Old 09-30-2019, 11:34 PM

What are we to do with these insects we refer to as Republicans?

What is one to do?

These houseflies. These mosquitoes. These vermin.

A party they are not; they exist as a cult of perversion and perverse love of inequality.

Last edited by asahi; 09-30-2019 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:10 AM
Charter Member

Watch out. Dehumanizing your opponents is a step down the path to genocide.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:23 AM

I don't care if Republicans are the most repugnant humans to ever live, referring to any group as insects or vermin is never cool.

"When they go low, we go high"

Last edited by MrDibble; 10-01-2019 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:27 AM

Damn, I was going to say 'Sounded better in the original German*' . . . and y'all beat me to it!
*For the second time, here, today too.

CMC fnord!
Old 10-01-2019, 12:33 AM

Just tonight I was talking about how the pubbies work jobs and take care of their families; they think different things but they aren't monsters. Does seem a bit cultish lately on the GOP side, and I worried that a subculture that is kind of not willing to talk to people outside of the group in anticipation of riding some kind of revolution to permanent political dominance in America and instead gets pretty much shut out in the next election might be fertile ground for bad things to simmer, and wouldn't it be better if people just accepted that everyone thinks different things, and found ways to hang out a little and not be so divided, or tribal, or polarized, yanno?
Old 10-01-2019, 02:35 AM
Charter Member

Ban the party and ban its members from elected office or civil service, much like Germany did after WWII.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Ban the party and ban its members from elected office or civil service, much like Germany did after WWII.
They also hanged as many of the worst offenders as they could. Just saying. For "Poor encouraging of Les Aughtry" or something ... whoever Les is.

And was it Germany, or was it the occupying powers that did the banning and other denazification? I can see the latter as an easier sell.

Last edited by MrDibble; 10-01-2019 at 03:02 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

The problem isn't the Republicans, which is a legitimate alternative political point of view, the problem is the Extreme Right that have infiltrated every high level part of our culture, come out from under their rocks, and are manipulating everything.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
The problem isn't the Republicans, which is a legitimate alternative political point of view
Hard disagree.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:58 AM

The Republican Party has become a personality cult. We've never seen this before in the US. Once free of the demonic possession that is Donald, can they again be a responsible party? I'm betting no. They have lived by the principle of having no principles for too long. Remember that on Jan 20, 2009 party leaders met and decided that they would not cooperate with the new President Obama. They conducted endless conspiracy theory investigations into Hillary, Benghazi, and (shudder) her e-mails. They stole a Supreme Court seat from Obama for no other reason than that they could. They passed irresponsible tax cuts at a time when tax cuts were not needed. They refuse to act on gun violence at the behest of their masters at the NRA. This is not a responsible party, and they went rogue before the orange con man came along. What should happen is that the party dissolves and the Democrats split into liberal and moderate wings. What will happen is that they will continue to use conspiracy theories to con the gullible to vote them in so that someday they'll regain unified control of government and then further gut environmental protections and worker rights.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:04 AM

Let me try it this way:
All the red hat wearing, Obama hating, Q believers who enjoy the taste of liberal tears and likely never paid much attention to politics before Trump---how do they become good political citizens?
Old 10-01-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Sorry if this crosses some unspoken line but you sound like a nut.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Not to me. There are a lot more similarities between modern Republicans and WW II Nazis than there are differences.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You ought to be sorry. The Republican party is a greater existential threat to American democracy, western civilization, and the survival of the human race than the US has ever faced before, and they rightly belong in the dustbin of history.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
You ought to be sorry. The Republican party is a greater existential threat to American democracy, western civilization, and the survival of the human race than the US has ever faced before, and they rightly belong in the dustbin of history.
An imaginary border wall and slightly lower taxes are not the end of the world.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
This is that extreme intolerance of the right that people were insisting doesn’t exist in the other thread.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:42 AM

The OP has insulted insects.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
And was it Germany, or was it the occupying powers that did the banning and other denazification? I can see the latter as an easier sell.

Well, if someone tells the boys at Fort Drum to stand down, it's a pretty easy drive from CFB Petawawa to DC......Just sayin'.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
This is that extreme intolerance of the right that people were insisting doesn’t exist in the other thread.
Nothing but “strawman, fantasy” liberals in here.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
What is one to do?

