Old 07-24-2019, 10:34 PM

Jojo Rabbit!

Trailer here.

Who's with me?

ETA:
Quote:
Writer director Taika Waititi (THOR: RAGNAROK, HUNT FOR THE WILDERPEOPLE), brings his signature style of humor and pathos to his latest film, JOJO RABBIT, a World War II satire that follows a lonely German boy (Roman Griffin Davis as JoJo) whose world view is turned upside down when he discovers his single mother (Scarlett Johansson) is hiding a young Jewish girl (Thomasin McKenzie) in their attic. Aided only by his idiotic imaginary friend, Adolf Hitler (Taika Waititi), Jojo must confront his blind nationalism.
I marked 18 October on my calendar!

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-24-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:15 PM

That sounds both odd and interesting. I'll keep an eye out.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:03 AM

Trailer and article with a bit of context on the film's background here.

A bit of his earlier work that people may not have seen.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:12 AM

This could end up being amazingly terrible or terribly amazing. And I have no idea which.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:38 AM

That Trailer left me openmouthed - latest when I realised Taika is playing Adolf himself! That is so out of the left field. And I just came back from Hearing he is doing Thor 4 AND probably Akira afterwards (as the Studio is ready to wait for him). Good times! That man has an aboslutely amazing Output at the Moment and never ceases to surprise me.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:06 AM
Charter Member

Somebody else mentioned somewhere that it looks like a Wes Anderson film but with proper jokes in, and it totally does. Taika doesn't really have a signature style cinematographically, but he definitely does structurally and comedically.

On a tenuously related note, I once worked on a movie that had Taika in it, before he was famous, and here's some info on it.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:21 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

All of his projects have been a huge hit with me, so I am very much looking forward to this!
Old 07-26-2019, 02:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisiate View Post
This could end up being amazingly terrible or terribly amazing. And I have no idea which.
I refuse to believe that the man who directed What We Do In The Shadows, Hunt For The Wilderpeople and Thor: Ragnarok could possibly direct anything terrible. The premise is strange, but I'm there opening day.

(I know he co-directed Shadows with Jemaine Clement)
Old 07-30-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equipoise View Post
I refuse to believe that the man who directed What We Do In The Shadows, Hunt For The Wilderpeople and Thor: Ragnarok could possibly direct anything terrible. The premise is strange, but I'm there opening day.

(I know he co-directed Shadows with Jemaine Clement)
He did Eagle Versus Shark which was absolutely horrible.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:23 PM

This film just had it's premier at the Toronto International Film Festival and according to this article, reactions were somewhat mixed. I think that's prolly normal for a film this far out of everyone's comfort zone, so I remain optimistic.
Quote:
Whether Waititi managed to pull it off was of considerable debate once his film did hit audiences Sunday night in Toronto. “Jojo Rabbit” was hailed as a masterpiece, Waititi’s eccentric opus and a worthy heir to Charlie Chaplin’s “The Dictator” by some, while others deemed it a badly misjudged misfire that awkwardly melds humor with atrocity no better than Roberto Benigni’s schmaltzy “Life Is Beautiful” did two decades before it.

Entertainment Weekly called it “an audacious piece of Third Reich whimsy that almost definitely shouldn’t work as well as it does.” Variety called it ”‘Life Is Beautiful’ made with attitude.’”

“Jojo Rabbit,” which Fox Searchlight will release Oct. 18, had come into Toronto one of the festival’s biggest question marks. It might leave that way, too.
Another 6 weeks and the rest of can see it and decide for ourselves, eh.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisiate View Post
The "dark comedy" aspect troubles me. Nearly all the alleged "dark comedies" I've seen in recent years are not at all funny. And with the Hitler thing, I think the odds of this being negatively received are going to be quite high.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:29 PM

Wait, the negative review compares it to "Life is beautiful"? lol, holy shit. What's the opposite of damning with faint praise?
Old 09-09-2019, 08:19 PM

Life Is Beautiful was, for me, an incredibly difficult film to watch and immediately went onto my list of Films I Am Glad I Watched But That I Don't Ever Want To See Again.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
Wait, the negative review compares it to "Life is beautiful"? lol, holy shit. What's the opposite of damning with faint praise?
Yeah, I don’t get how comparing a film to a Best Picture nominee (and Foreign Film winner) is supposed to be a negative.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:37 PM

Life Is Beautiful also made more than 10x it's budget.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 09-09-2019 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:31 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Yeah, that's sure not exactly a bad thing.

