Old 02-17-2020, 07:04 PM

Maffew (of Botchamania fame) said it best when he said, and I'm severely paraphrasing, -- The first hour of NXT Takeovers are best before I'm numb to everyone kicking out 99 times out of every finisher". It's to a point now where I watch Takeovers the day after so I can fast forward through the first 15 minutes of the match...I'm not worn out by that point.

As for Johnny Garbanzo being a heel? Yawn. It didn't work when they tried it with Black and it won't work now. He's too small and innocent to be taken seriously as a badass...he also isn't good enough on the mic. Hot take: I'm really bored with Undisputed Era and, by extension, champion Adam Cole (bay bay) I think it's time for a new champ. Let's put the strap on Dream on 'Mania weekend shall we?

I did love Lee and Donovan D. They're probably my two favorites in NXT right now and they have great in-ring chemistry.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Remember when we used to post predictions and reviews of Takeover events?
Yeah, but I farted out most of those while I was killing time at the laundromat and I had a smartphone with a slide-out keyboard.

These days, phones only have touchscreen keyboards, which are much harder to achieve a decent WPM on. Also, I now live in a house with an attached washer and dryer, so I don't even have to put on pants on laundry day.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Maffew (of Botchamania fame) said it best when he said, and I'm severely paraphrasing, -- The first hour of NXT Takeovers are best before I'm numb to everyone kicking out 99 times out of every finisher". It's to a point now where I watch Takeovers the day after so I can fast forward through the first 15 minutes of the match...I'm not worn out by that point.
I've pretty much been at that stage for the last 10 or so years. Maybe I'm just burnt out. I look forward to the ludicrous storylines, double-crosses and back-room muggings - as for the actual in-ring wrestling, I've seen it all before.

To use the analogy 'Pro Wrestling is Soap Opera for guys' - well, sure. If watching a soap, you don't need to hear the excruciating dialog or see the pained expressions or the damatic pauses - all you want to know is 'Oh My God! She broke up with Him because So-and-So cheated!' Then chat with your friends about how it will be resolved/inflamed/whatever.

I wonder if wrestling was a bit different pre-tv syndication, when you only saw the actual moves at best a few times per year - when they were still fresh and exciting.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Yeah, but I farted out most of those while I was killing time at the laundromat and I had a smartphone with a slide-out keyboard.

These days, phones only have touchscreen keyboards, which are much harder to achieve a decent WPM on. Also, I now live in a house with an attached washer and dryer, so I don't even have to put on pants on laundry day.
Thanks for letting us know you post pantsless.

Speaking of creepy, these AEW action figures have Uncanny Valley-level likenesses to their originals.

Just the same, I hope Santa brings me a Luchasaurus doll this year.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:15 AM

is lucha underground dead? ....if it is i dont see el rey its self being too far behind as it was one of the highest rated shows they had
Old 02-21-2020, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
is lucha underground dead? ....if it is i dont see el rey its self being too far behind as it was one of the highest rated shows they had
Yeah, it's over. The last season ended in late '18. "90% of the roster is with AEW, the rest is with WWE."

I kinda hope WWE buys the footage and puts it on the Network. I've never seen LU before.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:27 AM

Super ShowDown 2020 predictions

Brock Lesnar vs. Ricochet, WWE Championship Match: No way does Ricochet win here. The question is whether Lesnar can be arsed to put on a good match here.

The Fiend vs. Goldberg, Universal Championship Match: The Fiend wins to make him look really strong so that Reigns can beat him at WrestleMania.

New Day vs. The Miz & John Morrison, Smackdown Tag Team Championship Match: Miz and Morrison win the belts here.

Seth Rollins & Murphy vs. The Street Profits, Raw Tag Team Championship Match: Rollins and Murphy retain.

A.J. Styles vs. Andrade vs. Bobby Lashley vs. Erick Rowan vs. R-Truth vs. Rusev, Gauntlet Match for the Tuwaiq Trophy: There's talk that Styles will face The Undertaker at WrestleMania. I'd put Styles over here, then, to make him look good going into that match.

Roman Reigns vs. King Corbin, Steel Cage Match: Reigns, please God.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:46 AM

I think so. It was expensive to produce and they didn't have enough of an audience to sustain the show.

