Old 11-10-2019, 05:30 PM

iPad users - experiences with iPadOS 13?

Hi all,

I have last year's iPad Pro (11 inch). It currently running version 12.4 of iOS. It's nagging me to upgrade the OS to iPadOS 13.2.2.

I've heard a few horror stories about the launch version of iOS 13, but I'm not sure whether they apply to iPadOS (which I understand is now a separate operating system in its own right), or whether the initial bugs have been ironed out.

I do generally like to keep devices up to date, but in this case I'm hoping for feedback from others who have gone before...
Old 11-11-2019, 11:20 AM

I have no useful feedback for you, being in the same position; but I'd be really interested to see any answers anybody else has.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:45 AM

I've been running 13 on my iPad since the public betas. 13.0 had some glitches; the worst I ran into was some apps would crash right after starting them. But they're up to 13.2.x now and the launch day bugs are worked out. I tend to use mine mostly in landscape mode, so the ability to condense icons on the home screen and show widgets is nice.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:54 AM

I'm seeing a bunch of issues. Playing video in a window while browsing leads to stuttering video and loss of audio sync. The memory management makes switching between apps a crap shoot as to time to swap.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

I am running iPadOS 13.2.2 on an old Air 2 and a 2018 iPad 6th gen. Surprisingly zippy on both. Should be even better on a Pro.

As mentioned, denser icon grid is nice. Moving insertion point vs selection seems a bit wonky but I am getting the hang of it. Long press on a link is annoying - it brings up both a preview pane & a menu. You can stop the preview rendering in Safari but it still shows link and menu in different panes. Twitter, not os much.

Lots of other changes and new features but so far my user experience is the same as iOS 2.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:13 PM

Thanks all. Seems that there are mixed reviews on here, same as on the rest of the internet.

I just took delivery of an iPhone 11 (to replace an ageing Samsung) so that comes with iOS 13 by default. I might see how that goes.