Old 08-01-2019, 02:14 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

MLB: August 2019

Dodgers till leading the league, Padres not in last place. Life is good.

(Shoe drop)

Who gained by Trade Day? The Astros, of course. But who else?

July thread here.

Last edited by silenus; 08-01-2019 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:26 PM

Yanks & Astros lead the AL, Astros just got better. Yanks are counting on the reinforcements from the DL to improve.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Yanks & Astros lead the AL, Astros just got better. Yanks are counting on the reinforcements from the DL to improve.
To be fair, what they have on the DL is one of the best teams in baseball... All on the DL. They get healthy and they get crazy scary.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:10 PM

Yanks IL that will probably help this season.

Expected back in August:
Dellin Betances (RP)
Luis Severino (SP)
CC Sabathia (SP)
Brett Gardner (OF) (Maybe this week)
Gary Sanchez (C)
Luke Voit (1B)

Probably not until September:
Stanton, Giancarlo (LF)
Montgomery, Jordan (P)
Hale, David (P)

Not to mention LeMahieu, DJ (IF) should be playing again soon.

Those not expected to help:
Andujar, Miguel (3B) out for season
Bird, Greg (1B) if he got better, he would get injured again
Ellsbury, Jacoby (CF) never, ever will help again.
Loaisiga, Jonathan (P) would be available come September call-ups, so maybe he will help.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Question for the MLB experts. In tonight's Astros game, Josh Reddick was at bat with two strikes. It appeared that he hit a foul ball that went off to the right of the line, but he was called out. The box score on Gameday MLB says he was out on "Swinging Strike (blocked)" which Google reveals is Gameday's way of scoring a swinging strike at a ball in the dirt. So Reddick was out on strike 3.

It sure looked like he hit the ball but I guess it's remotely possible the ball was in the dirt, hit the edge of the plate and bounced off toward the dugout. I'd think Reddick would have known if he hit it or not, but who knows. He was mad and got evicted.

Couple of things I don't get. I Googled around but nobody will tell me what the "blocked" part of that is. Blocked by who? the dirt? Google also returns a bunch of info on "dropped" or "uncaught" swinging strikes which is a different thing altogether, as far as I can tell. Can anyone clear this up for me? Did anyone see the play?
Old 08-01-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
Question for the MLB experts. In tonight's Astros game, Josh Reddick was at bat with two strikes. It appeared that he hit a foul ball that went off to the right of the line, but he was called out. The box score on Gameday MLB says he was out on "Swinging Strike (blocked)" which Google reveals is Gameday's way of scoring a swinging strike at a ball in the dirt. So Reddick was out on strike 3.

It sure looked like he hit the ball but I guess it's remotely possible the ball was in the dirt, hit the edge of the plate and bounced off toward the dugout. I'd think Reddick would have known if he hit it or not, but who knows. He was mad and got evicted.

Couple of things I don't get. I Googled around but nobody will tell me what the "blocked" part of that is. Blocked by who? the dirt? Google also returns a bunch of info on "dropped" or "uncaught" swinging strikes which is a different thing altogether, as far as I can tell. Can anyone clear this up for me? Did anyone see the play?
I didn't see the play, so maybe I'm completely wrong. Best guess, judging from Gameday's description: the ball was in the dirt, Reddick swung and missed. The "blocked" part means blocked by the catcher. Since the ball hit the dirt the catcher could not make a clean catch, which means that Reddick is entitled to run to first (as long as there are 2 out or nobody on first). That means the C is forced to tag Reddick or throw to first to retire him. (Did he tag Reddick?) My impression is that Gameday doesn't report it if a catcher tags the batter (though I always record it on my scorecards, it doesn't actually make any difference b/c the catcher is given the putout on a K), but Gameday certainly does report it if the throw went to first.

