Old 11-09-2019, 10:24 PM

Do you have any experience with Discord?

For many years I have suffered from loneliness. It turns out Discord existed since 2015. Skype existed since 2003. Team Speak existed since 2001.

Cyberilliteracy is a real problem. Can anyone tell me how you learned Discord?
Old 11-09-2019, 10:30 PM

Uh... what do you want to know? It's basically a chatroom with a ton more features. Usually you join communities for things you're interested. Oftentimes communities will set up Discords for themselves, or groups of friends will and so on. I have a server with my best friend and a main server with some people I know online that I moderate. If you're looking for something specific often subreddits will have dedicated Discords you can join.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jragon View Post
It's basically a chatroom with a ton more features.
It's a voice chat -- much much better then text. It's more like a phone or conference.

Is there anything like "Discord for dummies?"
Old 11-09-2019, 10:44 PM

Discord has voice chat, it is not generally regarded as a voice chat service. Most Discords are text/image only. My primary Discord only uses voice when playing video games together. A lot of them never use it at all.

And no I can't think of any Discord for dummies. I can explain whatever you want, I've used it every day for years, but I need to know what you want to know.

E: If you've ever used Slack for work or something, Discord is basically a more casual free Slack primarily targeted (but not exclusively) at gamers.

Last edited by Jragon; 11-09-2019 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:44 PM

I learned about Discord from an idle game, Kittens Game, which has a link to their Discord. It's fairly intuitive and more versatile than IRC in many ways. Don't have much to say about it other than that. I don't think it's really comparable to Skype. And I'm not familiar with Team Speak. IRC is more up my alley.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Personal View Post
Don't have much to say about it other than that. I don't think it's really comparable to Skype.
But you can not look for people with similar interests to voice-talk to on Skype. Or can you? Are there any skype discussion groups?

I am cyberignorant.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:47 PM

Well, it is more similar to Teamspeak but uh... only because Teamspeak just announced a redesign to make it like Discord. Teamspeak was basically just an audio service typically used for playing video games together.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I can explain whatever you want, I've used it every day for years, but I need to know what you want to know.
What is the best guide for Discord?

Do you have any Discord friends? Can a private group just for a team of friends be set up?

Last edited by CCitizen; 11-09-2019 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCitizen View Post
What is the best guide for Discord?
There is no guide I know of.

Quote:
Do you have any Discord friends? Can a private group just for a team of friends be set up?
Yes, and yes I already mentioned my best friend and I have our own server. Additionally when we lived together with another roommate we made a Discord for chores/money/housing stuff.

It's very easy and free to set up a server. I even have one with just me I use to test Discord bots or leave notes for myself I can access on other devices.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Yes, and yes I already mentioned my best friend and I have our own server. Additionally when we lived together with another roommate we made a Discord for chores/money/housing stuff.

It's very easy and free to set up a server. I even have one with just me I use to test Discord bots or leave notes for myself I can access on other devices.
Thank you. I have no offline friends.

I am looking for people to talk to in real voice. Mostly lonely middle-aged people like myself. Nothing romantic at all.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:14 PM

I mean, IDK if you're going to easily find a Discord based on those criteria. They're typically interest or community based. You either find a Discord because you know some people who set up a Discord that want you to join (online or irl) or you find a community on Reddit or in a game or something. You can browse servers based on interests. I will say voice-focused communities are very, very rare, but you may be able to hang out and chat with people semi-regularly if you also participate in the text aspect.

I'd be willing to set up an SDMB Discord and maybe some other people would use voice chat, but I'd probably only use text (and am not middle aged) and it'd be moderated quite a bit differently than it is here, to start.

Last edited by Jragon; 11-09-2019 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:18 PM

Thank you. Only practice brings experience.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:22 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

My experience with Discord (and I'm a member of a half-dozen different Discord servers) is pretty much as Jragon describes -- it's not *primarily* set up to be a voice chat service, though one can use it for that. It's mostly a text chatroom sort of thing, and there are a countless number of Discord servers, set up for people with various shared interests -- the Discords I'm in are specific to an online role-playing game that I play. ]

As Jragon notes, the only time I ever use Discord's voice chat feature is when I'm in the middle of a game, and voice chat to coordinate actions is faster than typing -- that feature is what earlier gaming-oriented chat programs, like Teamspeak and Mumble, did. Otherwise, everything I do in Discord is text chat.

I would not be at all surprised if there are specific Discord servers set up for people looking simply to socialize with other people; I'm just not aware of them, as I don't use Discord for that. So, I'm not of much help if part of what you're looking for is guidance on "how do I meet people on Discord?"
Old 11-09-2019, 11:24 PM

It sounds like you're looking for something like the old AOL or Compuserv chat rooms. Just doing a quick search for AOL chatrooms brings up an AOL faq on how to browse a list of available rooms and join them. Apparently they're still around.

ETA: I don't know whether they do voice.

Last edited by Personal; 11-09-2019 at 11:25 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:48 AM

SDMB Discord:
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=885139
Old 11-10-2019, 07:59 AM

I got on it when a site I frequent looked to be in danger of getting shut down. At first it was like “that’s that thing all this damn kids use, right?” Then after about 5 seconds I was like “oh, this is just IRC in a different wrapper.”
Old 11-10-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCitizen View Post
Thank you. I have no offline friends.

