Old 08-18-2019, 10:48 PM

I feel I need to chime in and say that I think Momentary Lapse of Reason is a decent album and that The Final Cut is absolutely abysmal. I bought the latter because of good reviews by Pink Floyd fans, but it's nice to know there are others who don't care for it either. I don't know how many times I've listened to it (less than the number of fingers on one hand), but all I remember is a bunch of Roger Waters' whining and very little actual music. Perhaps it's because I care far more about the music than then lyrics - well over half of all the music I've listened to in the past decade has been instrumental, and a non-negligible amount of that isn't because there weren't lyrics written for it.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
The posters can all read "Who are The Beatles?"
Niiiice, and I can just hear Daltrey belting out "Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey"... and Ringo can do "Boris the Spider."
Old 08-19-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
My kid made the comment "All my favorite bands are part dead." Huh? "Beatles, Zep'lin, Ramones, Who... half dead guys."
First I said "Someone raised you right." Then I had a brilliant idea: "You name-checked a band with a bass player and drummer gone, and one that's only got those left. So let's get The Whotles to go on tour."

Wouldn't Ringo have been a better replacement for Keith Moon?
Yes, he'd be a better replacement.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:44 PM

Frankie Valli
Old 08-19-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
The Attractions (better known as "Elvis Costello's Band") minus Bruce Thomas, who put the "power" in "power pop" and whose bass parts were in many cases the definitive hook of EC's songs. There isn't a single thing Costello recorded after that which even remotely approaches the level of musical engagement that The Attractions had. He did, at least, do the honorable thing by not billing the group as The Attractions after Thomas was out - acknowledging that he could not be replaced.
I've loved ECatA forever, but had always concentrated on the lyrics, melodies, and Nieves' incredible keyboard work. Then I bought a bass, and really started listening to BT. Yes, what amazing sonic marvels his bass lines are. They're more fun than anything.

To add to the thread though, I'll say Bob Stinson leaving the Replacements. Now, I still love a lot of post-Stinson Replacement songs, but the band should have been renamed when he left*.

* Got booted!

Last edited by Fiddle Peghead; 08-19-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:59 PM

The Commmodores were getting poular. Then Lionel Richie left and made godawful pop.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california jobcase View Post
Yeah, and "Sugar, Sugar" was the top hit of 1969. Success≠quality. Commercial success of a band is meaningless to me if I can't stand to listen to them.
Then let's be clear. We are not talking about a drop off in sales, popularity or talent but a drop off in how much an individual enjoyed them.

-God
Old 08-23-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
I've loved ECatA forever, but had always concentrated on the lyrics, melodies, and Nieves' incredible keyboard work. Then I bought a bass, and really started listening to BT. Yes, what amazing sonic marvels his bass lines are. They're more fun than anything.
Every track, or show, he played on, he brought something essential to it.

In this early live recording of No Dancing (originally recorded at a faster tempo with EC's first band on My Aim Is True) he keeps the slow, suspenseful feel interesting with the addition of walk-ups or walk-downs to the sustained notes (and at 0:59 in that video he can be seen doing something that I myself do ALL THE TIME when I play - pushing his glasses back up!) then the song gradually builds in intensity to the bridge section where again he deploys strategic little walking parts where lesser bassists on a similarly-structured song would just be playing quarter notes.

That's what he could do with a relatively simple song like No Dancing. Then hear Everyday I Write The Book (with an extremely ridiculous video - look at those Charles and Diana impersonators!) and try to imagine that song without those perfect melodic counterpoints to the vocals. And Bruce was also ALWAYS locked in with Pete and Steve - the three of them played as if each of them could read the others' mind.

And then there's songs like Pump It Up where the bass part basically IS the song.