Old 08-28-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
So somehow I brought a 2000oF piece of iron into my kitchen storage bin and in started melting everything and burning any dupes who tried to pick it up or even enter the room. I ended up having to "China syndrome" it out of by base by removing the floor under it.

I'm surprised they haven't made fires and explosions a thing.
That's amazing!!
Old 08-28-2019, 01:06 PM

Gag, sorry about my last post, wrong thread.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeepKillBeep View Post
That's amazing!!
Yeah, I had no idea what was going on. I thought my kitchen equipment was overheating or something but then I saw it was like 1000 degrees! The entire kitchen was destroyed. My floors where covered with molten phosphorus! How do you get rid of that?!

Best I can figure, one of the dupes picked it up while wearing an environ suit when I was screwing around trying to create an automatic process with my iron volcano smack in the middle of my base. Doesn't really work since the heat destroys any equipment I put in there.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:45 PM

I'm really curious to see everyone's bases. Don't be shy about posting them, especially in high resolution. You might think your base is nothing to scoff at but others might find it interesting.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
Yeah, I had no idea what was going on. I thought my kitchen equipment was overheating or something but then I saw it was like 1000 degrees! The entire kitchen was destroyed. My floors where covered with molten phosphorus! How do you get rid of that?!

Best I can figure, one of the dupes picked it up while wearing an environ suit when I was screwing around trying to create an automatic process with my iron volcano smack in the middle of my base. Doesn't really work since the heat destroys any equipment I put in there.
The funny thing is I just unearthed an iron volcano. And laying at it's foot is some obsidian. 1600 degrees C! So I just quietly remove permissions to go through the airlock, and we never speak of the volcano anymore.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
I'm really curious to see everyone's bases. Don't be shy about posting them, especially in high resolution. You might think your base is nothing to scoff at but others might find it interesting.
I've not found a good way to get a photo of the entire thing. I can post photos of some interesting locales though.

Oh Jebus. I turned my back for one second (to post this) and my dupes have dug through a salt water repository. They just dumped about 30 tonnes of salt water into my base.

D'oh!
Old 08-28-2019, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

I'm around cycle 500 in my base. It's the base on Easy mode: between a cool slush geyser, three really-accessible nullifiers, and three polluted oxygen vents, my water and O2 needs are more than met. Two big hydros and a natural gas give me all my electricity (and my cooling system for a magma-heated oil pool is supplying so much steam energy that all the other sources are nearly inactive). And my map is slime-ridden and metal-rich, meaning I have plenty to feed my shrooms and no end to any metal I want.

I just got back my second steam rocket, and ironically feel like I'm running out of steam. It's been a few days since I've gone back in.

I think I'll need to transition to a different food source soon, though: I'm seeing an end to slime in the next ~100 cycles. Unless Space Slime is a reliable source, things are gonna get hairy. If I find the energy to go back in.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:01 PM

I learnt something critically important today. You almost certainly know this, but you know how a valve acts as a line unification/combination. I wonder why there was no equivalent for splitting. Sure you can make T-junctions and such but they can be finicky. Well, the bridge is a splitter. If you build multiple lines coming from a bridge it will split evenly every time.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:36 AM

I discovered there were 22 tonnes of superheated iron (not iron ore) in the volcano room. 22 TONNES of refined metal! I must has my precious metals.

The problem is the metal is sitting at about 1000-1200 degrees C.

Hmmm.

So this may not be the best solution but I took my industrial waste water, which was sitting about 80 to 90 degrees, and instead of venting it into space, I dumped it on the volcano. It may be hot, but it is way cooler than the iron. Even dumping it was tricky though, since anything put in the volcano room would melt when it erupted as the air would reach 600+ degrees. I built an airlock above the volcano and one under the volcano. I set the automation such that when there is a few tonnes of water (not too much, I don't want that hot water sitting around in my base) I dump it onto the volcano. *Phoosh* instant steam, but it was still cooling the iron down. Eventually it would settle as water at the bottom. Then a second airlock would open to let the water out, and it was on its merry way to space at a blistering 95+ degrees. Insulated pipes until out of the base. I checked and by the time it reached space it was STILL 60 degrees!! Yikes! The second airlock is currently operated by a switch. I have not yet determined a good condition upon which to open it.

