Old 11-11-2019, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Self-migration of e-mails...

We are looking to change our Workspace e-mail over to Office 365, but we want to do our own migration rather than pay the $99 to have it done. We were hoping to just be able to copy & send over eml files using Mozilla Thunderbird, but the more we read, it looks like we'd be having to copy over all the e-mails individually.

Are we misunderstanding? Is this something we can/should do ourselves?

https://www.godaddy.com/help/save-an...underbird-1439
Old 11-11-2019, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

GoDaddy requires a login to access your link. I happen to have a GoDaddy account so I viewed the page. It is simply directions on how to use Thunderbird to save all your emails to a Windows folder, then use Outlook to import them all to a mail folder. It's easy but each user would have to do this. I am an admin on our company's Exchange account and I do not know of any back-end way to stuff emails into a user's account. How many users do you have? Is the $99 per user, or for all your users?

Mods: This is pretty much open information, not a creative work or proprietary to GoDaddy, so I assume it's OK to post this:
Quote:
Save and export emails using Thunderbird
There's a free way to export emails using Thunderbird on Mac or Windows. Then you can add your email account and save the emails from your inbox and outbox as .eml files. After your emails are save as .eml files, you can upload them to most email clients, including Outlook.

Before you can save your emails as .emls, you'll need to:

Install Thunderbird.
Add my email using Thunderbird
Create a folders on your computer for your email inbox and sent emails.
Export emails as .eml files
Saving your emails as .eml files works for any email folders within your inbox and sent emails.

Open the Inbox folder that contains the emails you want to save and export.
Select all the emails you want to save.
Right click, click Save selected emails and select EML format.
The last folder you created displays, you may need to search for it if it doesn't open as the default folder.
Click Open. Your emails save as .eml files in the folder, depending on the number of emails this can take a few minutes.
Repeat the process for all the emails within folders you want to save and export.

Import .eml files to Outlook or other email clients
Open Outlook, create new folders where you can store your old emails. (Right click in section of your choice > New Folder > Enter folder name > Tap Enter.
From your computer, open the folder(s) where you saved your emails as files.
Drag and drop the .eml files into your new Outlook folder. Your .eml files add to Outlook as new emails that you can access any time.
You can use the same type of process to move email files to other email clients.

Last edited by CookingWithGas; 11-11-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:00 AM

Where are the emails stored at present? Are they on an exchange server, or on some other mail server?

If they're on an IMAP server, it should be possible just to connect Outlook (the O365 version) to the IMAP server and see the emails directly inside Outlook - where you should also then have the option just to drag them into the native Outlook inbox or other folders.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangetout View Post
If they're on an IMAP server, it should be possible just to connect Outlook (the O365 version) to the IMAP server and see the emails directly inside Outlook - where you should also then have the option just to drag them into the native Outlook inbox or other folders.
This is a good point. I'm not sure why the OP specifically mentioned Thunderbird. Using Outlook on both ends would be easiest.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:24 PM

If you can avoid it, do NOT use GoDaddy for O365. They are running a bastardized version and you can't migrate to the "regular" O365 version and keep your O365 Tenant.

https://ca.godaddy.com/community/Man...m-p/45072#M377
Old 11-25-2019, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsToTheLeft View Post
If you can avoid it, do NOT use GoDaddy for O365. They are running a bastardized version and you can't migrate to the "regular" O365 version and keep your O365 Tenant.

https://ca.godaddy.com/community/Man...m-p/45072#M377
OK, can you create Microsoft O365 e-mail accounts with your domains which are registered/hosted at GoDaddy?
Old 11-25-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarTed View Post
OK, can you create Microsoft O365 e-mail accounts with your domains which are registered/hosted at GoDaddy?
Yes, in fact when you go to add the domain to O365, you need to prove ownership of the domain before you can complete the process. It will prompt you for your GoDaddy credentials and the process is completely automated. If your DNS was hosted with another provider (I use EasyDNS) you need to manually add a TXT or MX record to complete the process.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsToTheLeft View Post
Yes, in fact when you go to add the domain to O365, you need to prove ownership of the domain before you can complete the process. It will prompt you for your GoDaddy credentials and the process is completely automated. If your DNS was hosted with another provider (I use EasyDNS) you need to manually add a TXT or MX record to complete the process.
And what becomes of your Workspace e-mail accounts that use the domain?
Do you need to do the migration on that or what?
Old 11-25-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarTed View Post
And what becomes of your Workspace e-mail accounts that use the domain?
Do you need to do the migration on that or what?
Do you mean the GoDaddy non-O365 email service? I assume you would need to migrate. I've personally never used it.