Old 10-29-2019, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Do you ever go to your city's "bad part of town"?

Inspired by the "bad city's" thread.

I'm currently living in my city's "bad part," and working nights. I have a 15 minute walk from my bus stop to my house. After dark, and in the bad part of town.

People's jaws drop when I tell them this. I'm a skinny elderly person, and they ask if I am afraid. Hell, no. I walk fast and look mean at anyone who glances at me. I give them my "You do not want to fuck with me" look and they take the hint.

I have, however, seen some deer and ducks while walking home, and gotten a few "Good evening" wishes from strangers.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:27 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

According to some people, I live in my city's "bad part of town."
Old 10-29-2019, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Your city's "bad part of town" has deer and ducks?

Is that why it's the bad part?
Old 10-29-2019, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

I'm not sure where the local "bad part" is anymore, after the bad part of the county got redeveloped about 20 years ago.

The community center a half mile from home used to be a nexus of gang activity but that's been redeveloped as well.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 10-29-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post

You don't know the half of it.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:53 AM

Two anecdotes, which might or might not mean a whole lot:

1) Much of the "bad part of town" crime that people fear actually occurs between people who know each other. Crime against strangers is not completely unknown, but is uncommon compared to crime between and against folks living in the area itself.

2) Simply catching the eye of a potential attacker from a distance is said to sharply reduce the probability of attack. There's a sweet spot time- and distance-wise ... this won't help if an attack is imminent. But if a prospective perpetrator sees you looking at them from across the street or 50 feet down the sidewalk, it seems to reduce the likelihood of a crime being committed.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:55 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:

She certainly has a wild life.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:55 AM

Chicago has several "bad parts".

I never go to the S side, but periodically will drive through questionable parts of the West side. Always during the day and stay on main streets. Only place I go TO is the Garfield Park Conservatory.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:57 AM

I bought a house in what you'd call a "neighborhood in transition". Not unlike the fight against ignorance, it's taking longer that I expected It's much better now - when I moved in there were crack houses and gunfire and all around thuggery - now just a few shady characters here and there. I never feel unsafe or anything, but it's reputation never quite changed. The snobs in my office wouldn't deign to drive through it.

I also regularly shop in the bad part of town. Because it's much cheaper there. It's unpleasant but the fact is I'm pretty financially challenged at the moment.

I worked in the garment district of L.A. when I was young. Not a nice place (my car stereo got stolen on my first day of work).
Old 10-29-2019, 11:59 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

I live where I live because there is no bad side. Unless you count Walmart.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:

Well, according to the deer and ducks, it was after Annie-Xmas moved in that things really started to go downhill.

I put "bad part of town" in Google Maps and couldn't find anything. But I think I've been there. I vaguely remember when I was driving taxi one guy jumping in the cab and saying, "Take me to the bad part of town--and fast!"
Old 10-29-2019, 12:09 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

I've lived in areas where the attack dogs were brought in at night for their safety.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:19 PM

If you consider "my city" to be only the suburb I live in, I don't think it has any truly bad parts. It's one of the more affluent suburbs of Sacramento. Some of the snobbier residents of Folsom might consider the neighborhood I live in to be the "bad part of town", but it's still a quiet residential neighborhood. Just an older, more working class residential neighborhood.

If we're talking about the entire Sacramento area, I work in North Highlands, which is generally considered to be one of the worst parts of Sacramento. I do see a lot of homeless people pushing shopping carts around during my drive in to work. I don't feel unsafe simply driving through the area, and the office parking lot is fairly secure, but I don't think I would want to live there or have to walk through the neighborhood at night.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:

Well, it is duck season. Got to stay away because deer are notoriously bad shots.

The park in my neighborhood can be dangerous for ducks(mostly gulls, herons, and egrets though). I have seen a couple of birds taken out by gators.

Anywho - My town doesn't really have a bad section - just a couple of apartment complexes and trailer parks that have bad reputations. As Bordelon points out, they are almost always only dangerous to the people that live there.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
Chicago has several "bad parts".

