Old 03-09-2018, 01:15 PM

I'm Seeing Buckethead in Concert and I Have No One Else to Tell

This is about as Mundane and Pointless as you're going to see in Cafe Society, but I have no one IRL who probably even knows who Buckethead is, much less will care I'm seeing him.

Way back in 7th/8th grade I remember seeing this crazy-ass music video (!!) on The Box Network (!!!) about some crazy guitarist dude. It was this song right here (which also coincidentally explains who the dude is).

Shortly thereafter I was in Chicago on a trip and saw the album that contained this weird song and thought "I'm going to buy it because it's hilarious!" I played the first song (this one) and it was wildly different and so much cooler than the weird one that I knew this album was a keeper.

Ever since then I've always secretly hoped I could see him live and this coming May I'll be able to at the House of Blues here in Orlando. I think this show is going to be awesome and I needed to tell SOMEONE how excited I am. I mean, he has to be one of the top 10 guitarists working right?

Thanks for indulging me!

Last edited by Sir T-Cups; 03-09-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:20 PM

Buckethead totally fucking rocks!

He’s one of my favorites. I’m totally jealous. Have a good time!

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 03-09-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:30 PM

I know who Buckethead is and I'm jealous, too! Here's my favorite video - an oldie but a goodie.

Last edited by CheshireKat; 03-09-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:25 PM

Let's hope he keeps the facial contortions to a minimum.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

He’s a beast.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:15 PM

he put out 118 albums in 2015. I guess he's not too selective in what he releases.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
He’s a beast.
One of my favorite things about him is that he's another person who is exactly who he always wanted to be.

Fortunately for us, who he always wanted to be is the most kick-ass guitar player around.

Quote:
The Buckethead persona came to be when Carroll saw the 1988 horror movie Halloween 4 and was inspired by the film. He went right out after seeing it and bought a Michael Myers-like white mask. The bucket idea came later that night while eating Kentucky Fried Chicken:

I was eating it, and I put the mask on and then the bucket on my head. I went to the mirror. I just said, 'Buckethead. That's Buckethead right there.' It was just one of those things. After that, I wanted to be that thing all the time.

— Buckethead, 1996, Guitar Player Magazine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckethead

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 03-09-2018 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
he put out 118 albums in 2015. I guess he's not too selective in what he releases.
Has anyone listened to all of his album releases? Certainly some of them are just generic jam sessions. Right?
Old 03-09-2018, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Has anyone listened to all of his album releases? Certainly some of them are just generic jam sessions. Right?
I have no idea, but I just went into Youtube and typed "buckethead pike" followed by a number from 1 to 274 and just randomly went through the songs and everything I've heard sound pretty well produced and at least somewhat interesting, not just a generic let's jam out to three chords or anything like that. (A "pike" appears to be one of these multitudes of solo Buckethead albums, all around 30 minutes each.) Seriously, just go into Youtube and try it. I just tried "buckethead pike 64" and man, that opening track is on fire!
Old 03-09-2018, 10:29 PM

Love Buckethead. Well, except when he starts doing the robot thing or too much of the "space/electronics" sounds, but heck, the guy has such a wide range of styles, there's bound to be some things I don't like.

"Project Little Man" is one of my favorite pikes (Pike 104) - check it out. 18 minutes of crazy, exhausting playing.
"Dew Drops" is great too (Pike 86, track 3)

Amazing talent.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:05 PM
Charter Member

I'm just randomly poking around, but I just happened upon Mt. Shasta from Pike 218, and that's a pretty sweet tune. I only peripherally know of this guy. How the hell does he do this?
Old 03-10-2018, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I only peripherally know of this guy. How the hell does he do this?
Quite simply, he is one of the best, if not the best guitar players of all time. It's nearly impossible to overstate his mastery of the instrument.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 03-10-2018 at 12:56 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Quite simply, he is one of the best, if not the best guitar players of all time. It's nearly impossible to overstate his mastery of the instrument.
So why the schtick?
Old 03-10-2018, 05:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
So why the schtick?
Yep. He’s really amazing, but a master gunslinger like him needs to be a Guitar Ambassador, like Val, Satriani, Guthrie Govan, the G3 guys, etc. Hard to do as Buckethead.