Just the same, I'd love for the mysterious leader of the Dark Order in AEW turn out to be Dario Cueto, there to bring his former warriors back to the Temple.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just the same, I'd love for the mysterious leader of the Dark Order in AEW turn out to be Dario Cueto, there to bring his former warriors back to the Temple.
The current scuttlebutt is that it's going to be Raven, who showed up in the crowd at Dynamite this week, but it's possible that he was just there as a fan.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The current scuttlebutt is that it's going to be Raven, who showed up in the crowd at Dynamite this week, but it's possible that he was just there as a fan.
AEW is just toying with the rumor mill that is the internet. They were in Johnny Polo's home town, not surprising he'd be at the show. All it's doing is drawing the scent off of Matt Hardy for a little bit as every wrestling "journalist" tries to milk the new rumor for views. And let's not forget that even Hardy is just a rumor, and he's also playing the game. At least if it's Hardy, AEW can get matches out of him. Raven's tank is on empty.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:06 AM

A Moment of Bliss with the Bellas was pukilicious.

Brie: OMIGOD, WE OWE EVERYTHING TO THE FANS, IT'S SO CRAZY, WE'RE SO EXCITED TO BE IN THE HALL OF FAME, OMIGOD

Nikki: OMIGOD, WE'RE BOTH PREGNANT, IT'S SO CRAZY, WE'RE SO PROUD OF THE WOMEN, OMIGOD
Old 02-27-2020, 06:44 AM

Hehe, Orange Cassidy is going to "try" going against PAC at Revolution. Maybe Cody saw my post, but couldn't work in an angle with Darby Allin because he's slated to go against Sammy Guevara.

It seems like whenever Chris Jericho takes on Jon Dean Moxley Ambrose, he gets heinously injured. Last night, Moxley head butted Jericho so hard on the eyebrow he required seven stitches. Last time they met in WWE, Jericho got pincushioned with a bunch of thumbtacks. Fozzy's scheduled to start touring in April, so I wonder if Jericho will drop the title? Has he been a slave to the Judas in his mind?
Old 02-27-2020, 06:46 AM

yay SDMB bugginess...

Last edited by Knowed Out; 02-27-2020 at 06:47 AM.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

Today, the most exciting show of shows...Saudi Super Showdown. Today we ask, "What if WWE held a PPV-type event and nothing happened...again." Maybe they'll get stuck in SA again and we'll get an awesome Smackdown with a 1 hour Daniel Bryan versus a broomstick match. /yawn

Also, in other news, Samoa Joe out on Wellness Violation. This was reported much earlier, but maybe he appealed it and the violation was upheld, or maybe the report weeks back was wrong. Who knows?
Old 02-27-2020, 02:30 PM

Super Showdown -- more like Super Letdown.

Utter fucking crap. Riyadh went vegetarian for this show -- squashes.

UT pathetic-looking chokeslam on AJ - match over.
Brock tosses Ricochet a couple times - match over.
Most boring cage match ever.
Goldberg and Fiend use two holds - match over.

Vince created a literal world of suck. I hope they hold up his plane this time.
Old 02-27-2020, 03:06 PM

Now I know that Ricochet and Lesnar are capable of having a fantastic match against each other, but more than half the time he shows up, Lesnar can't be arsed to go more than a few minutes.
Old 02-27-2020, 03:59 PM

God, I'm still pissed. If it weren't for NXT, I'd drop the network.

Seriously, if you haven't seen Super Shitdown, don't waste your time. Vince abandoned talent for name recognition.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Literally a "take the money and run" event. Now we have two part-timer champions. Vince needs to be involuntarily committed.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:52 PM

Thank you AEW. You eliminated the diarrhea of Super Showdown from my mind. That was the most fun thing to watch. I especially marked for PAC vs Orange Cassidy. Freshly Squeezed is an enigma in a conundrum covered with special sauce. From "wherever," weight "whatever," ability to hang like a limp dishrag, getting the audience to chant FIGHT FOREVER after he does his signature soft slaps, O Cass is a fucking genius. The King of Sluff Style is going to inspire a new wave of spaghetti noodle wrestlers.

The Young Bucks vs Kenny Omega and Hangman Adam Page had me on the edge of my seat. Maybe they are spot hogs, but the Elite knows how to tell a story. They ended the battle, but not the war. Hangman is still the odd man out, and I'm expecting a swerve any second.

Cody just turned MJF into an A-lister. He really has inherited his dad's talent for booking, and completely spiced it up on his own. Vince, he's showing you how much you sold out creativity for cheap heat.