I never go to the S side, but periodically will drive through questionable parts of the West side. Always during the day and stay on main streets. Only place I go TO is the Garfield Park Conservatory.
As long as I have a destination in mind and know where I'm going, I don't worry. I've gone to get ribs at Lem's at 75th, just west of MLK, several times at midnight or one a.m. after photographing a wedding, dressed in my nice clothes, and I've never had any sort of issue. Same with places like Barbara Ann's or (now sadly defunct) Uncle John's, also in that general Grand Crossing/Greater Grand Crossing area. I've never particularly been worried about driving through any neighborhood, though I will generally stick to main thoroughfares.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:34 PM

As an EMT, I've had to go to whatever part of town the emergency was in, be it the insane asylum, the prison, the homeless shelter, the trailer park, or anywhere else dangerous. Luckily, if it's determined to be a dangerous situation, police are dispatched and secure the scene before we get there, and I never have to head in there alone.

Though there was one time when we were dispatched to a diabetic emergency in a 7-Eleven. We showed up, and the guy initially seemed disoriented and harmless, but in the back of the unit he started making lewd comments and gestures and unbuckling his restraints. Not the first time that's happened, but normally, the people doing that seem harmless, just a bit intoxicated. This guy, on the other hand, had a look on his face like he would take pleasure in restraining and hurting me, and it was terrifying enough that after we had turned him over to the hospital staff I started crying. When we Googled his name afterwards, it turns out he had a criminal history which included violence.

But when I'm not on duty? Nope. I have no desire to venture into the bad part of town.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:50 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Cordelia: The Bronze. It's the only club worth going to around here. They let anybody in, but it's still the scene. It's in the bad part of town.
Buffy: Where's that?
Cordelia: About half a block from the good part of town. We don't have a whole lot of town here.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Chicago. Nope. I almost never go south of Roosevelt unless Iím going to the University of Chicago for a political lecture.

I donít go west either. Thereís nothing out there.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Chicago. Nope. I almost never go south of Roosevelt unless Iím going to the University of Chicago for a political lecture.
Jim Croce songs notwithstanding, "south of Roosevelt" isn't a useful shorthand for "bad part of town". You don't really encounter anything even arguably "bad part of town" until maybe 26th Street (Dearborn Homes), and even there it's patchy. Roosevelt through Cermak is downright bougie, in the South Loop area.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:32 PM

I live on the edge of Southwest Little Rock. That section of the city has a lot of shootings and crime. I avoid it at night.

I shop and eat in Southwest Little Rock. I've never had any problems. I don't have any need to go into the apartment complexes or neighborhoods. Some of them are frequently in the news.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-29-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorgHunter View Post
Jim Croce songs notwithstanding, "south of Roosevelt" isn't a useful shorthand for "bad part of town". You don't really encounter anything even arguably "bad part of town" until maybe 26th Street (Dearborn Homes), and even there it's patchy. Roosevelt through Cermak is downright bougie, in the South Loop area.
I was going to say "South of Roosevelt" has some prime real estate through about Cermak. I see Lamborghinis down there (and I'm not exaggerating at all.) And even south of there, Pilsen and Bridgeport are becoming quite hipsterish parts of town, even bleeding down a bit to McKinley Park if you follow Archer a bit to the southwest. And Kenwood, of course, is where the Obamas live (and the Farrakhan mansion is there, too), so it's got some swank there, too. And Hyde Park, also mentioned, has million dollar homes there, as well. And then if you head somewhat the hell down south to Beverly (because Chicago goes pretty far south in parts--we're talking 90s and 100s here around Western), you'll find gorgeous and expensive homes out there as well.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

In northern New Jersey, wild life is apt to be anywhere. The ducks were swimming in a big puddle after some heavy rains, and the deer was eating leaves off a tree. I once came out of my house only to be held captive (both literally and figuratively) by a mama deer with her two fawns. If I had made one move, the doe would have attacked. And they were so beautiful.

I've also seen wild turkeys, one who flew from the ground to a fencepost.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:03 PM

In my experience, people tolerate lots of crime as lonq as the neighborhood is hip enough. Lots of expensive well-kept houses and bars, restaurants, and shopping within walking distance make people kinda forget about crime.

Take away the ammenities and the rich people and suddenly the crime is all anyone can talk about.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2019, 02:10 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I live in a boring middle-to-upper-middle-class suburb so there's no "bad side." But people have gotten it into their heads that our Wal Mart is a very dangerous place because there's shoplifting there because it's Wal Mart. Also people come from out of town to shop there.