Anyway, I got 10 tonnes of iron so far out of the volcano room (plus tonnes of obsidian and other materials). That's a staggering reduction in the need to run the metal refineries! It is still hot. About 150 degrees. What I would like to do is run a conveyor system to move it to a far corner of the map to cool, and then conveyor it back. I've literally never built a conveyor system so this should be a fun time with lots of trial and error I'm sure.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:02 AM

I made a few little changes. First, now there is no bottom airlock. Any water not instantly flash steamed just falls out the bottoms. That's fine. I think I can now make a steam generator on top of the volcano. The steam is sitting at about 115 degrees or so, but I'm not trying to heat it currently. I should be able to get it to 125 easily.

Oh wait, I don't have plastics yet.

D'oh!

That will be the project for tonight. Get plastics, build steam generator(s).
Old 08-29-2019, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I made a few little changes. First, now there is no bottom airlock. Any water not instantly flash steamed just falls out the bottoms. That's fine. I think I can now make a steam generator on top of the volcano. The steam is sitting at about 115 degrees or so, but I'm not trying to heat it currently. I should be able to get it to 125 easily.

Oh wait, I don't have plastics yet.

D'oh!

That will be the project for tonight. Get plastics, build steam generator(s).
For plastics, I highly recommend breeding glossy dreckos. It takes awhile to get going, but I'm at cycle 500 and have never manufactured plastic and have far more sitting around than I need.

With that amount of heat, you may be able to make multiple steam turbines that pump the cooled water back into the chamber: once you get the chamber started successfully, it can be self-maintaining, generating tremendous amounts of power. Worth considering? That's what I set up for cooling my oil pool (which admittedly was at a lower temperature, so it was easier to set up initially).
Old 08-29-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
For plastics, I highly recommend breeding glossy dreckos. It takes awhile to get going, but I'm at cycle 500 and have never manufactured plastic and have far more sitting around than I need.

With that amount of heat, you may be able to make multiple steam turbines that pump the cooled water back into the chamber: once you get the chamber started successfully, it can be self-maintaining, generating tremendous amounts of power. Worth considering? That's what I set up for cooling my oil pool (which admittedly was at a lower temperature, so it was easier to set up initially).
Yeah that's the plan. It wasn't the original plan, all I wanted was the sweet sweet iron. But after building it, I see that it will make a great steam generator room.

I'm pretty close to the oil layer, so I should be able to get plastics more quickly from oil. But I don't think I've ever had a glossy Drecko, so I'll have to consider expanding my ranches (currently just hatches, I had a slickster but he died before producing much oil )
Old 08-29-2019, 02:13 PM

Oooooo I just found a copper volcano.

I cannot promise that no dupes will be burned in the process of taming the volcano, but I cannot promise all the copper you can eat!
Old 08-29-2019, 02:25 PM

The iron volcano is now producing glass all on its own. I think steaming the polluted water is producing sand, and then the sand is being melted into glass. Best. Volcano. Ever.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:49 PM

I'd like to get more Shine Bugs in my bristle berry farm as they are a heatless light source. But there doesn't seem to be a way to wrangle more of them in the farm? Incubator?
Old 08-29-2019, 07:32 PM

Incubator for the win! After the egg hatches the rancher grabs it and delivers it to the drop off point. Woot!
Old 08-30-2019, 12:43 PM

Based failed at about cycle 350. A flawed experiment with converting crude oil to petroleum want awry. Seriously awry. Like equivalent to me accidentally creating Skynet. I ended up with a third of my base filled with sour gas. I had to flood the base to turn off the runaway problems (it was Chernobyl-esque and quite fun). This made a frak ton of steam that covered about 20% of the base. I was really relying on switching from natural gas to petroleum for power as both my NG geysers were going dormant in an overlap of about 30-35 cycles. Once that failed, I desperately tried to switch to steam. I used the petroleum I had to make plastics for two steam generators. 1700 W isn't a lot but it might have been enough to keep the oxygen flowing and support other critical systems. Somehow (ok maybe it was when I intentionally flooded my base) salt water got into my oxygen production lines. I didn't notice so my electolyzers all failed. By this point I didn't have electricity to run them anyway. My coal was near exhausted. Hydrogen generators were offline because the electrolyzers were destroyed. Many of dupes had got badly burned in the petroleum disaster, and that cost me a lot of time healing them back up. Everything just spiraled out of control. By 337, there was nearly no oxygen left in the base. I could hypothetically make algae terrariums, but I learnt so much from this past run, that I'm eager to start over. Normally, I do a new seed with each run, but I'm tempted to try this one again. I like to switch seeds so that I won't know where things are located on the map. It makes for some very ... ummm ... fun surprises.