But yeah, his sheer talent and productivity transcend that limitation a bit.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:41 AM
Charter Member

So, not Lord Buckethead of British electoral fame.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:54 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

He had some recent health problems. Good to see he’s feeling better and can perform live.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Yep. He’s really amazing, but a master gunslinger like him needs to be a Guitar Ambassador, like Val, Satriani, Guthrie Govan, the G3 guys, etc. Hard to do as Buckethead.

But yeah, his sheer talent and productivity transcend that limitation a bit.
I’m not sure what you mean by “guitar ambassador”.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
So why the schtick?
See post #7.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I’m not sure what you mean by “guitar ambassador”.
I kinda don’t, either, but I know one when I see one. Players who make money running clinics and kinda sell the guitar in all channels. Tommy Emmanuel, those guys I mentioned upthread.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
I'm not the only disappointed one then
Old 03-10-2018, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

I actually thought he was shy or had stage-fright as well. Does he not?

There are pictures of him without the costume, right? I don't' see many now, but I swear I've seen him before. Just a normal enough looking guy.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Oh, and if anyone is interested, here is a recent interview where he was just himself and talked pretty openly about stuff.

I hope his health is OK.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:46 PM

Wow, this thread really took off while I was looking the other way, huh?

I knew he put out a shit-ton of albums in the last few years, but I never knew where to access them, this pikes thing is going to help a lot. Thanks a lot for that podcast! I had no idea his health was in jeopardy and now I'm even MORE blessed/excited to see him because of it.

The pod gave me a website that also showed me his entire tour, and we're the last show. Hopefully someone puts his setlist online so I can make sure I know what to listen to.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
I kinda don’t, either, but I know one when I see one. Players who make money running clinics and kinda sell the guitar in all channels. Tommy Emmanuel, those guys I mentioned upthread.
Ah yeah; AFAICT Buckethead just isn't that kinda guy. Allan Holdsworth wasn't either, FWIW.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 03-10-2018 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
See post #7.
Didn't really answer the question. If he's so good, and the general vibe is that he is, why the gimmick?

Steve Howe doesn't wear a KFC bucket on his head.

Damn. Now I want some KFC......

Old 03-10-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Didn't really answer the question. If he's so good, and the general vibe is that he is, why the gimmick?

Steve Howe doesn't wear a KFC bucket on his head.

Damn. Now I want some KFC......

He likes "the gimmick". He likes being a faceless guitar playing robot. He never wanted to be a spandex-wearing groupie-getting rock-and-roll guitar hero; he just wanted to be the guy behind the mask wearing the bucket on his head and playing guitar.

He says that in the quote in post #7, btw.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 03-10-2018 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ah yeah; AFAICT Buckethead just isn't that kinda guy. Allan Holdsworth wasn't either, FWIW.
Yes, exactly.

Gato, I know *nothing* about BH, but some folks really need to disappear to perform. Some musicians need to wear jeans and a t shirt, and some need a serial killer mask and a fast food container. A performer’s relationship with the audience is a weird, volatile thing. I have always assumed he was somewhat Asperger-y, but I have no basis for that.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Yes, exactly.

Gato, I know *nothing* about BH, but some folks really need to disappear to perform. Some musicians need to wear jeans and a t shirt, and some need a serial killer mask and a fast food container. A performer’s relationship with the audience is a weird, volatile thing. I have always assumed he was somewhat Asperger-y, but I have no basis for that.
It could also be he just wants to live a regular life offstage. He could be the guy in the next cubicle, or the person in front of you at the grocery store. At any rate, a rare talent.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthx View Post
It could also be he just wants to live a regular life offstage. He could be the guy in the next cubicle, or the person in front of you at the grocery store. At any rate, a rare talent.
That’s possible, too, sure. Works for Deadmau5.

