Old 11-05-2019, 01:25 PM

I dropped my subscription to Cycle World when I determined they had more pages devoted to Nicotine delivery products than to any motorcycles I had interest in.

And they keep begging me to come back.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:38 PM

I'm 67. I've subscribed to tons of magazines in the past. Today I get

4 SF magazines - Asimov's, Analog, F&SF (subscription started in 1968) and Clarkesworld. I collect, so emagazines won't do. I have 3,466 sf magazines in my collection.
The New Yorker.
IEEE Spectrum
Another IEEE magazine which runs my column.
Technology Review (free as an alum who donates.)

I sometimes buy Skeptic at B&N, and Games if I'm going on a trip.
We also get, free, an AirBnB magazine which often isn't bad.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:46 PM

I used to subscribe to a variety of magazines and typically had 3 or 4 at any given time, but I don't subscribe to any right now. I still occasionally pick up a copy of Finescale Modeler from the bookstore if there is an article that interests me. It's a magazine about model building, so the articles are often about techniques rather than news that would go out of date by the time the magazine is published.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:51 PM

I currently subscribe to the Economist. Apart from that I can't recall buying or subscribing to a magazine as an adult. I'm nearly 40 years old.

As a kid I did have a Mad magazine subscription. This was back in South Africa, so I have a memory of it being somewhat expensive, but that may not be an accurate memory.

I suppose technically my cub scout son subscribes to Boys Life. I'd count that as a subscription since he actually does read and look forward to it.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:56 PM

I subscribe to a fly fishing magazine and to The Week, a news magazine. I have online subscriptions to the Atlantic and Foreign Affairs. I'm 53.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Most of the magazines I get nowadays are because I support assorted nonprofits, and they insist on sending me magazines. In the hopes that I'll give more money next year, I'm sure.

I've also got a cheap subscription to the New Yorker because I was reading some of their more serious journalism online, and figured they deserved some support. Getting a magazine from them weekly is WAY too much reading material; I'm gonna cancel. If they sold an 'online subscription' for cheap, I'd have bought that instead, but didn't see one.

So I don't intentionally get any magazines.

I definitely haven't intentionally subscribed to magazines since we brought the Firebug home from Russia back in 2009. I know I usually had a few magazine subscriptions going back in the pre-Internet and dial-up eras, and I'm pretty sure I still had a couple of subscriptions going into the 00's. I was also subscribing to the Washington Post daily paper until 2009, but the combination of parenthood and the Web killed both my newspaper and magazine subscriptions.

As far as buying magazines at a newsstand, maybe occasionally a Penthouse or something back in the pre-Internet days; that would have been about it.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:56 PM

I used to have some about home improvement but I noticed about every 2 years they start to repeat topics. There are only so many things that can be fixed in a home. So every 2 years another issue on say, installing a toilet. And the same on car magazines. How many times can you discuss working on a carburetor on a 75 Camaro?

A friend said it was about a 1 year cycle for fitness magazines. There are only so many muscles of the body to work out. Same for a magazine on Golf. Eventually you run out of discussing different shots to hit or clubs to use.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Haven't bought anything on a newstand in years, but I still have several subscriptions: The New Yorker, Fantasy and Science Fiction, Consumer Reports, and The Atlantic.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
Shit, dale - that's A LOT of reading material! Just the Economist and New Yorker landing in my mailbox weekly would be more than I could handle!
I spend a lot of time on public transit and theyíre perfect. Also, a lot them arenít really time dependent. I didnít touch a Smithsonian history magazine all summer, but now that itís getting colder, I will. I assume George Washington is still dead.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:21 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

We've had a variety of magazine subscriptions over the years, but now, the only one we get is AARP and AAA, and that's just because they came with the memberships. For the most part, then go into the recycle bin unread.

When we were actively sailing, we got 3 or 4 sailing magazines. But now, we find what we want on line.

We're in our mid-60s.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

I like magazines, so I keep subscribing to keep them going that last extra bit until they die.

My wife and I subscribe to most of the science and archaeology magazines that haven't descended into pictures and captions (Discover, BBC Science). Others were offered for virtually nothing, like Entertainment Weekly, which is now a monthly and mostly useless. Bloomberg Businessweek came that way and has more of interest. Harper's too. No news magazines, since none can say anything on the news that isn't old news. We get bunches of magazines from the library, too. I just prefer reading print for long-form works. Computers are mostly uncomfortable for anything longer than a post.