No one's ever been killed or mugged or molested or stabbed or injured at our Wal Mart, though. So while others will go 20 miles away to a different Wal Mart where they feel "safe" I continue to patronize ours at any hour because, geez people...

As for Cleveland and Akron, no I am only ever in the regular "tourist" parts of the cities where the sports teams and music venues are.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:54 PM
born to be shunned

Put me down as another in the bad part of town. I actually had to work my motorcycle out through the man-door and through the yard because the body across my garage door hadn't been moved yet. At one point it was nice, then bad, then nice, and now bad again. Cycles happen.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorgHunter View Post
Jim Croce songs notwithstanding, "south of Roosevelt" isn't a useful shorthand for "bad part of town".
Just don't go listening to Paper Lace songs. You could drown trying to visit the east side of Chicago.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:20 PM

I work in Sauget, IL. Which is essentially East St. Louis. So...
Old 10-29-2019, 04:24 PM

Business takes me to bad parts of town, but not the worst parts.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
I live in a boring middle-to-upper-middle-class suburb so there's no "bad side." But people have gotten it into their heads that our Wal Mart is a very dangerous place because there's shoplifting there because it's Wal Mart. Also people come from out of town to shop there.

No one's ever been killed or mugged or molested or stabbed or injured at our Wal Mart, though. So while others will go 20 miles away to a different Wal Mart where they feel "safe" I continue to patronize ours at any hour because, geez people...
Same here. The worst parts of our town are just a little seedy, nothing dangerous about it. We did have one murder a couple of years, less than a mile away from my house, but that was a rare event. There are two small poor cities that border this town and they don't really have any particularly bad part either, just poverty stricken. Some parts of Providence may be considered the bad part, but they aren't really that bad compared to real cities in real states.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I live on the edge of Southwest Little Rock. That section of the city has a lot of shootings and crime. I avoid it at night.

I shop and eat in Southwest Little Rock. I've never had any problems. I don't have any need to go into the apartment complexes or neighborhoods. Some of them are frequently in the news.
For a brief period of my life, I lived near Chicot and Baseline. I got the hell out as soon as I could. I moved up to the north end of Reservoir Road. Much better up there.

To the OP: No, never -- unless absolutely forced to by circumstances.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightray View Post
I work in Sauget, IL. Which is essentially East St. Louis. So...
That's a lot like Ladue, no?
Old 10-29-2019, 04:53 PM

I had to look up crime stats to figure out what the "bad part of town" might be. Looks like by most metrics (I think 'serious assault rates' is the best one) it's the one in between my house, University, and my kids school, that I cycle through every day.Kambukta's former stomping ground (I believe?) of Fitzroy - one of those places you have to mortgage your firstborn to be able to afford to buy a house there.

The suburbs that have a reputation for being 'rough' these days are mostly on the city fringe, and I don't have reason to get out there usually (also, there's a hell of a lot of fringe, and only really tiny pockets of 'rough')
Old 10-29-2019, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

The bad parts in my actual city, sure. But while they have more crime, it's not that a random person has to be scared. Now, the bad parts of city of Milwaukee, not if I can avoid it. I mean, I'll drive through them if that's the way to my destination, but if I was just driving around I wouldn't joyride through some of those areas. Far too much random violence and too many reports of people getting hit or killed by stray bullets/crossfire.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:41 PM

I drive to a small university town once a week or so. I like to go in the junk shops down on the 'front'. I've never had a problem.
I understand it gets pretty rough at night.
OTOH, years ago I was taking my MIL to an eye doctor in a very upscale area. We came out and she walked around the back of my car and was mugged. They stole her purse and knocked her down. You just never can tell where crime wiil occur.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:51 PM

Our neighborhood is considered the "bad part" of the affluent county we live in. I've heard cashiers at our Giant Supermarket say that people who work in ritzier areas call our store the "Ghetto Giant."
Old 10-29-2019, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

In the 5 years I have been living where I am now there have been two murders in my street in a generally rough area. The street is only about 130 yards long. It doesn't worry me, I am frequently walking around here to go shopping or strolling to the park to read.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:09 PM

Sometimes I get off the CTA Red Line at 35th (the station near the stadium where the White Sox play) and walk a few blocks to work. There are worse parts of town, but that's all I got.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

I've been in housing projects on Cleveland's East Side. I was there with my mom, who was visiting her "honorary grandchildren", former students who just sort of attached themselves to her.