I learned something new today: The Blade used to be Braxton Sutter in Impact, and he's married irl to Bunny. The Butcher had been a rhythm guitarist before AEW.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:53 PM

SDMB bugs up again.

Last edited by Knowed Out; 02-29-2020 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:35 AM

OC vs Joey Ryan
Old 03-01-2020, 02:29 PM

The differences between Super ShowDown and Revolution are a very good example of why WWE needs competition. I mean that in a good way towards AEW. They're putting on an exciting product.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

An obviously-animatronic spider that the announcers have to try to sell as real. If this wasn't Vince's idea all along, you know he approved of it and probably thought it was a good idea. That was bad. That was really bad. There probably was no way to make the reveal pop, but that was hopelessly bad.

ekedolphin, I wholeheartedly agree that WWE needs competition, but I don't think comparing Super ShowDown is appropriate. That's nothing more than an extended episode of Raw. The Saudi shows are throw-away PPVs - they barely moved the progression to Wrestlemania on that. All it really did was get in the way of the WM build (and the Elimination Chamber build). I do think it will be appropriate to compare Elimination Chamber to Revolution, and right now, I think AEW will still come out on top.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:58 PM

Darby Allin does a 75-ft coffin drop
Old 03-05-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post

ekedolphin, I wholeheartedly agree that WWE needs competition, but I don't think comparing Super ShowDown is appropriate. That's nothing more than an extended episode of Raw. The Saudi shows are throw-away PPVs - they barely moved the progression to Wrestlemania on that. All it really did was get in the way of the WM build (and the Elimination Chamber build). I do think it will be appropriate to compare Elimination Chamber to Revolution, and right now, I think AEW will still come out on top.
They did put Goldberg over The Fiend in convincing fashion for the Universal Title though, for no other reason than "more people probably want to see Goldberg vs. Reigns than Fiend vs. Reigns". So now we've got a guy who can't go more than 5 minutes without getting blown up, as the Universal Champion. Not to mention two part-time world champions.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

What if a gimmick PPV came and went, and it felt like little more than yet another episode of Raw/Smackdown simply with more wrestling per hour? Given TV is the big money earner today, it gets harder and harder to hold off something special until a PPV, and one ends up with PPVs that are indistinguishable from over-the-air.

Elimination Chamber wasn't a bad show, but the Saudi show sucked all the life out of the build-up, and being "the last step on the Road to Wrestlemania" meant that there would be no satisfying conclusions. Standouts were that fall from the German release-suplex Bryan took, the top-of-the-chamber shooting star press, and Bayzler banging Liv Morgan around into the chamber walls. The booking, though, should have had less time of Bayzler catching her breath in an empty ring.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Elimination Chamber wasn't a bad show, but the Saudi show sucked all the life out of the build-up, and being "the last step on the Road to Wrestlemania" meant that there would be no satisfying conclusions. Standouts were that fall from the German release-suplex Bryan took, the top-of-the-chamber shooting star press, and Bayzler banging Liv Morgan around into the chamber walls. The booking, though, should have had less time of Bayzler catching her breath in an empty ring.
I think the main problem was, neither main title was on the line. That's usually the selling point of Elimination Chamber.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:03 PM

I agree that the novelty of gimmick matches wears off pretty quickly. I used to think cage matches were cool, but now I hate them. All they have to do to win is crawl over the top and drop, but they never do.

EC has had some good moments throughout the years, and Otis crashing outside was definitely one of the highlights of this year's. The match still felt overpacked and useless. It involved a lot of laying around, waiting for group X to finish their set.

DBD still takes bumps on the head despite being borderline crippled. He and Drulak still put on a clinic, and he somehow got scars all over his body from a scientific match. He's too method.

The women's EC was kind of a turd drop in that they all had to treat Shayna like she was the female Brock Lesnar. I love me some Liv Morgan though. She's really good with facial expressions and getting ragdolled.

I really hope UT's WM match is he and Aleister vs AJ and OC. UT can still get pops, but he's lighter on the touch than he used to be. His chokeslam on AJ still looked weak.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
I agree that the novelty of gimmick matches wears off pretty quickly. I used to think cage matches were cool, but now I hate them. All they have to do to win is crawl over the top and drop, but they never do.
That's why I like AEW's "pinfall or submission only" cage match rules. Oh, wait, I'm not allowed to like AEW because I would have to hand in my Jim Cornette Burger Towel if I did.

