Old 10-09-2017, 09:01 AM

Supergirl Season 3

The Girl of Steel returns tonight.

CW Official trailer

Some casting news: Odette Annable joins the cast as
SPOILER:
this season's Big Bad, Reign
Kara's mother Alura will played by (former Lois Lane) Erica Durance, replacing Laura Benanti.

When we last saw Supergirl, she had just defeated evil Queen Rhea and her entire Daxamite army by getting Lena Luthor to release toxic lead fumes into the atmosphere of National City. Unfortunately, the lead was toxic to her boyfriend Mon-el as well, so he also had to evacuate the planet. The last we saw of him, he was flying his little spaceship when it got sucked into a portal or wormhole.

Is Mon-el coming back? Is he going to bring the Legion of Superheroes with him? I'd love to see Saturn Girl walking around National City.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:11 AM
Isaiah 1:15 Screw the NRA.
Charter Member

Just having the Big 3 from LSH would be a kick, and the powers are simple and easy to CGI.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:36 AM

Who would be the Big Three in the Legion? Braniac 5, Saturn Girl, and - I dunno - Lightning Lad?
Old 10-09-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
Who would be the Big Three in the Legion? Braniac 5, Saturn Girl, and - I dunno - Lightning Lad?
Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad and Cosmic Boy.

I read a few weeks ago that someone has been cast as Saturn Girl.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Some casting news: Odette Annable joins the cast
Cool. I liked her in House and especially in The Astronaut Wives Club.

Quote:
Kara's mother Alura will played by (former Lois Lane) Erica Durance, replacing Laura Benanti.
That kinda sucks. I was sorry when they killed off Astra because I like Benanti and playing only the Alura hologram greatly reduced her presence in the show.

Last edited by Tangent; 10-09-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:26 AM

Can someone remind me who does and does not know her secret identity these days?

Alex, Wynne, James, and J'onn know it, presumably along with some number of DEO redshirts.

Maggie? Cat? Lena? President secret-alien? Anyone else?

As usual, I love Melissa Benoist, and wish the everyone in the show wasn't so stupid all the time.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheVool View Post
Can someone remind me who does and does not know her secret identity these days?
Maxwell Lord knows.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:19 AM

S03S01: Girl of Steel

This is getting to be bad pattern on these CW shows. After the first couple of seasons, they change the characterization of the protagonist and the mood of the show changes, not for the better. Here we've got angsty Kara Danvers. Last season on The Flash we had angsty Barry Allen. Season Four of Arrow we saw angstyhappy Oliver Queen. Here's hoping we don't see much of Kara being mopey. Maybe her dream-mother will knock some sense into her.

Adrian Pasdar plays the smarmy CEO/politician/top brass really well. He'll make a good foil for Lena Luthor. When he unveiled his plan for buying CatCo, I knew that Lena was going to buy it herself. (Speaking of Lena, Katie McGrath's accent was all over the place.)

I'm glad they've figured out a way to get Calista Flockhart to make more appearances on the show. Every episode should have some Cat Grant snark.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
This is getting to be bad pattern on these CW shows. After the first couple of seasons, they change the characterization of the protagonist and the mood of the show changes, not for the better. Here we've got angsty Kara Danvers. Last season on The Flash we had angsty Barry Allen. Season Four of Arrow we saw angstyhappy Oliver Queen. Here's hoping we don't see much of Kara being mopey. Maybe her dream-mother will knock some sense into her.
Pretty sure we're done with angsty Kara - although it was dream boyfriend not dream mom. Her showing up at the bar should be her returning to her sunny self.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

After 5 decades as a comic book fan, one might think I'm able to look past these two things, but I still can't:

1. Power level fluctuations - the missile knocked out Supergirl? She can't breathe underwater? She clocked the bad guy hard and didn't turn him to goo?

2. I know physics and engineering only matter when it is important to the plot and are routinely ignored for dramatic effect, but one cannot lift a submarine like that.

