Old 02-24-2017, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Hell, even Michigan Open Carry agrees that was doing it wrong.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:43 AM

It sounds like these guys were prepared to stop the Russkies and any Muslims slipping in from Canada:
Quote:
Officers at the scene recovered a loaded AP-14 firearm, a rifle magazine containing 47 rounds, a loaded Glock 19 handgun with four additional magazines containing 66 rounds, body armor and ballistic vests, a mask, gun belt and several pieces of camera equipment. Also recovered was an AR-15 rifle along with a AK-47 style rifle.

Dearborn Police Chief Ronald Haddad [said] "This is not a Second Amendment issue for me."
Why not? Libtard police chief doesn't like the 47-round rifle magazine? Why does he hate America?
Old 02-25-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Why not? Libtard police chief doesn't like the 47-round rifle magazine? Why does he hate America?
Not just a Libtard; look his last name. What sort of real American goes by Haddad?

I was interested in the response by the spokesperson for Michigan Open Carry:
Quote:
The situation prompted Michigan Open Carry Inc. to speak out Monday. The pair’s actions were “reckless, and primarily designed to draw attention and a response,” group officials said in a statement. “MOC advocates for and educates people about the lawful open carry of a holstered handgun for the purposes of everyday self-protection. ...

“There is a clear difference between the everyday protection we advocate for and the attention-seeking actions of these individuals. Wearing a mask, dark glasses, visible body armor and a rifle slung across your chest instills a very specific image that cannot be ignored.”
But isn't this a slippery slope for the gun rights folks?

After all, the guns were legal, and as far as i know, there's no law prohibiting the wearing of masks, dark glasses, or body armor. Also, as far as i know, there's no law prohibiting a person from walking into a police station. If i'm wrong about this stuff, i'm happy to be corrected. But if i'm not, then why are these guys different from any other open-carry advocates?

In describing their outfits, MOC says that this sort of thing "instills a very specific image that cannot be ignored." I wonder if they realize or care that, for many Americans, the sight of a person on the street or in a mall or in a restaurant, with nothing more than a handgun on his hip, also "instills a very specific image that cannot be ignored." If they believe that anti-gun folks are unreasonable for not wanting to see guns all over the place, why aren't they unreasonable for not wanting to see guns and body armor?

After all, guns are for protection, right? And if a gun helps to make you safe in a dangerous world, wouldn't body armor make you even more safe? Police departments certainly seem to think so.

Last edited by mhendo; 02-25-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Let Damuri Ajashi explain hoplophobia and exposure therapy to you. He does it so well.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:47 AM

Another story for the 'Guns are very wonderful' thread. Where would we all be without our precious God-given Second Amendment?

A ho in Houston ran a yellow light, apparently colliding with a car that was running the red light perpendicular. Rather than wasting the taxpayers' dime on a police investigation, a 3rd car dispensed immediate justice, shooting at and killing 8-year-old De'Maree Adkins.

The mother may have learned her lesson and will stop running yellow lights in future; thus the shooter showed admirable discretion and mercy by killing only the child rather than both mother and child. (Killing only the mother would have been imprudent: De'Maree, who'd probably inherited the running-yellow-light gene, was too young to learn a lesson and would have grown up to run a yellow light of its own.)
Old 03-01-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Another story for the 'Guns are very wonderful' thread. Where would we all be without our precious God-given Second Amendment?

A ho in Houston ran a yellow light, apparently colliding with a car that was running the red light perpendicular. Rather than wasting the taxpayers' dime on a police investigation, a 3rd car dispensed immediate justice, shooting at and killing 8-year-old De'Maree Adkins.

The mother may have learned her lesson and will stop running yellow lights in future; thus the shooter showed admirable discretion and mercy by killing only the child rather than both mother and child. (Killing only the mother would have been imprudent: De'Maree, who'd probably inherited the running-yellow-light gene, was too young to learn a lesson and would have grown up to run a yellow light of its own.)
What the fucking fuck are they doing down there in Texas? My nieces live in Sugarland, and the youngest, my goddaughter just got her first car a month ago. Fuck.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:00 AM

This story from Iowa really belongs in the 'Guns are so very wonderful' thread. 76-year old husband was understandably unhappy that his 62-year old wife didn't want to have sex with him — he claims the marriage was never consummated. A warning shot seemed like just the right thing, no? Better than resorting to actual fisticuffs.