Last edited by BeepKillBeep; 08-30-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

I've been going through and whacking out giant sections of fucked up piping, trying to re-pipe things more efficiently. Also trying to squirrel away some of my excess water: what I thought was a great blessing is becoming a little difficult to manage.

Is there a reasonable use for a shitload of hot (like 70 degree) salt water, if you already have copious water from elsewhere? I have a salt-water geyser that I've deliberately allowed to get overpressure, after it spent the first few hundred cycles gifting me with a scalding ocean.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
I've been going through and whacking out giant sections of fucked up piping, trying to re-pipe things more efficiently. Also trying to squirrel away some of my excess water: what I thought was a great blessing is becoming a little difficult to manage.

Is there a reasonable use for a shitload of hot (like 70 degree) salt water, if you already have copious water from elsewhere? I have a salt-water geyser that I've deliberately allowed to get overpressure, after it spent the first few hundred cycles gifting me with a scalding ocean.
You could evaporate it for the salt if you need it, then space the steam?

Probably could just space it. In the unlikely case you need it again, you can always turn off the pump to space.

In my new game (I ended up on a new world), I have a leaky oil fissure. My first time encountering one of these. This thing is great! It outputs a small amount of crude oil, but without a need for an oil well. It is just enough to use for some plastics, and maybe as a coolant.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:23 AM

To what degree do you overload your circuits? Do you make them so that have an absolute maximum of 1000W or 2000W or do you allow for some statistical unlikely overloading. I know, for example, you can put mechanical airlocks on a circuit and they're very unlikely to cause an overload because they flick on/off so fast. However, other devices tend to act that way as well. I design my circuits to have 960W not including mechanical airlocks (getting to exactly 1000W is hard ;P) but I'm wondering if maybe I should be a bit more aggressive at having the risk of an overload, but it being unlikely.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
To what degree do you overload your circuits? Do you make them so that have an absolute maximum of 1000W or 2000W or do you allow for some statistical unlikely overloading. I know, for example, you can put mechanical airlocks on a circuit and they're very unlikely to cause an overload because they flick on/off so fast. However, other devices tend to act that way as well. I design my circuits to have 960W not including mechanical airlocks (getting to exactly 1000W is hard ;P) but I'm wondering if maybe I should be a bit more aggressive at having the risk of an overload, but it being unlikely.
I try not to but I sometimes break that rule. It's possible that it will happen and I don't want to have to allocate time to thinking about and checking for that sort of stuff. A big part of the game is taking the time and resources to do things that will save you time and resources over time. Overloading goes against that.

But sometimes I get lazy.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

I don't think of occasional overloads as a big deal, so I don't plan too much for it; but if it's happening regularly, I reroute some wires.

It leads to a messy-looking wiry mess, so I'm not saying i recommend this approach .
Old 08-31-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
I try not to but I sometimes break that rule. It's possible that it will happen and I don't want to have to allocate time to thinking about and checking for that sort of stuff. A big part of the game is taking the time and resources to do things that will save you time and resources over time. Overloading goes against that.

But sometimes I get lazy.
True, but it saves you transformers. And transformers save you heat. And heat is a bitch.

I tried it this time around, and it is working really well. It is true I need to take some time to carefully consider realistically what the power load will be but so far I've had zero damaged wires. Most of my networks are running at a constant 480-600W-ish instead of the more typical 240-360W-ish. That's half the number of transformers, and so half the heat.