Mind you, despite getting my suspension of disbelief constantly broken by superhero books and shows, I keep going back. But it does annoy me.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
After 5 decades as a comic book fan, one might think I'm able to look past these two things, but I still can't:

1. She clocked the bad guy hard and didn't turn him to goo?
The Kryptonians have always had exquisite control over the power of their punches - she punched him just hard enough to send him flying 100 yards (IIRC what her sister said). Now, how he was able to get up from that and run away is a separate question (but is a standard trope/problem in any action movie/series).
Old 10-10-2017, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Oh, I know. But it still bothers me, and has for a very, very long time. Someone strong enough to lift a submarine just has to flick you with her finger, not punch.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Oh, I know. But it still bothers me, and has for a very, very long time. Someone strong enough to lift a submarine just has to flick you with her finger, not punch.
Yeah, but other than last night's show, Kara has always worried about other's feelings. She doesn't want to embarrass the mooks by beating them with one finger or her right thumb, so she pretends she has to work at it.

Last edited by Folacin; 10-10-2017 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
2. I know physics and engineering only matter when it is important to the plot and are routinely ignored for dramatic effect, but one cannot lift a submarine like that.
Where did she put it? And how much money was the bad guy expecting to make from his redevelopment project that he could afford a submarine as part of his plan?
Old 10-10-2017, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

It was only a two-day rental, but the damage fees are going to be killer.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:48 AM

She should have flown the sub and laid it on a beach in North Korea. That would have taken care of those guys.

Nice to have Cat back. Hope the show uses her to take some subtle digs at Kelly Ann Conway.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
She can't breathe underwater?
It was already established back in Season 1 that Supergirl can't breathe in space, so why would being underwater be any different. Agree about the submarine, though.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:56 AM

The computer that Winn uses is getting pretty annoying. Like all television computers, it has no mouse. A series of keystrokes at lightning speed gets you anything you want. And of course it clicks and whirs when it displays your information.

I thought it was kind of hokey that the team instantly recognizes parts for a cloaking device. What did they do in their previous jobs, work in a cloaking device shipping center?
Old 10-11-2017, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It was already established back in Season 1 that Supergirl can't breathe in space, so why would being underwater be any different. Agree about the submarine, though.
I'll give you the breathing. I barely remember these episodes a couple of days later. Even then, I'd expect her to be able to hold her breath for a significant period of time.

I would love to see someone say something like Reed Richards said about Gladiator when ridiculous feats of strength are performed.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:02 PM

Lena just told *Kara* that she thinks Kara's issues are about Mon-El. Anyone else catch that? Probably just a slip in the writer's room, but still, as much as they played up the Cat Grant "does she know or doesn't she" ambiguity...
Old 10-16-2017, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

So does Sam have superpowers or not (or are they Hulk like triggered)

SPOILER:
Are we sure she is the big bad? If so, something must trigger her because right now she seems unveil. Is Reign a comic book character?

Brian
Old 10-16-2017, 09:17 PM

Has anything happened recently that might be responsible for Ruby "acting out"? How about nearly being killed at the waterfront? I like a story where things that happen to people are expected to have an effect on them, and do have an effect (even if it's not the effect that expected).
Old 10-16-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatin View Post
Lena just told *Kara* that she thinks Kara's issues are about Mon-El. Anyone else catch that? Probably just a slip in the writer's room, but still, as much as they played up the Cat Grant "does she know or doesn't she" ambiguity...
I wondered about that as well -
Old 10-16-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
I wondered about that as well -
I was watching with my ten-year-old daughter, who said "Wait, what?"
Old 10-17-2017, 04:15 AM

Mon-el was Kara's boyfriend when they interacted with Lena. Go watch the last few episodes of last season, and you'll see that Mon-el was always careful not to be too affectionate when Supergirl and Lena were together.

I like the new villain Psi. It's always better if Supergirl can't just punch them into submission. Played into Supergirls fears, plus they kept up the connection with Mon-el. They didn't address the reason why a powerful psionic (more powerful than J'onn) would need to rob banks. What's she doing with all that money? Is she building a secret villain base somewhere? I hope we see her again. Maybe when Saturn Girl finally arrives.

The End-of-Krypton sequence was great stuff. We've never seen the planet explode from inside the capsule before. Kudos to the effects team.

