Old 08-14-2019, 08:16 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayne Ded View Post
Setting aside issues of whether the armor, clothes or uniforms are accurate, I get the feeling that Hollywood knows zilch about the military except as a sort of really cool theme park.What they get wrong: senior officers who are not frostily formal, especially with lower ranks. Lower ranks and ordinary soldiers who argue with officers, or show less than the usual respect. "Uh, yes, soldier, that's a great idea, now report for latrine cleaning duties. For the next week."

Military hardware. Everything thing from anachronistic rifles (Lee-Enflields in the back ranks in Zulu) to vehicles. Given, for example, the shortage of authentic WW2 planes and vehicles, you get used to seeing some creative substiitutions. Frankly, the only answer is CGI.

Try Nitpickers.con if you want to catch all the bloopers.
Watch military movies in the various base theaters [mrAru and I saw Hunt for Red October on the submarine base here in Connecticut ... that was a hoot =) mrAru was stationed on hte Miami at the time =) ]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
People whose lives depend on the health of their horses will ostentatiously make a point of taking care of the horses first, themselves second.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
And, in fact, the horse probably found the water in the first place. They require upwards of ten gallons a day and can smell a water hole a lot further off than Cowboy Bob can.

Exactly - anybody who has ever needed to rely on their horse to stay alive on a trip understands this, they are not machines, they are pretty delicate for their size.

What chapped my ass was a documentary back in the late 80s/early 90s about going on pilgrimmage to Jerusalem, and a bunch of assholes rode several sets of horses to death between France and Jerusalem. I guess all their research never pointed out that you only really rode about 6 hours of a day, and you stop for a day every 3 or 4 days, and for really bad weather ... you can not ride day in and day out for weeks and weeks at a time ... I want to horsewhip the assholes who killed off horses to make a tv show ...
Old 08-14-2019, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

On the other hand, I grant that it is unrealistic, but can horses be trained to drink moderately, or pretend to drink? If the horse were trained to drink and the scene required several takes then there might be a danger of the actual horse getting overwatered.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

Any death by gunshot, prior to Bonnie And Clyde (1967 movie). The Magnificent Seven and the Dollars trilogy are certainly great movies, but they show people shot and instantly dead, without a visible mark on their bodies. That looks ridiculous to a modern audience.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpasswords View Post
(Turning on lights in a warehouse, etc.)

Sounds like turning circuit breakers on or off. click...click..click...click... I used to work in a 2,000 foot industrial space, and at the end of the day, five clicks followed by the squeak and clank of closing the door on the breaker panel, and the lights were out. No big ka-WHUNK, and no mechanized chack-chack-chack-chack-chack as the lights are sequenced on or off down the length of the building.

What pulls me out of a story is wrong telephones. Things like a phone with modular plugs in the 50s or as happened in Rocketman, phones on the wrong continent. As I wrote in the Goofs section at IMDB: "The phone next to the bed at Mama Cass' house is British - a GPO 722, which would not work in the US as among other things, it has the wrong kind of plug."
Well, I work in Sports Lighting, and I can assure you that (older) lighting controls make a HUGE clunk when they are turned on. I once nearly crapped in my pants when we activated a 1960’s-vintage contractor. It sounded like a gunshot!
Old 08-15-2019, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
An episode of Monk did that once. Monk and Natalie were trying to determine whether the suspect could have made it from her home in Richmond (where she had an alibi) to the victim's house in Novato by the time the murder took place on a motorcycle. Cut to a montage of them riding through... downtown San Francisco. Anyone who actually knows where Richmond and Novato are knows you would never drive through San Francisco to travel between the two cities.
In a similar vein, The Graduate had Benjamin traveling from Southern California to Berkeley to stop Elaine's wedding and using the top deck on the Oakland Bay Bridge... which is westbound. I guess he felt he had time to stop for some take-out in Chinatown.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
An episode of Monk did that once. Monk and Natalie were trying to determine whether the suspect could have made it from her home in Richmond (where she had an alibi) to the victim's house in Novato by the time the murder took place on a motorcycle. Cut to a montage of them riding through... downtown San Francisco. Anyone who actually knows where Richmond and Novato are knows you would never drive through San Francisco to travel between the two cities.
Monk was absolutely terrible with San Francisco, well, everything. Drinking at a bar that was still open at 5am, SF native Adrian Monk calling freeways "The 101," Obvious blue and white LA streetsigns, SFPD having jurisdiction all over the Bay Area, saying things like "That's the 4:30 BART from San Jose!" or "It's 20 minutes to Monterey County, let's go!"