So, best guess, pitch is in the dirt, Reddick swings and misses, catcher tags him. Reddick insists it was fouled off, insists too hard, ump dismisses him from the premises. Does that square with what you saw?
Old 08-01-2019, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for your reply, Ulf. What I saw was that the catcher had to chase the ball down. He didn't block it, that I saw. Haven't been able to see a replay, though. I think you are right about what the call was based on, and I think maybe the catcher did come over to touch Reddick, and it sort of seemed the ump told him to somehow. However, it sure did look like Reddick hit the ball, and he sure thought he did, so there's that.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:09 PM

Sure, glad it's helpful and hope I'm right!

I believe "blocked" doesn;t mean "catcher stopped the ball entirely" so much as "ball did not go to the backstop."

I think that these are very difficult calls for an umpire--ball hits dirt, ball kicks up dirt, ball maybe hits bat, grazes bat, just misses bat, very hard to tell--and especially so if it's a breaking ball, which may bounce in somewhat unexpected ways, so it would not be shocking if an umpire gets it wrong.

I don't believe this type of play is reviewable, but I could be wrong about that...did the Astros ask for a replay? I'm guessing not...

Last edited by Ulf the Unwashed; 08-01-2019 at 09:10 PM. Reason: clarity and common sense
Old 08-01-2019, 10:52 PM

For anyone interested, video of the strikeout is here. Reddick obviously thought he hit the ball, but it looks to me like it bounced in the dirt and then off of the catcher's chest protector. "Blocked" just means that the catcher prevented the ball from going to the backstop. Since there were runners on first and third with two outs, Reddick had the option to run to first base, but he didn't run because he thought it was a foul ball. He was wrong, so he stood there and the catcher retrieved the ball and tagged him out.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Freddy. I learned something new about baseball rules out of all this so that's good.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

The Rays are now 8-1 at Fenway this year, and pulling away from Boston.

"But they don't have anybody!" goes the cry. "How are they doing it?" Maybe there's something to this Opening Pitcher idea.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

I can’t remember ever seeing teams with scheduled off days on a Friday in August. Very weird scheduling.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Dodgers till leading the league, Padres not in last place. Life is good.

(Shoe drop)

Who gained by Trade Day? The Astros, of course. But who else?

July thread here.
Tonight in Dodgertown this may become a bit more evident, when one of the prospects we didn't trade opens on the hill for the Blue. I hope he's the stud we didn't trade for.

Last edited by Truman Burbank; 08-02-2019 at 07:39 PM. Reason: clean up on aisle 4.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:32 PM

Insanity in Philadelphia: The Phillies run out of pitchers in a 15-inning game, so an outfielder has to pitch, which means that a pitcher has to play the outfield. Pitcher Vince Velasquez takes over in left field and flashes Gold Glove form, throwing out a runner at the plate, coming within an inch of throwing out another, and making an excellent shoetop catch, all in two innings.

Last edited by Freddy the Pig; 08-02-2019 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
I canít remember ever seeing teams with scheduled off days on a Friday in August. Very weird scheduling.
Don't you just love interleague play?
Old 08-03-2019, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Don't you just love interleague play?
I actually do, yes. Iíve been a strong supporter of interleague play for many years. Now that I live in Chicago, Iíve got both the NL and AL here, but most cities only have one league. Imagine if youíre a baseball fan in Seattle and never get a chance to see NL players. Whereís the closest NL park to Seattle? I guess San Francisco and thatís not exactly close.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
No doubt Aaron Sanchez will see an increase in velocity and spin rate while posting a 1.75 ERA in August/September.
Bloody Hell.

This weekend has started out much better than the last with the Yankees returning the favor by taking the first three games in a four game series. Oh hey, where did Annie go?
Old 08-04-2019, 12:34 AM

And now Encarnation is out with a broken wrist. Can the Yankees overcome this problem?
Old 08-04-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
And now Encarnation is out with a broken wrist. Can the Yankees overcome this problem?
DJ plays first until someone gets back.

Or do you mean the injury bug?
Old 08-04-2019, 08:10 AM

The injury bug. I know it'll balance itself out, but it seems like it's been a bigger problem for them than for other teams. Then again, it's the Yankees, so the media plays it up more than if it were, say, Kansas City or Tampa or Miami.

