Old 08-24-2019, 03:51 PM

Jon McNaughton's latest Trump atrocity

https://twitter.com/McNaughtonArt/st...31145542193153

Yech.

That's not a thumb sticking out of that pallet...

Caution, some posted reply pics are NSFW.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:09 PM

This is the most understated, least retarded McNaughton painting ever. Sure, he is super wrong about how history will see The King of the Jews and The Chosen One, but at least the pants-on-head symbolism and revisionist nuttery is greatly tamped down. That he's sitting in a cathedral is somewhat underplayed and there is not one single solitary glistened-teared bald eagle to be found.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:21 PM

Lots of paintings I've seen also have a bafflingly mesomorphic cheeto.

Our standards of yech are lamentably much lower than this.

Last edited by Trancephalic; 08-24-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:37 AM
SDSAB

All the best artists smirk as they unveil their masterpieces. Everyone says so.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

All I'm seeing in this OP is a Twitter link, a cryptic comment, and something about a Trump atrocity. None of those things seems to relate to art, so I'll be moving this. Given that it's about some sort of "atrocity", I assume that the BBQ Pit is the correct place.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
[Moderating]

All I'm seeing in this OP is a Twitter link, a cryptic comment, and something about a Trump atrocity. None of those things seems to relate to art, so I'll be moving this. Given that it's about some sort of "atrocity", I assume that the BBQ Pit is the correct place.
You could have salved your bewilderment by clicking the link.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

McNaughton also did this one - Obama Foreign Policy. It depicts the President playing golf and ignoring the threat of a third world country which is developing nuclear weapons.

And the President is Barack Obama.

McNaughton is apparently serious. There's no hint that he's aware of the irony in his choice of subjects.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
This is the most understated, least retarded McNaughton painting ever. Sure, he is super wrong about how history will see The King of the Jews and The Chosen One, but at least the pants-on-head symbolism and revisionist nuttery is greatly tamped down. That he's sitting in a cathedral is somewhat underplayed and there is not one single solitary glistened-teared bald eagle to be found.
I don't know. Based on what we can see in the corner of the painting, I imagine it's a vision of what the air in America will look like after we switch over to burning clean coal for all of our energy needs. Or, possibly, the steam over the oceans as they boil away when the Earth starts approaching a Venus-like atmosphere. Either way, I think it's safe to say the painting is a fair representation of how Trump will be remembered by history. Well, I say history, that's kind of an iffy term after every living thing on Earth is dead, but, you know what I mean.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:08 PM

I'm pretty sure the picture behind the curtain is a new color scheme for Air Force One.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
I still think the Pit is the best place for this, so folks can say what they really think about it.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:20 PM

Dear god, that's fucking hilarious. Like, total MST3K level fodder.

It's just BEGGING for parody.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
McNaughton is apparently serious. There's no hint that he's aware of the irony in his choice of subjects.
I do hope he receives all the photo-shopped mockery he so richly deserves.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:34 PM

A bunch of people already are, it seems

And it isn't the first time: "One Nation Under Cthulhu"
Old 08-25-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I still think the Pit is the best place for this, so folks can say what they really think about it.
I agree, as there was already a thread a few days ago.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:28 PM

That painting is the beautiful-est, patriotic-est, accurate-est, most wonderful painting I've ever seen in my life.

Now, do I keep my Medicare and survivor benefits, Don?
Old 08-25-2019, 07:34 PM

Holy God, I see these are for sale, who would actually buy one of these besides Jeffrey Epstein or something?
Old 08-25-2019, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
Holy God, I see these are for sale, who would actually buy one of these besides Jeffrey Epstein or something?
Pence.

ETA: And Lindsey Graham.

ETAA: And come to think of it, Roger Stone and Devin Nunes.

Last edited by Morgyn; 08-25-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:23 PM

I could see Hannity with one.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:25 PM

Ok I bet Rush Limbaugh would buy one too!

And then sell it to his listeners for 200% profit.

Last edited by pool; 08-25-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I could see Hannity with one.
Vice:
Quote:
The day after Donald Trump stunned the predictors and won the presidency, Sean Hannity showed his Fox News viewers what he thought “this election is all about." He filled the screen with a painting depicting Barack Obama defiantly standing on the Constitution while a dejected man in a hooded jacket sits slumped on a park bench, ignored by the president.

The 2011 painting was called the "The Forgotten Man," a phrase Trump himself had used in his victory speech the night before when he pledged that “the forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer.” Hannity was so taken with the painting by Utah artist Jon McNaughton that he called him that day and bought the 40” x 60” original.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:00 PM

I find the guy quite talented as an artist. I especially like the small details buried in the background of his crowds.