Quote:
In a similar vein, The Graduate had Benjamin traveling from Southern California to Berkeley to stop Elaine's wedding and using the top deck on the Oakland Bay Bridge... which is westbound. I guess he felt he had time to stop for some take-out in Chinatown.
And he was driving eastbound, which means they had to shut down traffic on the Bay Bridge to get that shot, during the day, which blows my mind.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff
Well, I work in Sports Lighting, and I can assure you that (older) lighting controls make a HUGE clunk when they are turned on. I once nearly crapped in my pants when we activated a 1960’s-vintage contractor. It sounded like a gunshot!
OK, so I momentarily forgot about relays and contactors. Still a crack, rather than the stereotyped ka-HUNK!

Do the big lighting systems still use electromechanical devices? I'm assuming it's moving to DMX control with silent triacs or small relays inside the instruments that just go >tick<.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
And he was driving eastbound, which means they had to shut down traffic on the Bay Bridge to get that shot, during the day, which blows my mind.
Hmmm. He's on the suspension (western) end of the bridge and that looks more like San Francisco than Yerba Buena Island ahead of him. Also, the camera is on the shady (north) side making west to the right. Sure looks like he's driving west to me.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
"That's the 4:30 BART from San Jose!"
That reminded me of another bad one from Monk: "He's probably fleeing by train -- check San Bruno, or maybe Millbrae." The only trains you can catch there are Caltrain, which can only take you as far as Gilroy. All the Amtrak trains run through the East Bay. I mean, it is possible to take Caltrain to San Jose and transfer to Amtrak there, but it was strongly implied that the suspect was taking a long distance train from San Bruno, not a commuter train. They even showed a full on train station with indoor seating, not the sort of platform Caltrain uses.

Psych was equally bad with Santa Barbara, doing things like showing people jogging on trails through lush coniferous forests, nothing like the sort of flora you'd find in that area. Vancouver might be able to stand in as a generic North American city in many cases, but it looks nothing like Santa Barbara.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:50 PM

A subset of the 'unnecessary noises' category- animals cannot enter a scene without making a noise. Snake species that are silent in the rest of the world nevertheless hiss in Hollywood. Cats meow, occasionally closed mouthed, at the sight of a camera. Plus that hawk that lives in every desert, and the ubiquitous frogs.

It doesn't seem to matter at all if the noise is appropriate or not, and any animal with an open mouth means a roar; this is admittedly not Hollywood, but it's a somewhat extreme silly example, from a team that really, really should know better.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hmmm. He's on the suspension (western) end of the bridge and that looks more like San Francisco than Yerba Buena Island ahead of him. Also, the camera is on the shady (north) side making west to the right. Sure looks like he's driving west to me.
Huh - you could be right, in which case he's taking a curious route to Berkeley.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Like I said, he couldn't resist a detour to get some take-out from Sam Wo.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:46 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
Any death by gunshot, prior to Bonnie And Clyde (1967 movie). The Magnificent Seven and the Dollars trilogy are certainly great movies, but they show people shot and instantly dead, without a visible mark on their bodies. That looks ridiculous to a modern audience.
Related: being stabbed in the abdomen with any size blade = instant death.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:03 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Also, whenever someone has been without access to a razor or any other way of grooming their facial hair (including cavemen), even if their beard is scraggly and disheveled, their mustache will somehow miraculously be trimmed over their mouth.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
Related: being stabbed in the abdomen with any size blade = instant death.
Unless it's the protagonist who needs to staunch the blood, stagger a little and wince a lot. Then, thanks to gritty determination and having truth on his side, dispatch the stabber.

