experience). Finding enough plutonium to keep the launcher fueled is a bit of a chore, actually. It used to be present at basically every POI and scattered between; I've found planets post-patch where I was never able to find any at all except in the boxes at outposts.

Last edited by TimeWinder; 12-05-2016 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
If you can find another base location, just claim the new base and it will auto-delete the old base and all it's components (and give you about 80% of the resources back in a special remove-only cache in the new base).
Nope, I've tried that twice, now. It deletes my previous base, but not my construction terminal. It knows that I've already built one, but it's not being tracked for deletion when I build a new base.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Pope View Post
The one crashed ship I found came from first building a signal booster from the new build menu, finding an outpost and then activating the terminal in that.
Hmm. "Colonial Outpost" has never given me anything other than Manufacturing Facilities and Operations Centers. Maybe I've just been unlucky; I don't actually search for those that often.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:57 PM

Try the Operations Centre and active the terminal there (like the one you get tech from in abandoned buildings). I'm at work now but I'm pretty sure that's where I found the distress signal 'puzzle'
Old 12-05-2016, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Try the Operations Centre and active the terminal there (like the one you get tech from in abandoned buildings). I'm at work now but I'm pretty sure that's where I found the distress signal 'puzzle'
I will. Usually I get a blueprint from a Manufacturing Facility, and a "location in distant space" (with associated random monument) from an Op Center. I thought those were the only possibilities; but maybe not.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:59 PM

I just found my first useless planet.

No animals, and plants only underwater and in caves (it actually bugs me that all caves on all planets look almost exactly the same). Hardly any resources- I had to walk a long ways to find enough plutonium to leave the ogforsaken place. I put down a signal amplifier, but everything I searched for was off the damn planet.

Furthermore, it was apparently airless- my life support was draining twice as fast as it normally does. This was particularly weird, because I could easily see atmospheric effects like wind and clouds- it would've been nice if it was just like being in space.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:19 AM

Is it true that the PS4 version of No Man's Sky was already on sale for $20 in the US at some point? I've been watching the Australian store and the Thai store, both of which I have accounts in and it's still approx $40 USD in both of them.

Maybe it was the PC version on steam dropped to $20 at one point?
Old 12-06-2016, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Is it true that the PS4 version of No Man's Sky was already on sale for $20 in the US at some point? I've been watching the Australian store and the Thai store, both of which I have accounts in and it's still approx $40 USD in both of them.

Maybe it was the PC version on steam dropped to $20 at one point?
PC version hasn't been lower than $35.99, at least according to IsThereAnyDeal.com.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:32 AM

Thanks, looks like I've managed to snag a physical disc used copy for $22 US. Lots of people getting rid of the discs and not willing to give the patch a go I think.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:18 PM

I don't get to play as often as I would like because reasons, but I am really liking the Foundation update, and especially Survival Mode, which almost feels like a totally different game where everything you do can have substantive consequences and where death is not only possible but likely.

As Timewinder stated above, even Normal Mode is harder now than before the patch. Resources are much more scarce, pirates are much more prevalent, and HG has rejiggered their resource and elements tables to make everything less of a cakewalk, AKA boring.

On the other hand, the game now has new storage options, and purchasable freighters which at this stage of the game are really nothing more than floating storage facilities. Perhaps the next patch will give players a real reason to own a freighter as there are plenty of storage options already at this point.

I haven't tried creative mode because what's the point other than playing Minecraft Lite iiiiiin spaaaaace?
Old 12-10-2016, 09:10 PM

So now it's been out for a week what's the opinion of post patch players ? Still good or losing interest again quickly ?
Old 12-10-2016, 10:02 PM

I'm not liking the scarcity of resources, to be honest. I've encountered several planets now with no plutonium on them, which means there's a possibility in the future I'll end up stranded somewhere without enough fuel to operate the launch system to leave.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini Enfield View Post
I'm not liking the scarcity of resources, to be honest. I've encountered several planets now with no plutonium on them, which means there's a possibility in the future I'll end up stranded somewhere without enough fuel to operate the launch system to leave.
I just ran into that, actually.

I'm trying to find some spadonium (to build a science workshop in my base), which is only found on "barren" planets. Well, I saw a planet that looked kind of likely, but of course the only way to really find out what a planet is like is to land on it and sniff the air personally. Sure would be nice if we had some sort of "scanning" technology, ya know? Anyway, I set down near what looked like an outpost (because they have the ship recall pylons that allow you to take off for free)... but when I landed, I found that it was actually an abandoned facility. Furthermore, the planet was an extreme heat storms planet- so not only did I have no way to take off again, I found that my suit would only last about fifteen seconds outside the ship or the base.

I managed to duck into a nearby cave and barely manage to scrape together enough plutonium over an hour or so to get off the damn planet. I honestly thought I had just lost my game.

