Old 11-28-2016, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

I'll have to consider that after a night's sleep.

Is it worth doing the Decay challenge? It allows you to create Gardens in maps. What do Gardens do?
Old 11-29-2016, 01:01 AM

Ugh, I got all my numbers for table 2 wrong, the second column should be a flat 1.75 times the second column in table 1, instead I scaled up each step by 1.75 instead of 1.4.

Still, the overall message of cheaper in the long run to buy more than two from table 1 still holds, even if my details are off.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
I'll have to consider that after a night's sleep.

Is it worth doing the Decay challenge? It allows you to create Gardens in maps. What do Gardens do?
I am currently desperately trying to get this one finished. It's been at least four days now, and it's just irritating as all getout. I'm about halfway through zone 55 though. Maybe by tomorrow night?

The biggest problem in this one is your attack. You need to totally max out your production and power perks. Blockage is easy, but attack is miserable. My power is at 26, and it's nowhere near enough. I'm at 104T max damage and taking up to ten minutes to beat down opponents whose health is 40+Qa

Farming is useless, but I need the map bonus desperately. But it takes forever to get through a map even twice.

Do this one on a really busy week at work; choose a day/week when you'll really only have time to check in once a day to click upgrades.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCDiver View Post
How many times through the portal am I looking at to get to that point? I've portalled 6 times, my max level is z60 and I have level 12 carpentry.
I've portaled 14 times now, and haven't really needed Wormholes for the last three or so, from what I remember. The first time I ran to Z60, I bought a whole 20 of them. Next run, nine I think. Next run after that, I bought two or three but really didn't need them. Don't need them now at all. Don't really need very many Gateways either. Those Carpentries are boss.

But, there is an achievement for owning 100 of all housing. That'll be expensive. Anyone gotten that yet? I'm curious how much He 100 WHs cost.

The Decay challenge wasn't bad for me. It's fast, and good to use for speed runs. My next challenge will be Electricity. I do whatever challenges I've unlocked plus a couple helium runs to help beef up a bit before my next long run, which will be at least to Z90 next time and who knows, maybe higher.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by levdrakon View Post
But, there is an achievement for owning 100 of all housing. That'll be expensive. Anyone gotten that yet? I'm curious how much He 100 WHs cost.
184K, apparently; it shows the cost if you mouse over it with a number selected. That is a lot of Helium, though. I think I might just about pull it off if I make a Daily challenge run to zone 90 or so, but then on the other hand I'd rather just keep the Helium for perks.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:35 PM

...Oh yeah, and on second thought keeping the Warpstation at level 0 would probably have to suck pretty bad too, I imagine.

On a different note, has anyone been able to get the Gallop to Doom achievement? My best time is 1:18 and I don't even know how I did that because every run since has taken longer, oddly enough.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Is there a point where it isn't worth the Metal to upgrade equipment beyond level 1 if you have prestiges to work on too?
Old 11-29-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telperion View Post
...Oh yeah, and on second thought keeping the Warpstation at level 0 would probably have to suck pretty bad too, I imagine.

On a different note, has anyone been able to get the Gallop to Doom achievement? My best time is 1:18 and I don't even know how I did that because every run since has taken longer, oddly enough.
No, I missed Angry Racer by three minutes, and my best for Gallop to Doom is 1:50. I may try running Decay and going balls to the walls for those if they don't happen on their own.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:14 AM

I saw the new stuff in the latest update, things that happen AFTER zone 230+!! How long do you have to play this game to get that far? I've been playing for weeks and JUST cracked zone 100!
Old 11-30-2016, 10:25 AM

I've been playing since this thread opened in September and am currently working on zone 80. I don't recall how many times I've portaled (12 maybe?). I'm going to work on the Prison zone then respec. Maybe zones 80+ will take less time.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:44 PM

I just bought Flutimp. They say fragments become useless later in the game, but so far I haven't found that to be the case, especially if you like to run Garden or Mountain maps, so we'll see if Flutimp helps. It seems to drop pretty frequently.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Who says Fragments are useless? You'll always need them to create maps, won't you?