This is one thing that takes me out of a movie: the Plot-Specific Event.

Knives kill instantly if the plot needs that, or a mild inconvenience if that's what the script says. Bad guys are laughably terrible shots and good guys can dodge and weave through an assortment of randomly-aimed bullets... until the plot says it's time to take out the Plucky Sidekick. Then suddenly it's time for one shot with surgical precision.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Someone mentioned empty suitcases. Something that really bugs me more than it really should is empty coffee containers and the like. I know they're props, but put some liquid in them so they're not obviously empty. Anyone who has had a coffee or a soft drink out of a disposable cup knows how it moves when full and how it sounds when you put it down on a table. If it make a hollow plok! noise, it's empty. Also, the scenes where one person brings another person a container of coffee and they immediately take a big ol' swig instead of first seeing whether or not it's going to melt their tongue. On top of that, they tip it back so far, they'd be wearing the contents.
What bugs me is when a character is shown pouring a hot drink of some sort into a cup, and the sound of the liquid going into the cup is wrong. Haven't they noticed that the sound of hot liquid being poured is distinctly different (a higher pitch) from a cold liquid?
Old 08-17-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
In Casablanca, the door of the German Legation in the French Moroccan city is lettered, naturally, in English.
... And Claude Rains is telling Rick "You couldn't have come here for the waters, we're in the middle of the desert."

Uh, no, you're not. Casablanca is on the windward side of the Atlas Mountains, not far from the West African coast. The climate there is a lot like Los Angeles's, and Los Angeles is not in the desert.

Last edited by terentii; 08-17-2019 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
... And Claude Rains is telling Rick "You couldn't have come here for the waters, we're in the middle of the desert."

Uh, no, you're not. Casablanca is on the windward side of the Atlas Mountains, not far from the West African coast. The climate there is a lot like Los Angeles's, and Los Angeles is not in the desert.
A friend of mine visited Morocco several years ago, and I kept commenting on her social media photos just how much it looked like California. There were wildflowers everywhere (it was springtime when she went). I admit I had the mistaken image of Morocco as desert. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised -- they say California has a "Mediterranean" climate, and Morocco is a Mediterranean country (I know, Casablanca isn't on the Mediterranean coast, but on the Atlantic).
Old 08-17-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
A friend of mine visited Morocco several years ago, and I kept commenting on her social media photos just how much it looked like California. There were wildflowers everywhere (it was springtime when she went). I admit I had the mistaken image of Morocco as desert. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised -- they say California has a "Mediterranean" climate, and Morocco is a Mediterranean country (I know, Casablanca isn't on the Mediterranean coast, but on the Atlantic).
The scene where Major Strasser arrives was filmed at Van Nuys Airport.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpasswords View Post
OK, so I momentarily forgot about relays and contactors. Still a crack, rather than the stereotyped ka-HUNK!

Do the big lighting systems still use electromechanical devices? I'm assuming it's moving to DMX control with silent triacs or small relays inside the instruments that just go >tick<.
Contactors are still widely used, but more and more LED fixtures are being installed, and they are pretty much silent. Even modern contactors are pretty quiet. I've heard some new ones that are so quiet that I thought they weren't working.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:

To be fair, Los Angeles is not where you would go for ‘the waters’. That statement may even be on the Salton Sea tourist T-shirt’s.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:43 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
...And he was driving eastbound, which means they had to shut down traffic on the Bay Bridge to get that shot, during the day, which blows my mind.
In the so-so Kevin Costner pro football film Draft Day, he drives an absolutely nonsensical route across Cleveland. Anyone watching who's from the city would ask, "Why the hell would he drive all over the place like that?"
Old 08-18-2019, 02:40 AM

American made productions set in London are notorious for that (and give a lot of amusement to Londoners) where for example a character arrives at LHR and on their way to their hotel in the centre, pass by St Pauls on their way to the hotel next to the Houses of Parliament.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
That reminded me of the famous car chase in Bullitt, and how the bad guys' car (a Dodge Charger) keeps losing hubcaps, and seems to keep regenerating them. IIRC, it loses like six hubcaps over the course of the scene.