Is it worth it? I'm still undecided. I know eventually I'm going to bring the base to a shutdown from all the circuits blowing up. But it'll be spectacular!
Old 08-31-2019, 12:49 PM

I just found my first anti-entropy device on this map. And not a moment too soon. Things we're starting to get real hot in here.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:34 PM

Does anybody else feel like you completed a real great wonder (like in Civ) when you complete a major construction project? Building the base cooling system is such a massive undertaking. I don't know about you but it usually takes me about 40 cycles or more. And when it is done. Oh wow, it feels so impressive!

Especially when it works, which is one of the things I like about this game. Not everything works. Like my failed attempt with crude oil yesterday. But oh, when it works, I could do the dance of joy! I feel like $1,000,000 (US or CAD your choice)! It is truly satisfying. Anybody else get that?
Old 08-31-2019, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Absolutely! There's a lot of tweaking and half-working and kluged together systems; and I spend a lot of time figuring out why the hell a particular system isn't working, or just swearing and tearing it down and rebuilding it so it works. But when I finally see things come together, it's pure joy.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:48 AM

3 AM. That is all.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
3 AM. That is all.

I'm still using the "Surviving the __ game" series of guides. But what I'd really like is a set of plain-language tutorials on new systems. How do rockets work, and what should you think about when setting up a launch pad and building one? How does automatic shipping work? How does automation work?

These systems are pretty opaque, and it takes me a long time to figure out what's going on. I'd love to have a beginning explanation that gets me started on informed experimentation sooner, instead of discovering the problem only after I've built something and have to tear it all down.

Next project: figure out shipping, so I can use solid transport rockets.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:

I'm still using the "Surviving the __ game" series of guides. But what I'd really like is a set of plain-language tutorials on new systems. How do rockets work, and what should you think about when setting up a launch pad and building one? How does automatic shipping work? How does automation work?

These systems are pretty opaque, and it takes me a long time to figure out what's going on. I'd love to have a beginning explanation that gets me started on informed experimentation sooner, instead of discovering the problem only after I've built something and have to tear it all down.

Next project: figure out shipping, so I can use solid transport rockets.
Yes, some information would be useful. I don't mind the trial and error but it would be nice to at least know the basics of how something works. I never did set up the conveyor system in that other base, so I still don't know exactly how it works. I don't want to look it up, because I feel like I'll end up with too much information. I don't want an optimized view, just the basics. The wiki isn't too bad, which will provide some hints and information on how something works.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:51 PM

I would kill for two QoL improvements. Probably more, but these two come to mind right now. I wonder if the devs look at this thread at all?

1. I wish I could make pipes and especially gas lines have a color. Let me do this at the design time. E.g. make the "red line" my vent to space. Make my "blue line" my intended oxygen line. Etc.
2. Let me make a note in an area. "Future rec room", "Balm lily farm", etc.
Old 09-01-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
1. I wish I could make pipes and especially gas lines have a color. Let me do this at the design time. E.g. make the "red line" my vent to space. Make my "blue line" my intended oxygen line. Etc.
You may want to check the mods - there's one that colors buildings by the material they're constructed from. I dunno if pipes are one of the things changed, though.
Old 09-01-2019, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unpronounceable View Post
You may want to check the mods - there's one that colors buildings by the material they're constructed from. I dunno if pipes are one of the things changed, though.
That would be pretty cool, but it'd also be amazing to be able to "paint" the pipes. I know which pipes are for polluted water when they're full, but when they're not, it can get hard to tell.

Ideally I'd like two painting methods:
1) When I build a pipe, I can select a color to build it in, and all the pipes I build are shaded that color until I choose a different color.
2) The "dye-packet" method: place a color at a junction, and it'd automatically sweep downstream on the pipe. Would make it much easier to see what's going to happen when you connect the pipe to a source, without creating an enormous mess.
Old 09-01-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
That would be pretty cool, but it'd also be amazing to be able to "paint" the pipes. I know which pipes are for polluted water when they're full, but when they're not, it can get hard to tell.

