Old 01-04-2019, 04:51 PM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46757165

An unnamed England football player under investigation for being kicked out of a club for doing cocaine.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:32 PM

Courtois and Navas shouldn't be on the same team, even if it's as high profile a squad as Real Madrid - they're way too good to not to start every game.

Temporarily stymied as to what other squad could come even close to having such elite goalies. (The French national team when they had weirdo Barbez and Coupet?)
Old 01-04-2019, 06:58 PM

Brutal - that should be Barthez.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
Courtois and Navas shouldn't be on the same team, even if it's as high profile a squad as Real Madrid - they're way too good to not to start every game.

Temporarily stymied as to what other squad could come even close to having such elite goalies. (The French national team when they had weirdo Barbez and Coupet?)
Wasn't Courtois Cech's understudy at Chelsea for quite a while? Though of course, he probably wasn't as good back then. I seem to remember Pagliuca and Buffon fighting over the Italy #1 jersey for quite a while in the early 00s. But you're right, there aren't many examples, especially in club football (for obvious reasons).
Old 01-19-2019, 10:59 AM

little trivia tidbit - Man U has conceded more corner gals than anyone else.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:44 AM

Can I just say that today's result in the Wolverhampton v Leicester City game sucked!? Sometimes, I hate football.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
little trivia tidbit - Man U has conceded more corner gals than anyone else.
Manchester gals are the easiest of all.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Crazy day!! Newcastle beats Man City and Burnley comes so close, up 2-0 versus Man U, but it ended in a 2-2 draw.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:47 PM

Great fightback at the end by Man. U. My son was horribly depressed, and then, in the space of ten minutes, not.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
Great fightback at the end by Man. U. My son was horribly depressed, and then, in the space of ten minutes, not.

One of my good friends is a Burnley fan and he was the opposite.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:17 PM

If Liverpool win tomorrow, that'll be a wrap barring an epic collapse. I definitely thought we were going to see the first repeat champion in a while.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:47 PM

Na-ha...City lose to the Magpies yesterday. For such a moneyed team you'd think their defense could be a little more solid.
I think I've yet to see de Bruyne make an errant pass or get dispossessed this season. Every game, he pulls off at least a couple "whoa" through passes. (He should've gotten a second yellow for his toe clip later in that game.)
Old 02-12-2019, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

RIP Gordon Banks.

https://youtu.be/ngE9RCAdWaE
Old 02-24-2019, 01:26 PM

Claude Puel out at Leicester City. About time. He didn't seem to be able to articulate a consistent strategy that maximized the potential of the players available. Good results against the top teams always followed by poor results against the smaller fry in the League; getting hammered 4-1 at home by Palace a classic example.

Rumors indicate Brendan Rogers might be in line to step in. I would approve of that.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:21 AM

And Brendan Rodgers is in. A good choice. Should perk the club up and arguably give them a shot at going even higher next season.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:28 PM

Huh, seeing Van Dijk getting a brace a couple days ago against Twatford. Two headers in a row. Probably helps being tall.

Will City overtake Liverpool for the Prem title?

Thanks, Mr. Trippier, for the insurance OG for my Blues. Spurs' chances to be at the top of the league looking to be a lot more daunting for them now.

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 03-01-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:02 AM

Didn't know I'd resort to separated-at-birth observations, but come on...
Seriously?
Old 03-02-2019, 12:51 PM

Five goals at Old Trafford today that were marvelous. Every one of them a contender for highlight reels. Amazing to watch!
Old 03-03-2019, 04:58 AM

Dortmund are totally blowing it
Old 03-04-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santelia View Post
Dortmund are totally blowing it
They are, but it shouldn't be that surprising, and sites like fivethirtyeight always had them as underdogs to win the league even when they had an 8 or 9 point lead.

Alcacer's goal scoring early on wasn't sustainable for a 2014 Ronaldo, let alone a guy that was rightly not valued by Barca. Reus is fragile, and Sancho isn't ready to carry a team on his shoulders.