Question: Reign was born on Krypton and should have the same powers as Kara and Clark. Her kid is half-Kryptonian. Wouldn't she have some powers as well?
Old 10-17-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
They didn't address the reason why a powerful psionic (more powerful than J'onn) would need to rob banks. What's she doing with all that money? Is she building a secret villain base somewhere? I hope we see her again. Maybe when Saturn Girl finally arrives.
That was my initial thought - why does a psionic need money? But her power is limited to making people afraid, so I figure there are things that she wants that she can't get with fear (for example, you can't scare a surgeon into performing surgery on your sick sister - but you can pay him). Agree that it would have been nice if the show had clarified her motivation.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:18 AM

I know that it's not really the point, but... I wish they'd even _pretend_ to be smart about how Kara uses her powers. "Remember, if she uses her psychic powers, you might not be able to resist, so fly in and knock her unconscious as fast as you can", and then Kara tries to do that, but Psi reacts to quickly, or something, rather than little bits of pointless monologuing. I mean, come on...

Also, isn't someone going to notice a big supergirl-shaped-hole in the ceiling of the elevator?
Old 10-17-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
But her power is limited to making people afraid, so I figure there are things that she wants that she can't get with fear (for example, you can't scare a surgeon into performing surgery on your sick sister - but you can pay him).
Instead of a surgeon, I'm thinking she'd need a stylist to be calm while she worked on Psi's hair.

In the comics, Psi was on Suicide Squad for one issue, was killed, and as she was dying she remembered who she was and revealed someone was controlling her...of course she passed away before she could say who. If they ever said who, I didn't see that issue. Wonder if they'll explore that. Psi is a good villain. I agree that Supergirl should've used her speed to knock Psi out.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendarii Dame View Post
Instead of a surgeon, I'm thinking she'd need a stylist to be calm while she worked on Psi's hair.

In the comics, Psi was on Suicide Squad for one issue, was killed, and as she was dying she remembered who she was and revealed someone was controlling her...of course she passed away before she could say who. If they ever said who, I didn't see that issue. Wonder if they'll explore that. Psi is a good villain. I agree that Supergirl should've used her speed to knock Psi out.
Psi made a point of saying "Trying to sneak up on a psychic?" with Supergirl responding "yeah".

So, apparently Supergirl isn't fast enough to sneak up on her.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:54 AM

Supergirl didn't seem to be going at super speed.

Anyway, another point is, where did Psi get her metahuman powers?
Old 10-23-2017, 07:39 AM

I thought the Lena story was a little over the top. Surely she had a lot to do before she bought Katco, now all of a sudden it has her full time attention? And why ask a reporter to call a bank for you? There aren't any administrative assistants that could handle the job?

I thought Ruby's mom was going to bend that crowbar. I bet she develops super strength at some point.

Seems to me that Psi already had all the money she could ever need. I don't get her motivation for committing more crimes.

Hey Kara- how about when you get a text at work, you try calling back to see what's up? And why do you wear the Supergirl top under your clothes when to complete the change you still have to get into your tights and boots? Where do you keep them?
Old 10-23-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I thought the Lena story was a little over the top. Surely she had a lot to do before she bought Katco, now all of a sudden it has her full time attention? And why ask a reporter to call a bank for you? There aren't any administrative assistants that could handle the job?

I thought Ruby's mom was going to bend that crowbar. I bet she develops super strength at some point.

Seems to me that Psi already had all the money she could ever need. I don't get her motivation for committing more crimes.

Hey Kara- how about when you get a text at work, you try calling back to see what's up? And why do you wear the Supergirl top under your clothes when to complete the change you still have to get into your tights and boots? Where do you keep them?
The same place where her cousin keeps his.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:

I haven't watched Supergirl since it moved to the CW, but happened to catch this one and it wasn't all that good. It seemed crazy that a CEO would hire someone to run HER company, while she moved to take over a business she admittedly knew nothing about. Pretty ham-handed way to wedge the character into more scenes. And the conflict it sets up with Jimmy was needless.

I also couldn't understand why Psi was robbing banks every few minutes. She didn't have time to even count her previous take, much less spend it. No character development at all for the villain.

My thought was that Ruby herself is somehow the superhero, and somehow made the scaffold pinning her lighter so her mom could lift it.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:11 PM

Except for the crappy “relevant “part where dad is a bigot because um… Donald Trump (~15 years ago when he abandoned her?) this was one of the best Supergirls ever. I would love it if her dad did not repent and realize the error of his ways – which will inevitably happen.

Seriously I think the wall idea sucks, can’t stand Donald Trump, but that one bit of rationalization/dialogue just blew chunks as “relevancy” always does in comics. I would’ve loved it if Maggie had called her dad out as a prejudiced dick and said don’t blame anyone else, this is on you.

