Old 01-10-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorene View Post
Whoa. Now there's an anti-vax kids' book.
Efforts are being made to chase after her. I'm against censorship. I'm not in favor of giving every nut a platform.

Here's a petition urging publishers not to go near it. It's self published so that should be a nearly automatic indication that the book does not deserve access to readers.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:12 PM

A very large vendor has removed the book for sale in Australia:

Quote:
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/hea...-1226551911539

AUSTRALIA'S largest online bookstore will no longer sell a book that promotes the "marvellous" benefits of measles.
I think we can call this a victory for sanity and common sense.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:50 PM

One of my facebook friends keeps posting anti-vax garbage. Arrgh.

I've been busy, but I still intend to request that book for the local library. (LavenderBlue's book!)

Last edited by EmilyG; 01-10-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderBlue View Post
Efforts are being made to chase after her. I'm against censorship. I'm not in favor of giving every nut a platform.

Here's a petition urging publishers not to go near it. It's self published so that should be a nearly automatic indication that the book does not deserve access to readers.
The reviews on amazon.uk are a riot - even the 5 star ones. There's only one supporting one that I can see and that's an appeal to pity for the author whose kid died and she blames MMR vaccine
Old 01-13-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Miskatonic View Post
The reviews on amazon.uk are a riot - even the 5 star ones. There's only one supporting one that I can see and that's an appeal to pity for the author whose kid died and she blames MMR vaccine
At least Messenger is getting publicity. A previous antivax book she co-authored with Meryl Dorey has a grand total of one (one-star) review (act now, only two copies left on Amazon at $192 apiece).
Old 01-15-2013, 09:58 PM

Wherein I recently pwned an anti-vax idiot on a podcast.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:44 PM

I'm a little late with this, but apparently there was a small error in LB's book, and the anti-vax crowd went utterly apeshit
Old 01-24-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
I'm a little late with this, but apparently there was a small error in LB's book, and the anti-vax crowd went utterly apeshit
Wow. Some people have way, way, WAY too much time on their hands.

What a wackjob that lady is with the two Facebook pages about this book.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:41 PM

I swear my next writing project is going to the most frivolous historical fiction imaginable. It gets a litle tiring constantly being called a baby-killing-Nazi-pharmashill. Bring on the parasols and the princesses! The tiaras and the teacups.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:48 AM

Quote:
I swear my next writing project is going to the most frivolous historical fiction imaginable. It gets a litle tiring constantly being called a baby-killing-Nazi-pharmashill. Bring on the parasols and the princesses! The tiaras and the teacups.
Oh, go ahead and set feminism back all those years, why don't you...
Old 01-25-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Oh, go ahead and set feminism back all those years, why don't you...
But they'll be princesses who vaccinate so it will be okay.

Thomas Jefferson was so delighted with the smallpox vaccine he actually learned how to administer it.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:48 PM

Yeah, sorry LavenderBlue, but I really hope you knew that the anti-vax crowd were some of the most viscous, nasty, and near-psychotic woo crowd out there. Otherwise this kind of reaction would have been quite a shocker.

Seriously: what is wrong with these people?
Old 01-28-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Yeah, sorry LavenderBlue, but I really hope you knew that the anti-vax crowd were some of the most viscous, nasty, and near-psychotic woo crowd out there. Otherwise this kind of reaction would have been quite a shocker.

Seriously: what is wrong with these people?
Oh we knew they were crazy going in. We even goaded them by asking for a foreword by Dr. Offit and a review by Orac himself. But this was an itch I had to scratch. I almost had no choice about it. I'm just about done scratching at this point, though.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
some of the most viscous, nasty, and near-psychotic woo crowd out there.
True, they can be quite snotty...
Old 03-03-2013, 09:47 PM

I will be making a keynote address to the Essex Metro Immunization Coalition in East Orange, New Jersey, on March 20! The presentation will be at New Hope Baptist Church of East Orange, 144 Norman Street, East Orange, from 1 - 3 p.m.

Please feel free to join me.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:36 PM

Bumping this up to say that Your Baby's Best Shot: Why Vaccines are Safe and Save Lives is a finalist in the Book of the Year Awards from Foreward Reviews. We've been nominated in the Health (Adult Nonfiction) category.

Yes!!!!!
Old 06-27-2013, 04:57 PM
Retired Straight Dope Staff
Charter Member

Hooray!
Old 06-27-2013, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Yay! can we vote?
Old 06-27-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Yay! can we vote?

Don't we wish?
Old 06-27-2013, 07:35 PM

The winners will be announced tomorrow at the American Library Association's annual conference:

Quote:
https://botya.forewordreviews.com/fi...press-release/

Over the next two months, a panel of sixty judges, librarians and booksellers only, will determine the winners. Gold, Silver, and Bronze awards, as well as Editorís Choice Prizes for Fiction and Nonfiction, will be announced at the American Library Association (ALA) Annual Conference in Chicago, Friday, June 28th, 6pm at The Pop Top Stage. The winners of the two Editorís Choice Prizes will be awarded $1,500 each. ForeWordís Independent Publisher of the Year will also be announced.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:39 PM

I'd vote for you if I could!

