Old 10-29-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
These are both decent every-day darks, but Deschutes' The Abyss is out of this world. Try to get your hands on some when it's released in November.
Iíll keep an eye out for it! I once had some bourbon-barrel-aged Old Rasputin that was a real treat.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:10 PM

I'm mostly an IPA guy. When a darker brew is desired, Brother Thelonious from North Coast fits the bill. Plus my local Costco often carries it, so bargain.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey1505 View Post
Enjoying revisiting the Edmund Fitzgerald from Great Lakes Brewing.
Ah, yes, how could I forget that one! Great choice. I also enjoy a basic Irish stout like Guinness or Murphy's for when I want something dark, but light, if that makes any sense. (That is to say, Guinness is a very drinkable and fairly light beer compared to the types of stouts everybody else seems to make these days.) And I'm always up for a nice oatmeal stout of any kind, with its dry, grain-like flavor. Last night, I had a Sam Adams Octoberfest, and was reminded that I quite like their take on the style, in addition to my usual German choices.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Great Basin Brewery has Wild Horse which is pretty good.
Do you mean Outlaw Milk Stout? Wild Horse is an amber/altbier.

Second Black Butte, Old Rasputin. Founder's was tasty, but I think not as good as the accolades I heard before trying it. Deschutes also makes the Abyss, which is 11.4% and delicious and pricey.

Fifty Fifty Eclipse

Not a stout or porter, but Big Sky Moose Drool.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
Deschutes also makes the Abyss, which is 11.4% and delicious and pricey.
11.4%? Jesus. And I thought Belgian beers were strong.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:52 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
They still rule, strength-wise: Black Damnation VI.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Some of the Belgian quads get that high. The ubiquitous (at least around here) Rochefort 10 is 11.3%, for example.

And then once you get to the Imperial whatevers, you're looking in the double digit ABV range. Like, for example, the relatively common (once again, at least around here) Dogfish Head 120 is 18% ABV. So is their Worldwide Stout.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
The most famous stout is weak as shit. Guinness is Coors Light strength.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:27 AM

I like original Guinness, but it's like sludge. Too thick! I usually like a good IPA but, for a change of pace, I like a "Black and Tan". I add about 1/3 Guinness to 2/3 IPA, and I get a nice blend that has the Guinness taste but isn't as thick and rich.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah, it's very light. 4.2% It was my beer of choice when I was losing weight. I really don't understand comments that it is "like sludge." Maybe because it's a nitro pour? I mean, in that case, it does have a creamier mouthfeel, but it still goes down easy. Otherwise, it is quite light for a stout. You want sludge, try Three Floyd's Dark Lord or Goose Island Bourbon County Stout or any kind of Imperial IPA.

Last edited by pulykamell; 10-30-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Like, for example, the relatively common (once again, at least around here) Dogfish Head 120 is 18% ABV. So is their Worldwide Stout.
A few years ago I was at an event where they offered flights of Dogfish Head 120 of four different vintages. The first sip of each you could really tell the difference, with the oldest being far smoother. Then, as we drank we became far less discerning. It was fun!
Old 10-30-2018, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
A few years ago I was at an event where they offered flights of Dogfish Head 120 of four different vintages. The first sip of each you could really tell the difference, with the oldest being far smoother. Then, as we drank we became far less discerning. It was fun!
Heh. When I got married in 2011, I had Dark Lords from 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011 at the after-party at my house. (I had thought ahead and saved them up for just such an occasion.) A bit of a vertical tasting, I guess. You could definitely tell the difference from one vintage to the next, but I also think their recipes varied a bit from year to year. But there was a point where the beer tasted "too old" or something. Like the '06 and '07 seemed past their prime. '08 and '09 tasted fantastic, and the others were solid. But, like you said, as we all drank them (and one 2007 bottle even got knocked over and broke, spilling its sweet, sweet nectar all over the concrete--luckily, that was one of the vintages I had two bottles of) our ability to discern one from the other faded .... Fun experiment, but I'm curious what it would have been like stone-cold sober.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Heh. When I got married in 2011, I had Dark Lords from 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011 at the after-party at my house. (I had thought ahead and saved them up for just such an occasion.) A bit of a vertical tasting, I guess.
You're roughly a 7 hour drive for me. If you ever repeat a similar event, I'd make the trip.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
But I don't drink beer to get drunk. If that was my goal, I'd stick to whiskey or gin. I drink beer I like, in moderate quantities, and I find that once beer goes north of about 7-8% the taste of the alcohol itself starts to assert itself unless the flavor of the (rest of the) beer is quite strong. So Chimay Red - good; Chimay Triple, okay; Chimay Blue, no thank you.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
You're roughly a 7 hour drive for me. If you ever repeat a similar event, I'd make the trip.
You'd certainly be welcome! Sadly, I have not had the foresight for the next life event that would encourage such stockpiling, so I've got absolutely nothing saved up. I kind of got a bit tired of Dark Lord that year, so stopped buying four bottles (which was the limit at the time--or maybe it was six) and saving two for the years to come. I do remember, though, checking eBay at the time to see what my collection would go for, and a set of those years would have gotten me around $500-$600 (which, actually, in terms of collectors terms is not that much, but consider I paid $20 each for them.) I still remember when you could show up on the loading dock of Three Floyd's when Dark Lord came out and buy however many you wanted with no crowds. Granted, that was just 2005 and 2006, from what I remember. Then it became a to-do.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:50 AM