I imagine Sancho is gone in the summer. It'll be interesting to see what they do to retool. They've had an incredible amount of transfer money come in the past couple years.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:27 AM

Ajax boots Real Madrid out of CL.

Like everyone's saying, Modric is no substitute for Ronaldo.
Courtois hasn't been all that special since leaving Chelsea.
The young player, Vinicius, though, has been nice to watch (except for him openly bawling his head off while coming off the pitch, injured, against Ajax).
Old 03-06-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Ajax boots Real Madrid out of CL.

Like everyone's saying, Modric is no substitute for Ronaldo.
Courtois hasn't been all that special since leaving Chelsea.
The young player, Vinicius, though, has been nice to watch (except for him openly bawling his head off while coming off the pitch, injured, against Ajax).
Why would anyone have said Modric is a Ronaldo replacement? They don't remotely play the same position.

I do find their struggles somewhat puzzling. Ronaldo is a gigantic hole to fill, sure, but the talent on the rest of the team is still super high. You have Isco and Marcelo on the bench! I guess enough of the offense was flowing through Ronaldo that adjusting to a more equitable flow of offense is tougher than I was expecting. I expect them, ManU, and Chelsea (pending transfer ban appeals) to spend a ridiculous amount of money over the summer.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
Why would anyone have said Modric is a Ronaldo replacement? They don't remotely play the same position.

I do find their struggles somewhat puzzling. Ronaldo is a gigantic hole to fill, sure, but the talent on the rest of the team is still super high. You have Isco and Marcelo on the bench! I guess enough of the offense was flowing through Ronaldo that adjusting to a more equitable flow of offense is tougher than I was expecting. I expect them, ManU, and Chelsea (pending transfer ban appeals) to spend a ridiculous amount of money over the summer.
The fans (of which I'm not one) didn't expect Modric to be the goal-scoring replacement for Ronaldo, but at the time CR went to Juventus, they somewhat unreasonably expected this year's Ballon d'Or winner to further shore up the offense, to which many (again, unreasonably) felt he fell short of expectations. An oft-injured (and alienated/alienating) Bale and strangely underperforming Isco and Asencio are major contributors to RM's bleak situation, to be sure.

Been hearing rumblings that Mourinho might be back at the helm of RM next season.
Heh - I like Solari's reaction to that:

Quote:
"Mourinho? This club has always had more suitors than Julia Roberts."

"Our season has been a piece of shit." - RM's Carvajal
Old 03-06-2019, 05:03 PM

Oh man, PSG are amazing CL choke artists. Ole is a lock for permanent ManU coach now, right?
Old 03-06-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Oh man, PSG are amazing CL choke artists. Ole is a lock for permanent ManU coach now, right?
Yeah, but that last-minute penalty was, quite frankly, complete bullshit.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:17 PM

That's a PK all day. Arm out from his body, making it bigger, jumping in front of the shot specifically to block it, correct call.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:34 PM

Just had my first look. Allow me to apply my vast experience: I'm in between BS and clear penalty given the only angle I had. Its not like he swung his arm over his head or straight out, so....A little tough luck there PSG. That's footie.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:45 PM

"Arm out from the body"? A tiny bit.

I concede that, as the rules are currently written, it's within the letter of the law, but nowhere near as cut-and-dried as you seem to think.

More generally, as a matter of what the rule should be, if that's all it takes, they should make a pair of handcuffs part of the uniform, and just give players the choice of whether they'd prefer to be cuffed in the front or the back for the duration of the game.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:03 PM

The penalty was a marginal decision. I have no doubt though the defender knew exactly what he was doing putting his arm out like that.

Last edited by Fuzzy_wuzzy; 03-06-2019 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:36 AM

The penalty was complete BS. He was jumping and turning away from the ball, he didn't see the ball and had his hands in a natural position (when you turning in the air).