Edit: apparently, it was actually eight hubcaps.
I overlooked this one earlier but since I've sort of got a Bay Area theme going in this thread, the chase route was... creative. The two cars would round a corner and straighten out two miles away.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:46 PM

There was a seriously blatant continuity error in Our Man in Havana. Alec Guinness goes to a luncheon where the host is holding a black dachshund. He puts the dog down, and it drinks a poisoned cocktail and keels over. The dog's owner rushes over and picks it up. Both times the owner is holding the dog it's the black one. When it's walking around on its own, it's a RED dachshund.

It was a B&W movie, but it's still possible to differentiate between the two coat colors. The only thing I could think was that each dog had different acting abilities?

It was so flagrant to me (maybe because I'm a doxie mom), that I can't believe they did it.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:44 PM

All car chases involve closely matched participants. Sports car vs van, ace hero driver vs amateur, sport bike vs anything, suped-up getaway car vs cop car, all deliver about the same performance.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Gold is waaaay heavier than movies think it is. You can't:
  • Pick up a gold brick with one hand and throw it at Oddjob
  • Have it bounce off of you with no effect, even if you're Oddjob
  • Fill up a dump truck under the Federal Reserve and expect that dump truck to go anywhere
  • Fill up a Mini Cooper and expect it to go anywhere, even with a "beefed up suspension"
  • Swim through an avalanche of gold items inside a Gringotts vault without being crushed
  • Expect a bag of sand to effectively replace the weight of the Golden Idol of the Hovitos
And it was averted in - of all movies - Return from Witch Mountain. The car was destroyed by the gold bars.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:47 AM

Any period movie that has period cars in it. It doesn't matter if they get it right and all the cars in it, even the deep background ones, were made before 1962 or whatever. It doesn't matter if the cars were perfectly selected to reflect the characters and in appropriate condition given their age and use in the movie. When the old cars are on screen, I spend all my time judging them. At best, I appreciate all the work that went into getting the cars right. At worst, I'm distracted by the 1988-era composite headlight taxi cab in the movie set in 1984. But in all cases, I am distracted and taken out of the picture.

I suspect all the people complaining about guns with too many bullets and open chambers, incorrect vintage war machines, or improbable fight physics have the same problem. It doesn't matter if the film actually gets it right; you spent all the movies' run time looking for the mistakes.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:43 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired and Cranky View Post
Any period movie that has period cars in it. It doesn't matter if they get it right and all the cars in it, even the deep background ones, were made before 1962 or whatever....
Have you seen Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (set in 1969) yet? I was impressed by the crowded street scenes and the many vintage cars.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
At worst, I'm distracted by the 1988-era composite headlight taxi cab in the movie set in 1984.
There was a scene in The Americans that featured a post-1987 Caprice with composite headlights in an episode set in 1984. They actually put black tape around the headlights to try and make them look like the sealed beam headlight used on the older models. Even though you can still tell if you're looking closely, I do have to commend them for at least knowing the car was wrong and attempting to hide it. Even though they didn't always get it right that show seemed to at least make an attempt to get appropriate cars. And I know that was hard to do since being a spy show they specifically wanted nondescript cars, the kinds of cars that collectors typically don't bother preserving like Plymouth Reliants and Buick Skylarks.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Any period movie that has period cars in it. It doesn't matter if they get it right and all the cars in it, even the deep background ones, were made before 1962 or whatever...
My favorite thing to do now that I've noticed it is to look at the grill of a vintage car in a movie set in WW2 or whatever, especially a Mercedes. You will inevitably notice an oval-shaped area of the grill that is much cleaner than the rest - it's where they removed the high mileage badge.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:28 PM

Whenever a police car pulls up to the scene, it inevitably issues a "whoop whoop" on the siren. It arrived without the siren on, yet the driver has to activate a "whoop whoop" on the siren as he parks the car. I can't help but think of the driver remembering to reach over and manually activate the quick siren sound as he pulls up, which is stupid and pulls me out of the movie.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Have you seen Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (set in 1969) yet? I was impressed by the crowded street scenes and the many vintage cars.
Are you recommending this film in particular to torment me?