I am looking for people to talk to in real voice. Mostly lonely middle-aged people like myself. Nothing romantic at all.
I might be overstepping boundaries but... have you tried our secret meeting spot ? It's called "the nearest pub", around six or seven-ish.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
I might be overstepping boundaries but... have you tried our secret meeting spot ? It's called "the nearest pub", around six or seven-ish.
For me it's 5 (happy hour is 5-7). I have a group of regulars I meet with on Mondays, a totally different group on Wednesdays.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:46 AM

Do you know any teens? I had my teens show me the basics when I had to learn Discord about a year ago in connection to an mmo game I play. Voice chat is used to coordinate fights in certain guild groups, and to socialize.

I'm not a huge fan of voice chat for groups, since there are always a few non-stop loud talkers, and it gets hard to hear everyone or to be heard. You can selectively mute people, which helps.

You can also text chat in Discord, and post photos and video and link music. You can make private rooms, subject-specific rooms, etc. I haven't done video chat with it, but basically, it seems to be a modern, all-in-one version of all the ancient chat rooms/irc/instant messenger/bbs/etc apps we older people used over the years.

I barely use it, but a lot of people (gamers especially) seem to run it 24/7. My teens play all their games while yammering away in Discord.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Not really interested. Internet is a GigaPolis.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:00 PM

I'm with Jragon above. I don't know if you're going to find what you are looking for on Discord.

Yes, Discord has voice chat, but it's not really focused around that. Channels are much more interest or group oriented. So, if you're into "Chess" or "Overwatch", there are certainly several popular Discords for those (but most interaction will still be text/image based). But I'm not sure how much 'gen-voice-chat' there really is. Wouldn't surprise me if it existed, but that's not what most people use it for.

From my own use, I typically leave Discord running pretty much all the time but very rarely am I on voice chat - and almost exclusively on my own or friends' private channels to coordinate/socialize during our gaming sessions. Otherwise, there are several channels I follow for news, updates, etc on particular topics (like AI) or games.

Last edited by Great Antibob; 11-10-2019 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:15 AM

Another suggestion if you're lonely is trying Meetup (Not a dating site):
https://www.meetup.com

Meet up is a website / app that you join for free. Once there you can search for & join "meet ups" in your geographic area or you can organize them. Meet ups can be about anything: any subject of interest / hobby from sports to lifestyle to tech, to movies, people looking chat, anything. I joke with my wife about how they can be very specific, "left handed bridge players who prefer merlot".

We signed up to make new friends after moving to a new city. Our city has literally over a thousand meet ups, it was quite overwhelming. We're part of several meet up groups doing things like cycling, wine tasting, cards, board game night, world travellers, woodworking (me), knitting (my wife) etc. We signed up for then dropped off quite a few too.

There's no obligation to attend anything and the meeting organizer is never supposed to "profit" from it or promote the organizer's business, ie: a restaurant is not meant to organizer a fine dining event at their restaurant.

When you join a meet up group, you're basically signing up for an email list and the group organizer sends out a notice to members saying the meet up group will be having an event of some sort at X place on X date. Like a gardening discussion on spring planting at the community centre.

If you have trouble getting out of the house, there may be some other type of meetups they offer in your area - or maybe online options. It worth a shot.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Some guy we were playing games with invited us to his channel for easier voice comms. That's pretty much all I've used it for.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

I still don't understand it.

Several times I've been invited to a Discord chatroom for a World of Warcraft dungeon, and not once have I figured out the series of hoops I must jump through, and in which order, to get into the room.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:34 AM

Do you have any experience with Discord?

Let me tell you about my first marriage....
Old 11-11-2019, 02:24 PM

I do not have experience with Discord, but I have heard of it. I've also heard of Omegle, which may or may not be appealing to OP. I don't have experience with that either, but I've seen it on youtube videos. Basically, Omegle lets you voice chat or video chat with strangers. It pairs you up based on common interests. It kind of sounds like a dating thing, but I get the impression it's not really. Or it could be, but it's also just to meet people and make friends. Anyway, CCitizen, you might want to check out Omegle and let us know if it's worthwhile.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHomie View Post
I still don't understand it.

Several times I've been invited to a Discord chatroom for a World of Warcraft dungeon, and not once have I figured out the series of hoops I must jump through, and in which order, to get into the room.
It's been so long. I think we were given a code or link to the main channel or whatever it's called, which then has several rooms or subchannels. So you'd go to, say, Ruken's Discord Funhouse, then click on the WoW voice channel with everyone else in the raid group.

I had in-person help setting it up, from someone with much more games and general computer experience.

Last edited by Ruken; 11-11-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:09 PM

I got on Discord probably 4 years ago after Yahoo Messenger voice chat got too unreliable. I was on Yahoo Messenger to chat with my friend while we gamed online. These days we are on Steam voice chat, but last time we were on that it was unreliable for whatever reason so we went back to Discord for one night at least.

Last edited by control-z; 11-11-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMANCANADA View Post
Another suggestion if you're lonely is trying Meetup (Not a dating site):
https://www.meetup.com
Unfortunately I live in a remote area without drivers license.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
Anyway, CCitizen, you might want to check out Omegle and let us know if it's worthwhile.
Thanks. I will check it out.

It is a fact that some HomoInterneticus people are cyberilliterate. I must sharpen my computer skills.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by control-z View Post
I got on Discord probably 4 years ago after Yahoo Messenger voice chat got too unreliable. I was on Yahoo Messenger to chat with my friend while we gamed online. These days we are on Steam voice chat, but last time we were on that it was unreliable for whatever reason so we went back to Discord for one night at least.
Voice chat existed since 2001. But I have not mustered it due to my cyberilliteracy.