Ideally I'd like two painting methods:
1) When I build a pipe, I can select a color to build it in, and all the pipes I build are shaded that color until I choose a different color.
2) The "dye-packet" method: place a color at a junction, and it'd automatically sweep downstream on the pipe. Would make it much easier to see what's going to happen when you connect the pipe to a source, without creating an enormous mess.
I couldn't figure out multi quote. Showing by material would but but kind of locks you into using particular materials for particular pipes. What a pain. And heaven help me if I ever forget and use the wrong material.

Yeah, what LHoD says! That would be awesome.

My inspiration are the mass transit lines in Cities Skylines. It is so incredibly easy to see a glance what mass transit you have going where because you can color each line individually. Generally I make all the ones of the same type have a similar but distinct color.

It would really be a nice improvement for ONI.
Old 09-01-2019, 05:08 PM

The other thing I would love to see is a report that shows you have much of something you used on the previous day. The colony summary has some of the information but not enough.

For example, I have 30 tonnes of algae. Is that a lot? More importantly, is it enough to last until I switch to elecrolyzers? It is hard to say, and it would be nice to get as part of the report. You used 2.9 tonnes of algae last cycle. Oh. Umm. And 3 tonnes the cycle before. Hmm... I guess I better get ready to switch or find more algae.

Pie in the sky, I'd like to be able to set warnings for some materials. Dirt, bleach stone, algae, that would tell me when I have less than 10 cycles (or whatever) remaining given current usage. Of course, having this for all materials would be impossible and even irksome.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:36 AM

Do you ever notice how at the start of the game you use 9 priorities and rarely priority 10, but by the mid/end game there is only priority 9 and 10?

Or is that just me ;P
Old 09-03-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Do you ever notice how at the start of the game you use 9 priorities and rarely priority 10, but by the mid/end game there is only priority 9 and 10?
I definitely did that at first, but eventually trained myself to not cause priority inflation. Hard not to get into that habit, though.

In terms of feature requests, I'd like to have automatable alerts. Just a siren or something hooked up to an automation wire. Then I can easily know if some resource is too low, or too high, or whatever.

Screenshot of my full base (watch out--it's big)
Old 09-04-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
I definitely did that at first, but eventually trained myself to not cause priority inflation. Hard not to get into that habit, though.

In terms of feature requests, I'd like to have automatable alerts. Just a siren or something hooked up to an automation wire. Then I can easily know if some resource is too low, or too high, or whatever.

Screenshot of my full base (watch out--it's big)
Amazing base. I'll try to take a screenshot of mine tonight. I'm currently transitioning to full steam power from steam/hydrogen/natural gas. I have two steam turbines being built over volcanoes that are dormant. And I have five turbines being built in oil regions. With all of those running at 50% I should be fine let alone with them running at full power.

I've had near zero issues using a statistical overloading technique on my grids. I'm using a fraction of the transformers that I would normally use. Definitely less than a quarter. It is strange seeing grids with potential output 2500W, but no overloads. Well, that's not true I did have a couple of overloads here and there when I did something foolish. For example, I had four massage tables on one grid figuring, what would be the odds all four tables would get used at once? Well, of course, it happened and blew the grid. So now I separate the tables. Also, I put a metal refinery on the same conductive wire grid as my plastic production. That was silly and of course blew up. But so long as I do a careful analysis, I can keep under the 1KW/2KW limits with very few transformers.

Also, the past couple of days I've been managing the priorities better. I've been thinking in terms of projects. A class 9 project is something which is vital to the survival of the base, and must be done immediately (but is not an emergency class 10 project). Class 9 projects need to be small. Class 8 project is the an important project that overrides the current task. Class 8 projects are the "current task". Class 7 projects are quality of life projects. Class 6 projects are long term projects, that will probably be upgraded to 8 later. And so on.

Finally, I've started thinking in terms of energy. I guess it is because I'm moving to steam power. I don't see 300 degree C gas. No I see that it is energy, and I want to move that energy from here to there, so how do I do it? I don't care if the physical gas gets moved, I just want to move its powa'.

Love this game! It is now my #4 played game of all time beating out Civilization V. Well over 300 hours now, so about a third of the way to becoming #1. (ignoring subscriptions games like WoW).

