Old 08-21-2019, 09:15 AM

Pumpkin spice SPAM?

The canned meat, not junk e-mails.

I saw on The Today Show that Dunkin Donuts is starting to sell their pumpkin spice stuff today, and Starbuck's is bringing theirs out next week. Some people are mad about them rushing the season but I say whatever, getting mad about a coffee flavor is about the biggest first world problem ever.

But then they said that Hormel will be making a limited edition pumpkin spice Spam. As in the canned meat. I was grossed out at first, but then I thought about cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg are the kind of things you often put on a ham when you cook it. As long as there's no actual pumpkin or pumpkin flavor in it it doesn't sound that bad.

Then I realized that if I can find it, I'll definitely try it, but I'll be ashamed of myself!

Last edited by tricoteuse; 08-21-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:43 AM

I'll probably try it to just for the sheer oddness.

Last edited by ZPG Zealot; 08-21-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:45 AM

Well, that's it. We've reached peak humanity.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Should pair well with a Pumpkin Spice Margarita
Old 08-21-2019, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

I had Pumpkin Spice Cheerios last year. Not great.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:05 PM

I did a Google image search to see with my own eyes that this is a real thing, and the second additional search term it suggests is heathens satisfied.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:46 PM

It will probably taste more like potted meat food product or Vienna sausages.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Are there others aside from me who have never knowingly consumed any pumpkin spice products? Partly that's because I don't drink coffee and partly because I don't go to Starbucks.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:52 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricoteuse View Post
Some people are mad about them rushing the season but I say whatever, getting mad about a coffee flavor is about the biggest first world
Mad about them 'rushing the season'? Why the fuck does anyone need something that is usually associated with Christmas, in August? I hope that I am dead before Christmas season starts in February.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

I've a hunch that they're counting on people buying it for the sake of irony, more than to actually consume it.

And I will say that Starbuck's pumpkin spice is actually pretty good in hot cocoa. I'd drink it year-round, if they had it. Well, when I'm getting something at Starbucks, anyway.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Mad about them 'rushing the season'? Why the fuck does anyone need something that is usually associated with Christmas, in August? I hope that I am dead before Christmas season starts in February.
Halloween. Still too early, but not quite as bad.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

I thought it was Thanksgiving? "Pumpkin spice" is called that because it's the spice used in pumpkin pie, and pumpkin pie is associated with Thanksgiving.

But whatever, it still tastes good.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Possibly.

Googling pumpkin spice halloween gives me 14.5M results. Googling pumpkin spice thanksgiving gives 26M results. So probably both, but more often Thanksgiving.

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving (as such) over here so I didn't think of it.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Are there others aside from me who have never knowingly consumed any pumpkin spice products? Partly that's because I don't drink coffee and partly because I don't go to Starbucks.
I don't drink coffee or go to Starbucks, but I have consumed many pumpkin spice products, including multiple breakfast cereals, several yogurt varieties, bagels, cream cheese and I'm sure a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting. It's definitely not just a beverage phenomenon.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Not never, but I do avoid it. The Cheerios I mentioned were on clearance(like $1.25 for a big box).

I did try the McDonald's coffee I like with the Pumpkin Spice years ago since I heard about it, but it was really bad. Like, I hated it.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricoteuse View Post
The canned meat, not junk e-mails.

I saw on The Today Show that Dunkin Donuts is starting to sell their pumpkin spice stuff today, and Starbuck's is bringing theirs out next week. Some people are mad about them rushing the season but I say whatever, getting mad about a coffee flavor is about the biggest first world problem ever.

But then they said that Hormel will be making a limited edition pumpkin spice Spam. As in the canned meat. I was grossed out at first, but then I thought about cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg are the kind of things you often put on a ham when you cook it. As long as there's no actual pumpkin or pumpkin flavor in it it doesn't sound that bad.

Then I realized that if I can find it, I'll definitely try it, but I'll be ashamed of myself!
Chinese five-spice: cinnamon, cloves, fennel, star anise, and Szechwan pepper. One of the fundamental flavours of Chinese cooking, usually mixed with a meaty flavour (msg)

Pumpkin Spice has nutmeg, which I think is a bit unusual, but offhand I think pumpkin spice spam is gunna be kinda like the stuff my in-laws eat anyway.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:02 AM

I doubt I'll try it, but I won't be making the "Why can't they leave good enough alone?" argument.