Old 09-28-2019, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

This Is Us: Season 4

Season 4 started this week and I didn't see a thread yet. Anyone still watching?

The first episode was very reminiscent of the pilot, with stories about several seemingly unrelated people and you're trying to figure out how it all fits together.

Plus, a mini "House" reunion with both Jennifer Morrison and Omar Epps!
Old 09-28-2019, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Except for the beginning with Jack and Rebecca meeting her parents for dinner, I thought I was watching a completely different show, given how none of the characters were recognizable. But by the end, we learned how these new people relate to the ones we already know. The question raised by the recap at the AV Club website is whether adding this many new characters is going to cause the show to fall apart. And one of the new characters is at least a couple of decades into the future, so the writers may need to dance around showing or not showing future technology and culture.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:00 PM

As I understand it, the showrunners have everything laid out for future seasons, including the ending. We won't be skipping around like Lost.

I'm glad we got to know who was connected with whom at the end. I'm wondering about the younger Big 3...surely those actors have aged up, so we may not see 10-year-olds anymore.

The actor who plays Blind Jack is actually blind, so nice bit of casting there.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:53 AM

I'm definitely watching. I thought it was a great episode. I also noticed the "House" reunion.

I think Omar Epps' speech to his son about responsibility was great.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:21 PM

I am surprised they are making Deja a major character this season. At least her baby daddy is getting a story arc, she was still hardly seen.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Wait - that's Deja's baby? What did I miss?
Old 09-30-2019, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

No, I don't think that was her baby. As I followed the story, she met the baby's father for the first time at that barbeque.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

OK, whew!
Old 10-01-2019, 10:19 AM

Did I miss something? Where is the indication that Deja has a baby?
Old 10-01-2019, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Deja met a boy at a BBQ who already has a baby.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:33 AM

First, they showed the teenage baby daddy. Then showed him meeting Deja at a barbecue. Since this show is not known for linear story telling, I assumed they were backing up to show where the baby came from.
I am usually not good at calling plot shockers, so I am probably incorrect.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

By "teenage baby daddy" are you referring to the man who was shown as the loving single parent to that infant? In my limited experience, baby daddy (a noxious term) is used for a man who fathers a child, perhaps out of wedlock, but has no further involvement in raising or caring for the child. What we were shown (so far) is the complete opposite of that and it's obnoxious to refer to him as such.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:20 AM

The grandpa volunteered to babysit so the teen dad could go to the barbecue... which is where he met Deja.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
By "teenage baby daddy" are you referring to the man who was shown as the loving single parent to that infant? In my limited experience, baby daddy (a noxious term) is used for a man who fathers a child, perhaps out of wedlock, but has no further involvement in raising or caring for the child. What we were shown (so far) is the complete opposite of that and it's obnoxious to refer to him as such.
I'm not fond of the term, either. What's wrong with just calling a man a dad? However, your understanding is off a bit. According to Miriam-Webster, a "baby daddy" is:

Quote:
the biological father of a woman's child
especially : one who is not married to or in a long-term, intimate relationship with the child's mother
There's nothing in the definition that means a man who has no further involvement with his child. In fact, a TV series called Baby Daddy (Full disclosure: I never saw the show.) was about a man who found a baby on his doorstep--his own from a one-night stand--on his doorstep and raises the child.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

When I googled, other dictionaries included the idea that the child's father was absentee or not involved in raising the child (including the Cambridge English Dictionary and who knows American slang better than a group of Cambridge dons?). Either way though, I see no reason to use the term to refer to the child's father in that episode.

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 10-01-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
The grandpa volunteered to babysit so the teen dad could go to the barbecue... which is where he met Deja.
This is a key scene I missed that changes my prediction about Deja.

And I used the term baby daddy in the sense of "father of the child who is not in a relationship with the mother". I meant it as a casual nickname and not as a slam on the guy, who so far is shown as a responsible parent.