What do garden maps do?
Old 11-30-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Who says Fragments are useless? You'll always need them to create maps, won't you?
I think so. But after a while, you will collect so many just from running maps for upgrades and/or attack bonus that the fragments will always just be there to create new maps

Quote:
What do garden maps do?
It looks to me that they are just maps that offer every resource type instead of a particular one. Haven't really found much difference, unless the reward for each defeat is higher in the garden maps or something. I don't analyze the game too much to give you any greater detail than that.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Exactly. Maps get really expensive. I just read that in the guide that they're unimportant. I don't agree with it. I usually skip maps every other level or so or I'd run out of fragments pretty quickly.

Quote:
What do garden maps do?
Garden maps drop a little of everything, but once you complete the Decay challenge, you can buy them instead of just hoping one will randomly drop, and they drop 25% more loot, so it's nice.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
I am currently desperately trying to get this one finished. It's been at least four days now, and it's just irritating as all getout. I'm about halfway through zone 55 though. Maybe by tomorrow night?

The biggest problem in this one is your attack. You need to totally max out your production and power perks. Blockage is easy, but attack is miserable. My power is at 26, and it's nowhere near enough. I'm at 104T max damage and taking up to ten minutes to beat down opponents whose health is 40+Qa

Farming is useless, but I need the map bonus desperately. But it takes forever to get through a map even twice.

Do this one on a really busy week at work; choose a day/week when you'll really only have time to check in once a day to click upgrades.

The thing about Decay is that the first ten minutes or so on a level are way faster than normal in attack and resource generation. If you wait to do the challenge until a normal level 55 would take you half an hour or less, than you should be able to finish every level faster than normal. So... my advice is to wait until you have more He and it'll be really easy.

Quote:

If I recall correctly, I was doing the decay challenge when I realized I was in time to do Gallop. Decay is blazingly fast if you have the He spent.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
184K, apparently; it shows the cost if you mouse over it with a number selected. That is a lot of Helium, though. I think I might just about pull it off if I make a Daily challenge run to zone 90 or so, but then on the other hand I'd rather just keep the Helium for perks.
Yeah, but you need 100 Warpstations and Gateways too. I'm doubtful you'd be able to get 100 Warpstations in a reasonable amount of time at zone 90. I'm guessing zone 120 or so would be a lower limit.

That said, I could do it on my current run but I'm thinking that 184k isn't worth it yet, even though I have a few million He total. I just unlocked the challenge that will allow me to buy resourceful, which is the perk to make structures like Warpstations at a discount, so I'm thinking I'll wait to get a few levels of that before buying that achievement.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Call Me... Tim View Post
Yeah, but you need 100 Warpstations and Gateways too. I'm doubtful you'd be able to get 100 Warpstations in a reasonable amount of time at zone 90. I'm guessing zone 120 or so would be a lower limit.
Does it need 100 current Warpstations, or 100 total Warpstations? Because I've been doing 10+3, and am at Warp9 with 35 stations - 233 in total.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
Does it need 100 current Warpstations, or 100 total Warpstations? Because I've been doing 10+3, and am at Warp9 with 35 stations - 233 in total.
I'm pretty sure that would be too easy.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Yeah, my understanding is that it needs 100 current Warpstations.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is there a point where it isn't worth the Metal to upgrade equipment beyond level 1 if you have prestiges to work on too?
Reposting this since it seems to have slipped by.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:34 PM

I'm way behind you guys since I started well after you. Currently doing Scientist I challenge.

I'm finding that Relentless is very powerful when combined with Toughness. So long as your guys can survive a hit sooner or later you'll get a crit and cause a lot of damage.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCDiver
Yes. It becomes pointless quite quickly to buy extra equipment because it ends up being a waste since it's not carried over to the next prestige level, and you don't even have enough metal to use all the prestiges you have access to.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I saw your post, but really didn't have anything insightful to say. I just sort of go with the flow, more or less. At the beginning of a run I'm going too fast to bother with upgrades and just do prestiges. Then later in my run prestiges start getting expensive so I'll look at the time it takes to buy it. If it says 10 hours or a day or something, then upgrading is much cheaper. Is that the most cost effective and efficient in the long run? Probably not but upgrading equipment and continuing on brings the time it takes to afford the prestige way down. It might say "4 days" to afford the next Supershield, but bang out a few zones and it becomes "1 hour". More or less.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I saw your post, but really didn't have anything insightful to say. I just sort of go with the flow, more or less. At the beginning of a run I'm going too fast to bother with upgrades and just do prestiges. Then later in my run prestiges start getting expensive so I'll look at the time it takes to buy it. If it says 10 hours or a day or something, then upgrading is much cheaper. Is that the most cost effective and efficient in the long run? Probably not but upgrading equipment and continuing on brings the time it takes to afford the prestige way down. It might say "4 days" to afford the next Supershield, but bang out a few zones and it becomes "1 hour". More or less.
Well, I guess what I'm looking at is all the metal upgrades. So I can wait 10 hours (less if I'm in a map) to get that prestige, or I can continue to perpetually upgrade my equipment and never have enough for the prestige.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Well, I guess what I'm looking at is all the metal upgrades. So I can wait 10 hours (less if I'm in a map) to get that prestige, or I can continue to perpetually upgrade my equipment and never have enough for the prestige.
As long as you're making progress on zones and buying more housing and trimps, the time it takes should eventually come down to something affordable. Your production speed goes up 25% per zone, and if you're got Meditation, you get more production from that.

Personally I wouldn't upgrade equipment past lvl 3 or 4, unless I was really stuck and couldn't make progress, or doing a challenge that doesn't let you buy prestiges or something. I think during a scientist challenge you end up upgrading to lvl 20 or 30 or some silly thing. buying too many upgrades will actually lower your stats when you do buy the prestige. Definitely don't go past lvl 10.

How is your metal production? They say metal eventually becomes most important, and they mean it. I've got my production ratio at about 1:1:3, and I'm slowly ramping up to 1:1:4, with metal being the 4.

I'm currently on Z68 and haven't had to buy upgrades yet. I get a little behind on prestiges, but only one level or so, so far. I'm also about to start falling behind of Coordinations. I think it's normal to start falling behind until things are so slow it isn't amusing anymore. Then portal and buy more Carpentry, Packrat, Motivation etc.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Right, I definitely have to readjust my thinking here, for some reason I had it in my head that it was most effective to do sequential upgrades (i.e. Dagger 4, Boots 3, Mace 2, Helmet 1, etc) until one got to 10 then doing a Prestige. But occurs to me this is probably a huge waste of metal, especially early on when I can get a bunch of prestiges quickly while blowing through the lower Zones.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:18 AM

My current run has gone on way too long. It got stuck during Thanksgiving because I couldn't log on, and I hadn't gotten autostorage yet - so that was 5 days down the drain. My 10+3 warps has been doing awesome, but I have a 5 Gigas in storage, and just want out. I'm on Z88, and want to make it to 90 before I reset - do I just burn all those Gigas much faster than I normally would to get there?
Old 12-03-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
My current run has gone on way too long. It got stuck during Thanksgiving because I couldn't log on, and I hadn't gotten autostorage yet - so that was 5 days down the drain. My 10+3 warps has been doing awesome, but I have a 5 Gigas in storage, and just want out. I'm on Z88, and want to make it to 90 before I reset - do I just burn all those Gigas much faster than I normally would to get there?
Two zones? Sure. If it's only two zones I'd consider firing workers and putting it all on miners. Blow everything.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:10 PM

So, is there a set of Heirlooms considered to be best? I've got two carrying spots, and two rare shields and staffs, and enough Nulifium to start upgrading them.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
As long as you're making progress on zones and buying more housing and trimps, the time it takes should eventually come down to something affordable. Your production speed goes up 25% per zone, and if you're got Meditation, you get more production from that.

Personally I wouldn't upgrade equipment past lvl 3 or 4, unless I was really stuck and couldn't make progress, or doing a challenge that doesn't let you buy prestiges or something. I think during a scientist challenge you end up upgrading to lvl 20 or 30 or some silly thing. buying too many upgrades will actually lower your stats when you do buy the prestige. Definitely don't go past lvl 10.

How is your metal production? They say metal eventually becomes most important, and they mean it. I've got my production ratio at about 1:1:3, and I'm slowly ramping up to 1:1:4, with metal being the 4.

I'm currently on Z68 and haven't had to buy upgrades yet. I get a little behind on prestiges, but only one level or so, so far. I'm also about to start falling behind of Coordinations. I think it's normal to start falling behind until things are so slow it isn't amusing anymore. Then portal and buy more Carpentry, Packrat, Motivation etc.
Oh, in Scientist IV and V you'll do upgrades into the upper 100s, really ridiculous. Challenges (and Achievements) are sort of their own beasts, you'll do all sorts of things that usually aren't efficient for them.

Barring those exceptions, I don't buy upgrades unless the price is totally trivial- by which I mean less than a second's worth of production. All resources spent on upgrades are lost when you prestige them. That metal (or wood) is better spent on prestiges. I'll occasionally buy one or two on the very last zone or two before portalling, if I plan never to prestige again that game.

On production, realize that by level 10 or so the price to move workers between the first four jobs is utterly trivial. If you have a turkimp buff active, it's best to have all basic workers (those in those first four jobs) in one category and yourself working that category, as then all your workers get +50% production. Need both metal and food? Spending half the time with everyone in food and half with everyone in metal is better than splitting. Levels 15-65 or so I'll usually spend more time on food than metal(my dragimp needs tribute!), later levels go to all metal.

It's totally normal and expected to fall behind on Coordination levels. My coordination upgrade button shows 111(+31) at the moment.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
I'd go to a +0 schedule for a while and see if buying some quicker gigastations speeds things up enough that you'd want to continue. Zone 100 is a night-and-day change, for example completing the Frugal challenge thereafter gives you so much more production, for example +600% or so at Z88. Plus you'd get access to daily challenges.

That being said, it's only a game and if you're not having fun with your current game you should portal and do the more fun quicker early game stuff.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
So, is there a set of Heirlooms considered to be best? I've got two carrying spots, and two rare shields and staffs, and enough Nulifium to start upgrading them.
I'd probably by a few of the cheaper carrying slots. I haven't done much upgrading, except to add stats to blank slots (which is much cheaper than overwriting, by the way)

For a staff, you really want one that gives +metal drop rate and +miner efficiency, and something else good for the third spot, possibly food drops but it's not yet time to be picky. You might want to have a similar food/farmer staff and wood/lumberjack staff in reserve.

For a shield, I'm quite keen on the +void map drops statistic. More damage is always good, though the statistics are heavily weighted +Trimp attack >> +Crit damage >> + Crit chance. I like to have a good block shield available, and both direct block and trainer efficiency are good for that...though the wiki doesn't seem to agree with me on the usefulness of block. Block is awesome for difficult maps in my opinion, like void maps or unique maps.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Oh, one last postscript on the Realtor achievement- the hidden Holey achievement is also available for spending 250k on Wormholes. You'll be most of the way to another +10% achievement by getting Realtor.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
If you have a turkimp buff active, it's best to have all basic workers (those in those first four jobs) in one category and yourself working that category, as then all your workers get +50% production. Need both metal and food? Spending half the time with everyone in food and half with everyone in metal is better than splitting.
I don't know about anyone else, but I try to be as hands-off as possible. The time that I would have guys assigned to a turkimp buff would be pretty small given that I only check on the game every few hours or so, and then they would be left disproportionately distributed until I came back again for only *at most* 25 minutes of a buff. I really don't care much about overall speed, but the ratio of progress to time spent playing. The more time one spends playing, the less progress one makes per unit time devoted, since so much of the progress is through autobattling and collecting. Only for the first hour or so of each run will I stay focused on it, and that means I only portal when I have the free time to devote to start the next run, which might mean hanging in a run that's not particularly generating good He/hr just because it would be worse to leave it unattended right after portalling. Autostorage being moved right about to the level I was at was a huge boon too, allowing me to not have to dedicate so much of my resource pool to storage every time, and allowing it to be taken out as needed.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Has anyone managed the Survivor feat?

"Beat a Lv60+ Destructive void map with no deaths.
Reward +10% damage."

I spent ages buffing up enough to tackle this. Eventually when I was tough enough, I ran a void map at level 80. I beat it, without losing a single point of health. But no 10% reward. I don't get it.

I then ran three other maps, and beat two of them without damage. Still no reward.

I don't get it.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I'm doing Electricity, where I'm maxing out Birth Rate to compensate for the debuff. My staff is +Birth Rate and something else. +1% makes a huge difference.

Last edited by Knowed Out; 12-06-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:

Reward +10% damage."

I spent ages buffing up enough to tackle this. Eventually when I was tough enough, I ran a void map at level 80. I beat it, without losing a single point of health. But no 10% reward. I don't get it.

I then ran three other maps, and beat two of them without damage. Still no reward.