Funny Times is a fun oddity, a newsprint magazine that reprints cartoons and humorous articles. It's wildly liberal and still has the whiff of hippie sensibility it's had for decades. Find it. Support it. Enjoy it.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:01 PM

I'm 67 and used to buy magazines a lot as my magazine tastes are usually about cars. virtually every bit of information is now available on line so about the only time I buy a magazine is if I have a flight somewhere and the internet connection on the plane isn't free. (yes, I'm still scottish)
Old 11-05-2019, 05:07 PM
SD Curator of Critters

I'm 68. I subscribe to Scientific American and National Geographic, which I've done for around 30-40 years. I find I don't have time to keep up reading them. I used to catch up on long-distance flights but now with seat back entertainment I often find it more painless to just veg out. it I used to subscribe to Natural History, but let it lapse. It's been years since I bought a magazine off a rack.

When I was a kid I used to get Mad, and later National Lampoon. I used to read Time and Newsweek, and later The Economist.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

I used to subscribe to Reader's Digest so I'd have something to read while commuting. Let my subscription lapse when I started working from home.

Subscribed to MAD and Boy's Life during my teen years.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 11-05-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Never had a subscription to a magazine, but during the 70's and 80's bought every edition of two 'alternative lifestyle' mags published here in Australia.

Have never bought a magazine since app 1989, I'm 59 now.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
I've also got a cheap subscription to the New Yorker because I was reading some of their more serious journalism online, and figured they deserved some support. Getting a magazine from them weekly is WAY too much reading material; I'm gonna cancel. If they sold an 'online subscription' for cheap, I'd have bought that instead, but didn't see one.
You should have tried it in the '80s, when every issue was 3 times bigger than the ones now. I used to read every word, then work and kids made me get behind - a year behind. Now I just read the interesting stuff.

I did cancel for a while when that woman was editor.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Boy's Life.
Years ago.

Archie Comics Digests.
Currently.
What you call awareness is, in fact, me.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:02 PM

Yes, many subscriptions (some are profession-related). And I buy single issues occasionally, usually cooking quarterlies.

I'm old, man.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:18 PM

I love magazines and currently have about 20 subscriptions. However, I don't pay for them myself. I get them free through e-mail offers and by taking short surveys. I buy individual issues every now and then too.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:06 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post

Do you buy magazines? On a frequent basis? Occasionally? Rarely? Never?

Have you bought magazines in the past?

Are there specific situations when you buy a magazine; like when you're going on a flight?

Do you subscribe to any magazines? Have you subscribed to any magazines in the past?

What's your age?
I get several with memberships to things; AARP and HOG for example. Other than that I am subscribed to Living Lutheran, Smoke and Fire News (re-enacting), and Pennsylvania Magazine. In addition there are a couple shooting ones I will sometimes grab at a news-stand if they look interesting.

Go back 10 years and I was subscribed to maybe 12-15 magazines and monthly/weekly delivered-by-mail newspapers and tended to hit the stands more often. I cut back mostly because too many became all ads (like most of the internet has become) and some just priced themselves beyond my value for them.

Situational purchases? Not really. I always have a book handy or at least a couple to-be-reads in the car so the boredom factor of travel or hospitals is covered in advance.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:19 PM

I have a subscription to The Economist. You don't have to be an economist to understand most of it, and I am definitely not an economist. But I feel like economics is a very good lens for consuming current events, and I feel like The Economist is the closest thing out there to a nonbiased news outlet. There's also a ton of subtle humor and warmth woven through it if you're alert. The covers alone are fantastic.

As far as the last magazine I bought off the rack... I think it was Harper's, about 3 years ago. I actually had a subscription and used to enjoy it, but not any more. As a hysterical effete liberal, it's too hysterically liberal and effete even for me.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:23 PM

I'm 57. I subscribe to (and have for decades):

Playboy
Sports Illustrated

And I have the Sunday newspaper delivered.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee View Post
My favourite Xmas present every year is a subscription to Private Eye (British poltical satire magazine) - it's a great antidote to hysterical internet nonsense, so its paper format just helps with that (I'm 42).
I've had a Private Eye sub for a few decades now (gifted, mostly. A fave birthday present!). They do put some stuff online, but it's pretty perfunctory, so the fortnightly delivery is it.