So, yes. Some planets have really low resources, and it'd be really nice if we could identify planets without having to land on them.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:17 AM

But doesn't that sort of uncertainty add to the suspense of the game?
Old 12-11-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
But doesn't that sort of uncertainty add to the suspense of the game?
It's supposed to be a "Chill exploration experience", at least in Normal mode - so I don't mind a reduction in the amount of plutoninum that's about, but not to the point where I'm now wondering if I'll be able to get off a planet I've landed on. That's the complete opposite of a chill experience for me and what I'd be playing Survival Mode for if I wanted. Which I don't.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:43 PM

I would like it if they would remove the requirement to refuel your ship and mining laser. I find those two activities to be low points of the gameplay.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If this happens, wander until you find one of the buildings with a ship call (anything with a landing pad, plus the manufacturing facilities and operation centers.) You can call the ship to you there, and takeoffs from such locations are free.

If you can't do that (no materials to make the bypass chip, for example), claim the next base you see, go to the space station through the teleporter. Your ship will be present there, and takeoffs from space stations are also free.

But I agree that in exchange for a richer "tech tree," particularly at the beginning of the game, we seem to have picked up a LOT of "search for rare resources just to keep going" stuff. For me, it's Zinc in particular that I always seem to be out of. I'd be happy to have that stuff all be "refillable" with iron or carbon in the "chill" setting.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm trying to find some spadonium (to build a science workshop in my base), which is only found on "barren" planets. ... Sure would be nice if we had some sort of "scanning" technology, ya know?
You can scan them from space. Aim at the planet, hit "C", and it'll tell you what the exotic material on the planet is (there will be only one other than Antrium, I think), and the two or three most common of the baseline resources. So you can find out whether the planet has spadonium without landing.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:23 PM

Quote:
If this happens, wander until you find one of the buildings with a ship call (anything with a landing pad, plus the manufacturing facilities and operation centers.) You can call the ship to you there, and takeoffs from such locations are free.

If you can't do that (no materials to make the bypass chip, for example), claim the next base you see, go to the space station through the teleporter. Your ship will be present there, and takeoffs from space stations are also free.
Some of the planets I've seen have been huge; in the solar system I'm in now there is one planet with a habitable base on it that I've been able to find. I've got heaps of plutonium in reserve (as a legacy of when it was everywhere) but I think a few more tweaks are in order - especially in the "normal" mode.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Some of the planets I've seen have been huge; in the solar system I'm in now there is one planet with a habitable base on it that I've been able to find. I've got heaps of plutonium in reserve (as a legacy of when it was everywhere) but I think a few more tweaks are in order - especially in the "normal" mode.
Oh, I agree, I was just offering a workaround for if you get stranded. By the way, you can find bases with the Signal Scanner you learn to build early in the game (although I think it takes Plutonium to build); I don't think I've ever been on a planet that didn't have one somewhere, and that will find it. Scanning from space is hit-or-miss; it'll usually only find one thing every few minutes.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:13 AM

That makes sense in that context and it's a helpful emergency backup - thanks for sharing it!
Old 12-12-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
You can scan them from space. Aim at the planet, hit "C", and it'll tell you what the exotic material on the planet is (there will be only one other than Antrium, I think), and the two or three most common of the baseline resources. So you can find out whether the planet has spadonium without landing.
I discovered that last night. Thanks, though.

Anyway, the planet I found with that material was a small moon. It had nighttime lows of something like -40 or so, with daytime highs of 80 degrees. Oh, and it had very frequent firestorms that put the temperature over 300. My suit would only last about 20 seconds during on of those, and they were so frequent (seriously, I don't think they were more than five minutes apart) that I couldn't go very far away from my ship to look for resources.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I discovered that last night. Thanks, though.

Anyway, the planet I found with that material was a small moon. It had nighttime lows of something like -40 or so, with daytime highs of 80 degrees. Oh, and it had very frequent firestorms that put the temperature over 300. My suit would only last about 20 seconds during on of those, and they were so frequent (seriously, I don't think they were more than five minutes apart) that I couldn't go very far away from my ship to look for resources.
One last tip for those horrible planets. For some reason, even on planets that have 300 degree atmospheres (or -200 degree ones), caves--even very tiny ones--are balmy and pleasant. With the grenade attachment on your weapon, you can make a cave anywhere (until your ammo runs out). It's a bit tedious, but it allows long-distance travel on hostile worlds.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:
One last tip for those horrible planets. For some reason, even on planets that have 300 degree atmospheres (or -200 degree ones), caves--even very tiny ones--are balmy and pleasant. With the grenade attachment on your weapon, you can make a cave anywhere (until your ammo runs out). It's a bit tedious, but it allows long-distance travel on hostile worlds.
You can also use your mining laser to hollow out any mounds or stacks you come across, too. Which are also helpful ways of hiding from the sentinels as well...
Old 12-13-2016, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Another things that seems to have changed is asteroid yield. I'm never willing to sacrifice storage on my early, small ships for a mining beam, so I "asteroid mine" with a photon cannon (which also has the benefit of not using fuels). That's become less effective post-patch; each asteroid produces much less material than it used to -- I don't know if that's true if you're using a beam or not.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So how do you search for transmission towers (or for that matter, ruins) in the new world?
Quote:
Quote:
I've tried this for several hours now, and I've never gotten a distress call from an Operations Center or Manufacturing Facility--only from Transmission Towers, which you can't search for and seem to have to luck into. Anybody got a secret for finding either the Transmission Towers or the crashed ships themselves?
Old 12-13-2016, 06:47 PM

Damn, I was sure that was the way it worked for me.