Last edited by BeepKillBeep; 09-04-2019 at 07:00 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:14 PM

I tried to get a screenshot, but my playback thingy seems to be bugged and it gets stuck at cycle 156 or so.

Patch today so I'll try it again.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:21 PM

Noooooooooooooo! This update killed my base. My entire food production revolved around lettuce, and now lettuce won't grow because it is bugged.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I've had near zero issues using a statistical overloading technique on my grids.
That's pretty much my approach as well. The only exception are a few careful builds, particularly gas liquifiers, that I really don't want to have to repair. So I dedicate a full transformer to those.

Quote:
Noooooooooooooo! This update killed my base. My entire food production revolved around lettuce, and now lettuce won't grow because it is bugged.
What happened here? I know they nerfed lettuce earlier, but I don't see any changes in the latest hotfix. I've avoided it since they started requiring bleach stone, and I haven't felt like setting up the production for that.

Quote:
I tried to get a screenshot, but my playback thingy seems to be bugged and it gets stuck at cycle 156 or so.
Playback thingy? Not sure what you're referring to here. You can press alt-S to put it in screenshot mode and then F12 to take the shot (through Steam). I actually took several overlapping screenshots and then used the MS Image Composite Editor to auto-stitch them together, but that's probably overkill.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
That's pretty much my approach as well. The only exception are a few careful builds, particularly gas liquifiers, that I really don't want to have to repair. So I dedicate a full transformer to those.

What happened here? I know they nerfed lettuce earlier, but I don't see any changes in the latest hotfix. I've avoided it since they started requiring bleach stone, and I haven't felt like setting up the production for that.

Playback thingy? Not sure what you're referring to here. You can press alt-S to put it in screenshot mode and then F12 to take the shot (through Steam). I actually took several overlapping screenshots and then used the MS Image Composite Editor to auto-stitch them together, but that's probably overkill.
https://forums.kleientertainment.com...nymore-r21853/

Waterweed doesn't grow anymore. The bug says wild, but it is domestic too.

I'm trying to think if I can rip out my waterweed and switch to another food type.

This is my best base so far, so I'm don't want to lose it.

Maybe I'll start another one just in case.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I'm trying to think if I can rip out my waterweed and switch to another food type.
What other foods do you have? I'm mostly on peppernut+berry. I recently added sleet wheat but it's tough and I wouldn't recommend it except as a challenge (it requires very fine temperature control).

How's your morale in general? Can you afford to go with some low-grade food for a while? Bristle berry is easy if you have a plentiful source of cool water (~25 C, ideally). If not, you'll need a water chiller. Not too hard but also not a quick build.

Mushrooms might tide you over if you have a CO2 pit of some kind and slime.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
What other foods do you have? I'm mostly on peppernut+berry. I recently added sleet wheat but it's tough and I wouldn't recommend it except as a challenge (it requires very fine temperature control).

How's your morale in general? Can you afford to go with some low-grade food for a while? Bristle berry is easy if you have a plentiful source of cool water (~25 C, ideally). If not, you'll need a water chiller. Not too hard but also not a quick build.

Mushrooms might tide you over if you have a CO2 pit of some kind and slime.
I'd have to go berries, but as you say, I don't have the cool water to do it. I literally have *no* sleet wheat seeds from my entire map. Can you imagine the odds??? I built the cooler for them and I have *NO* seeds. LOL! I'm sure I could adjust to the situation, but I don't like having to adjust to bugs, just disasters of my own making. (of which there are plenty)

Anyway, it is fine, I've started a new map to put everything I've learnt in the last map in practice. Maybe I'll enjoy this base even more than the last one. I did have quite a few issues converting to steam power last time but I think I have them all nailed down now. So I want to see if I can make the conversion to steam smoothly this time.

New seed is OCAN-A-1287273025-0 for anybody interested.

Last edited by BeepKillBeep; 09-04-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:07 PM

Sigh. Plants in pots don't generate decor due to a bug either. That makes the early Great Hall harder to make. This is a very low quality patch.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:12 PM

Well, the printing pod will occasionally spit out sleet wheat seeds if you really don't have any at all. But that's pretty surprising--you've excavated every ice biome? Maybe your dupes just ate them all .