Last edited by Baron Greenback; 11-05-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:09 PM

I have subscribed to Scientific American for about 55 years; it has gone sadly downhill.
To American Scientist for 18 years
To New Yorker since I got married, 55 years
To NY Review of Books for at least 50 years
I used to subscribe to Astounding/Analog but let it lapse maybe 20 years ago when I realized I wasn't reading them (still read a lot of sci-fi books though)
Have subscribed on and off to Consumer Reports
I subscribed to Byte, to Dr. Dobbs, to PC Mag, to Creative Computing, Science 80, all of whom have gone belly up
I cannot recall the last time I bought a magazine over a counter. I'm 82.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:35 PM

Until a couple of years ago, I had a subscription to Entertainment Weekly. I kinda dropped off from it after I was laid off at Blockbuster.

My pastor now brings me new issues of EW and Rolling Stone, which his late son had subscribed to. (His son lived with him until he died.) I don't really read Rolling Stone very much, but I do still enjoy EW.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:24 PM

I am 44 years old. I am currently only subscribed to TV Guide; I must say I really miss its digest format with localized listings.

Most of my favorite magazines have stopped publishing print editions or stopped publishing altogether:

PC World
PC Magazine
Computer Shopper
Wizard: The Guide to Comics
Toyfare
Backwoods Home
George
LIFE
Omni
Weekly World News
(OK technically not a magazine but I sure miss its wackiness)

Other magazines I have subscribed to in the past:

Popular Mechanics, Popular Science(for 25+ years before i stopped around 2005), TIME ,
Newsweek, US News & World Report, National Geographic, Reader's Digest, Taste of Home, Entertainment Weekly, Consumer Reports, Yankee Magazine, New Hampshire .

Also when I was kid my parents got us: Ranger Rick, Highlights. As a kid, I also used to read Pro Wrestling Illustrated, The Wrestler, Inside Wrestling ,MAD, and Cracked regularly but I never had a subscription to any of them.

Last edited by dorvann; 11-05-2019 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
As far as the last magazine I bought off the rack... I think it was Harper's, about 3 years ago. I actually had a subscription and used to enjoy it, but not any more. As a hysterical effete liberal, it's too hysterically liberal and effete even for me.
Maybe it's changed over that time but I'm finding it more and more conservative.

Compare it to New Republic, say, and there won't be a page of overlap in view.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Maybe it's changed over that time but I'm finding it more and more conservative.

Huh. Maybe it was the post-election hysteria. I'll always love the Harper's Index, though.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Funny Times is a fun oddity, a newsprint magazine that reprints cartoons and humorous articles. It's wildly liberal and still has the whiff of hippie sensibility it's had for decades. Find it. Support it. Enjoy it.
I'll have to look this up. Here in Boston we had the Boston Comic News (AKA Editorial Humor) for several years until it died shortly after 2000. I've missed it ever since. Among other things, it's the only venue I'd ever seen that ran Craig Swanson's Perspicuity, a nerdy single-panel comic that came with a lengthy commentary. I bought several T-shirts that had his cartoons on it.

https://www.perspicuity.com/

"My heart skipped a beat when I first saw her descending the staircase in her Slinky dress."
Old 11-06-2019, 08:19 AM

I definitely did as a pre-teen/teenager in the 90s. Examples: Simpsons Illustrated, MAD, at one point I had a subscription for Popular Mechanics...Even a few years ago, I was still buying one magazine called History Revue, which I would read while riding public transportation. I even once sent in a query about an obscure historical point, which they attempted to answer. I stopped buying it when I got a smartphone and got to spend time on the Internet instead. Since then, I have bought said magazine maybe once or twice. From time to time, I am still tempted to buy a magazine, but honestly, now I don't have enough time to read them.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:26 AM

As a youngster I subscribed to a few nature magazines, in my teens none. As a young married adult 1970's and 80's we usually had at least 1,2 dozen magazines coming to the house. From the 1990's to about 2010 I think I had two. Since then I buy an occasional magazine maybe average 1 per year if that.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

I know I've missed quite a few -- I by science fiction magazines (and subscribed to F&SF and Analog). As a Boy Scout I had a subscription to Boy's Life. As a kid I bought (and preserved) several comics.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:29 AM

I'm over 50. In the past I had subscriptions to Pop Science, Sports Illustrated, Playboy (2 years in my 18-22 year old range), Scientific America for about 10 years total, Nat Geo for Kids for our kids.

With memberships I also had Greenpeace, Sierra Club & Chess Federation.

I'm not sure if Baseball Weekly counts as a Mag or a Newspaper. This was pre-internet days; early/mid 90s.