The bullet traveled in an unexpected direction and hit wife in hip and butt. But that's not hubby's fault — he was aiming for the mattress. Anyway, she's still alive and may think twice about saying No to her wifely duty next time.

Will Lumpy show up to complain about this post? Don't just be grumpy, Lumpyexplain the wonderful nature of guns to us. Is America a better place because the libtards were unable to grab this hubby's gun?
Old 03-04-2017, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

No Septicemias, I'm going to complain about you.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
No Septicemias, I'm going to complain about you.
Please feel free to do so!

But answer the question:
Quote:
Is America a better place because the libtards were unable to grab this hubby's gun?
Old 03-04-2017, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is America a better place because the libtards were unable to grab this hubby's gun?
Yes it is actually, if by "grab this hubby's gun" you mean forbid people to own guns just in case of what they might do. Because the people who legitimately needed a gun to deter or defend against violence had them.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Yes it is actually, if by "grab this hubby's gun" you mean forbid people to own guns just in case of what they might do. Because the people who legitimately needed a gun to deter or defend against violence had them.
So, should have taken hubby's gun, and given it to his wife? She had far more need to deter or defend against violence.

I'd be down for that.

Serious question at this point.

Are you down with taking hubby's gun now?

Last edited by k9bfriender; 03-04-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:46 PM

Seventy six year old with a raging hardon, a young-but-frigid bride, an attitude (as per booking photo), and a gun.

I'm disappointed by the relatively bland ending.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
Serious question at this point.

Are you down with taking hubby's gun now?
Of course; that's perfectly in accordance with due process of law: punishing people for what they do, not what they might do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Seventy six year old with a raging hardon, a young-but-frigid bride, an attitude (as per booking photo), and a gun.
Not that it changes anything, but she's 62.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Not that it changes anything, but she's 62.
Right. And he's 76, which in comparison makes her "young".

Quote:
Donald Royce, 76, of Lehigh Acres, said he and his wife, Katherine Fivecoat, 62, have not consummated their six-month marriage
Old 03-05-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Samuel Clemens was born in the town of Florida, Missouri, but I kind of think the town of Lehigh Acres, Florida is not in Iowa. The rules of sanity, reason and decorum are wildly different in Florida compared to most of the rest of the universe.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Samuel Clemens was born in the town of Florida, Missouri, but I kind of think the town of Lehigh Acres, Florida is not in Iowa. The rules of sanity, reason and decorum are wildly different in Florida compared to most of the rest of the universe.
Oops! My error. If it happened in Florida then just move along folks; nothing to see here.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Why is it that people think that gun violence by one person justifies banning guns across society?

Show me a study that tells us how many incidents of gun violence are committed by lawful gun owners. Then compare that to how many similar acts of violence would occur without the presence of guns. Take the difference if any and compare that to the incidents of violence avoided because of private ownership of guns. ISTM that THAT is the right way to weigh the impact of guns in our society.

In the end that may not end up changing anyone's minds but at least we can then conclude that people just want their guns and they are willing to bear the cost of guns in our society for other reasons (that are frankly a bit more difficult to defend in a functional democracy) or they just want to get rid of guns and they want to get rid of guns for other reasons that probably boil down to perceived safety and peace of mind over actual safety.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
Why is it that people think that gun violence by one person justifies banning guns across society?

Show me a study that tells us how many incidents of gun violence are committed by lawful gun owners. Then compare that to how many similar acts of violence would occur without the presence of guns. Take the difference if any and compare that to the incidents of violence avoided because of private ownership of guns. ISTM that THAT is the right way to weigh the impact of guns in our society.