A party they are not; they exist as a cult of perversion and perverse love of inequality.
I know what I do; I vote against them every chance I get.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Climate change, which the Republican party has permitted to go unchecked in the name of short-term corporate profits, however, is.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Climate change, which the Republican party has permitted to go unchecked in the name of short-term corporate profits, however, is.
Folks left of center don’t use fossil fuels?
Old 10-01-2019, 08:23 AM

85 Environmental Rules Being Rolled Back Under Trump
Old 10-01-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Nothing but “strawman, fantasy” liberals in here.
I defer to your expertise on strawman, fantasy liberals.

Back on topic: one of the main instigators of the current situation is the monster that is the right-wing propaganda machine - not just broadcast media like FoxNews and Sinclair but the social media manipulators (who always seem to have a ready supply of false pro-right or anti-left memes ready to roll on any topic). It's been working away for decades now, and it's the main reason the country is so fundamentally divided.

When every information source you frequent is telling you 24/7 that liberals are all evil, deluded America-haters who want open borders so they can give free money to illegals in return for voter fraud, and who are persecuting decent hard-working God-fearing Americans JUST LIKE YOU, that poison will eventually seep its way into the way you see the world. When they tell you over and over again that "they" are coming for your guns, your jobs, your money, your children, your Bibles, and everything you hold dear, your natural reaction will be to circle the wagons with the rest of your tribe and attack anything that might threaten your group from outside - and if a few members of your tribe bend the rules every now and then, at least they're helping defend you against the barbarian hordes ranked against you (the last bastion of decency).

I don't have an answer to any of that, of course. It's always easier (and more profitable) to spread lies, and the alternative is a draconian purge that could ultimately be worse than the problem it is attempting to solve. But it's the reason that a demographic that was once genuinely devout and respectable (at least to the right sort of people) now sees a lying, philandering fraudster with a penchant for firing off incoherent insults on a regular basis as a good selfless Christian.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:29 AM

What are we to do with these insects we refer to as Republicans?

Impeach the conman and criminal that is their current leader, vote their extremist downticket representatives out of office, and most of all, modify the system to better prevent gerrymandering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti
Nope. Not a remotely comparable situation, and disenfranchisement of a significant percentage of the voting public is no sensible answer.. However...

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus
You know perfectly well that these are far from the only issues with the Cult of Trump. If you feel you must exaggerate to service your point, please be a little less obvious about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem
What should happen is that the party dissolves and the Democrats split into liberal and moderate wings.
This, but let the Pubs remain as a far-right (T)rump. France has somehow managed to muddle through for decades despite the existence of the Front Nationale, and I see no reason we can't as well.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 10-01-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

It is amazing. We have a guy in office who should be the most easily defeated candidate in a re-election campaign ever, and some of you have found the one sure-fire way to put that in doubt: helping him with an us-vs-them narrative that will help a lot of people ignore the things that matter.
Never mind that by talking about any issue in this way (us good, they evil - start the tribunals) you are destroying the fabric of American society, and making civilized political discourse increasingly impossible. Cue the chorus of:”not us, it’s them! They did it first, worse!” Which may well be true, but ignores the fact that the only behavior you can control is your own. Polarization, the destruction of the position in the middle, is inherently a bad thing. The notion that compromise, insufficient zeal, and anything but the most extreme position is weak, unworthy or even evil is the space that should be reserved for teenagers and the mentally unhinged. It is no way to (try to) run a country.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
But now that the party you identify with is led by, and full of, conspiracy-nut fuck-jobs, the ultra-religious, and white supremacy hate groups... aren't you finally relieved to be the fuckstain you always knew you could be to the world at large?

I know most in the GOP are. Look at 'em go!
Old 10-01-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Folks left of center don’t use fossil fuels?
Does the hand you use to JAQ off ever get tired? Or do you switch off? Probably a better idea to switch off, you don't want one big beefy muscular arm and one wimpy arm.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
What is one to do?
Referring to a significant number of fellow citizens as insects is not a useful answer to that question.

ETA: and what Isosleepy said.

Last edited by thorny locust; 10-01-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:43 AM

Just to be clear, is it the elected Republican officials and the RNC that are insects, and people who vote for them are idiots? Or is it the group of people who identify as Republicans (politicians and voters both) who are insects?
Old 10-01-2019, 10:09 AM

And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time and lost in space and meaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Referring to a significant number of fellow citizens as insects is not a useful answer to that question.
<ponders username/post combo>
Old 10-01-2019, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
What is one to do?