I still need to get myself a copy of the book.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Bumping this up to say that Your Baby's Best Shot: Why Vaccines are Safe and Save Lives is a finalist in the Book of the Year Awards from Foreward Reviews. We've been nominated in the Health (Adult Nonfiction) category.

Yes!!!!!

congratulations!!!
Old 06-29-2013, 07:22 PM

On behalf of my 2 year old son, who will be starting preschool in a few months (and so be in daily contact with kids), thank you. Who knows? You may have saved his life. It's a statistical probability your book is saving SOMEBODY'S life right now.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:53 PM

The envelope please....
Old 07-03-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
The envelope please....
We didn't win anything. The next book will, damn it! We hope to have a proposal in front of a publisher by year's end.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
We didn't win anything. The next book will, damn it! We hope to have a proposal in front of a publisher by year's end.

That's okay. We like you. We really like you!

Old 07-06-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
That's okay. We like you. We really like you!

Thank you. You are so sweet.

The book drives me crazy. I can't even really read it again because all I can think is how I would have reworded dozens and dozens of sentences.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:29 PM

Not even a hint of what the next book will be about?
Old 07-09-2013, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thank you. You are so sweet.

The book drives me crazy. I can't even really read it again because all I can think is how I would have reworded dozens and dozens of sentences.
That probably means you are a good writer.

I'm proud of the work you do. And you took a lot of heat for it. Major props.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Whoa. Now there's an anti-vax kids' book.
If I could draw worth a damn I'd publish an update of this book using info about Jonas Salk and the polio vaccine instead of Pasteur and the rabies vaccine. The story could use some updating to reflect it's not like injecting soldiers into your body(as it would be with antiviral treatments or antibiotics) but it's about training your body's soldiers how to fight so they'll be ready when they're attacked. The mechanisms of the immune system are pretty cool, and kids could do well to have a good picture book which accurately reflects how it works in response to a vaccine.

Enjoy,
Steven
Old 07-09-2013, 02:56 PM

FYI, on the "promoting the book" angle, there is a radio interview program produced by the Dallas/Ft. Worth NPR affiliate, KERA, called "Think" which has hour-long interviews and takes calls on-air with authors just like you guys. They have done interviews about the HPV vaccine, and talked about infectious tropical diseases and their spread(streaming podcast available) and I think this book may be just up their alley. They also offer to buy books for donors during the pledge drives, so if you get on during the pledge drive you may be able to get the station to buy some copies as thank you gifts if you do an intriguing interview. This is Texas, so you may get some anti-vax callers that you will need to be able to firmly but respectfully rebut. That having been said, KERA has one of the largest listening audiences in the nation, both in terms of ratings and coverage.

You can listen to some of the podcasts in their archive to get a feel for the types of interviews they do. Keep in mind the host does read the book before every interview, so expect some intelligent questions about the contents, not just vague generalities.

Enjoy,
Steven
Old 07-15-2013, 10:21 AM

The View just gave a co-host job to Jennie McCarthy. Any chance you guys could get on The View to promote the book?
Old 07-15-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E View Post
The View just gave a co-host job to Jennie McCarthy. Any chance you guys could get on The View to promote the book?
Has there been an official announcement? Kolga and I have been involved in efforts to stop her from being on the show. I had not heard of anything stating it was a done deal. Ugh.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Has there been an official announcement? Kolga and I have been involved in efforts to stop her from being on the show. I had not heard of anything stating it was a done deal. Ugh.
In case no one here reads Cafe Society, yes, I was watching The View this morning when Baba herself announced it. I really don't watch it anymore but I happened to be awake earlier than usual today.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:14 PM

Hey, remember this book?

Our publisher, Rowman & Littlefield, informed us today that they are releasing it in paperback in early 2015!

Both LavenderCat and I know that this board has been a huge support for the book, and we couldn't have made it this far without you. Thank you all!
Old 07-17-2014, 07:41 PM

Very cool.
Remember this motto to live by: Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather one should aim to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, glass of Scotch in the other, your body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO! Man, what a ride!"
Old 07-20-2014, 10:57 PM

Ex-cellent
Old 07-27-2014, 06:45 PM

Great to hear. I am finishing nurse practitioner school and recently did my peds rotation. Anything that I can point to in order to demonstrate that vaccinations are safe I'm all up for.

If you ever get the desire to take on fever phobia I have a mediocre masters culminating project that can point us all in the right direction.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinoons View Post
Great to hear. I am finishing nurse practitioner school and recently did my peds rotation. Anything that I can point to in order to demonstrate that vaccinations are safe I'm all up for.