I'm missing a few more I think and have on rare occasions bought issues of the rack. I haven't bought a magazine since 2010 I believe.

There was another Science Mag in the 80s I got for a year or 2, it is defunct and I can't recall its name.

I forgot, I got the White Dwarf for a year in High School & PC Mag for many years.

Last edited by What Exit?; 11-06-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:38 AM

Thanks to Kenobi 65, a few more: Rolling Stone, Omni (the Science one I couldn't recall).

Off the shelf but regularly: The Dragon & Mad, I use to find Mad for a steep discount at a flea market, the issues were typically 2-3 months old.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Also Famous Monsters of Filmland, The Monster Times. I "inherited" a huge stack of old Science Digests from my uncle, and devoured them.

I still get

Technology Review

Physics Today

Photonics Spectra

Biophotonics

Optics and Photonics News

I used to get Optics Letters, but let it lapse.

I used to get The Spectrograph, but it died.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:25 AM

We've gotten some freebie subs in recent years. Wired was just craptastic. New York Magazine was interesting at times, #SAD at times, and worthless at times (too NYC oriented). Has a little too simple crossword. Got Mrs. FtG some subs for food/health mags which she likes, but not enough to pay for.

We had a free sub for Money Magazine and it was ridiculously unhelpful. They should have an issue where Money Saving Tip #1 is don't subscribe to Money Magazine and close down.

There are several ways to get free trial subs. Airline points and all that. One I've used is RewardSurvey. Do a survey, earn points, get a sub. But they have far fewer than they used to and some require a token payment. (Beware auto renewal.) It's good for stuff like People and Variety. Not exactly my cup of tea. Mercury magazines is always running promos.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I donít even know whatís going on with the New Republic these days. I had a class in college where we had to read an article in the New Republic (left) and National Review (right) and write a short essay. I donít think Iíve seen the New Republic anywhere since the Bill Clinton era.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:38 PM

Subscriptions over the years:

The Atlantic
Car Model
Consumer Reports
The Economist
Entertainment Weekly
Hockey Illustrated
Model Car Science
Money
National Geographic
National Lampoon
The New Yorker
Newsweek
Playboy
Popular Science
Premiere
Psychology Today
Readerís Digest
Rolling Stone
Sports Illustrated
Stereo Review
Time
TV Guide
Old 11-06-2019, 10:40 PM

I subscribe to Entertainment Weekly. That's my only magazine. We don't even subscribe to the local paper any more, it's just too expensive.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:21 PM

I found an old email (1998) where I list the magazines I subscribed to at the time:

Utne Reader
Time
US News
Mother Jones
National Review
The Economist
Bon Appetit

And from my employer:

Fortune
CFO

I haven’t subscribed to a magazine in at least ten years, unless you count High Five and Highlights! which I got for the kid.

I got married in 1999 and my wife killed most of the subscriptions and also introduced cable TV into my life. The last to go was The Economist around 2010. But for the last few years I only read that on planes.

If I ever buy a magazine now it’s at the airport, and it was usually The Economist. Last time I saw it was $12 and just walked away.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Do you buy magazines? On a frequent basis? Occasionally? Rarely? Never?
Not currently. Probably never again.

Have you bought magazines in the past?
I used to buy computer magazines, and occasionally entertainment (movie, TV, sci-fi) magazines. Oh, and porn, of course.

Are there specific situations when you buy a magazine; like when you're going on a flight?
No.

Do you subscribe to any magazines? Have you subscribed to any magazines in the past?
The only thing I have ever officially subscribed to was Cinefex magazine, which is sort of different to the kind typically imagined.

What's your age?

Generally any information and entertainment value I got out of a magazine I can get tenfold from the internet now. Also the magazines we got down here in the southern hemisphere needed to be shipped (literally by boat) which means they were months out of date by the time they arrived.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Back in the day I had subscriptions to:

Popular Mechanics
Popular Science
Scientific American
Discover

PM and PS were mere shadows of what they once had been--in college I remember often sitting in the library between classes and flipping through bound archives of PM from the 1950s and earlier--magazines that were hundreds of pages thick with less advertising and lots of real content.

For several years I had a subscription to a super awesome magazine:

Invention & Technology

That magazine was chock full of deep stories on industrial and engineering history, such as the story behind the development and production of the first transistor radio, the first computer mouse, or the story behind the introduction of tetraethyl lead in our cars. The magazine died many years ago, but their archives have been available for free off and on over the years. Look them up, you might enjoy their content.