Kayaker and pulykamell, it's a little more of a drive for you (OK, a lot more), but if you find yourself in Portland at the end of November, stop by the Holiday All Festival. Deschutes has brought several vintages of The Abyss the last few years, so you can have a vertical tasting without any foresight.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Speaking of names, Wychwood's Dunkel Fester is an unremarkable "disturbingly dark" beer but ya gotta love the name (they also do one called "Toothless Hooker", which in theory is a rugby reference).
Again with the names, Figueroa Mountain another local (for me) brewery features I Dunkeled In My Pants. Idk why I like the risque themes, but the locals seem to encourage the trend. And they're actually very good beers.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:33 PM

Local loyalty (Philadelphia): I don't pass up Dock Street Man Full of Trouble porter or their rich Prince Myshkin imperial stout, though the latter is only packaged in large bottles and a large bottle of it can finish you for the evening.

A newer local brewery, Conshohocken Brewing Co. (their ESB has been in my steady rotation since I first tasted it) has several seasonal or sporadically available darks with ominous names: Burn Everything rye porter, Day Without A Dawn "imperial American black ale" (a strong black IPA; they are one brewer that resists the term "black IPA"). Day Without A Dawn is one of the few IPAs I will drink regularly; when I do drink IPAs they're usually black--something about the roastiness of a dark beer seems to balance the hops better.

Speaking of seasonals, has anyone else tried the latest Ommegang Game of Thrones beer, Mother of Dragons? I expected to dislike it--it's a weird blend of a smoked porter (I don't usually care for smoky beers) and a sour kriek (cherry ale). Somehow it works, at least for me.

The holidays are also my season for indulging in chocolate stouts. After thorough comparison studies I think Samuel Smith organic chocolate stout has a hair-thin edge over Young's Luxury Double Chocolate, but either one is excellent. Southern Tier Thick Mint is also worth trying if you like chocolate mint as much as I do. Much as I like the recent trend to canning craft beers, chocolate beer is one style that I believe is not well served by cans--something about canning seems to dull the chocolate flavor. So I stick to bottles as much as possible.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:43 PM

Well, this is all very interesting. American beer was always famous in the UK for being Bud, Coors Lite, Rolling Rock, etc. Latterly, it's becoming known for being all excruciatingly hoppy IPAs. I knew neither was the whole truth, but it's nice to hear!
Old 11-02-2018, 06:55 PM

By far my favorite is Brash's Vulgar Display of Power. I got lucky enough to get a keg of it once.....pricey. I guess really my favorite is the barrel aged version, Hammer Smashed Face, but I can only get a few of them a year.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:10 PM

I'm drinking a Michelob Amberbock right now.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Pudding View Post
Well, this is all very interesting. American beer was always famous in the UK for being Bud, Coors Lite, Rolling Rock, etc. Latterly, it's becoming known for being all excruciatingly hoppy IPAs. I knew neither was the whole truth, but it's nice to hear!
Hoppy IPAs are soooo 2012, though still prominent. All about sours/gose/etc, and "juicy" NEIPAs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I'm drinking a Michelob Amberbock right now.
Local place that has happy hour deals, that or Killian's are the best cheap beer bangs for your buck.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:34 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Sipping a Lagunitas Imperial Stout right now-most excellent!
Old 11-04-2018, 06:17 AM