In the end that may not end up changing anyone's minds but at least we can then conclude that people just want their guns and they are willing to bear the cost of guns in our society for other reasons (that are frankly a bit more difficult to defend in a functional democracy) or they just want to get rid of guns and they want to get rid of guns for other reasons that probably boil down to perceived safety and peace of mind over actual safety.
Agree with you but two things: "lawful gun owners" gets mocked by the antis because they always say "everyone was a lawful gun owner until they shot someone". A clumsier but more accurate phrase might be "non-career criminals". Second, because it's hard to measure what didn't happen, estimates of defensive gun use vary widely, with the antis dismissing most reports as apocryphal or existing only in the gun owner's head. As you said, that may not end up changing anyone's minds.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure who you're talking about, but it isn't me. I just asked Lumpy a rhetorical question. My own personal opinion is that, at his point, we should petition government to give guns to everyone free of charge. Presumably this would increase gun deaths, but would also speed up beneficial Darwinian selection.

To get a driver's license, one must demonstrate some behind-the-wheel competence. I don't know about U.S.A. but where I live a doctor's note is also required, certifying that the driving applicant is not insane. Some might advocate that a gunner's license be required for reasons similar to the driver's license. (I don't know what the criteria should be, or whether the Floridan hubby would be excluded — gun control is not a topic which interests me.)
Old 03-07-2017, 01:41 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
Who thinks this?
Old 03-07-2017, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

That's what the voices in his head are telling him today.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Who thinks this?
You know, many of us say things like, maybe people ought to get training and stuff in order to have guns (as with moving automobiles), or, maybe we ought to keep track of guns and hold people responsible when someone else misuses one of their weapons (or for that matter, when one of them misuses their own weapon), and the response always seems to be, why do you want to take away everybody's guns??? It tends to makes any dialogue quite difficult. Darmuri Ajashi claims to be ok with some fair restrictions, but too often he descends into gundamentalism.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Who thinks this?
She who would be president.

Hillary: Australia-style gun control ‘worth looking at’
Quote:
Hillary Clinton says a gun buyback program similar to the one Australia implemented in 1996 is “worth considering” in the United States.

“I don’t know enough details to tell you how we would do it or how it would work, but certainly the Australia example is worth looking at,” Clinton said at a New Hampshire town hall on Friday.
The Australian government purchased more than 650,000 guns from citizens in the compulsory 1996 buyback program.
What the article doesn't say was that Australians had up to a year to turn in their guns, thereafter those who possessed them were criminalized.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:50 AM

Another item for the 'guns are so very wonderful' thread: In Kansas an illegal Muslim immigrant was shot down by a patriotic citizen. Had this vigilante not acted when he did, the terrorist might have gone into hiding — who knows how many Americans he would have killed. Bravo! More evidence that I'm right and the government should give free guns to all white Christian Americans.

Before the libtards rush in with their #FakeFacts, yes the immigrant might have been a legal immigrant, but if so why didn't he show his passport and green card when challenged? In this new era, clearly we must assume the worst. And maybe he was a Hindu or a Voodoo or whatever instead of a Muslim, but So What? This is Jesus' country and if he doesn't love the Baby Jesus he should get the F*ck out!

But even if the cover story is true — that Srinivas Kuchibhotla was an innocent green-carded engineer — it wouldn't affect the important issue. As every NRA member knows, it is better that twenty innocents be gunned down in error than that George Zimmerman be denied his right to stalk a black boy, provoke a 'self-defense' situation, and commit a depraved-heart murder.

God Help America!
Old 03-08-2017, 05:30 AM

And obviously we need guns to fend off the damn sikhs, who are impersonating muslims and scaring the children. If this his happening in the easy-going Seattle area, these dark-skinned turban-wearers must surely be a problem.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

No, no, it's not so much that they're a problem.

They're just.....you know.....DIFFERENT !!!!!!

Thank God above that we know good from bad and are empowered to execute the 2nd Amendment exactly as it was intended.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2017, 06:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post

I'm disappointed by the relatively bland ending.
Its almost ugly enough and gritty enough to make a music video about.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Who thinks this?
Did no one call for gun bans after sandy hook?

