Old 08-12-2019, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

On Saturday I saw Bearnaked Ladies opening for Hootie & The Blowfish at Madison Square Garden.

BNL closed their set with an amazing cover medley of: Shallow / Old Town Road / Sicko Mode / High Hopes / Whole Lotta Love / Another One Bites the Dust. (You can see the video through the link).

I can't imagine there's much that can top that for range.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:34 AM

I saw Dee Snider at Riot a few years ago and he played Head Like a Hole during his set. That was surprising and I never thought I'd want to hear Snider play that song until I actually did (and after a quick Google search, it looks like he plays it a lot). I thought Trent Reznor should have returned the favor and played We're Not Going to Take It but alas that did not happen.

When Green Day played at Wrigley field in 2017 they threw in Shout / Always Look on the Bright Side of Life / (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction / Hey Jude all jammed together -- you can hear it here: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/green...l-be2b172.html
Old 08-12-2019, 11:35 AM
Ice Bear, Honey Bear.
Charter Member

Yet another story from a Barenaked Ladies concert, one held here in Austin. Presumably because they were in Texas, they covered... Rio, by Duran Duran.

It was a pretty great cover, and BNL also did some interesting alternate versions of their own popular songs (including a fun version of "One Week" featuring a fiddle.) Rio had become a meme on this site by then, so I found myself thinking of SDMB as I heard it. And now it comes full circle, as I come to this board and think of that concert and that cover...
Old 08-13-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlb View Post

From that same Australian tour - Stayin' Alive. Yes, really
Came in to specifically post this - but saw it was already done. My favorite version and cover.

I have never found a good video of this - but Miley Cyrus did a killer version of S&G's "50 ways to leave your lover" on SNL.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GESancMan View Post
Dream Theater used to sometimes surprise audiences by coming out for an encore and covering an entire album. Many of these performances were released on CD: The Number of the Beast, Master of Puppets, Dark Side of the Moon, Made In Japan... those are off the top of my head, but there are more.
They'd do an entire album as their encore? As in after their regular set? Good Lord how long was that concert?
Old 08-13-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtayk View Post
I have never found a good video of this - but Miley Cyrus did a killer version of S&G's "50 ways to leave your lover" on SNL.
Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQLY6AcnXEA
Old 08-13-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
They'd do an entire album as their encore? As in after their regular set? Good Lord how long was that concert?
Yep. They are known for playing long shows. (Or were? I'm not sure if they do the same stuff anymore, like covering albums, or playing long sets, or having a unique set list each night, without Mike Portnoy in the band. He used to be in charge of a lot of that stuff.)

I saw them in 2000, and while they didn't play any covers at that gig, their encore consisted of three songs, of lengths 20, 15, and 24 minutes. This was after playing for like two and a half hours before the encore.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Greenback View Post
Nirvana also covered Son of a Gun and Molly's Lips on Incesticide. It's a measure of how much money floats around a truly successful band that the Nirvana-generated royalties were enough to buy Eugene from The Vaselines a house - something he'd cheerfully admit that his own recording career was never likely to do.
Oddly, I actually had never heard of Nirvana's version of "Jesus Don't Want Me For a Sunbeam" (until looking it up after this thread), but I did familiarize myself with the Vaselines through Nirvana's covers of "Son of a Gun" and "Molly's Lips" (through B-sides or possibly imports, though, not Insecticide.) ETA: Actually, looks like I know those through Hoarmoaning. Somehow, I never picked up the Unplugged CD.

Last edited by pulykamell; 08-13-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I did familiarize myself with the Vaselines through Nirvana's covers of "Son of a Gun" and "Molly's Lips" (through B-sides or possibly imports, though, not Insecticide.)
I'm sure there were bootlegs of this gig from October 1990

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nirva...-13d67d09.html

floating around. The audio is certainly up on Youtube, and the Calton Studio wasn't exactly the sort of place to have any rules about - say - taping off the mixing desk (or anything else, really).

They played just over a year later at the same tiny place - after Nevermind was out! - and opened with Jesus Wants Me For a Sunbeam. The Cobain plan to buy Eugene Kelly a house was long in the making, but only came to fruition on major label releases...
Old 08-13-2019, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Greenback View Post
I'm sure there were bootlegs of this gig from October 1990
No, I'm guessing they were from Hoarmoaning, as I mentioned above, or if they appeared on B-sides or imports, that would have been it. Definitely was a studio recording. It was fall my senior year in high school, so that would have been 1992, and Incesticide didn't come out until December of that year, from what I can find. Got it from a friend who was selling Nirvana and Pearl Jam B-sides/imports/rarities on CrO2 cassettes via Prodigy (online service before mass internet).

Last edited by pulykamell; 08-13-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:50 PM

I saw David Crosby and his band a few days ago, and he did only one CSNY song that he didn't write himself, Neil Young's "Ohio".
Old 08-14-2019, 10:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-man View Post
I happened to see Dylan after the deaths of both Carl Perkins and Warren Zevon. He did "Blue Suede Shoes" with Van Morrison and "Werewolves of London".
Was that back in Jan 1998, when Bob & Van played 5 shows at the Theater at Madison Square Garden, when at the same time the Rolling Stones played the MSG Arena upstairs?

I saw 4 of the 5 Bob & Van shows, and one night went up for The Stones.

5 intense days of live music, for sure.

Later that year in May I saw Bob & Van again for 2 nights with Joni Mitchell outside of Seattle at The Gorge Ampitheater, and then in September 3 final nights with Bob & Van (Lucinda Williams opening) in the San Francisco Bay Area/Reno, 9 total shows with Dylan & Morrison together in 1998 alone...
Old 08-14-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GESancMan View Post
Yep. They are known for playing long shows. (Or were? I'm not sure if they do the same stuff anymore, like covering albums, or playing long sets, or having a unique set list each night, without Mike Portnoy in the band. He used to be in charge of a lot of that stuff.)

I saw them in 2000, and while they didn't play any covers at that gig, their encore consisted of three songs, of lengths 20, 15, and 24 minutes. This was after playing for like two and a half hours before the encore.
I saw them this past April and their show consisted of a few songs, a replay of one of their entire albums, and their encore was another two songs...and it was all according to their setlist online. The was on the long side, but I'm sure they've stopped doing that in their old age
Old 08-14-2019, 05:26 PM

I saw James Brown back in early 90s, band did a few snippets of "Purple Haze", as well as full Janis Joplin song, forgot which one, I think "Move Over" (Brown on keyboards, one of female back vocals doing the lead).
Old 08-14-2019, 05:33 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Speaking of Purple Haze, I was quite surprised to hear Micky Dolenz play it at a recent show, along with Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:13 PM

When I saw Bruce Springsteen in 1981, he did a fantastic cover of Woodie Guthrie's "This Land is Your Land."

When I saw Jimmy Buffett a few years ago, he did covers of the Beatles' "Rocky Raccoon" and "Yellow Submarine."