Well, I went and special ordered the Old Rasputin but it won't be in until I get back from vacation. While at the beer store, I grabbed some Carton Brewing Milk Stout. No bad stuff at only 4% ABV.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:21 AM

The Old Rasputin finally arrived and its all its cracked up to be. It was the perfect brew for our first winter storm here in the NE. I was surprised by the lack of an alcohol bite, given the 10% ABV. So many beers, so little time. Cheers!
Old 04-17-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
Agreed, Dragon's Milk is excellent.

These are both decent every-day darks, but Deschutes' The Abyss is out of this world. Try to get your hands on some when it's released in November.
Just reviving this thread to note that I had to take a work trip over to Bend. Current in the Deschutes Pub enjoying The Abyss. Outstanding recommendation!
Old 04-17-2019, 08:28 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Right in front of me is Eviltwin Brewing's Even More Jesus, an imperial stout. Tasty.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

Whenever I'm in the neighborhood of one of the Heartland Brewery's locations I'm up for some of that Farmer Jon's Oatmeal Stout that they serve.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:14 PM

While Deschutes Black Butte Porter has been a longtime favorite of mine, I recently tried the Baltic Porter from the same brewery, and it’s my new favorite beer.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:34 AM

I had some of this Urbock last weekend, and it was very good.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Carl View Post
While Deschutes Black Butte Porter has been a longtime favorite of mine, I recently tried the Baltic Porter from the same brewery, and itís my new favorite beer.
Polish brewery Okocim used to have a fantastic Baltic porter available in the US, but I haven't seen it in years. That said, Zywiec also has a nice rendition if you like Baltic porters. (Looking online, Ratebeer rates the Zywiec version higher than the Okocim, but Beer Advocate rates them the other way around; I remember preferring the Okocim version, but they were very similar, and the Okocim was my introduction to the style. Looks like it is "retired," at least according to Beer Advocate.)
Old 08-16-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Polish brewery Okocim used to have a fantastic Baltic porter available in the US, but I haven't seen it in years. That said, Zywiec also has a nice rendition if you like Baltic porters. (Looking online, Ratebeer rates the Zywiec version higher than the Okocim, but Beer Advocate rates them the other way around; I remember preferring the Okocim version, but they were very similar, and the Okocim was my introduction to the style. Looks like it is "retired," at least according to Beer Advocate.)
That happens to a lot of porters I've noticed. I just don't think there are enough of us porter drinkers.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Negra Modelo for me, followed by Cerveza Leon, which are both only dark in color but not in character (they’re both Vienna style lagers).
Old 08-16-2019, 12:36 PM

Lately I've been enjoying Delirium Nocturnum and Troubadour Obscura. Both are pretty heavy going with strong flavors - excellent with rich food (roast beef, pork belly, that sort of thing) but not your casual drinking dark beers.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Lately I've been enjoying Delirium Nocturnum and Troubadour Obscura.
Whoa. Eight or nine of those and you'll start to feel it.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:46 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I'll be popping open a Bad Luck Banana Porter when I get home. I'll let you know how it goes down...and if it stays down.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:39 AM

Quote:
I thought Baltic Porter was a name Deschutes used. didnít know it was a type of porter, until I read your post. Ignorance fought, and thank you.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Zywiec is the largest Polish brewery, and by far the most popular overall throughout Poland

If a cafe or restaurant has only one beer, (or more commonly only sells one brand of beer but carries several different styles of that brand) seemingly 95% of the time it will be Zywiec.

Naturally, Zywiec is the one Polish beer that I flat out do not care for, as the flagship brew, Zywiec Jasne Pelne (pale lager) has a distinctive bitter finish that is overpowering to me compared to other Polish lagers or pilsners, almost all of which I will drink with pleasure.

Warka, Okocim and Perla are all large brewers here, and all make excellent basic lagers and pilsners, as well as several different styles each of speciality beer.