If you're looking for things to try, give arbor trees a shot. They generate lots of lumber, which can be converted to ethanol and then burned. The distillers use lots of energy but also produce more than enough ethanol to power themselves. You can also ranch Pips in your tree farm. I started ranching them for dirt but it produced lots of power as a side effect. It needs a somewhat sophisticated conveyor system to be efficient, though.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:45 AM

I took some more screenshots of my base in different overlays:
Normal
Electric
Thermal
Liquid
Gas
Room
Automation
Conveyor
Old 09-05-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
I took some more screenshots of my base in different overlays:
Normal
Electric
Thermal
Liquid
Gas
Room
Automation
Conveyor
That's pretty cool.

Looking at your liquid and gas lines, I see quite a bit of radiant piping. I've not had a lot of success using radiant piping for cooling, but it seems to work really well for heating the contents. Do you use radiance for cooling much? I mainly rely on cooling oxygen or hydrogen and pumping it into the area I want to cool. It seems to work well, but it could always work better because I'm at the whims of where the gas moves. In my last base, I was actually just starting to build a series of mini pumps to move small amounts of gas to encourage gas movement to the lower pressure created by the loss of the gas. It actually seemed to be working very well.

My new base is definitely my strongest first 40 cycles. Two food sources set up (mealwood and mushrooms). Less food waste than normal (I often make too much food early). The base is fully insulated. Batteries are external to the base. Early heat sources (stove, super computer and compost) are higher up than normal and fully insulated.

Last edited by BeepKillBeep; 09-05-2019 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:13 PM

Oh yeah, I definitely use a lot of radiant piping. Not much gas piping at this point, since I've somewhat outgrown the thermo nullifiers, but back when I was using them they transported nice cool hydrogen. I usually ran the hydrogen through radiant pipes in a water tank to cool it down.

Now, most of my cooling comes from aquatuner/steam turbine systems. There's an inner loop of supercoolant and a separate loop of whatever it is I want to cool (usually water, but sometimes other stuff). In any case, it works well. Liquids have a great heat capacity and exchange temperature without outside materials well (whether gas or liquid).

You might notice my main base maintains a comfy green temperature for most of the living areas. I keep a water reservoir cooled down to 18 C and periodically pulse some of it through radiant pipes running through the base. Even running at only a 1/3 duty cycle, it keeps everything quite comfortable.

I also use the radiant piping for various heat exchangers. For example, my oil->petroleum->sour gas->methane->natural gas conversion has heat exchangers between the oil and petroleum, and between the sour gas and natural gas. These both use radiant piping. They dramatically increase the efficiency of the whole system since some parts run at low temp and some at high. Wasting that heat would require more cooling/heating power and then require additional cooling on its own.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:31 PM

Yay! Hotfix patch released!
Old 09-05-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah, I definitely use a lot of radiant piping. Not much gas piping at this point, since I've somewhat outgrown the thermo nullifiers, but back when I was using them they transported nice cool hydrogen. I usually ran the hydrogen through radiant pipes in a water tank to cool it down.

Now, most of my cooling comes from aquatuner/steam turbine systems. There's an inner loop of supercoolant and a separate loop of whatever it is I want to cool (usually water, but sometimes other stuff). In any case, it works well. Liquids have a great heat capacity and exchange temperature without outside materials well (whether gas or liquid).

You might notice my main base maintains a comfy green temperature for most of the living areas. I keep a water reservoir cooled down to 18 C and periodically pulse some of it through radiant pipes running through the base. Even running at only a 1/3 duty cycle, it keeps everything quite comfortable.

I also use the radiant piping for various heat exchangers. For example, my oil->petroleum->sour gas->methane->natural gas conversion has heat exchangers between the oil and petroleum, and between the sour gas and natural gas. These both use radiant piping. They dramatically increase the efficiency of the whole system since some parts run at low temp and some at high. Wasting that heat would require more cooling/heating power and then require additional cooling on its own.
Interesting. Thanks! I tried doing that, but my first attempts at never really worked very, and I'm not quite sure why. It felt like I would do little more than change the contents, as opposed to the environment I was trying to heat/cool.

I'll have to try it again sometime since I know it can be done.