You need professional help. Urgently.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babale View Post
Does the hand you use to JAQ off ever get tired? Or do you switch off? Probably a better idea to switch off, you don't want one big beefy muscular arm and one wimpy arm.
Being an insect has its advantages. 6 limbs and more of a nervous system than the NPCs of the left.

Last edited by octopus; 10-01-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:07 AM

Non-Player Characters?

I don't find the use of the term "insects" particularly constructive, but the last line of asahi's post is becoming increasingly true. The current party appears to be entirely focused on "hurting the right people", no matter what the wider cost.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:19 AM
Extrajudicial

The only reasonable response to the OP should be to note that they are a crazy person. Anything different would be like responding to a Nazi's hatred of Jews by saying, "yeah, some of them are kinda bad". Unfortunately that's many of the responses so far.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just to be clear, is it the elected Republican officials and the RNC that are insects, and people who vote for them are idiots? Or is it the group of people who identify as Republicans (politicians and voters both) who are insects?
It's insects all the way down.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Hard disagree.
Read his quote entirely...

The point was that old-school conservatism in the vein of say... Dwight Eisenhower, or Prescott Bush- i.e. pre-Dixiecrat migration and Southern Strategy IS a valid oppositional viewpoint. And even after all that, it was more odious, but not insane until about 15-20 years ago, with the rise of the internet echo chambers, talk radio and the like that allowed fellow nut-bags to band together and start demanding changes.

That's when the extreme right fringes of the party took it by the balls and started doing the batshit insane stuff and started really introducing the hyper-adversarial, neo-fascist and bigoted stuff.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
The problem isn't the Republicans, which is a legitimate alternative political point of view
I don't think this is true anymore.

We had a thread a few weeks back asking what conservative political values were. And we got conservatives posting that this was just another liberal attack thread. But the thing I noticed is that none of them could articulate a conservative political value; at least nothing that wasn't a general political value that everyone shared.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
When every information source you frequent is telling you 24/7 that liberals are all evil, deluded America-haters who want open borders so they can give free money to illegals in return for voter fraud, and who are persecuting decent hard-working God-fearing Americans JUST LIKE YOU, that poison will eventually seep its way into the way you see the world. When they tell you over and over again that "they" are coming for your guns, your jobs, your money, your children, your Bibles, and everything you hold dear, your natural reaction will be to circle the wagons with the rest of your tribe and attack anything that might threaten your group from outside - and if a few members of your tribe bend the rules every now and then, at least they're helping defend you against the barbarian hordes ranked against you (the last bastion of decency).
Serious question here: If Trump-loving Republicans (which is just about all of them) honestly believe the above -- and I think they do -- why do they believe it? What do they think is the advantage to liberals for giving free money to immigrants in return for voter fraud? Yeah, if true that would help the liberals get and retain power, but to what end? Why do they think we want their deadend jobs, their nonexistent money, their uneducated children, the religious book they love without ever really understanding its basic message? What do they think the liberal endgame is?

(You'll note I didn't mention wanting their guns. If the only way to minimize the number of idiots who shoot up shopping malls and schools and places of worship is to take away their guns, then I think we should just take them away.)
Old 10-01-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I don't think this is true anymore.

We had a thread a few weeks back asking what conservative political values were. And we got conservatives posting that this was just another liberal attack thread. But the thing I noticed is that none of them could articulate a conservative political value; at least nothing that wasn't a general political value that everyone shared.
What about "Having conservative judges so my guns don't get taken away"?
Old 10-01-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
Serious question here: If Trump-loving Republicans (which is just about all of them) honestly believe the above -- and I think they do -- why do they believe it? What do they think is the advantage to liberals for giving free money to immigrants in return for voter fraud? Yeah, if true that would help the liberals get and retain power, but to what end? Why do they think we want their deadend jobs, their nonexistent money, their uneducated children, the religious book they love without ever really understanding its basic message? What do they think the liberal endgame is?