I can't believe that nobody has realized that you can win pretty much any cage match by doing this:
1. Throw something (e.g. salt) in the other wrestler's eyes
2. Handcuff him to the cage
3. Walk through the door.

Then again, how many decades did it take for somebody to realize that a no disqualification match meant that you can have all of your "friends" join you from the start in what would become a glorified handicap match?
Old 03-10-2020, 05:45 PM

Why does nobody escape the cage feet-first through the door? Wouldn't that make more sense than trying to crawl over and having to get your entire body through?
Old 03-10-2020, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Then again, how many decades did it take for somebody to realize that a no disqualification match meant that you can have all of your "friends" join you from the start in what would become a glorified handicap match?
ECW did it all the time. Sometimes there didn't necessarily need to be a no-DQ stipulation.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:45 PM

Quote:
ECW did it all the time. Sometimes there didn't necessarily need to be a no-DQ stipulation.
DQs? ECW? What DQs?
Old 03-10-2020, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

I'm sure there was that one time...
Old 03-11-2020, 12:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
Why does nobody escape the cage feet-first through the door? Wouldn't that make more sense than trying to crawl over and having to get your entire body through?
Personally, I've never liked the whole "the referee just opens the cage door" thing WWE does these days. It's cheap and it ruins the tension, especially since the entire idea of the cage match when it was first introduced back in the day was that the cowardly heel couldn't just run away. Half the time they do it, it seems like they're doing it because the wrestler who's booked to win is too big/not fit enough to climb out, and if that's the case then they should either book him to win by pinfall or just not do a cage match in the first place.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Personally, I've never liked the whole "the referee just opens the cage door" thing WWE does these days. It's cheap and it ruins the tension, especially since the entire idea of the cage match when it was first introduced back in the day was that the cowardly heel couldn't just run away. Half the time they do it, it seems like they're doing it because the wrestler who's booked to win is too big/not fit enough to climb out, and if that's the case then they should either book him to win by pinfall or just not do a cage match in the first place.
Winning a WWE cage match by pinfall is a relatively new thing. Even in the Attitude Era, I'm pretty sure that escaping the cage was the only way to win. In fact, I think "win by pinfall or by escape" by anybody started after Hulk Hogan joined WCW, which had "pinfall or submission only" cage matches, but somebody figured that new fans would only be familiar with WWE cage match rules and wonder why nobody was trying to climb out.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

WWE not (yet) canceling WrestleMania, though that may change. State and local government not forcing the cancelation of an event 3 weeks out, but WWE will need to take herculean screening efforts if it does occur. Wonder if all TV tapings for the near future will be at the Performance Center?
Old 03-13-2020, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

It only just started, but not having an audience in attendance is a huge negative.
Old 03-13-2020, 07:33 PM

Yes, this is a very strange Smackdown. Raw will be there too, 3 hours of this may be a very tough pill to swallow. Then again, it's not like there's much else in the sports or sports-like category going on...
Old 03-14-2020, 01:41 AM
Charter Member

Meltzer is investigating rumors that the Saudis have offered to host WrestleMania in Riyadh if Tampa pulls the plug (which they probably will).

This has the potential to be a gloriously spectacular dumpster fire.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:01 PM

I sat through the first match, but couldn't get into the silence, so I switched to Penn & Teller. I figured the show would mainly be a WM bromide because 'tis the season anyway.

WWE has always abided by "the show must go on," even when Owen Hart fell to his death during a PPV. Personally, I've lived through Swine Flu, Bird Flu, SARS, West Nile Virus, and the Andromeda Strain, and it's never approached Steven King Black Plague levels. Allergy season is approaching, and the symptoms are similar to COVID-19's. EVERYBODY PANIC AGAIN!
Old 03-16-2020, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

The CDC officially scuttled WrestleMania.

I don't follow many different wrestling news outlets, but neither of them truly understood why Vince wasn't pulling the plug on WrestleMania. Yes, it was always about the money, both for Tampa and for WWE, but (most likely) that had more to do with insurance for both of them. If Vince was cancelled on, rather than cancelling himself, he's much more likely to secure an insurance payout. And I would not be surprised in the least to find that whatever contract was written to use the venue holds the venue more liable if it becomes unavailable. It was a game of chicken, and Vince was correct not to blink first.