That's not a criticism, by the way
Old 08-04-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
The injury bug. I know it'll balance itself out, but it seems like it's been a bigger problem for them than for other teams. Then again, it's the Yankees, so the media plays it up more than if it were, say, Kansas City or Tampa or Miami.

That's not a criticism, by the way
The injury bug is not the worst ever, but I think it is the worst from any team that has been able to stay in first.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:35 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Walker Buehler tossed his second 15K complete game of the season Saturday. The Dodger record is 3 in one season, and we still have a couple of months to go.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The injury bug. I know it'll balance itself out, but it seems like it's been a bigger problem for them than for other teams.
What about the Indians -- known for their starting rotation:

Probable starting pitchers at beginning of season
Kluber out since May 1st (7 starts) and not back yet.
Carasco (12 starts) inconsistent most of the season turns out he has leukemia. On the IL since June 5.
Clevenger (10 starts) missed more than two months early in the season then placed on the IL after his first game back.

Most likely fill-ins:
Danny Salazar out all of 2018. Pitched four innings in one game. Now back on the DL
Cody Anderson 2 starts now on 60 day IL
Jefrey Rodriguez 8 starts now on 60 day IL
Old 08-05-2019, 05:48 PM

Good news, Yanks sweep Red Sox, close to ending their season.
Bad news, Hicks to the IL and Loaisiga may have had another set back in minors.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:40 PM
SD Curator of Critters

I was at Friday's and last night's Red Sox-Yankees games. It was good to see the Bombers in good form despite all the injuries.

But what most surprised and gratified me was the number of young people I saw in the stands. I was sitting in the Upper Deck, and it seemed to me the majority of fans were in their 20s, including many women, with very few over 40. And although these were the cheap seats in Yankee Stadium, this being a Red Sox game they weren't that cheap. It made me optimistic for the future of the game.

(At both games, I had groups of 20-something young women sitting next to me. Coincidentally, in both games the one next to me had never been to a baseball game before. I had to explain to one what a grand slam was, and the other what a ground-rule double was.)

Last edited by Colibri; 08-05-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:40 PM

Yankees playing well through adversity. I never saw a guy hit himself with foul balls in both legs in the same at bat before, damn that must have hurt. Amazing how they call up a guy like Ford and he delivers in the clutch. Sure was sweet to add to the Red Sox's misery, how the mighty have fallen this year.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:18 PM

While The Blue Jays are having an unglamorous season, there's a core of young players like Vladdy Jr., Cavan Biggio and Bo Bichette (with Lourdes Gurreil Jr nipping at their heels) who are proving themselves to be potential hotshots, with Vladdy leading the bigs in RBIs since the all-star break.
Charlie Montoyo wasn't quite as smiley as he was at the beginning of the season.

ETA: And this week VG became first Jay rookie to be player of the week twice.

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 08-05-2019 at 11:20 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:54 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Bo Bichette is off to a hell of a start; in eight games he's got 15 hits, including six doubles and three home runs. He's also made four errors, so he is exciting on both sides of the ball.

Vlad Jr. is quietly having a fine season too (though like Bo, he makes a lot of fielding errors.) He didn't do a lot his first few weeks and so the hype died down, but after fritzing around .200 for awhile he's up to .279, and in half a season's worth of games has 13 homers and 49 RBI, with a respectable K-W ratio so it's not a fluke.

I remain convinced that Vlad has a pretty good chance of basically being another Miguel Cabrera. Everyone compares Vlad to his Dad, but the similarities to Cabrera are striking. They are physically very similar and are both righthanded hitters with incredible bat speed, plate converge, and batting eyes. Both made the majors at 20, and their numbers in their age 20 season are interchangeably similar; Miguel hit .268 with 12 bombs in about the same number of games. (Vlad's season totals for the year will go higher because he can play 45-50 more games, but right now they're eerily alike.) Both came up playing positions they clearly are not ideally suited for - Cabrera played third and left field, Vladdy plays third - and Cabrera moved to first and Vladdy obviously will eventually. That is, I think, Vlad's future; a first base slugger who can win batting titles and home run titles. He is a truly awesome hitting prospect.