(You'll note I didn't mention wanting their guns. If the only way to minimize the number of idiots who shoot up shopping malls and schools and places of worship is to take away their guns, then I think we should just take them away.)
Well, based on the members of my extended family who falls into this category, the answer seems to be "Liberals hate America and want to destroy it". When pressed for further detail, the underlying assumption is simply that liberals are evil, deluded, stupid or all three. It is not a particularly rational or well-evidenced position, but then this is the demographic who thinks that Jeanine Pirro repeatedly screeching "DEMONRATS!" at the screen is worth watching.

The sad thing is that (some of) these family members are intelligent, accomplished individuals, and some of them I respect greatly for things they have done. But get them onto the political narratives they're being fed by FoxNews day in and day out and suddenly they lose all ability to think critically and go into hate-filled rants about the immigrant invasion instead.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Non-Player Characters?
Yes, and frankly, the term's use as a pejorative offends me - not as a liberal, but as a D&D player.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
Serious question here: If Trump-loving Republicans (which is just about all of them) honestly believe the above -- and I think they do -- why do they believe it?
Because they have been told to (repeatedly, over and over again) by media sources. The axiom is that a message repeated often enough eventually sinks in, and if you inject the message with enough emotional content (outrage) then is will sink in faster and deeper.

That is all there is to it.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Greenjeans View Post
Let me try it this way:
All the red hat wearing, Obama hating, Q believers who enjoy the taste of liberal tears and likely never paid much attention to politics before Trump---how do they become good political citizens?
They don't. Time for them to scuttle back under whatever rock they used to hide under.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Gotta tolerate the intolerance? Oh bullshit. Fucking bullshit.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
<ponders username/post combo>
A "locust" is an insect; a "thorny locust" is a tree.

(Description may not literally apply to the poster of that name.)

Admittedly, I doubt it would be useful to refer to all Republicans as being trees, either; though it would more likely lead to confusion than to insult.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isosleepy View Post
Never mind that by talking about any issue in this way (us good, they evil - start the tribunals) you are destroying the fabric of American society, and making civilized political discourse increasingly impossible. Cue the chorus of:”not us, it’s them! They did it first, worse!” Which may well be true, but ignores the fact that the only behavior you can control is your own.
Turn the other cheek! Let them for years call you not a "real American", disloyal, America-hating, etc. but don't dare say a single bad thing about them or you'll lose their support! Ignore that they're not merely talking but using those slanderous characterizations of a significant part of the American populace to justify their leaders' increasing disenfranchisement of anyone not like them.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bredin View Post
Turn the other cheek! Let them for years call you not a "real American", disloyal, America-hating, etc. but don't dare say a single bad thing about them or you'll lose their support! Ignore that they're not merely talking but using those slanderous characterizations of a significant part of the American populace to justify their leaders' increasing disenfranchisement of anyone not like them.
Well, fuck them. Assholes. All of them.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isosleepy View Post
It is amazing. We have a guy in office who should be the most easily defeated candidate in a re-election campaign ever, and some of you have found the one sure-fire way to put that in doubt: helping him with an us-vs-them narrative that will help a lot of people ignore the things that matter.
Never mind that by talking about any issue in this way (us good, they evil - start the tribunals) you are destroying the fabric of American society, and making civilized political discourse increasingly impossible. Cue the chorus of:”not us, it’s them! They did it first, worse!” Which may well be true, but ignores the fact that the only behavior you can control is your own. Polarization, the destruction of the position in the middle, is inherently a bad thing. The notion that compromise, insufficient zeal, and anything but the most extreme position is weak, unworthy or even evil is the space that should be reserved for teenagers and the mentally unhinged. It is no way to (try to) run a country.
One of the characteristics of Homo Sapiens is that it modifies its environment to suit its desires, I think that's at play on the issue you describe.
As far as I have seen Trump is a consequence of the behaviour shown on the OP and many of the replies in support of it. that kind of mentality doesn't spring into existence out of nowhere.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:53 PM
Extrajudicial

These people posting in this thread that don't wholesale condemn dehumanzing those they disagree with as stated in the OP, says a lot more about them than the target of the genocidal ire:

Smapti
GuanoLad
BobLibDem
Mr. Greenjeans
octopus
TriPolar
Horatius
bobot
enipla
Gyrate
El Kabong
cmyk
Babale
Little Nemo
Anny Middon
manson1972
Icarus
SteveG1
John Bredin
Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
So once again, I think your characterization of the board is false. Shitty and bigoted posts are usually called out, even when they're made on the "liberal" side.
Is this where you point out the "usually" part?