Too bad he’s batshit insane.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walken After Midnight View Post
Hah, it was total speculation on my part.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQwark View Post
I don't know. Based on what we can see in the corner of the painting, I imagine it's a vision of what the air in America will look like after we switch over to burning clean coal for all of our energy needs. Or, possibly, the steam over the oceans as they boil away when the Earth starts approaching a Venus-like atmosphere. Either way, I think it's safe to say the painting is a fair representation of how Trump will be remembered by history. Well, I say history, that's kind of an iffy term after every living thing on Earth is dead, but, you know what I mean.

I thought it looked like New York underwater, after we burn enough coal.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
I find the guy quite talented as an artist. I especially like the small details buried in the background of his crowds.

Too bad he’s batshit insane.
That's the sad thing -- dude does actually have talent. But he wastes it on shit like this.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
That's the sad thing -- dude does actually have talent. But he wastes it on shit like this.
I disagree. I'm not saying McNaughton has no talent. But he's basically got technical skills. There are probably ten thousand people in this country who can paint as well as he can.

Here are some examples of his landscapes, so we can judge him without the politics:

Autumn Heights
Blossom Lane
Grandma's Rocking Chair
Old Watermill
Path to the Ocean
Thunder Canyon

These are not artistic masterpieces. These are the kinds of paintings a skilled hobbyist makes.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

You know we already had a thread about this masterpiece:

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=880758
Old 08-26-2019, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
Pence.

ETA: And Lindsey Graham.

ETAA: And come to think of it, Roger Stone and Devin Nunes.
IFF Jesus is under the cloth, Ben Carson might buy one...
Old 08-26-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
These are the kinds of paintings a skilled hobbyist makes.
There's something... amateurish about them. Like his understanding of light and shadow is that basically the whole painting is properly exposed (if it was a photograph), and the parts that are lit are floodlit. It's weird looking.

Maybe it's a stylistic choice, or a style of painting- I don't know a whole lot about artistic trends really. But I do know that I've seen other works by other painters that don't have such a weird sort of contrast. Plus, it's like he's dialed up the saturation on some parts and down on others as far as the colors go.

There's just something... off about the landscapes. At least with the indoor paintings, the light/shadow stuff is more normal- that weirdness isn't what stands out in that godawful Trump painting.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Weird. That one of Obama golfing while the bombs go off...doesn't even look like Obama. Could be any one of a number of African-Americans with a golf club in their hand. Even the explosion looks cheesy and slap-dash.

But, boiled down, its not some much that I hate his painting, it's that his painting hates me!
Old 08-26-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Weird. That one of Obama golfing while the bombs go off...doesn't even look like Obama. Could be any one of a number of African-Americans with a golf club in their hand. Even the explosion looks cheesy and slap-dash.

But, boiled down, its not some much that I hate his painting, it's that his painting hates me!
It almost looked to me as though the body looked like Bill Clinton's or something, oddly enough. Maybe he started doing a Clinton painting, and then changed it to Obama.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:52 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
It almost looked to me as though the body looked like Bill Clinton's or something, oddly enough. Maybe he started doing a Clinton painting, and then changed it to Obama.
Maybe it started out as Clinton in blackface.

Bill Clinton Says ‘I Loved Being Called The First Black President’
Quote:
Before the days of Barack Obama, the African-American community affectionally embraced Bill Clinton as the first Black President. Of course, that all changed when the big O was elected into office in 2008, but Clinton said he still holds those memories dear to his heart.

“I loved being called the first Black president,” he revealed during an appearance on “Jimmy Kimmel Live” this week. “But, Barack Obama really is, he deserves it.”
Old 08-26-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I disagree. I'm not saying McNaughton has no talent. But he's basically got technical skills. There are probably ten thousand people in this country who can paint as well as he can.

Here are some examples of his landscapes, so we can judge him without the politics:

Autumn Heights
Blossom Lane
Grandma's Rocking Chair
Old Watermill
Path to the Ocean
Thunder Canyon

These are not artistic masterpieces. These are the kinds of paintings a skilled hobbyist makes.
All those paintings have slightly skewed perspective. They're wonky, and they all seem to be sliding a bit to the left. Especially the Watermill one. If I saw one in person I'd probably keep trying to straighten it, but it's not the way it was hung that's the problem.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrps View Post
(snip ...) but it's not the way it was hung that's the problem.
That’s what Trump said.

I’ll see myself out.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
McNaughton also did this one - Obama Foreign Policy. It depicts the President playing golf and ignoring the threat of a third world country which is developing nuclear weapons.

And the President is Barack Obama.

Oh lord. I'm not even very good at golf, and I can see that this pose is just completely wrong.

And if an atomic bomb has just gone off behind him, why is his shadow off to the left?!?
Old 08-26-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Oh lord. I'm not even very good at golf, and I can see that this pose is just completely wrong.