I don't get it.
Well, there are four prefixes (and four suffixes) to void map names and types. It would say Destructive in its name. You could get Deadly, Poisonous, Heinous, or Destructive. Maybe you haven't gotten a Destructive yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
I'm doing Electricity, where I'm maxing out Birth Rate to compensate for the debuff. My staff is +Birth Rate and something else. +1% makes a huge difference.
Haven't seen a birth rate heirloom. I'm doing Electricity too. I'm on Z72. With Venimp and some nurseries it really hasn't been much of a big deal. It's a little slower than usual because the enemies can kill me no matter what, but my breed time is faster than they can kill me so no biggie.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, there are four prefixes (and four suffixes) to void map names and types. It would say Destructive in its name. You could get Deadly, Poisonous, Heinous, or Destructive. Maybe you haven't gotten a Destructive yet.
Ah, I've not particularly noticed the names. Do any of the other names mean anything?
Old 12-06-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Ah, I've not particularly noticed the names. Do any of the other names mean anything?
Yes, all the names mean something: http://trimps.wikia.com/wiki/Void_Maps
Old 12-06-2016, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Once an achievement has a red flag can you still potentially go back and get it?
Old 12-07-2016, 12:44 AM

Quote:

Reward +10% damage."

I don't get it.
I've done it. As others have mentioned, you weren't on a Destructive map.

On a Destructive map, you lose 20% of your current health every time an enemy attacks. To elaborate on the rules of this, even if you don't take any other damage, when this constant multiplication by 80% takes your Trimp HP below one, the stack dies.

So you have to both get your block up high enough to never take direct damage, AND get your damage output up enough to kill your enemies quickly.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Once an achievement has a red flag can you still potentially go back and get it?
I'm not totally sure about the color scheme, but as far as I'm aware achievements don't become permanently unobtainable. I think they change color from yellow to red when you can no longer obtain them in your current run, but will go yellow again when you portal.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Haven't seen a birth rate heirloom. I'm doing Electricity too. I'm on Z72. With Venimp and some nurseries it really hasn't been much of a big deal. It's a little slower than usual because the enemies can kill me no matter what, but my breed time is faster than they can kill me so no biggie.
You can always replace a modifier with another one, but it costs six times the heirloom's worth.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:06 AM

If you happen to have an heirloom with an empty slot, you can add your choice of modifier for 'just' 2x, rather than the 6x replacement cost.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
You can always replace a modifier with another one, but it costs six times the heirloom's worth.
Quote:
If you happen to have an heirloom with an empty slot, you can add your choice of modifier for 'just' 2x, rather than the 6x replacement cost.
Yeah, I've gotten heirloom's with an empty slot. I thought, "what do I need that for?" and recycled 'em. I was also poking around the FAQ and discovered there are levels of heirlooms beyond rare, so it's probably early to think about upgrading too much.

Another question: I'm doing the Electricity challenge but am also thinking about trying to go for Z100, so would I get more helium by doing my Void maps at Z79 and letting them double, or get more helium by waiting for Z100?
Old 12-07-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Another question: I'm doing the Electricity challenge but am also thinking about trying to go for Z100, so would I get more helium by doing my Void maps at Z79 and letting them double, or get more helium by waiting for Z100?
Z100. Base, unmodified He for a void map at Z79 is 17752. Base, unmodified He for a void map at Z100 is 39482. Plus you're two whole brackets higher on the heirloom table.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

But if you're doing the electricity challenge, you get an additional 1.5 times the helium after completion. So that would be 44380 at 79.

Plus, it will be much easier at 79 than 100. Might be too tough at the limits of a run. I've had to abandon void maps after leaving it too late.

Are those numbers correct? I've done void maps at 80, and didn't get anywhere near 17752. What are the modifiers reducing it?
Old 12-07-2016, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

I just portalled and I was kicking ass, looking like I was going to finally get The Block cleared in under an hour... then I realized I was doing the Scientist II challenge and got totally hosed on all those Snimps and Gorillimps... spent more than an hour on just the second half of The Block map
Old 12-07-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
I just portalled and I was kicking ass, looking like I was going to finally get The Block cleared in under an hour... then I realized I was doing the Scientist II challenge and got totally hosed on all those Snimps and Gorillimps... spent more than an hour on just the second half of The Block map
The only challenge I ever totally hosed up was the first Scientist challenge. Didn't read the instructions.

Soon as I make Z90 I'll unlock Scientist III.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I was following the guide, so I knew I'd get there eventually but chipping away at those Snimps with barely enough Blk + Health was tedious. Definitely not for the speed runs!