But outside of that one jarringly clunky moment, the episode was great and I want to see much more of John’s dad. Perhaps he can punch Maggie’s dad in the head

Last edited by Fenris; 10-23-2017 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:23 PM

J'onn's "car" was like something out of Men In Black. Totally cool. And I laughed out loud at Kara's line, "I think I made a wrong turn at Albuquerque." Good to see J'onn and all the other Martians. I hope they didn't blow their entire makeup budget for the season.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:51 PM

I was surprised J'onn's father came back to Earth with him. Presumably he'll work at the DEO, unless he gets a job as a bartender at that bar where M'gann and Mon El worked.

And people will be looking for the Staff, I'm sure.

Last edited by Dendarii Dame; 10-24-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:21 PM

Ugh. The Alex/Maggie relationship drama really bogs down this show. The Martian stuff was okay, but kinda hokey. I know they're building up to a 'big bad' villain for Supergirl this season. I hope next week's show advances that.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:09 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Anyone else surprised when Supergirl straight up murders a bunch of martians?

Kal should have a talk with her about the sanctity of life. Kryptonians that casually kill is a bad, bad thing. Too much power without restraint.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Yeah, I was startled by that.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:55 PM

I miss the original triumphant Supergirl theme. When is Kara going to pull out of her funk so we can hear it again?
Old 10-25-2017, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
On the one hand, it doesn't make any sense for Lena to be that hands on. On the other, Kara is horrible at her job and every time they mention it in show, it makes me happy (of course, it will be consequence free. But at least someone is mentioning it.)
Old 10-25-2017, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Kal should have a talk with her about the sanctity of life. Kryptonians that casually kill is a bad, bad thing. Too much power without restraint.
Worse, I remember from the old DC comics I read (published before Crisis on Infinite Earths) that Kryptonians have a "code against killing" in any form.

They may have loosened this post-Crisis when they rebooted the franchise, but really, Kara Zor-El just vaporized 4 sentient White Martians. She should have been a quivering puddle of "what have I done?!" the moment that first Martian disintegrated.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
Worse, I remember from the old DC comics I read (published before Crisis on Infinite Earths) that Kryptonians have a "code against killing" in any form.

They may have loosened this post-Crisis when they rebooted the franchise, but really, Kara Zor-El just vaporized 4 sentient White Martians. She should have been a quivering puddle of "what have I done?!" the moment that first Martian disintegrated.
In a matter of seconds, she had killed more sentients than she has killed in her entire life so far, I think.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:51 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

So it's not just me, then. It was a real discordant note.

One of the things I've always liked about Superman is his determination that the number of people that have to be saved is 'everyone'. He might fail, but that's the goal and he won't ever add to the body count.

This is, of course, in contrast to Batman's, 'Leaving the world no poor, four men die.' philosophy.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:

Two quibbles:

1) Self-defense and/or genocide prevention, not murder as such.

2) Supergirl, even in the comics never had as strict of a code against killing as Superman. Hell, her dying act on Earth 1 was trying to kill the Anti-Monitor. (And I think she voted to acquit Star Boy in an old issue of Adventure when Star Boy killed someone)

That said, yeah, the scene was jarring.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Finally caught up. In things that may only interest me, Carl Lumbly, who played the Martian Manhunter's father, was the voice on the Martian Manhunter on the Justice League / Justice League Unlimited animated series. Typecasting?
Old 10-30-2017, 02:03 PM

Thank you! The whole time I was watching this episode the back of my mind was going "doesn't his voice sound familiar?"
Old 10-30-2017, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Finally caught up. In things that may only interest me, Carl Lumbly, who played the Martian Manhunter's father, was the voice on the Martian Manhunter on the Justice League / Justice League Unlimited animated series. Typecasting?
It falls in line with their parent-casting policy.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinth View Post
It falls in line with their parent-casting policy.
Yup. Like John Wesley Shipp, who played Barry Allen on the original Flash series, plays Jay Garrick, the doppelganger of Henry Allen, Barry's father in the current series, and Helen Slater, who played Supergirl in the theatrical movie, plays Kara's adoptive mother on the TV series.

Last edited by cochrane; 10-30-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:12 PM

Tonight's Supergirl was very well done, treating an aspect of superheroes that ought to come up more often. I hope we see Coville again.

Last edited by Andy L; 10-30-2017 at 09:13 PM.