All analysis I heard took it as a given that the call was BS, and a lot of time was spent on ridiculing United players that seemed to think it was penalty in the after match interviews.

In any case, I think pretty much all the other teams are happy, because PSG showed they are about twice as strong as Man U at the moment. In both matches.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn moto g(6) met Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2019, 08:01 AM

Speaking as a United fan, I think the penalty was a soft one that you'd be very annoyed to have awarded against you, but nevertheless the correct call. Note that it doesn't matter that the defender wasn't looking at the ball - his arm made his body bigger (natural position or not) and this helped blocked the shot, which is illegal.

I don't think any side will relish playing United at the moment. They were without several first team players last night and still managed to get through.

Solskjaer has worked wonders so far but they shouldn't make a decision until taking stock at the end of the season about the entire management structure of the football club.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat View Post
I don't think any side will relish playing United at the moment. They were without several first team players last night and still managed to get through.

Solskjaer has worked wonders so far but they shouldn't make a decision until taking stock at the end of the season about the entire management structure of the football club.
The teams I would want to avoid going forward:
  1. Man City
  2. Winner of Liverpool/Bayern
  3. Barcelona
  4. Man U
  5. Atletico
  6. Ajax
  7. Tottenham
  8. Porto

Assuming Barca and Atletico go through, which they should, but isn't certain. If Juve advance I'd probably put them either just ahead of ManU or Barcelona. Lyon would be at the bottom or just ahead of Porto.

That has to be a pretty encouraging group for the remaining teams.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:30 AM

I'd taken man u over Tottenham and Atletico.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:56 AM

He absolutely was looking at the ball. Lets get that out of the way. But i do think its on the soft side.Like I said. Bad luck. It happens.

I also want to say ....again...about that goal that was spilled by Buffon. Those damn shots that skip right in front of you are hard as hell to handle. Its why I preach over and over you cant score if you don't shoot.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar bear View Post
The penalty was complete BS. He was jumping and turning away from the ball, he didn't see the ball and had his hands in a natural position (when you turning in the air).

All analysis I heard took it as a given that the call was BS, and a lot of time was spent on ridiculing United players that seemed to think it was penalty in the after match interviews.

In any case, I think pretty much all the other teams are happy, because PSG showed they are about twice as strong as Man U at the moment. In both matches.

All the ESPN commentators said the call was correct. For what that is worth.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:29 PM

It's a penalty every day of the year. His arm is there for a very specific reason, he damn near watches the ball all the way into the arm. Claiming that is not a penalty is arguing with one's heart, not one's head.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
All the ESPN commentators said the call was correct. For what that is worth.
All the Dutch ones said it was BS.

I'm not sure if that says something about English bias on ESPN, or lack of football knowledge.

I'm kind of surprised by the reaction of the British press. It is fine to luck out sometimes, but this is presented as a great and deserved victory. They were second best for 180 minutes and the three goals followed from 2 mistakes and a dodgy penalty. In the last 20 minutes they didn't even manage to put up a last ditch effort to score... except for that one passage of play, nothing much happened (uncommon in a cup tie where one goal could change things).

All the comparisons with Ajax the day before are kind of insulting. Ajax did very well to match or even out play Real over two games (they lost the first one, but won the second one). It wasn't just the result, but the games themselves that were the big news. Totally different form what Man U did, and believe me I don't have any love for Ajax.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:44 PM

To late to edit, but possibly relevant:

For what it's worth, FIFA knows the hand ball rules need to be changed. In November there were multiple news outlets that reported that they are planning to rewrite rules. Now the rule states the hand ball has to be deliberate. They want to remove that word to deal with situations like last night (not deliberate, but blocking the ball). I'm kind of in favor to be more clear and would welcome that rule change. However, that is not the rule at the moment. And no, the PSG player he didn't see the ball coming since his back was turned towards the shooter. Glad we managed to clear that up.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:11 PM

https://clips.clippit.tv/dngpae/360.mp4
Old 03-08-2019, 11:51 AM

Dusan Tadic plays the game of his life to help Ajax depose Real Madrid from Champions League yet wasn't quite the player that 17th place Southampton needed.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Does posting the video means that you've changed your mind?