Quote:
There was a scene in The Americans that featured a post-1987 Caprice with composite headlights in an episode set in 1984. They actually put black tape around the headlights to try and make them look like the sealed beam headlight used on the older models. Even though you can still tell if you're looking closely, I do have to commend them for at least knowing the car was wrong and attempting to hide it. Even though they didn't always get it right that show seemed to at least make an attempt to get appropriate cars. And I know that was hard to do since being a spy show they specifically wanted nondescript cars, the kinds of cars that collectors typically don't bother preserving like Plymouth Reliants and Buick Skylarks.
The Americans did a good job with cars as you note - but I was always looking for the background cars that seemed to pop up repeatedly. Like the Mercedes 240 that was in DC and then in Baltimore. It was the Forest Gump of cars.

Quote:
My favorite thing to do now that I've noticed it is to look at the grill of a vintage car in a movie set in WW2 or whatever, especially a Mercedes. You will inevitably notice an oval-shaped area of the grill that is much cleaner than the rest - it's where they removed the high mileage badge.
And now I have a new focus for my obsession.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:59 PM

Something I can see is blatantly wrong. I watched Money Monster and right away I knew the premise was wrong. Basically, a man storms the set of a CNBC-type finance/investing show and holds the host hostage because of some bad financial advice he gave. The guy was able to get past a snoozing guard.

No way, no how. I've been to 30 Rock. The security there is INSANE. There's absolutely no way something like that could happen, especially post 9/11. PERHAPS on some rinky-dink TV station out in the middle of the boonies, but even then, I doubt it.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:05 PM

Missed the edit window.

Even if, by some reason, the guy manages to get on set, there's no way the broadcast would continue live. I think the old Murphy Brown did an episode where they looped the feed into the studio so the guy would think he was still live but he wasn't.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:21 AM

Not a movie, but a tv series. I was just watching an episode of the Australian series, "Doctor Blake Mysteries". It's established in the episode that it takes place in 1960. A closeup of a police detective clearly showed that his ears had been pierced.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Gold is waaaay heavier than movies think it is. You can't:
  • Pick up a gold brick with one hand and throw it at Oddjob
  • Have it bounce off of you with no effect, even if you're Oddjob
  • Fill up a dump truck under the Federal Reserve and expect that dump truck to go anywhere
  • Fill up a Mini Cooper and expect it to go anywhere, even with a "beefed up suspension"
  • Swim through an avalanche of gold items inside a Gringotts vault without being crushed
  • Expect a bag of sand to effectively replace the weight of the Golden Idol of the Hovitos
Yeah, I remember in Kelly's Heroes when they're all jumping around celebrating at the stack of gold-filled boxes. Someone accidentally hits a box with their flailing hand and sends it flying like a, oh.. an empty balsa wood prop. I mean, it wasn't even a regular wood box which would still have had enough mass even empty to not be accidentally flung around by an errant arm swing.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:56 AM

