Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
This is some quality sov cit level arguing right there. The hypothetical existence of a dictionary that doesn't call a dehumanising slur a slur
Hypothetical? Broomstick, who doesn’t seem to be at all on my side here, didn’t merely grant that there might be some dictionaries out there that don't make that notation, but immediately went on to mention one that doesn’t.

Quote:
if you think it's fine to use a slur to describe people, own it.
Is it a slur to describe people as “felons” instead of phrasing it in some other way? Is it a slur to accurately describe people as “trespassers” or “perjurers” — or as “arsonists” or “burglars” or whatever, on through the alphabet — instead of wording it some other way? In a sense, you could say it is; and yet, yes, all of that strikes me as fine. So fine, in fact, that I’m not sure that’s what it means to use a slur.

Would you say ‘illegals’ is a slur the way ‘felons’ and ‘trespassers’ and ‘perjurers’ and the rest are? Or are you saying it’s a slur in a way they’re not?