And if an atomic bomb has just gone off behind him, why is his shadow off to the left?!?
It looks like he’s skipping rope, not swinging a club.

And see, it’s a mushroom CLOUD, and clouds block light, so he’s illuminated from the bright sky in the upper-left...
Old 08-26-2019, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
The OP could have saved the confusion with a better description of what this thread is about in the first place. It's the OP's job to set the stage for a discussion rather than to make viewers click links.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:36 PM

When I saw this addition to the canon of American art, I wondered if it was by the same artist who gave us the masterpiece "Trippin' Balls with the Lord" but apparently, we're graced with not one but two brilliant painters. Go America!
Old 08-26-2019, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Autumn Heights
Blossom Lane
Grandma's Rocking Chair
Old Watermill
Path to the Ocean
Thunder Canyon

Not all that skilled. In almost all of them, things like houses are trying to slide off the left side of the canvas.

ETA: I see that carrps beat me to it.

Last edited by Chefguy; 08-26-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:13 PM

They were probably trying to run away from the brush.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:

Autumn Heights
Blossom Lane
Grandma's Rocking Chair
Old Watermill
Path to the Ocean
Thunder Canyon

Reminds me of Thomas "Painter of Light" Kinkade, who trademarked his style, pumped out a bunch of 'base' paintings and had an army of technically good painters 'embellish' them. Only not as good. Which is saying something.

I think he puts more effort into his political paintings as they are vastly better than these things, giving credence to trope that insanity enhances art.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Reminds me of Thomas "Painter of Light" Kinkade, who trademarked his style
He used the phrase “Painter of Light” as a trademark, if that’s what you mean.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
The OP could have saved the confusion with a better description of what this thread is about in the first place. It's the OP's job to set the stage for a discussion rather than to make viewers click links.
No shit, but speculating on what it might possibly be and then moving it to another forum without clicking the fucking link is just plain silly.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:10 PM

Heroin Jesus? THAT was cool! LOL Who knew Jesus was a crackhead?

Quote:

Autumn Heights
Blossom Lane
Grandma's Rocking Chair
Old Watermill
Path to the Ocean
Thunder Canyon

I didn't say he was a master, just that he's wasting his skills on crap. He's better than Thomas Kinkade, who made everything look like it was on fire.

This guy could probably be good if he went beyond the cliched bullshit, and actually practiced. That's the sad thing about a lot of these artists -- they have the basic skills, but they waste them. Take some classes, practice, study. You might do something really cool.

Last edited by Guinastasia; 08-26-2019 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
He used the phrase “Painter of Light” as a trademark, if that’s what you mean.
A phrase which he appropriated from English artist JMW Turner and still his crappy pastorals were better than McNaughton's. I speak with the authority of a person whose taste is located directly in her mouth.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrps View Post
All those paintings have slightly skewed perspective. They're wonky, and they all seem to be sliding a bit to the left. Especially the Watermill one. If I saw one in person I'd probably keep trying to straighten it, but it's not the way it was hung that's the problem.
Yup. A couple of them look like they would have water dripping off the left side. That watermill one would drive me nuts. I'd be forever trying to straighten it.

But, he does capture something. Nothing I would ever hang in my house. My Mom, Dad and a cousin are artists, and I have their work hanging in my house.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
A phrase which he appropriated from English artist JMW Turner and still his crappy pastorals were better than McNaughton's. I speak with the authority of a person whose taste is located directly in her mouth.
Theres nothing illegitimate about that. There’s no requirement that someone be the first to use a phrase to make it one’s trademark. One must just be the first to use it as a trademark.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:00 PM

¿
Quote:
Turner's pastorals just need the addition of a railroad or mill, the more satanic the better, to be brilliant.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:

Autumn Heights
Blossom Lane
Grandma's Rocking Chair
Old Watermill
Path to the Ocean
Thunder Canyon

Yeah, those suck.

I was actually thinking of a painting that included Trump sitting around a table with other Republicans, but google tells me that was by Andy Thomas.

I didn’t realize that there so many of these painters out there (Thomas has done some Democratic friendly ones, too)
https://andythomas.com/product-categ...itical-prints/
Old 08-26-2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Whose, Kinkade's or Turner's? Because if you mean Kinkade's, I totally disagree. Far too sugary. But again, great for parody.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Whose, Kinkade's or Turner's? Because if you mean Kinkade's, I totally disagree. Far too sugary. But again, great for parody.
I don't mind the high brix, although I am liking it less and less as time goes by, but my real beef with Kincade is that he isn't good at what he does. For a lot of artists, even if you don't like the thing, you can at least say "well, if that's the sort of thing you like, you'll like this sort of thing." But any number of other artists can do the twee twilight cottage motif better than Kinkade, who suffers from a lack of perspective and, ironically, proper lighting.