Old 11-23-2009, 12:31 AM
Charter Member

OK, I think in this case the homage was better than the original.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Hereis the Family Guy homage

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 11-23-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Post #11 in this thread "Athletes with the most appropriate names: If only there were a famous golfer called Woods
Old 11-24-2009, 06:40 PM

I can't actually take credit for having realized this, but...

We were dancing to EMF's "Unbelievable" at a Halloween party a few weeks back and Mr. Smaje told me that Andrew Dice Clay provided the "Oh!"s and "You're unbelievable"s sampled within the song.

I had NO idea about that. Now when I hear the song, I can't believe I ever missed it!

Last edited by smaje1; 11-24-2009 at 06:40 PM. Reason: spelling!
Old 11-24-2009, 08:08 PM

I just realized after watching Lemon of Troy for the dozenth time why Milhouse's parents look so much alike: Luann is the Shelbyville version of Kirk. She mentions in that episode that she's from Shelbyville, and later when the kids go to that town, we see dopplegangers of various Springfield citizens. So Milhouse isn't a product if incest after all. Although they probably are distant cousins.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:24 AM

After watching Back to the Future I wondered for years what a "jigowatt" was, and then a few weeks ago I read in Wikipedia (bolding mine):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Lloyd originally turned down the role, but changed his mind after reading the script and at the persistence of his wife. He improvised some of his scenes,[10] taking inspiration from Albert Einstein and conductor Leopold Stokowski.[11] Brown pronounces gigawatts as "jigowatts", which was the manner a physicist said the word when he met with Zemeckis and Gale as they researched the script.[9]
Old 12-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

I've both read Gregory Maguire's book "Wicked" and seen the musical. It's a prequel to The Wizard of Oz.

I just learned that the Wicked Witch's name "Elphaba" is a tribute to author L. Frank Baum--L.F.B.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 12-04-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
So how many times did you watch the three Star Wars movies before finding out that Vader is Dutch for "father"?
I'm pretty sure it's a coincidence. Early scripts had a completely different character named Darth Vader who was relatively minor. Lucas just liked to reuse names and it became the primary villain's name. "Vader" think InVader. Just like InSidious.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:10 AM

I couldn't tell you how many times I watched Ghostbusters before I figured out Louis and Dana had to have sex to open the portal.

Keymaster = penis, Gatekeeper = vagina.

Last edited by Justin_Bailey; 12-09-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

We recently acquired a copy of Live Aid, and I enjoy it a lot. Especially the part where Sting "guest sings" with Dire Straits on Money for Nothing.

I never knew Sting was on the radio version of the song until listening to the song again after watching that.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
I'm pretty sure it's a coincidence. Early scripts had a completely different character named Darth Vader who was relatively minor. Lucas just liked to reuse names and it became the primary villain's name. "Vader" think InVader. Just like InSidious.
And InMaul and InTyranus?
Old 12-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

About a week or two ago when I was watching "Glee", I suddenly realized that the hand gesture they use for the "L" in the logo (index finger up, thumb out) is the same gesture used to indicate "Loser", which is what everyone in the Glee Club is considered by the rest of the school.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazle Weatherfield View Post
Unbelievably late in life, I realized that "Twinkle, twinkle..." and "ABC..." had the same melody. I think a comedian brought this to light for me. I had just never really thought about it. Dumb ass!
Wow...you're right!
Old 12-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by even sven View Post
Wow...you're right!
No, they are similar, but not the same. The lengths of the lines are different. Baa Baa Black Sheep is another similar one, but different from either.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I couldn't tell you how many times I watched Ghostbusters before I figured out Louis and Dana had to have sex to open the portal.

Keymaster = penis, Gatekeeper = vagina.
The first time I saw Ghostbusters, as a kid, I didn't pick up on that either, but once I watched it as an adult, it became very easy for my mind to draw connections between Sigourney Weaver and sex.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
No, they are similar, but not the same. The lengths of the lines are different. Baa Baa Black Sheep is another similar one, but different from either.
The melody itself is the same. They are all based upon the melody of the French song "Ah! vous dirai-je, Maman". Mozart even did his own take on the melody (but didn't write it, as is usually thought).

Last edited by caligulathegod; 12-09-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
The number of syllables per line/measure is different, but the length of each measure is the same and each line uses 2 measures. A group could sing all of them at the same time and they'd all be singing the pitch at all times and they'd stay in sync.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Sorry, I don't speak music. I have no idea what a measure is.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:05 AM
Charter Member

Measures marked by brackets:

[Twinkle, Twinkle] [Little Star] [How I wonder] [what you are]
[Bah Bah black sheep] [Have you any wool?] [Yes, sir, yes, sir] [Three bags full]
[ABCD] [EFG] [HIJK] [LMNOP]
Old 12-10-2009, 04:45 AM
Charter Member

[What you are] and [LMNOP] sound like different tunes to me. I'm not sure how they are the same. But if people who read music tell me they are the same, I'll just have to take their word for it.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:53 AM

Quote:
[What you are] and [LMNOP] sound like different tunes to me. I'm not sure how they are the same. But if people who read music tell me they are the same, I'll just have to take their word for it.
[whatchyoo are]
[ellemenoh pee]

Just singing them out loud, they sound the same to me -- I think you're conflating the tune with the lyrics.

