View Poll Results: Which of the following options, or combinations do you use?
Salt and pepper shakers 47 63.51%
Salt and pepper mills 33 44.59%
Salt and pepper cellars 11 14.86%
I'm a snowflake 14 18.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2019, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Shakers, Mills or Cellars?

For salt and pepper. Do you use the above exclusively or mix them up?
Old 08-18-2019, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

For me:

Daily use is a salt cellar and a pepper mill. When measuring for cooking, I usually use a can of ground black pepper.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Pepper mill. Salt shaker in the rare times where I want to add salt.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:59 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Pepper mill. Salt cellar. Canned black pepper for cooking. Shakers for the various seasoned salts around (Lawry's, Johnnie's, Penzey's, Bob's Big Boy, etc.)
Old 08-18-2019, 03:35 PM

Salt shaker.

It's not a pepper mill. It's a pepper grinder.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:35 PM

All three: Battery-powered pepper mill for both cooking and finishing. Salt cellar for cooking and most finishing. Salt shaker with fine ground salt for popcorn.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:37 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Ceramic canister* of Kosher salt (with dipper), and a pepper mill, for cooking. Salt shaker and pepper mill for table use.

I have pre-ground pepper in shakers, but rarely use it. Mainly for seasoning raw whole chickens or large roasts where you can’t move the meat around and operate the pepper mill with two hands without getting grease all over it. I suppose I could grind some pepper into a small bowl and apply it with the fingers, but WTF.

* In British English, I guess that would be a “salt cellar.” In American English, it seems that “salt cellar” and “salt shaker” are synonymous.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:44 PM

Salt shaker, like a parmesan shaker from a pizza parlor, and a proper grinder.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:00 PM

I have multiple pepper grinders. I don't have a singe salt dispenser in the house of any type (nor any salt).
Old 08-18-2019, 05:00 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
I don't have a singe salt dispenser in the house of any type (nor any salt).
You’re the cream in my coffee, baby
You’re the salt in my stew...
Old 08-18-2019, 05:52 PM

Two pepper grinders, some salt shakers of plain salt and superfine (popcorn) salt, a jar of flaked finishing salt, and a jar of smoked salt. Oh, and a box of kosher salt in the basement.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Salt shaker. Pepper grinder.

I've never seen the point of fresh-ground salt. It's a rock.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Ceramic canister* of Kosher salt (with dipper), and a pepper mill, for cooking. Salt shaker and pepper mill for table use.

I have pre-ground pepper in shakers, but rarely use it. Mainly for seasoning raw whole chickens or large roasts where you can’t move the meat around and operate the pepper mill with two hands without getting grease all over it. I suppose I could grind some pepper into a small bowl and apply it with the fingers, but WTF.

* In British English, I guess that would be a “salt cellar.” In American English, it seems that “salt cellar” and “salt shaker” are synonymous.
I call an open container with salt in it a 'salt cellar'. In my case, it's a small ceramic ramekin. I like to be able to grab a pinch of salt to toss into a dish or on top of food. My wife insists on having a tiny spoon in the thing to dole out what she wants. The cellar contains half Jacobson Sea Salt (locally made on the Oregon coast), and half iodized table salt (for the iodine).

Yes, I'm a snowflake.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

A container that you turn upside down and shake is a shaker. A container that you turn a crank or dial on to grind the contents is a mill. A cellar is the food storage area in the basement of the house.

The usual pairing is either two shakers, or a shaker for salt and a mill for pepper. I've seen salt mills, too, but they're just pure impractical pretension, based on the premise that a mill is better for pepper, and therefore it must also be better for salt.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
For me:

Daily use is a salt cellar and a pepper mill. When measuring for cooking, I usually use a can of ground black pepper.
Same, mostly. Generally, I'll grind black pepper for recipes, up to about 1 teaspoon. Above that, or for rubs, I'll reach for coarse ground black pepper. I do use a salt mill filled with large flake sea salt on the table for those times when I under-salt (often, because of Mrs. D_Odds).

This is a salt cellar, and is very similar to my own.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:13 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post

This is a salt cellar, and is very similar to my own.
Mine looks like that as well. Got it after seeing Alton use one many years ago.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:22 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
I call an open container with salt in it a 'salt cellar'. In my case, it's a small ceramic ramekin. I like to be able to grab a pinch of salt to toss into a dish or on top of food. My wife insists on having a tiny spoon in the thing to dole out what she wants. The cellar contains half Jacobson Sea Salt (locally made on the Oregon coast), and half iodized table salt (for the iodine).
Henceforth, my ceramic canister of Kosher salt (with dipper) shall be called the “salt cellar.”
Old 08-18-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
... A cellar is the food storage area in the basement of the house.

The usual pairing is either two shakers, or a shaker for salt and a mill for pepper. I've seen salt mills, too, but they're just pure impractical pretension, based on the premise that a mill is better for pepper, and therefore it must also be better for salt.
Do you ever google before you reply?