Do people not point to anecdotal evidence and push for gun bans?
Old 03-08-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
You know, many of us say things like, maybe people ought to get training and stuff in order to have guns (as with moving automobiles), or, maybe we ought to keep track of guns and hold people responsible when someone else misuses one of their weapons (or for that matter, when one of them misuses their own weapon), and the response always seems to be, why do you want to take away everybody's guns??? It tends to makes any dialogue quite difficult. Darmuri Ajashi claims to be ok with some fair restrictions, but too often he descends into gundamentalism.
I'm not a gundamentalist. I am vocal but as you say, I am not only tolerant of some gun regulation I an actively in favor of it. I am generally opposed to ignorance and stupidity and frankly most of the ignorance on the gun issue comes from the gun control side. Mostly because they don't really give a shit about the issue as much as the gun proponents do so they only know what talking heads tell them.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
... and frankly most of the ignorance on the gun issue comes from the gun control side....
Not this bullshit again. "Anyone who can't recite the muzzle velocities and magazine capacities of at least three models of semi-automatic isn't qualified to comment on whether guns are good for society."

Bzzzzzt. Next contestant, please.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:34 AM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:

Point to one that said anything akin to "I was fine with all the other gun deaths-it was this one alone that made me want to restrict gun use." It's not one straw that breaks the camel's back-It's the last straw.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:

Well, there sure are a lot of anecdotes, aren't there?
A lot.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Not this bullshit again. "Anyone who can't recite the muzzle velocities and magazine capacities of at least three models of semi-automatic isn't qualified to comment on whether guns are good for society."

Bzzzzzt. Next contestant, please.
Ignorance:

"Assault weapons are machine guns"

"Silencers make guns silent"

"Permitting concealed carry increases gun violence"

"Guns are not regulated"

The list goes on and on. You can have opinions without expert knowledge of the subject but those opinions ought to be based on facts.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Point to one that said anything akin to "I was fine with all the other gun deaths-it was this one alone that made me want to restrict gun use." It's not one straw that breaks the camel's back-It's the last straw.
Well, now I'd like to ask YOU for a cite that I said that these people were Ok with all the other gun related deaths.

I was talking about the anecdotal nature of how gun control folks argue for gun control. If you want to list stupid gun news, that's fine but its just anecdote, it doesn't come close to representing data.

If its the last straw, then what are the other straws?

Because AFAICT they point to a single case where a legal gun owner commits a crime and then acts like this is a common thing. They point to a stack of hay consisting of suicides, crimes committed by felons and other who are not allowed to possess guns, or folks who we as a society require to possess guns are all part of the same stack of hay as the legal gun owner committing a crime. That's when they say "see we should ban guns"
Old 03-08-2017, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
he sight of a person on the street or in a mall or in a restaurant, with nothing more than a handgun on his hip, also "instills a very specific image that cannot be ignored."
It's an image that may require copious application of brain bleach, even if the handgun is strategically positioned as a fig leaf.

Last edited by Steve MB; 03-08-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latro View Post
Well, there sure are a lot of anecdotes, aren't there?
A lot.
Really? How many do you think there are? I suspect that a lot of people think that murders committed by legal gun owners is a common event.

AFAICT, there are very few gun murders committed by legal gun owners. Few enough that you really have to ask how many times guns have saved a life before you any reach conclusion about banning guns.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
... They point to a stack of hay [including] folks who we as a society require to possess guns ...
Most policemen in Great Britain do not carry guns. U.S. policemen are now killing over 1000 people per year, and injuring many more — many of these victims are completely innocent.

The main reason "we as a society require" cops to carry guns is the presumption that, in our insane gun culture, any motorist or ordinary citizen is likely to be armed and dangerous.

How we might restore sanity is a difficult question. (As I've said, I have no solution except arming everyone until the reductio ad absurdem makes itself felt.) But let's please keep in mind that the circularly reasoned:
Americans need guns because so many Americans have guns

whether valid or not, is a symptom of the corner our gun-crazed culture has painted itself into, and not a happy celebration of the God-given rights of Man.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:36 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, now I'd like to ask YOU for a cite that I said that these people were Ok with all the other gun related deaths.
The exact quote was
Quote:
And it certainly implies that some people want a banning of all guns because of a single gun-related death.
Where are these people?
Old 03-08-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Most policemen in Great Britain do not carry guns. U.S. policemen are now killing over 1000 people per year, and injuring many more — many of these victims are completely innocent.