Last edited by Koxinga; 12-10-2009 at 04:54 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
About a week or two ago when I was watching "Glee", I suddenly realized that the hand gesture they use for the "L" in the logo (index finger up, thumb out) is the same gesture used to indicate "Loser", which is what everyone in the Glee Club is considered by the rest of the school.
I first noticed this last night!

--Cliffy
Old 12-10-2009, 11:54 AM

"Frigidaire"

I always thought it was a cool-sounding name ( pun not intended).

Yesterday it hit me as I was opening mine up for a snack...

Wow, that's really frigid air...

That's what a refrigerator does - blows frigid air inside to keep things cool/frozen.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Measures marked by brackets:

[Twinkle, Twinkle] [Little Star] [How I wonder] [what you are]
[Bah Bah black sheep] [Have you any wool?] [Yes, sir, yes, sir] [Three bags full]
[ABCD] [EFG] [HIJK] [LMNOP]

The melody for Bah bah Black Sheep (at least in the 60s) is WAYYY different than Twinkle, Twinkle / ABCs
Old 12-10-2009, 12:41 PM
BANNED

In Trevanian's novel The Eiger Sanction, I got that some of the names were jokes. But it wasn't until the third or fourth read that I caught the fact that Mr. Dragon's first name is Yurasis.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
How about some audio help?

(MP3 format, using a different instrument for each song)

Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star

ABC

Baa Baa Black Sheep

All together now
Old 12-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

I don't think I noticed this one until the last time I watched The Sopranos through, but in season 3, Tony and Ralphie come to blows over a girl Ralphie killed. Before the girl gets killed, Tony and Silvio are talking about her, and Silvio calls her a "thoroughbred."

In season 4, Tony and Ralphie come to blows (for the last time, if you follow my meaning) over a racehorse Ralphie killed.

In retrospect, it seems obvious to me that they had Ralphie's end all planned out way in advance.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

I have heard and sung the "Jingle Bells, Batman smells" parody about a million times, including Robert Goulet on The Simpsons.

I sang it for a five year old at a tree trimming party yesterday, who informed me that "Robin lays an egg" makes sense because "robins are birds and birds lay eggs."

That thought had never occured to me.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 12-13-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:06 PM

The other day a radio station played Dream On by Aerosmith. I didn't realize it was Aerosmith until after the intro. Until then, I had though it was Don't Speak by No Doubt. They sound very similar to me.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I have heard and sung the "Jingle Bells, Batman smells" parody about a million times, including Robert Goulet on The Simpsons.

I sang it for a five year old at a tree trimming party yesterday, who informed me that "Robin lays an egg" makes sense because "robins are birds and birds lay eggs."

That thought had never occured to me.
I never thought of that either.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:30 PM

This is a bit of the opposite I guess, but I don't see how the song Domino by Van Morrison could be about anything but the discovery of gay sex:

Quote:

Don't want to discuss it
I think it's time for a change
You may get disgusted
And start thinkin' that I'm actin' strange
In that case I'll go underground
Get some heavy rest
Never have to worry
About what is worst and what is best . . . hit it

Chorus:
Oh, oh, Domino
Roll me over, Romeo, there you go (guttural Ughhh)
Lord have mercy, I said
Oh, oh, Domino
Roll me over, Romeo, there you go
Say it again
I said oh, oh, Domino
I said oh, oh, Domino
I don't know why else Romeo would be rolling him over and causing him to grunt, or why people might think it is disgusting. I really can't figure out a reasonable alternate interpretation to the line about thinking it is digusting.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministryman View Post
"Frigidaire"

I always thought it was a cool-sounding name ( pun not intended).

Yesterday it hit me as I was opening mine up for a snack...

Wow, that's really frigid air...

That's what a refrigerator does - blows frigid air inside to keep things cool/frozen.
And College Inn Broth is a play on the word collagen. The collagen from boiling bones thickens the broth.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 12-29-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:50 AM

In my favorite movie, The Right Stuff, before a risky test flight Yeager borrows a stick of gum from Ridley and states that he will pay him back later. This happens at least twice. About 20 years after first seeing the movie, I realized it is Yeager's manly way of saying "I may not live through this flight, but I'm gonna try." I'm not sure but I think my wife had to explain it to me.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:30 PM

In HS, I had a friend named Melissa. Her boss would call her "Sweet Melissa" after the Barry Manilow song "Could It Be Magic".

I remembered the night I was driving home from work and it came on the radio and I realized that it is not this romantic, ethereal song - but a song about them trying to have an orgasm.