Bo is harder to put a projection on. He wasn't tearing up AAA this year.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Cubs have failed to win 10 straight series on the road. But they are also currently leading the NL central, having just swept the Brewers at home. In fact, their home win percentage is close to 70%, whereas on the road it's under 40%. That's a split of over thirty points.

It's like they're two different fuckin teams. The Idiot Clone Roster gets on the jet for away games.

As far as I can tell, no other team in the major leagues this season has a split greater than twenty points between home and away performance, while the Cubs are standing at over thirty. I don't know what the dealio is here. There's still time for some regression to the mean, but right now I'm wondering what the greatest historical split in performance has been. That'd be a weird record to take, if they're close. (I doubt they're close, but it still feels pretty weird to me...)
Old 08-06-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Vlad Jr. is quietly having a fine season too (though like Bo, he makes a lot of fielding errors.) He didn't do a lot his first few weeks and so the hype died down, but after fritzing around .200 for awhile he's up to .279, and in half a season's worth of games has 13 homers and 49 RBI, with a respectable K-W ratio so it's not a fluke.
Yeah, he's only "disappointing" compared to the ridiculous pre-season hype. In a weak year, he'd be a decent Rookie of the Year candidate.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Scud View Post
Yeah, he's only "disappointing" compared to the ridiculous pre-season hype. In a weak year, he'd be a decent Rookie of the Year candidate.
Oh, I suspect he's got a good shot at winning this year. Though there are some really good rookies this season they are disproportionately in the NL: guys like Tatis and Alonso and Reynolds and Soroka. The AL is weaker, or at least that's my impression in a quick scan of the top rookies in WAR. Looks like the only AL players who are above Guerrero's 1.8 score are Brandon Lowe (2.9) and John Means (3.5). If I were a bettin' man I'd bet on Guerrero because a) there's a good chance he's going to keep getting better and b) because celebrity counts and who's ever heard of Means or Lowe?

It's possible I missed somebody, of course. Guess we'll see.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf the Unwashed View Post

Yordan Alvarez.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:51 AM

Hmm. Reds may have something in Aristides Aquino.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Yordan Alvarez.
(Who, to be clear, is my pick for rookie of the year assuming he doesn't fall too far off his current pace.)
Old 08-07-2019, 07:33 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Oh, I suspect he's got a good shot at winning this year. Though there are some really good rookies this season they are disproportionately in the NL: guys like Tatis and Alonso and Reynolds and Soroka. The AL is weaker, or at least that's my impression in a quick scan of the top rookies in WAR. Looks like the only AL players who are above Guerrero's 1.8 score are Brandon Lowe (2.9) and John Means (3.5). If I were a bettin' man I'd bet on Guerrero because a) there's a good chance he's going to keep getting better and b) because celebrity counts and who's ever heard of Means or Lowe?

I actually did a search on rookies by WAR yesterday and as God is my witness I had no idea who Lowe was.

Vlad Jr. could absolutely win ROY if he plays well the rest of the way. If he gets hot and get above 20 homers, he will get a lot of votes. If the season ended now I'd vote for Means all week, but there is still a lot of baseball left to play. I'm not sure the precedent is great though. Toronto has had two ROYs - Alfredo Griffin in 1979 and Eric Hinske in 2002, and Alfredo didn't have another year that good for a decade and after he left Toronto, while Hinske never had another year even close to it.

In other Jay rookie news, Bo Bichette is the first player in major league history o get his first 10 extra base hits in fewer than ten major league games. He's just ripping the ball, it's quite something.

Last edited by RickJay; 08-07-2019 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I actually did a search on rookies by WAR yesterday and as God is my witness I had no idea who Lowe was.
Lowe is pronounced 'lau' (rhymes with wow) so that might have thrown you off.