Baltic Porters are too heavy and filling for me, but it is a popular style with many brands to choose from around here. (Perla makes a Porter Baltycki that is supposedly really good, at 9.2% ABV)

Last edited by Royal Nonesutch; 08-17-2019 at 06:05 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:08 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
I'll be popping open a Bad Luck Banana Porter when I get home. I'll let you know how it goes down...and if it stays down.
It was like an alcoholic chocolate-covered banana smoothie, with a strong aftertaste.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
It was like an alcoholic chocolate-covered banana smoothie, with a strong aftertaste.
Sounds like a hard pass for me.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Carl View Post
I thought Baltic Porter was a name Deschutes used. didnít know it was a type of porter, until I read your post. Ignorance fought, and thank you.
Yeah, it's a high-alcohol, sweet type of porter that is a bit more similar to a Russian Imperial Stout than a British porter. They're a bit syrupy sweet for my tastes, but every once in awhile on a cool fall or cold winter day, they're nice.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Nonesutch View Post
Zywiec is the largest Polish brewery, and by far the most popular overall throughout Poland

If a cafe or restaurant has only one beer, (or more commonly only sells one brand of beer but carries several different styles of that brand) seemingly 95% of the time it will be Zywiec.

Naturally, Zywiec is the one Polish beer that I flat out do not care for, as the flagship brew, Zywiec Jasne Pelne (pale lager) has a distinctive bitter finish that is overpowering to me compared to other Polish lagers or pilsners, almost all of which I will drink with pleasure.

Warka, Okocim and Perla are all large brewers here, and all make excellent basic lagers and pilsners, as well as several different styles each of speciality beer.

Baltic Porters are too heavy and filling for me, but it is a popular style with many brands to choose from around here. (Perla makes a Porter Baltycki that is supposedly really good, at 9.2% ABV)
We get a few Polish and other Eastern European brews in stores. I'll look for those breweries you mentioned. I like Baltic Porter, but made the mistake of starting with Sinebrychoff. I have to go to Louisiana to find it, and things like Thomas Hardy's, and Uerige's Altbier, but they're worth the trip.

Staying in Houston, Brash brewery, as mentioned upthread, makes excellent stouts---including the Vulgar Display of Power already mentioned---DIPAs, basically anything heavy and full throttle. If you visit their taproom, bring a love of coin-op arcade games and 80s punk (Misfits, DRI, etc...), along with a thirst for beer.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:52 PM

I like a Guinness when I'm in the mood, but a Negra Modelo's always nice. My favorite is St. Pauli Girl Dark, but I haven't been able to find it lately. Is it gone from the U.S.?
Old 08-18-2019, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

I like the Lion Stout from Ceylon. A nice flavorful beer that's not exactly common, but oddly turns up in places you don't normally expect exotic beers.

Also if you are in a place with a decent sized Russian community, keep an eye out for Baltika #6, a lovely Baltic porter. (Actually, all of the Baltikas are pretty good!)
Old 08-19-2019, 12:25 PM

Guinness from the tap, best drink ever. It is almost too good to be called beer.

Not from the bottles, that stuff is Satan's spawn.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoops View Post
Also if you are in a place with a decent sized Russian community, keep an eye out for Baltika #6, a lovely Baltic porter. (Actually, all of the Baltikas are pretty good!)
You learn something new every day.

Baltika is so ubiquitous all over the Ukraine that I always just assumed it was a domestic Ukranian beer.

Now that I know it is Russian, given the history between Russia and Poland, it makes sense that it isn't more popular here, although as the various varities that I drink on my visits to Ukraine are typically only around 4% ABV, and virtually all mainstream, mass-produced Polish pilsners and lagers are 5.5% at a minimum, maybe that is even a bigger reason it isn't more widely available around here.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Sometimes I wish I still drank like I did years ago, but that urge passes quickly. I keep a sixer of Negra Modelo in the fridge, which usually takes us about six months to drink. It's a good all-around import and goes well with chili.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:31 PM

I'm drinking the Guinness 100th anniversary export stout. For some reason the local store had it for $3.99 a six-pack! I bought one thinking maybe it was old, but it tasted fine. So i bought 2 more.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labor View Post
Guinness from the tap, best drink ever. It is almost too good to be called beer.

Not from the bottles, that stuff is Satan's spawn.
You need to try the stuff in a can. It's not just a canned version of the bottle; it has their "widget" which dispenses the nitrogen when you open the can. It's actually very, very good.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:54 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

This thread has been very helpful to me. Every time I see the title I agree wholeheartedly and grab another one from the fridge.