Steam thread here on finding ships:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/27585...2447915768875/

Looks like its a matter of luck depending on the planet but there are some ideas on how to find them:

Quote:
If you're on a PC you can use the In-Air Shipwreck Spotter mod to hasten your search.Or the Find the Black Box mod, i've not tried that yet.

With PS4, scan the planets from space and pick the ones where you get Abandoned Building or Trading Post. Those seem to be the planets with the most buildings. Some of them have a much higher density of buildings than before the update, there are crazy numbers of towers. Then just fly over the planet at 150 clicks or so and look for towers. (I picked one of these planets for my home base because I love scrapping ships or switching to a different one.)

I think the crash sites seem to be closer to the towers now, so you don't have to go to the other side of the planet. I've found that on the high density planets you can find 3 wrecks in 15 minutes. Repairing them is slightly easier now because there tends to be more zinc for those times when the pulse drive is bust. But anyway, as I'm sure you know, it saves time if you carry heridium, thamium, plutonium and zinc. (There will always be iron at the crash site.)

Last edited by Battle Pope; 12-13-2016 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm trying to find some spadonium (to build a science workshop in my base), which is only found on "barren" planets.
Spadonium is only found in barren biomes, like deserts. Not barren planets. It is obtained from dried-out cactii.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 12-13-2016 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Spadonium is only found in barren biomes, like deserts. Not barren planets. It is obtained from dried-out cactii.
While that's true, it's rare enough that if barren isn't the primary biome of the planet, you may be looking for a long time. Assuming you're hyperdrive-capable, the easiest way to find it is to keep jumping into systems, scan every planet, and land on the ones that actually scan as containing Spadonium. I've found one about every other system, so they're not incredibly rare. So far as I know, this is the only time you'll ever need that particular "element," so once you've got your science terminal, you can just sell the rest.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Guess I got lucky, then. First jump after loading my save was to a system with a claimable base on one planet and another planet that's comprised almost entirely of desert. Cactii everywhere, including ones that contain spadonium.

There's a third planet that's almost literally barren: no plants, no animals, no points of interest, very little in the way of resources, and a life support draining thin atmosphere. Not a place where one will find spadonium.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanset View Post
It is so sweet how you keep coming in with utterly uninformed and downright wrong things about this game.

Just so you know, you can teleport back to your base and a lot of us had no issues with the core gameplay loop.

But keep on digging away. Have you even played it yet?
You know, I've played the game since the week after launch, and I tend to agree with what Beef said. The idea of the game is exploration and continuing to follow the Atlas. It's odd that I'm expected to keep hopping back to my old base. I'm looking forward to finally scraping enough money together to buy a decent freighter, which seems more in line with the whole "constant movement along the Path" than having a home base. From what I understand, however, the freighter customization isn't nearly as good as the base. That does seem to be more along the lines of the Hello Games guys retrofitting the base building concept because it worked in other games that didn't piss the consumer base off.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozahol Squid, P.I. View Post
You know, I've played the game since the week after launch, and I tend to agree with what Beef said. The idea of the game is exploration and continuing to follow the Atlas. It's odd that I'm expected to keep hopping back to my old base. I'm looking forward to finally scraping enough money together to buy a decent freighter, which seems more in line with the whole "constant movement along the Path" than having a home base. From what I understand, however, the freighter customization isn't nearly as good as the base. That does seem to be more along the lines of the Hello Games guys retrofitting the base building concept because it worked in other games that didn't piss the consumer base off.
Having a base on a lush planet with a lot of resources is great because you can just teleport back to it from the space station in whatever system you are in, restock, and teleport back to your frontier. The excitement of building and having a cool looking base wears off quickly, but the utility of a single location to pop back to for most of the resources you will ever need can't be overstated.

Also, because you cannot currently teleport to or from a freighter, a base is even more valuable and practical.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onomatopoeia View Post
Having a base on a lush planet with a lot of resources is great because you can just teleport back to it from the space station in whatever system you are in, restock, and teleport back to your frontier.
Not to mention that the first blueprint the construction NPC gives is a remote teleporter and teleporting brings your ship with you. I assume teleporting from a different system saves a warp core.

Plus bases can worked by NPCs other than the constructor. Science was mentioned upthread and I've run into an armorer offering his services.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 12-14-2016 at 02:03 PM.