I've also walked through some neighborhoods which a lot of folks would probably be scared to go near, but which bore the signs (if you knew where to look) of folks just trying to make the best of life, but starting from the bottom.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:23 PM

In Chicago, there's a few to choose from.

I've been driven through Englewood a couple of times.

We used to go to the Jehovah's Witnesses Assembly Hall way back when it was at 79th and Ashland. That area didn't look great. This was during the 70's.

Some suburban types might think the Uptown neighborhood is shady, I love it. It's like a second home to me. Great restaurants, and a Starbucks somebody got shot to death in. Plus the Green Mill and its gangster past. Walking over Prohibition tunnels. It's history come to life.

We did move away from the Cragin/Belmont area when it became too gang infested. But those were white gangs, and they weren't dangerous. Just really a bunch of assholes. Who wants to live around loud drunken assholes every night?
Old 10-29-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post

We did move away from the Cragin/Belmont area when it became too gang infested. But those were white gangs, and they weren't dangerous. Just really a bunch of assholes. Who wants to live around loud drunken assholes every night?
It occurs to me that this part of my post might be construed as racist. I didn't mean it that way. The gangs in my old neighborhood never scared me, they just pissed me off.

Anyway, now I live with a mix of races and religions and I like it just fine. Beats living with loud drunken assholes any day of the week.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:41 PM

When I was living in Fort Wayne I was really into bicycling for a while. I did a lot of urban exploring, riding around brownfield type sites and riding through some neighborhoods that had a reputation for being "bad." This was always Saturday or Sunday morning/afternoon rides and nobody ever bothered me. The city has an extensive bike trail system that skirts some rough areas and judging by the graffiti some gang activity but again, I was riding during the daylight hours.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
That's a lot like Ladue, no?
One has a lot of murders, one has a lot of lawyers. Potato, potahto.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
Put me down as another in the bad part of town. I actually had to work my motorcycle out through the man-door and through the yard because the body across my garage door hadn't been moved yet. At one point it was nice, then bad, then nice, and now bad again. Cycles happen.
How long did that body remain there? Did you ever report the corpse in your driveway?

I guess this is a good reason to live in a small town. Dead bodies get cleaned up in a timely fashion.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
'e's not dead... 'e'es pining for the fjords!
Old 10-30-2019, 10:47 AM

When I was a lot younger I lived in San Francisco in the Western Addition which was certainly one of the bad parts. An acquaintance was killed for pocket change by a couple of hopheads while I was there. I came across bloodstains on the sidewalk a couple times. You learned to walk in the middle of the street, no matter what the traffic, and stay extremely alert at all times. It wasn't restful. I moved out when I could.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
When I was a lot younger I lived in San Francisco in the Western Addition which was certainly one of the bad parts. An acquaintance was killed for pocket change by a couple of hopheads while I was there. I came across bloodstains on the sidewalk a couple times. You learned to walk in the middle of the street, no matter what the traffic, and stay extremely alert at all times. It wasn't restful. I moved out when I could.
Are IPAs that expensive in San Fran?
Old 10-30-2019, 03:06 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
How long did that body remain there? Did you ever report the corpse in your driveway?

I guess this is a good reason to live in a small town. Dead bodies get cleaned up in a timely fashion.

Didn't have to; opened the door and there is Victim A and a lot of cops and other city folks all standing around there. I wanted to back the Sportie around it kinda but noooooo -- preserving the scene and all that. If I had gotten there first I would have gotten the bike out first and THEN called. After all it isn't like he was going to get any deader.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
Are IPAs that expensive in San Fran?
Um.
Still can't joke about it all these years later.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
Um.
Still can't joke about it all these years later.
Sorry, bad taste. I just haven't heard the term "hophead" before. Hooplehead, yes (thanks Deadwood).
Old 10-30-2019, 03:36 PM

I live outside of town. Here the "good part" and "bad part" are almost side by side. There is one of the richest people in town two houses from a house that is falling apart and so she has to live in a trailer behind the house (with what seems like 100 cats), which is across the street from the house with the confederate and Gadsden flags with the weekly target practice (or something) with big guns, which is next door to a more upscale house.
So, I don't walk past the creek going one way but will go to the end of the street the other way. I do drive through the "bad part".