As for the Owen Hart incident, Vince has at least gone on record saying that it was the wrong decision. Fortunately, he's never had a chance to make it again. I'm confident that there are now procedures in place to handle such a catastrophe. But far too often it takes a catastrophe to make one think that one needs plans in place to handle a catastrophe. Now, if those plans are still "the show must go on", then I'll join you in excoriating VKM. Personally, I hope to never find out.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:31 PM

WOOT! Luke Harper has reincarnated as The Exalted One, Brodie Lee in AEW! He debuted as Christopher Daniel's archenemy and gave a damn fucking good promo. He even got in a subtle dig at Vince: He said "Daniels, you're not the first out-of-touch old man I've had to deal with!"

AEW'a audienceless show is looking pretty damn good. You can hear them bickering with each other in the ring, and can appreciate how much they add to sound effects themselves. You can hear the boots making slapping sounds during kicks. Either Sammy Guevara or Darby Allin so a Bob Dylan-style sign drop during commercials, and they continued that practice tonight. They already know how to perform to a television audience. Guevara is especially killing it on the mike. singing along to Jericho's entrance music.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:01 PM

hahahahahahhahhaha DELETE! Matt Hardy hath come to AEW! WONDERFUL!
Old 03-18-2020, 11:12 PM
Charter Member

WrestleMania is now a two-night event hosted by Rob Gronkowski, because God hates us.

Last edited by Smapti; 03-18-2020 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:07 AM
Charter Member

For the last 2, maybe 3 years that is what I said WWE should do...have Rob Gronkowski host WrestleMania.

Wait, no, that is not it. Hold Wrestlemania over two nights. That's what I've been saying. Hall of Fame Thursday, Takeover Friday, Wrestlemania Saturday and Sunday. Looks like they are meeting me half-way. Give us 2 3:00 hour shows. Much easier to sit through than a 6 hour Sunday show.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:52 AM

They could revive the "Audience of One" concept from Night After Night with Allan Havey. Just have a single person sitting in the audience for both WM shows. Do the occasional shot of said audience member wearing a different WWE shirt each time and munching on nachos.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:12 AM

doubled

Last edited by Knowed Out; 03-19-2020 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
They could revive the "Audience of One" concept from Night After Night with Allan Havey. Just have a single person sitting in the audience for both WM shows. Do the occasional shot of said audience member wearing a different WWE shirt each time and munching on nachos.
Jim Cornette (who, though he has forgotten more about wrestling than I will ever know, has gone off the deep end) did have one decent idea. "Fill" the seats with Performance Center non-TV talent and their significant others. Stagger the seating, but at least have some audience. Plus, being WWE talent, they won't boo the wrong people (Cena, Reigns). Tell them to blow out their vocal cords and mike them to the moon. Certainly not the worst idea I've heard.

I think combining that with the changing shirts and corporate produced signage might make the best of a bad situation. Or it could fail horribly, but at least it would be trying something. It's not like it would make the view rate worse.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:36 AM

Impact at least benefited from taping their shows with audiences in advance. Plus, they've been using Broken Matt Hardy-level skits with Rosemary at the center of all of them. Taya Valkyrie is leading a Kardashians knockoff stable, and Rosemary hung out with them drinking mojitos and attempting to suck their souls. She also got involved with Su Yung and Havok's storyline, rescuing them after Evil Wizard James Mitchell banished them to The Undead Realm.

But her bit in the bar was meta. She was complaining how mortals fixate on one specific thing too much. Raven, sitting two stool down, disagreed with her that it was a bad thing. He said he gets the most joy out of life by hating Tommy Dreamer. They could be in rest homes bound to wheelchairs, and Raven would still figure out a way to wheel over to Dreamer and cut his IV tubes.

For context, back in ECW, Heyman booked Tommy Dreamer vs Raven as the popular jock vs the weird kid. Raven always won their matches, because Dreamer didn't need to win to get over. Dreamer finally got his win in a "loser leaves ECW" match when Raven was leaving for WCW.

I hope Rosemary never winds up in WWE. Vince wouldn't get her schtick and bury her.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:34 PM

Cody is absolutely cracking me up on commentary tonight. During the Darby vs Sabian match, he bragged about AEW's rngside barriers. "These are bike racks, folks! We don't use padding like other companies."

Tony added "And you cover them with cloth too."

Cody responded, "You know who picked them out? This guy!"