Sets that turn up in work after work with (or without) the slightest modification. I'm thinking specifically about the diner in Pulp Fiction. Also, the courtyard on Cestus III in the Star Trek episode "Arena" somehow became that of a Latin American prison on Mission: Impossible (the two series were filmed at Desilu/Paramount studios). In another episode of M:I, Enterprise corridors served as the interior of a secret laboratory behind the Iron Curtain. In both cases, the effect was jarring.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Not a movie, but a tv series. I was just watching an episode of the Australian series, "Doctor Blake Mysteries". It's established in the episode that it takes place in 1960. A closeup of a police detective clearly showed that his ears had been pierced.
Hairstyles from much later periods on actors playing characters in the '30s, '40s, '50s. I'm thinking here of M*A*S*H especially.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Sets that turn up in work after work with (or without) the slightest modification. I'm thinking specifically about the diner in Pulp Fiction. Also, the courtyard on Cestus III in the Star Trek episode "Arena" somehow became that of a Latin American prison on Mission: Impossible (the two series were filmed at Desilu/Paramount studios). In another episode of M:I, Enterprise corridors served as the interior of a secret laboratory behind the Iron Curtain. In both cases, the effect was jarring.
There's an alley in Vancouver that shows up everywhere.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
There's this set with a brick wall with arches in it that seems to show up whenever a TV show needs a basement or warehouse type setting. I first noticed it in Perfect Strangers when I was a kid, where it was their apartment building's basement (the episode where they get trapped in the slowly flooding basement). Then it showed up again a few years later as the basement of the Winslow house in Family Matters. Then years later I noticed it again in The King of Queens, a show I didn't even watch that much but just happened to see this particular episode. Now it was the warehouse / distribution center for the fictional delivery company Kevin James's character worked for.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitnam View Post
To be fair, Los Angeles is not where you would go for ‘the waters’.
This is true, but LA, like Casablanca, is still not in the middle of the desert.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
You know, I assume, about Star Trek's use of the Mayberry set. The streets from Mayberry turn up in four different episodes. Most notably, in "City on the Edge of Forever," Kirk and Edith Keeler walk right past Floyd's Barber Shop.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
You know, I assume, about Star Trek's use of the Mayberry set. The streets from Mayberry turn up in four different episodes. Most notably, in "City on the Edge of Forever," Kirk and Edith Keeler walk right past Floyd's Barber Shop.
Oh, yeah. I think it was used in the original The Untouchables too. In the '60s, Desilu was renting space to a lot of different series, and they often swapped sets. IIRC, Gomer Pyle's barracks turned up in I Spy (or maybe The Man from UNCLE; I don't remember exactly), and the ones in Hogan's Heroes were used in an episode of Mission: Impossible.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:54 PM

In John Wick 2, he's fighting through The Oculus in Lower Manhattan and the fight ends up on a NJ PATH train. That's fine, until the train starts moving and the loudspeaker starts announcing "Canal Street" and other stops not on the NJ Path network.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:13 PM

I don't know the real name, but I call them The Paramount Back-lot Mountain Range. Star Trek: TOS fans will instantly know what I mean.

Last edited by burpo the wonder mutt; 08-21-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
I don't know the real name, but I call them The Paramount Back-lot Mountain Range. Star Trek: TOS fans will instantly know what I mean.
You mean Vasquez Rocks?
Old 08-21-2019, 08:28 PM

That's them. Much obliged.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Unless it's the protagonist who needs to staunch the blood, stagger a little and wince a lot. Then, thanks to gritty determination and having truth on his side, dispatch the stabber.

This is one thing that takes me out of a movie: the Plot-Specific Event.

Knives kill instantly if the plot needs that, or a mild inconvenience if that's what the script says. Bad guys are laughably terrible shots and good guys can dodge and weave through an assortment of randomly-aimed bullets... until the plot says it's time to take out the Plucky Sidekick. Then suddenly it's time for one shot with surgical precision.
I just mentioned Red Dawn in another thread....fun thing about the show is the lack of insta-kill. And when it does happen its certainly warranted given the armament.

And the final shootout between Swayze and William Smith should happen a lot more in movies. "IM shot!! You're shot!! We're still shooting the shit out of each other!!"

A LOT of the combat (especially early on) seems realistic with all the chaos of a firefight.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:24 PM

Someone puts a record on a turntable... but it's the wrong type (an LP on an old Victrola)... or playing at the wrong speed (a 78 turning at 33 1/3)... or turning counterclockwise... or the music skips so that one bit of a song plays over and over, but with a frequency that no actual record would do.

Ooooooh! That makes me mad! (Yosemite Sam voice)