Because the video you posted shows that the commentators on that clip were both pretty shocked that the penalty was given. One of them, early in the clip, even says, "His arm's in a natural position, it's as simple as that."

Last edited by mhendo; 03-08-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
Does posting the video means that you've changed your mind?

Because the video you posted shows that the commentators on that clip were both pretty shocked that the penalty was given. One of them, early in the clip, even says, "His arm's in a natural position, it's as simple as that."
Nope. Clear as day penalty. Jumps in front of the shot to block is, is watching the ball as it leaves his foot, his arm is out from his body. Easy call.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:49 PM

That clip shows exactly what I said: he watches the ball damn near into his arm, turning away only at the very last micro-second. It's so clear a penalty on slo-mo, it's hard to understand anyone complaining.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:03 PM

And yet a wide range of commentators, including professional players and sports journalists, have expressed disagreement with you. Go figure!
Old 03-08-2019, 06:45 PM

And 4 professionals that are paid to make that call agreed, imagine that. I'll take their word and my eyes over play by play announcers.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:37 PM

Saw the most entertaining second half this season as West Ham scrambled back with three unanswered goals to beat a dead-in-the-water Huddersfield Town. Sure, both teams had zilcho at stake (and sieve-y defensive HT breakdowns), but still nice plays like Samir "Drip Doctor" Nasri's excellent service to a very unmarked Henrnadez for the tieing goal.
A lot of Hammers fans left when HT initially went up 3-1 (on an absolute rocket of a 25-yard strike into the top right corner from Karlam Grant) but then, with 15 minutes left, Ogbonna headed in a goal to make it 3-2, and then substitute Hernandez scored a brace, both of them headers for the win.

I don't think Pellegrini likes the bubble machine.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Sure, both teams had zilcho at stake
Aren't Hammers still a threat to pip Wolves for 7th and a potential place in Europe?

In other news, my beloved Foxes managed a late winner against increasingly unlucky Burnley, after having played virtually the whole game down a man. If Brendan Rodgers can instill that kind of spirit in the team, we might have hopes of challenging for Europe next season!
Old 03-17-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Aren't Hammers still a threat to pip Wolves for 7th and a potential place in Europe?
Ah, I see - I mistakenly thought that only fifth and sixth positions qualify for Europa. (Which, if that had been the case, Hammers would never been able to catch 6th place Chelsea, 15 points ahead.)
Cool, then, that West Ham still have something to play for.
Gotta admit the whole coefficient thing whooshes me a little.

My porridge-hurt Chelsea dogged out again, this time to an Everton squad who recorded their first win against a big six club in more than two years (after 25 matches).
Old 04-01-2019, 05:25 PM

Well, Liverpool got a bit lucky against Spurs yesterday. Liverpool played well in the first half, and had some chances, but they looked sluggish in the second, and got away with the win thanks to a pretty bad piece of goalkeeping by Lloris and a lucky bounce that created a Tottenham own goal.

Go Reds!

Chelsea got lucky in a different way. They were handed a victory, in a game they probably should have lost, by some diabolical officiating. Cardiff should have had a penalty (probably two), then Chelsea evened the score on a clear offside (not even close), and then Chelsea's Rudiger got a yellow card that should have been a red. Officials might as well have been wearing Chelsea blue.

Fuck Chelsea!

Last edited by mhendo; 04-01-2019 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
Fuck Chelsea!

Interesting to see if Spurs can cling on to the top four. I wouldn't put money on it.

Salah needs to pick it up a little if Liverpool wants to edge out Man City for the title. Mane has had a fine season, but not enough...