Finally, a couple of years ago I tried:

The Home Shop Machinist
Machinist's Workshop

I realized that, like woodworking magazines, most articles are "look at this super intense complex project that none of you will ever build" and not enough were "here are some solid techniques to up your game"
Once I found that I can get more from machining videos on YouTube, I let the subscriptions lapse.

Last edited by minor7flat5; 11-07-2019 at 08:11 AM. Reason: ETA: 52 years old
Old 11-07-2019, 01:20 PM

I love magazines. I have a couple of subscriptions to things like, "Health" or some food magazine, but I often buy them at the bookstore or, ideally, check them out at the library. They're usually things like Psychology Today or Scientific American. If I'm traveling I might also grab a copy of Us or People or some other trash celebrity mag that's fun to read.

I can get all the information I find in a magazine online (whether in the e-version of that magazine or just random articles), but I get more engaged when I'm reading a hard copy and I love feeling completely absorbed. It's like reading a book but lower commitment - sorta the difference between a coffee date vs. dinner & a movie. Good god, I'm old.

I'm a 43 year old woman for what it's worth.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:40 PM

Oops - this is why I shouldn't hit refresh.

Last edited by overlyverbose; 11-07-2019 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 11-07-2019, 03:13 PM

I am 58. Growing up, we subscribed to National Geographic, Reader's Digest,Time and /or Newsweek, and TV Guide. Occasionally Life, Smithsonian, etc.

Starting in the mid 1980s, I subscribed to Discover, Natural History, American Heritage, and a few others. I would buy Fortean Times, Femme Fatales, and various sci-fi-oriented magazines like Starlog and Cinefantastique at the local comic book store. And I would often consult the Economist in the library where I worked.

I haven't subscribed to anything since about 2008. I rarely buy magazines nowadays.

I work at an academic / university library (Vanderbilt), so anytime I want, I can peruse mags and journals in the Periodicals Reading Room. Or just look things up online.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:41 PM

Do magazines that are part of a club membership count? I was part of the LEGO Club for a few years as a child.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:12 PM

I still buy magazines for recipes. Also 'Make' and various woodworking magazines for projects and techniques.

No current subscriptions, but I expect that to change when I eventually retire and have more time to spend in the wood shop.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueInfinity View Post
Do magazines that are part of a club membership count? I was part of the LEGO Club for a few years as a child.
I remember wishing that I had a subscription to Dynamite as a kid.
It was a very cool magazine for an 10-year-old, and was a special treat if I stumbled upon a copy among the Highlights magazines at the doctor's office.

They had a club, and I remember this secret challenge/response from them:

Kid 1: "Eat my din"
Kid 2: "Many diet"
Kid 1: "And my tie"
Kid 2: "It may end"

Both: "Dynamite!"

Those strange phrases are all anagrams of the word dynamite.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:47 AM

I continued to maintain a yearly subscription to two snowboarding magazines until they went full digital/social media presence only. To be honest, the last few years they were more 'coffee table' magazines and I didn't spend much time actually reading them. I have never bought a magazine from a newsstand or grocery store.

Recently a friend's daughter was doing a fundraiser for a school trip and as with most of my friends I will usually buy something to help support them. Unfortunately in this situation the only thing was magazine subscriptions. *sigh* I did purchase a subscription to National Geographic. None of the other magazines remotely interested me. So yeah, I guess I buy magazines now... or again. Haha
Old 11-08-2019, 09:42 AM

I'm in my early 50s.

I rarely bought individual issues of magazines, even when I was younger. If I was interested in a magazine, I usually subscribed to it.

The only magazine subscription I still maintain today is Consumer Reports. I did have a subscription to Turner Classic Movies' Now Playing magazine, but they cancelled the print magazine and went all-digital earlier this year. I also get a couple of professional journals as a result of my membership in professional organizations. I'm also a member of AAA, so I get their magazine, which in my neck of the woods is called Crossroads.

In the old days, I subscribed to Newsweek for my current events. I was a subscriber to TV Guide for years (it used to be a jolly useful resource, in the days before on-screen program guides). I also took Writer's Digest, back in the days when I used to kid myself that I would one day be a famous novelist. For awhile, I subscribed to Discover and Omni.

I don't fly very often, but when I do, I don't usually buy magazines for the flight. I will either bring a book, or more often use the Kindle app on my phone.

My wife still subscribes to Vogue, if you would like to count her as well.