If you ever get the desire to take on fever phobia I have a mediocre masters culminating project that can point us all in the right direction.
Fever phobia? All of the woo-heads that we've encountered in relation to this issue WORSHIP fever - it's "the body's way of cleansing itself," it "resets the immune system," it's "evidence of the natural healing properties of the body." More feverphilic than feverphobic
Old 07-27-2014, 07:20 PM

All good things to be sure, but god forbid we augment that with a little (no so) modern science.

I'm currently an emergency room RN (for only 6 more months, yay!) and I educate at least 3-4 parents a day on the fact that a fever is merely a symptom of a child's illness and by itself is in no way harmful to the child.

Sorry to get too far off topic -- the book looks great and I've order a copy.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinoons View Post
I'm currently an emergency room RN (for only 6 more months, yay!) and I educate at least 3-4 parents a day on the fact that a fever is merely a symptom of a child's illness and by itself is in no way harmful to the child.
I hope you mean "within reason," since high fevers can certainly be harmful.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:21 PM

How so? Brain damage does not occur until 107-108 degrees. A fever will practically never get that bad -- which is why it is important to make the distinction between hyperthermia and a fever. If you over bundle a child or lock them in a car then they can get hyperthermia and die. A body setting it's internal thermostat to "fever" won't do that.

Even in the case of febrile seizures there are no lasting health effects or predisposition to fevers later in life.

Since the advent of HIB and PCV immunizations the rate of peds bacteremia is also virtually zero. Unless a child looks septic or has specific symptoms to direct additional testing current treatment recommendations for vaccinated kids over 90 days and a fever >102.2 is a UA only. Additional testing usually isn't even considered until 104 degrees.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:25 AM
Retired Straight Dope Staff
Charter Member

In 1995, our pediatrician said the thing about fevers: with rare exception harmless in and of themselves. She recommended treating them with Tylenol for (as she put it) "humanitarian reasons". The kids just feel better when the fever is down. But the fever itself isn't the problem.

She did send us to the ER who my son ran a 106F, since he was under a year old, that was getting quite high and because it could be a sign of a bad infection.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:28 AM

What I was taught (in a 2011 Peds rotation of nursing, not medical school) is that it's not the fever that is dangerous, but the speed of the onset. That is, fever of 104 that comes on during the course of a day or two, not a big deal. Fever of 104, give 'em some Tylenol, temp goes to 99, don't give 'em Tylenol 6 hours later and fever of 104 shoots back up over an hour - seizure risk. So it's really important, if you do decide to give fever reducers, to keep giving them until the kid is feeling better.

Anyone know if this is the current thinking, or am I out of date?
Old 07-28-2014, 10:50 AM

The current research points towards a temperature of greater than 104 degrees increasing the likelihood of febrile seizures and that the rate of temperature increasing does not matter. Additionally, the use of antipyretics appears to be ineffective at preventing recurrence of febrile seizures.

(if the OP would prefer we can take this discussion from her tread to GQ -- just give us a gentle nudge)

reference:
http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1979297.../name/p149.pdf
Old 07-31-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
What I was taught (in a 2011 Peds rotation of nursing, not medical school) is that it's not the fever that is dangerous, but the speed of the onset. That is, fever of 104 that comes on during the course of a day or two, not a big deal. Fever of 104, give 'em some Tylenol, temp goes to 99, don't give 'em Tylenol 6 hours later and fever of 104 shoots back up over an hour - seizure risk. So it's really important, if you do decide to give fever reducers, to keep giving them until the kid is feeling better.

Anyone know if this is the current thinking, or am I out of date?
Even then, the seizures themselves aren't a huge deal - as long as the kid doesn't hurt themselves during it. Scary as hell, but not a huge deal.

My son ended up in a seizure loop which could have been the sign of something more serious. In his case, the brain got in the habit during the fever. Valium broke the loop and that was the last seizure he had - fourteen years ago.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:31 PM

I frequently see "only one available" on my own Amazon pages and know other people see it too -- I wouldn't worry about it; I honestly think it's a gimmick to get people on the fence with a book to go ahead and order. Sure they'll soon show "Gotta warn you, another buyer here was just on the lot and very interested in this item. Said he'd be back this afternoon."
Old 08-09-2014, 12:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolga View Post
Hey, remember this book?

Our publisher, Rowman & Littlefield, informed us today that they are releasing it in paperback in early 2015!

Both LavenderCat and I know that this board has been a huge support for the book, and we couldn't have made it this far without you. Thank you all!
Two things:

First, that's wonderful news!

Second, who's LavenderCat?
Old 08-22-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Wherein I recently pwned an anti-vax idiot on a podcast.

Very late, but: good job. That guy was absolutely embarrassing. Basically every BS antivaxxer trope in the book, and you did a pretty damn good job of shredding them.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:56 PM
Dismember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Very late, but: good job. That guy was absolutely embarrassing. Basically every BS antivaxxer trope in the book, and you did a pretty damn good job of shredding them.
Agreed. Well done.