If Means keeps starting and maintains anything close to his 2.56 ERA at Camden Yards, then he probably deserves the honor. The Yankees have now hit 38 home runs in 9 games in that park. I don't even know what the hell is going on anymore. Is it the ball? Is it the stadium? Is Baltimore pitching just that bad? Guys like Brett Gardner and Cameron Maybin are hitting oppo jobs. Means gets the ball tonight. We'll see.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:04 AM

What the hell happened with the Mets? Guess it was a good idea for them not to blow up the team in trades.

At least fans have something to cheer about for awhile (as of today, they're a game and a half back in the wild card race).
Old 08-07-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
What the hell happened with the Mets? Guess it was a good idea for them not to blow up the team in trades.

At least fans have something to cheer about for awhile (as of today, they're a game and a half back in the wild card race).
They got on a good run of their starters pitching the way they were expected too.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Looks like the only AL players who are above Guerrero's 1.8 score are Brandon Lowe (2.9) and John Means (3.5). If I were a bettin' man I'd bet on Guerrero because a) there's a good chance he's going to keep getting better and b) because celebrity counts and who's ever heard of Means or Lowe?

Indian's Oscar Mercado is 1.3 with only 67 gays played, but he's now the regular center fielder.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
They got on a good run of their starters pitching the way they were expected too.
They also recently feasted on the Marlins, White Sox and Pirates. Their road gets rockier as the rest of August goes: Nationals, Braves, Royals, Indians, Braves again, Cubs and Phillies.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:37 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
If Means keeps starting and maintains anything close to his 2.56 ERA at Camden Yards, then he probably deserves the honor. The Yankees have now hit 38 home runs in 9 games in that park. I don't even know what the hell is going on anymore. Is it the ball? Is it the stadium? Is Baltimore pitching just that bad? Guys like Brett Gardner and Cameron Maybin are hitting oppo jobs. Means gets the ball tonight. We'll see.
The huge jump this year is the ball. That's established fact. The seams are different.

The general rise in the last few years is a bunch of things. Hitting approach, strength training, philosophy in what players to draft/sign/promote.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Lower drag, no more detail given even though it's obviously there.

That can come from simply increasing the tension on the yarn, making it press deeper into the leather and lowering the seam height. The lower seams mean less break, and the harder ball has a higher coefficient of restitution (it rebounds harder off the bat). That's all it takes.

Many pitchers have adjusted to it. The Red Sox starters have not.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Yordan Alvarez.
Right you are. (I wonder if I just missed him or am still thinking of Houston as an NL team!)

Anyway, he's a little ahead of Guerrero too. And in half the playing time, which a) is impressive but b) suggests he may be getting lucky--small sample size and all.

Looks like his BABIP is close to .400, so I imagine it's doubtful he'll keep up an OPS of over 1.1--especially given that only Yelich and Trout have done that so far.

But I suppose you never know. Be interesting to see!
Old 08-08-2019, 08:05 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Alvarez absolutely is getting lucky, but if it kept up all year. it is what it is. Bloop hits and hits that fall between guys are still hits.

Alvarez's peripherals and minor league numbers say he is the real deal; it's not just a fluke.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:00 AM

Hey Blue Jays fans! Who is this guy in the dugout?

Guy in sweatshirt.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:

Guy in sweatshirt.
Jason Statham?
Old 08-09-2019, 02:19 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:

Guy in sweatshirt.
Jeff Bezos.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:29 AM

Aristides Aquino with another homer to help beat the Cubs in a must-win game!
Old 08-10-2019, 05:50 PM

I dont' believe what I just saw! (last night)

Ramos gives up a passed ball to put the Mets down 6-3 in the 9th. Then a couple of hits and Frazier hits a 3 run HR to tie it. With 2 outs, Conforto with a double to win it!

This is the damndest 2nd half I've ever seen. The Mets can't lose and I can't get laid

Mets now 14 of the last 15. YGFB and LGFM!
Old 08-10-2019, 09:18 PM

Astros just brutalize the Orioles, 23 to 2, with Alvarez getting his first 3-home-run game. It's hard to fathom that there's a team out there with a worse record than the Orioles, but there is.