Old 11-11-2019, 09:48 AM

Bends Over?

I've been seeing this a lot lately and figure it must have some other meaning that I'm unfamiliar with. Does anyone understand this use of "bends over"?
Old 11-11-2019, 09:58 AM

Screws the pooch.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:04 AM
Endowment Member
Charter Member

It means what it says, literally. "Bent over" at the waist. To lean forward from the waist. Your three links have nothing to do with each other.
The first link goes to a celebrity who is bent over showing her ass.
The second link goes to a celebrity who bends forward at the wait to show her cleavage.
The third link is to a celebrity bent forward while running. This style of running is also referred to as "Naruto Running".

What is it exactly that you don't understand about "bend over"?
Old 11-11-2019, 10:14 AM

According to Urban Dictionary: "To prepare to get screwed literally or figuratively."

Doesn't apply in these cases, though. There it's just the literal meaning of "bending over".
Old 11-11-2019, 10:21 AM

You guys are being too literal.

It means, does something to embarrass him/her self publicly.

At least that's my understanding based on the links provided.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Nenno View Post
It means what it says, literally. "Bent over" at the waist. To lean forward from the waist. Your three links have nothing to do with each other.
The second link goes to a celebrity who bends forward at the wait to show her cleavage.
The third link is to a celebrity bent forward while running. This style of running is also referred to as "Naruto Running".

I can understand the OP's confusion. Why on earth would the fact that the subject happens to be in some form of bending at the waist be included in the headline? In multiple items, no less. I could see why Enola Gay was wondering if it was some new fad, like planking or something.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:26 AM
Endowment Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
At least that's my understanding based on the links provided.
Did you look at the pictures and videos the articles referred to? Each subject literally "bends over" for one reason or another. It's not a euphemism.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:29 AM
Endowment Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
I can understand the OP's confusion. Why on earth would the fact that the subject happens to be in some form of bending at the waist be included in the headline?
Yea. There's no use trying to rationalize the headlines of "news" articles from random websites.

Last edited by Bear_Nenno; 11-11-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Yea. There's no use trying to rationalize the headlines of "news" articles from random websites.
I clicked, trying to understand.

I feel so dirty.

Bent over, even.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Did you look at the pictures and videos the articles referred to? Each subject literally "bends over" for one reason or another. It's not a euphemism.
I could not possibly care less about celebrity news, but I did click through each link, and I gotta believe it hasn't resorted to stories about celebrities bending over at the waist.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:

I don't understand why it is part of the headline. Sure, people bend at the waist all the time, but why is it mentioned in the headline? If you were a writer, would you caption this "Angela Merkel Bends Over at the G7".

Quote:
I can understand the OP's confusion. Why on earth would the fact that the subject happens to be in some form of bending at the waist be included in the headline? In multiple items, no less. I could see why Enola Gay was wondering if it was some new fad, like planking or something.
Exactly. Makes no sense to me unless it has a different meaning than 'bends from the waist".
Old 11-11-2019, 10:42 AM

They're pretty clearly made for an audience with a thing for candids of (semi)famous women in sexy poses.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Why on earth would the fact that the subject happens to be in some form of bending at the waist be included in the headline? In multiple items, no less.
Because some people like seeing an attractive woman in a bent over pose.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:49 AM
Endowment Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Gay View Post
Exactly. Makes no sense to me unless it has a different meaning than 'bends from the waist".
It's just click-bait. They want to entice people into thinking, "Oooooooh, I want to see a picture of that celebrity bent over! I want to see her ass." Then you click on it, only to discover she is just Naruto Running. Too late, they already got your "click" which is all they wanted in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver
I could not possibly care less about celebrity news, but I did click through each link, and I gotta believe it hasn't resorted to stories about celebrities bending over at the waist.
Celebrity news isn't something I'm interested in. But I followed the links to see what gives. One article had a static picture, the other an animated gif and the other a video. Each of them literally showed a celebrity bent forward for some reason or another. Unfortunately, it has totally resorted to stories about celebrities bending over at the waist. Journalism is a lost art.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Bending over is so 2000 and late.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
They're pretty clearly made for an audience with a thing for candids of (semi)famous women in sexy poses.
Yeah, this isn't complicated.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:09 PM

I'll suggest data mining.

Data says that people click on links that include the word "bends over". Boss sees data. Boss tells minions to find people bent over and write articles about them. People like OP have their eye attracted to the word and click the link, proving that math works.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 11-11-2019 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:13 PM

if it has a new meaning, it must be really new, because urban dictionary hasn't catalogued it yet.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

All three of those pictures are from the same website, just in the past week or two and I can't get to the site anymore, so I can't see if they're all the same author.
Is this something you've seen on other sites as well (ie twitter/TMZ etc)? I'm curious if it's not a thing, but rather just something an author or editor is using to drive clicks.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonMoon View Post
Yeah, this isn't complicated.
No, not complicated; just unexpected and rather stupid, so it appears to have a deeper meaning.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:13 PM

I tried reading the linked articles, and it was like another language. It's the same feeling I would always get when I decided that I needed to be conversant in water-cooler sportsball talk, so I would try to read the articles in the sports page in the local paper: who are these people? Why does the article assume I know so much and skips important details?
Old 11-11-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
if it has a new meaning, it must be really new, because urban dictionary hasn't catalogued it yet.
All three stories are at the same website, and one guy authored two of the three articles. It's just some place's pet word so far as I can tell.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:31 AM

Quote:
SEO/clickbait. Someone might be searching for Sophie Simmons bending over in a Halloween costume. I've run several websites in my lifetime and have had several 7/8 figure client websites. you might be (but shouldn't be) surprised at what gets traffic and is monetized. It would be entirely possible to make a business or perhaps a nice chunk of a business (using multiple niche blogs/sites with income streams) completely around "celebrity women bending over" pictures. It's been done with nip slips, cleavage, butts in tight pants, whatever, you name it.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Gay View Post
I've been seeing this a lot lately and figure it must have some other meaning that I'm unfamiliar with. Does anyone understand this use of "bends over"?
If you've been seeing a lot of that lately, I would suggest that all 3 of your links go to the same place. Are you seeing a lot of this lately at alternativewhatchummahoozy dot net?

ETA:I see that this has been pointed out.

Last edited by bobot; 11-12-2019 at 06:18 AM. Reason: net, no com
Old 11-12-2019, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

We're burying the lede here, which is that an ogre like Gene Simmons somehow sired an attractive daughter.