A "Salt Cellar" is quite common and fairly well known around foodies...sorry, ;lets kick this up a notch, gourmets and gourmands...

My table has a salt cellar with coarse Koshers salt and two pepper mills; one black, one white. cayenne pepper is served in a side ramekin with an espresso spoon.

ymmv
Old 08-18-2019, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisSpaceForRent View Post

A "Salt Cellar" is quite common and fairly well known around foodies...sorry, ;lets kick this up a notch, gourmets and gourmands...

My table has a salt cellar with coarse Koshers salt and two pepper mills; one black, one white. cayenne pepper is served in a side ramekin with an espresso spoon.

ymmv
And for the sake of arguments: grinder=mill. I also have one of those restaurant style sugar dispensers, only made of plastic.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
And for the sake of arguments: grinder=mill. I also have one of those restaurant style sugar dispensers, only made of plastic.
The only response in a french kitchen would be, "you are correct chef"

Mill/grinder...same thing, kinda....

I don't have the sugar dispenser cause I don't use much sugar.

mangia bene
Old 08-18-2019, 08:40 PM

I think if you had had pepper grinder, salt shaker as an option, it would win. That's what I use.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:29 PM

We're odd... we have a turned olive wood salt bowl with cover (guess it's a cellar) filled with kosher salt, and a Unicorn Magnum Plus 9" pepper grinder filled with some kind of peppercorns we got at Penzeys.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:33 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

No, a REALLY odd person would own one of those 4-foot wooden paper grinders waiters used to carry around during the 1970s, when you just ordered a green salad, and they would say “Would you like some FRESH PEPPER?”
Old 08-18-2019, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
No, a REALLY odd person would own one of those 4-foot wooden paper grinders waiters used to carry around during the 1970s, when you just ordered a green salad, and they would say “Would you like some FRESH PEPPER?”
I always hated ground paper on my salad.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Salt Cellar in the kitchen
Salt shaker at the dinner table.
Pepper mill for everything.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:55 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
I always hated ground paper on my salad.
Oh....oh....oh....I thought better of you than that.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:31 PM

All three, though the shakers are for convenience, not for cooking.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:14 PM

Salt shaker on the table. Pepper mill for pepper. Hand and palm for salt from the box while cooking.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:53 PM
Charter Member

Salt cellar (well, a small ramekin with kosher salt) and a pepper mill for me. (For table use. For cooking it’s the same, except a bigger ramekin for the salt and I’ll sometimes just crush the pepper in a mortar or get out a slice grinder if I need a lot.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 08-18-2019 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisSpaceForRent View Post

ymmv
It’s not even a foodie term. My mother in law from Chippewa Falls who is most definitely not a foodie uses it, and I myself learned it in the 80s from an origami book, of all things.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:13 AM

I use shakers, but since I'm from a Hungarian family, they're salt and paprika, not salt and pepper. (I don't much like pepper anyway.)
Old 08-19-2019, 04:16 AM

Black pepper: it's inside the salchichón. When I use it for cooking it's out of an envelope, unmilled. I recently bought a mill but haven't used it yet.

Red pepper, both hot and sweet: shakers.

Salt: sometimes in a cellar, sometimes in a shaker.

Salt and pepper mixture: I hate French cooking stores, I swear they pull me in… it's in a shaker.

Last edited by Nava; 08-19-2019 at 04:17 AM.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Grinder for both salt and pepper. I rarely add salt to anything, and the smallest salt container is a grinder, which unfortunately is as expensive as just a huge container of salt, but the large container will just be taking up space and the grinder will last for years, possibly longer than the large container which will eventually cake up. Pepper on the other hand I use up several spice-containers worth per year.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Salt shaker on the table. Pepper mill for pepper. Hand and palm for salt from the box while cooking.
Exactly this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
..... I've seen salt mills, too, but they're just pure impractical pretension, based on the premise that a mill is better for pepper, and therefore it must also be better for salt.
Surely that's the wrong pretension? People have salt mills so that they can mill their sea salt. On the other hand, people who have actually been to see salt pans, and have observed the seabirds shitting in them, tend to use a shaker.

j
Old 08-19-2019, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

I don't have a proper salt cellar, but I have a pretty blue glass bowl that I keep Kosher salt in for cooking and finishing. I have a regular salt and pepper shaker for my husband. I also have a wooden pepper grinder.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Apparently I'm a snowflake. I really don't care for black pepper at all. I *think* I may have a shaker or grinder somewhere in the house, but I couldn't tell you where they are. I'm not even 100% sure I have any black pepper to begin with. I'll typically leave it out of recipes unless I really feel like it's going to add something (for me), which s rarely.
Kinda the same deal for salt. I like salt, but not when I can taste it. I think it makes a huge difference when I'm cooking, but IMO, if you can taste the salt, it's too much, like way too much*. So, like the pepper shaker, I think there's a salt shaker around somewhere, but I typically just pour it out of the big container when I'm cooking or baking and that's it.

