Old 10-04-2019, 12:55 PM

MLB: Oven mitts. Is the size regulated?

Base runners are now using oven mitts to protect their paws when running the bases. A good idea.

And some of them add a few inches to their reach. Just like a defensive player, the glove is longer than the fingers.

However, is there a size limit for the oven mitt? Could a base stealer have an oven mitt a couple feet long? Baseball is a game of inches.

Thank you folks for your replies.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:02 PM

This is a PDF of the 2019 MLB Official Rules: https://content.mlb.com/documents/2/...les_FINAL_.pdf

They are called "sliding gloves." I didn't see anything in there at all regarding sliding gloves. I'd imagine that, like pretty much everything else that's not codified in the rules, it's umpire's discretion.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:24 PM

"Things that make a mockery of the game", like sending a little person up as a pinch batter, can be called by the umpire. If a runner dons a 90 foot long sliding glove, even if there's no specific rule against it, would be called under the mockery rule, I think.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
This is a PDF of the 2019 MLB Official Rules: https://content.mlb.com/documents/2/...les_FINAL_.pdf

They are called "sliding gloves." I didn't see anything in there at all regarding sliding gloves. I'd imagine that, like pretty much everything else that's not codified in the rules, it's umpire's discretion.
I can't find a rule in there that says players can't wear their fielding mitt while running the bases, or what constitutes touching a base. It's a horribly organized document so all that may be in there somewhere, but it's very poor at defining some of the terms it uses.

AS DCnDC and kayaker pointed out, it's up to the umpire. If a runner objects to the umpire's ruling on his glove he'll have to find the rule that permits it.

Last edited by TriPolar; 10-04-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:37 PM

I’m picturing a base runner with one of those huge foam fingers on one hand, using that to reach for a base.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:51 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
"Things that make a mockery of the game", like sending a little person up as a pinch batter, can be called by the umpire. If a runner dons a 90 foot long sliding glove, even if there's no specific rule against it, would be called under the mockery rule, I think.
The Official Rules' technical statement on this is rule 8.01(c):

"Each umpire has authority to rule on any point not specifically covered in these rules."

Last edited by RickJay; 10-04-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:09 PM

If this is becoming a huge concern I’m sure MLB will address it this off-season. No one is running the bases with a 90 foot glove or a foam finger!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk