Old 01-17-2018, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, as a member who doesn't see ads and therefore has no idea who advertises on the Dope, I find a blanket ban on statements against them impossible to enforce or defend. I know ATMB threads exist that talk about how dubious some of the ads and advertisers are. Those companies could easily show up in posts about bad products generally. For all I know, some already have lawsuits or class action suits going on against them right now. Would advocating one as a good thing now be a banning offense? What about against one of the firms that themselves have been banned from advertising here?

I get the underlying notion of preventing any talk of lawsuits about the Dope, staff, and members. I've never filed a lawsuit in my life and don't plan on ever threatening one.

Even so, banning the mere mention of a suit against an unwritten and ever-changing list of entities that members literally can have no knowledge of in advance is a terrible idea that's bound to backfire against an innocent victim. Talk about Orwellian. Any system in which citizens can't know they've broken a law until after they've been convicted and sentenced is inherently a loser.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Great. I've been waiting for almost 14 years to find out what happened to Alice Terwilliger, and now I guess it's lost to history.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post
Moderators kick any and all legal threats immediately to Ed and what happens is entirely at his sole discretion. "Grounds for banning" means there is room for consideration of context. That's why the rule is open-ended. But it's not mods who consider that context, it's Ed. Arguing this rule with the moderators is not likely to be productive, because we don't get to decide.

Mods aren't going to kick something like "I'll see you in Great Debates!" up to Ed. There is nothing anyone needs to do to change their posting behavior unless their plans involve personal or legal threats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
So, if we see someone saying "I'm going to demolish you in that Mafia game", we don't need to take action, because there's no problem...

Even to the extent that that's true, Ed isn't a robot, either. And it's not like this newly-codified rule gives him any more power, or constrains the power he has: He's always had absolute control over this message board, should he choose to exercise it.
Thank you for clarifying this. My impression was that this was enforced from a coporate office and that even Ed had no flexibility to judge the context or intent of a post before taking action. The amended rule lumps all threats, legal or otherwise, into the same broad category. It states that any threat under any circumstances is prohibited and then adds a second sentence saying "this also applies to legal threats." To me that could be interpreted to mean that any perceived threat or any post that could even be construed to be a threat might automatically fall under the purview of this corporate counsel, bypassing any and all ability to read context, intent, posting history, etc. by anyone, Ed or otherwise.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

I think that there is a corporate office somewhere that Ed ultimately needs to answer to, but this board is barely on their radar at all. If they know about something here, it'll be because Ed tells them.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
... this board is barely on their radar at all.
And I imagine Ed wants to keep it that way.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:33 PM
Gormless Wienie
Administrator

To clarify a few things:

1. The management of Sun-Times Media, owner of the Straight Dope, is well aware of the SDMB - in particular its financial performance, for which I'm held to account.

2. The management doesn't monitor SDMB operation closely except when things go wrong. One of my responsibilities is to make sure this happens infrequently.

3. The staff has a list of things I'm to be told about. Threats of legal action is one of them. I was the one who ordered the recent banning. Some things need to be nipped in the bud.

4. Neither the staff nor I are robots. Users need not fear they'll be banned for trifles. That said, our tolerance for legal bluster is low. It would be wise to avoid such talk.

Last edited by Ed Zotti; 01-18-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Zotti View Post
4. Neither the staff nor I are robots. Users need not fear they'll be banned for trifles.
So, you're telling me that my plan for sending all the mods and admins an English dessert made with fruit, a thin layer of sponge fingers soaked in sherry or another fortified wine, custard topped with whipped cream so I can get people I don't like banned won't work?

Old 01-19-2018, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

No, he means we can freely put on a performance of Trifles, because of its obvious political relevance in the #MeToo atmosphere without worrying what MRA might say.

Last edited by Exapno Mapcase; 01-19-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker View Post
Great. I've been waiting for almost 14 years to find out what happened to Alice Terwilliger, and now I guess it's lost to history.
Strange, you'd think everyone would know what happened to a woman who was 10 feet tall.

Or was that a different Alice?

"The worst things in the world are justified by belief" - U2, Raised by Wolves
Old 01-20-2018, 03:13 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
No, he means we can freely put on a performance of Trifles, because of its obvious political relevance in the #MeToo atmosphere without worrying what MRA might say.
Due to the trouble with them, I thought he meant tribbles.