*While I don't like to be able to taste salt in what I cook (or bake), I like it in places where you're supposed to taste it, crackers, chips, that kind of stuff.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:32 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

When cooking I take salt from a smallish ceramic canister with a tight fitting lid to keep moisture out. I've heard of "salt cellars" before but I don't use the term. On the rare occasions when I want to add salt to my food after it's cooked and on my plate, I use a salt shaker.

About 90 percent of the time, my pepper comes from an electric pepper mill, both during cooking and on the plate. I have a couple of hand-crank pepper mills but I don't use them as often now that I have the electric one. I also have a jar of pre-ground pepper that I use for a handful of recipes that call for so many teaspoons of pepper. That's mostly for homemade sausage and a few canning recipes. It has a built-in perforated shaker in the lid, but when I use pre-ground pepper, I usually remove the lid and measure out the pepper with a measuring spoon.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

There's a cellar with fine grain salt next to the stove (next to the pepper grinder) but what I usually grab for day to day salting is a shaker of Goya Adobo con Pimenta. Also note that salt cellars are sometimes called pigs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I've never seen the point of fresh-ground salt. It's a rock.
You can control the grain size when you grind it yourself.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

My salt in a larger mis en place dish, pepper in a grinder. Actually, two grinders, although I will dispense of the old one. The new one (a Unicorn Magnum, that's really its name) has an awesome efficiency. The old one might go to the Salvation Army.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:48 AM

Shaker, had to look up cellars, don't recall hearing that term before.
Do they have a special purpose?
Old 08-19-2019, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
Shaker, had to look up cellars, don't recall hearing that term before.
Do they have a special purpose?
They're just more convenient next to the stove, particularly in a restaurant setting. Ain't no cook got time for a salt shaker in that environment. Of course, that's a much larger container than for a home cook. Good cooking (in my opinion, of course) requires an astonishing amount of salt, and a shaker just isn't up to the task. I like to be able to just reach over and either grab a healthy pinch, or to just pick up the bowl and shovel some into a pot of pasta water.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
Salt shaker.

It's not a pepper mill. It's a pepper grinder.
Thank you.

Quote:
I The cellar contains half Jacobson Sea Salt (locally made on the Oregon coast), and half iodized table salt (for the iodine).

Yes, I'm a snowflake.
Teak salt mill and pepper grinder, bought at Harrods.

Brabantia salt and pepper crushers, each of which can be operated one-handed. We were told only to put black peppercorns, even though the picture shows multi-colored peppercorns.

Stoneware salt and pepper shakers, which match our tableware.

Various salts (pink, black, sea, etc.) received as a gift.

Currently don't have any Jacobson salt, but I'll be closer to the source next month.

Special snowflake, dontcha know.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Daily use is a salt cellar and a pepper mill
This is me.

Salt is invisible coming out of a shaker. I can't understand how people judge how much salt is going on the food.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:56 PM

For cooking there's an old gelato container full of kosher salt by the stove. I used to use shakers there, but they kept disappearing. No one has ever taken off with my gelato "cellar." I very much prefer fresh ground pepper, so I have a pepper mill near the stove too. Sometime soon though, I'm going to have to give in and get an electric one. On the dining table there are mills for both, and a special shaker for my "fake" salt.

While there is a substantial difference between a food mill and a food grinder, pepper mill and pepper grinder CAN be used interchangeably. I had one once that was technically a shaver - it shaved the corns into incredibly thin slices. That thing was the bomb, but it finally died, and I've never been able to find another one.

Last edited by TruCelt; 08-19-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Well, my wife found the old pepper grinder in the garage, and told me, "don't give it away!"

Anyone have any suggestions of what I can put into it that isn't pepper? The new pepper grinder delivers prodigious quantities of pepper that the old one doesn't. Should I fill it with salt? Is that compatible with a pepper grinder? Or maybe, cardamom? Definitely not nutmeg or cassia.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:37 PM

Forgot about the margarita salt. Seems that many bars are trying to get away with using normal table salt on their margaritas. Homes standards are a bit higher.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
Well, my wife found the old pepper grinder in the garage, and told me, "don't give it away!"

Anyone have any suggestions of what I can put into it that isn't pepper? The new pepper grinder delivers prodigious quantities of pepper that the old one doesn't. Should I fill it with salt? Is that compatible with a pepper grinder? Or maybe, cardamom? Definitely not nutmeg or cassia.
Toasted coriander seeds, mustard seeds, allspice, maybe toasted cumin seeds, but they're small.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:26 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I use salt and pepper mills. I have a few different sets. I would like a salt cellar for the counter near the stove but I haven't found one I like yet.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolores Reborn View Post
Toasted coriander seeds, mustard seeds, allspice, maybe toasted cumin seeds, but they're small.
Cumin! That's the ticket. I'll experiment with them; hopefully they won't jam up the clockwork.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Freshly-ground pepper is just nicer than the preground stuff in a can, so a pepper grinder.

And I've actually gotten into the habit of using a salt grinder as well because it's a finer grind.