The main reason "we as a society require" cops to carry guns is the presumption that, in our insane gun culture, any motorist or ordinary citizen is likely to be armed and dangerous.

How we might restore sanity is a difficult question. (As I've said, I have no solution except arming everyone until the reductio ad absurdem makes itself felt.) But let's please keep in mind that the circularly reasoned:
Americans need guns because so many Americans have guns

whether valid or not, is a symptom of the corner our gun-crazed culture has painted itself into, and not a happy celebration of the God-given rights of Man.
Yes, I agree that its a bit of a catch 22 but I we can work our way out of it with licensing and registration. The gun rights side of the argument is wary of this avenue out of the catch 22 because it can also be used to work our way ENTIRELY out of guns and the gun control side seems to want that and the gun rights side does not.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
The exact quote was
And it certainly implies that some people want a banning of all guns because of a single gun-related death.
Where are these people?
Are you saying that there aren't people who were relatively ambivalent about gun control until Sandy Hook when they suddenly wanted to ban guns?

My larger point was a criticism of people using anecdote in their argument for gun control.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:46 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
Are you saying that there aren't people who were relatively ambivalent about gun control until Sandy Hook when they suddenly wanted to ban guns?
Either you can point out examples of what you said, or you can't. I don't have to disprove your claim-that's not how it works.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
It's an image that may require copious application of brain bleach, even if the handgun is strategically positioned as a fig leaf.
I wonder what simile that might evoke ...
Old 03-08-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Well, if he's not saying it, I will. I'm a liberal, with liberal friends and associates, and I've never met anyone who wants to "ban guns across society," either before or after a mass shooting.

Close gun show loopholes, yes. Limit the size of magazines, yes. Restrict access of people who have been formally declared to be too mentally ill to be fully responsible for themselves FFS, YES!!. But a total ban, never.

I don't deny that there are people who want a total ban, but I would guess that they are a very small minority, and I find it very hard to believe that they were ambivalent about gun bans, let alone gun control, before Sandy Hook.

Last edited by TonySinclair; 03-08-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
As I've said, I have no solution except arming everyone until the reductio ad absurdem makes itself felt.
An experiment I wish we could see happen.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:45 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
An experiment I wish we could see happen.
Let me get off the planet, first.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:11 PM

Gun laws similar to Australia's should help. It would get most guns off the street and people serious about it with clean records could still purchase weapons. Some people would stockpile but that would just demonstrate they were never responsible law-abiding gun owners to begin with. Eventually the price of an illegal gun would be more than a common thug or nut job could afford.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by levdrakon View Post
Gun laws similar to Australia's should help. It would get most guns off the street and people serious about it with clean records could still purchase weapons. Some people would stockpile but that would just demonstrate they were never responsible law-abiding gun owners to begin with. Eventually the price of an illegal gun would be more than a common thug or nut job could afford.
Would you care to describe your definition of the difference between "Collecting" and "Stockpiling?"
Old 03-08-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquilis View Post
Would you care to describe your definition of the difference between "Collecting" and "Stockpiling?"
One should be in a museum?

Actually, I don't particularly care about the feelings of collectors. If your source of income is "collecting" guns, with the quotes, perhaps you should find another line of work.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by levdrakon View Post
One should be in a museum?

Actually, I don't particularly care about the feelings of collectors. If your source of income is "collecting" guns, with the quotes, perhaps you should find another line of work.
Ah. I see. So, what you're telling me is that you are not, in fact, interested in a reasonable debate on the subject - you just wish to inflict your preconceptions on others, IRT firearms.

Gotcha.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquilis View Post
Ah. I see. So, what you're telling me is that you are not, in fact, interested in a reasonable debate on the subject - you just wish to inflict your preconceptions on others, IRT firearms.

Gotcha.
This thread is is over 150 pages. Enough debate for me. I'm kinda past debate. Neither side is going to change their mind much. The gun rights side will never change its mind. Not one iota. When a gun rights type says' "let's have a reasoned discussion" it's just another stall tactic. I used to say, and believe, "no one is taking your guns" but I've moved beyond that. Sooner or later, we're going to have to take (most of) your guns.