In any event, Waititi's got enough good will from me to bring me to the theater. I know a bunch of people will get uncomfortable seeing Hitler portrayed in this style but that's part of the message, I think. It'll be fun to see what he does with it.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post

On a tenuously related note, I once worked on a movie that had Taika in it, before he was famous, and here's some info on it.
On an even more tenuously related note, I once worked on a short film directed by Robert Sarkies (the director in GuanoLad's link), Dream Makers. I wonder if we have crossed paths in Dunedin?
Old 09-15-2019, 09:50 PM

This is encouraging: ‘Jojo Rabbit’ wins Toronto’s sought-after audience award.
Quote:
Taika Waititi’s Nazi Germany-set satire “Jojo Rabbit” won the People’s Choice award Sunday at the Toronto International Film Festival, a prize that has historically been one of the most ironclad predicators of Academy Awards chances.

Because so many of the top fall movies play in Toronto, the festival’s audience award has often been almost prophetic. For more than a decade, every People’s Choice winner has gone on to score a best-picture Oscar nomination. Last year’s winner, “Green Book,” eventually won best picture.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:59 PM

I didn't even know Sam Rockwell was in it until i saw him on a press tour....and then he was sitting in the back mostly being quiet!
Old 10-14-2019, 10:10 PM

Article/Interview with Taika Waititi:
Quote:
“I still don’t even really know how to describe it without making people shift uncomfortably,” says Waititi with a shrug.
Quote:
But Waititi, who’s Jewish and Maori, from the Te Whanau-a-Apanui tribe, has long delighted in melding light and dark, playful and serious. “I don’t like something where I feel like I know what’s going to happen next,” he says. “I like going from a fun moment to something tragic or shocking.”
Sam Rockwell chimes in too:
Quote:
Sam Rockwell, who plays the Hitler Youth camp leader Captain Klenzendorf, considers Waititi a visionary. “He was a smart. He had a little clout from ‘Thor’ and he was like, ‘Now I want to make this movie that nobody would make,’” says Rockwell.

Rockwell, a fan of Waititi’s previous film, was drawn to the part because it’s far from a typical Nazi. Klenzendorf, to him, had a Bill Murray vibe. “Like if Bill Murray was a disillusioned Nazi,” says Rockwell. “That was my sort of take on it. Like Walter Matthau in ‘Bad News Bears,’ a little Richard Pryor in ‘Bustin’ Loose.’”

“It’s a very unique film,” muses Rockwell. “You can’t really put your finger on it.”
Old 10-15-2019, 04:59 PM

It's now appearing on RT's releases for this week. 81% overall (over 100 reviews) but only 55% among top critics (20 so far). That's a pretty hefty gap. It means the non-top folk really love this movie. It seems that the top folk think it's a bit tame compared to what it should have been. (Maybe they should have thrown in Goebbels.)
Old 10-15-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
I saw Jojo a while ago and Benigni's film was exactly the first film that came to mind as a point of comparison. For me, that's not such a good thing but there are those who love that film so YMMV.

I love Taika's other features and while this is unquestionably the most ambitious, I find it the least successful and most muddled (for reasons impossible to discuss without spoilers). The best part of it is his portrayal of "Hitler" (not the man, just the icon in Jojo's imagination).

I guess my biggest surprise was how safe he plays it. It's a subject for some truly biting and subversive satire, but the hits are broad and obvious, and nowhere near as risky as I'd hoped. Given that we live in the shadow of rising fascism across the globe, the last thing I wanted was something warm & fuzzy but ultimately, that is how I'd characterize it.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:17 AM

Actually, Life is Beautiful is a fair comparison. At RT it's 80% all critics, 56% top critics. So it makes a lot of sense that there might be a good number of such critics who won't like either movie. (And I hated it and the terrible mugging the star did instead of acting.)
Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM

Just saw this tonight and wow it’s definitely in my top films of the year! I wasn’t really sure what to expect but damn, that was good! It’s funny and tragic and heartfelt and disturbing and hilarious.

This has been quite the excellent moviegoing weekend so far. The Lighthouse yesterday, Jojo tonight and then Parasite tomorrow.
Old Yesterday, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
The Lighthouse yesterday, Jojo tonight and then Parasite tomorrow.
Sigh, [jealous emoji]