Quote:
Come, come, come in to my arms
Let me know the wonder of all of you,
Baby I want you now, now, now and hold on fast
Could this be the magic at last."
I blame the fact that I was a virgin at the time and therefore unschooled. Now I just feel like when I hear it, I'm this total voyeur.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodyharmonius View Post
In HS, I had a friend named Melissa. Her boss would call her "Sweet Melissa" after the Barry Manilow song "Could It Be Magic".
The Allman Brothers also have song called "Melissa"(click "Play") in which the subject is referred to as "Sweet Melissa." Are you sure your friend's reference wasn't from that song?

Last FM Library Thing
Old 01-05-2010, 07:40 AM

I've been a fan of Eartha Kitt for about 20 years or so.

This morning, I was humming "Santa Baby" to myself, and when I got to "hurry down the chimney tonight," I, for the first time, realized that just might be double-entendre.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoid View Post
Scarecrow wants a brain...yet he's the smartest guy in the group who comes up with all the ideas.
Tinman wants a heart, but he's a sentimental lug.
Cowardly lion wants courage, and he's the toughest SOB there.

Duh.
How can you miss this? - it's plainly stated in the film (unless you're talking about the book, which I can't remember well enough)

Last edited by Mangetout; 01-05-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Well, there's more syllables in one than the other. One is made up of quarter notes, while the other switches to eighth notes, but the underlying melody is the same. It's kinda like when you improv a song and have to fit in a word that doesn't quite fit. To show it visually:

what | you ~|are
el-em|en-oh|pee

I'm surprised you didn't mention the similar problem with [QRS,TUV] or [WX,Y&Z], where the commas represent rests (empty spaces in the melody) where there are notes in TTLS: [Up above the world so high] [Like a diamond in the sky]

Still, the notes (in C) are as follows (with each letter being a quarter note, and a ; being a quarter rest:

CCGGAAG; FFEEDDC; GGF(F)EED; GGF(F)EED; CCGGAAG; FFEEDDC.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

I recently saw a rerun of Everybody Loves Raymond. It was Halloween and Peter Boyle's character was dressed as Frankenstein's monster. I thought that was cool, as his most famous movie role was the monster in Mel Brooks's Young Frankenstein.

Then Deborah walked by and said "Hi, Frank." My jaw dropped.

I don't know if Frank Barone/Frankenstein was intentional or just coincidence, but I never noticed it before.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filling_pages View Post
There's "gay stuff" in Wild Side, but more specifically, it's about various people were part of Andy Warhol's circle. (Holly Woodlawn, Candy Darling, Joe Dallesandro, Jackie Curtis and Joe Campbell.)
Old 01-05-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP View Post
The Allman Brothers also have song called "Melissa"(click "Play") in which the subject is referred to as "Sweet Melissa." Are you sure your friend's reference wasn't from that song?
Yeah, he used to sing the Barry Manilow version to her - just not the chorus.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:23 AM

Yesterday in the Ask the Old DJ thread, the discussion turned to WKRP In Cincinnati.

I suddenly realized that WKRP stood for W-Crap.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baal Houtham View Post
Yesterday in the Ask the Old DJ thread, the discussion turned to WKRP In Cincinnati.

I suddenly realized that WKRP stood for W-Crap.
No no no, it was W-Carp. Don't you remember the carp mascot costume for public appearances? And wasn't there a carp-dropped-from-plane publicity stunt?

Last edited by Mister Rik; 01-05-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:28 AM

I was accompanying my daughter's kindergarten class to a stage play of Winnie the Pooh, and the kindergarten teacher (and mother of 4) was astonished when, in the middle of the play, she finally realized for the first time that Kanga + Roo = Kangaroo. She had never made the connection before.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bup View Post
I've been a fan of Eartha Kitt for about 20 years or so.

This morning, I was humming "Santa Baby" to myself, and when I got to "hurry down the chimney tonight," I, for the first time, realized that just might be double-entendre.
Also the line "And go and tell old Mrs. Claus to find another pole."
Old 01-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

There are also two great semi-double entendres: lines that have a dirty side until she finishes saying the whole thing:

Quote:
Santa honey, there's one thing I really do need,
The deed
To a platinum mine
and

Quote:
Come and trim my Christmas tree,
With some decorations bought at Tiffany's,

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 01-06-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Also the line "And go and tell old Mrs. Claus to find another pole."
I'm not familiar with that lyric - whose version is that?
Old 01-06-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperelastic View Post
In my favorite movie, The Right Stuff, before a risky test flight Yeager borrows a stick of gum from Ridley and states that he will pay him back later. This happens at least twice. About 20 years after first seeing the movie, I realized it is Yeager's manly way of saying "I may not live through this flight, but I'm gonna try." I'm not sure but I think my wife had to explain it to me.
I don't think it's so much a "manly" way as a superstition. I always thought it was along the lines of "if I owe somebody a favor, fate won't let me die until I can pay 'em back."
Old 01-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bup View Post
I'm not familiar with that lyric - whose version is that?

Surprisingly, I cannot find this verse on-line. I've heard it sung with this last verse:

And then I'll pack up all my presents and my new few stole
And go and tell old Mrs. Clause to find another pole.
So Santa baby, hurry down my chimney tonight.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
So then, why the name: Leia Organa?