You’re in Sacramento? Keep an eye out for the Neon Playboys, a cover band that plays in the area. Really good. Old friends in the band.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah, and some people just like being theatrical and having a schtick and signature look. The kids call it "branding" these days. I mean, hell, look at Bootsy Collins with his trademark star glasses or Slash with his top hat. Maybe not as extreme as always going out with a fried chicken bucket on your head and face mask, but if you've got a signature look that works and you like, why not? It also adds to the whole mythos of the character. Here's this seemingly crazy dude who cranks out album after album at home of original music with wonderful guitarwork and impeccable production who also only performs on stage dressed up fully in his "Buckethead" persona. How can you not like that and not have that make you more curious about who in the hell this guy is.

Last edited by pulykamell; 03-11-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:34 AM

Yeah I was surprised to think Lord Buckethead was a musician.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Yes, exactly.

He certainly sounded it based on the podcast. Softspoken and his mind was kind of everywhere. Wiki says he was introverted as a kid and spend time with comics and went to Disneyland a lot, so you're probably not far off.

Quote:
The podcaster asked him what it's like to be famous and BH's response was "well because of the mask I'm not really recognized in the streets so..."
Old 03-11-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Oh, and if anyone is interested, here is a recent interview where he was just himself and talked pretty openly about stuff.

I hope his health is OK.
Because of course the freakishly talented guitarist has heart arrhythmia...
Old 03-11-2018, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Does he have Marfan syndrome, by any chance? He reminds me of a friend of mind who has Marfan, in terms of height, general body type, hands, and even down to the heart problems.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:46 PM

Congrats.

There is a song he does that I like but I can't find. Since they have no lyrics I can't google it.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Does he have Marfan syndrome, by any chance? He reminds me of a friend of mind who has Marfan, in terms of height, general body type, hands, and even down to the heart problems.
If you Google Buckethead Unmasked there are pics, and yes, one could argue that he bears the bone structure of a person with Marfan's, IMHO (not a Doc; no clue IRL)
Old 03-13-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
Congrats.

There is a song he does that I like but I can't find. Since they have no lyrics I can't google it.
Boom. Found it. Binge and grab
Old 03-13-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
It all makes sense now! He actually manages a KFC somewhere. That is where he gets his buckets. Because NO ONE would put a used one on his head!
Old 03-14-2018, 01:29 AM

That's cool that you get to see him, he's a shredding machine.

One of the funnier things I think of when I think of Buckethead is when Ozzy Osbourne interviewed him to play in his band:

Ozzy Osbourne: "I tried out that Buckethead guy. I met with him and asked him to work with me but only if he got rid of the fucking bucket. So I came back a bit later and he's wearing this green fucking Martian's-hat thing. I said, 'Look, just be yourself!' He told me his name was Brian, so I said that's what I'd call him. He says, 'No one calls me Brian except my mother.' So I said, 'Pretend I'm your mum then!' I haven't even got out of the room and I'm already playing fucking mind games with the guy. What happens if one day he's gone and there's a note saying, 'I've been beamed up?' [Laughs] Don't get me wrong, he's a great player. He plays like a motherfucker!"
Old 04-07-2018, 09:10 PM

I'll be seeing Buckethead June 14th at Vinyl at the Hard Rock!

I'm no longer jealous of the OP, too!

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 04-07-2018 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup Smith View Post
Yeah I was surprised to think Lord Buckethead was a musician.
Me too.

For those who don't know what we're talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eQ0s4SBefU

But thanks to the OP for introducing me to the American, hillbilly funk Buckethead. I youtubed a few songs and liked most of them.

Have a great time!
Old 04-14-2018, 02:32 PM

Here's an example just how much Buckethead totally fucking rocks.

SPOILER:
For those that hate clicking links blindly: Oscar Lopez is a guy who's been posting videos of himself playing covers of Buckethead songs on Youtube for almost a decade now. He's originally from Mexico City but has been living in Montreal since 2013. He's very, very fucking good. The video is him performing during Buckethead's encore last week in Vermont. Apparently Buckethead saw him in the crowd, recognized him and had someone go ask him if he'd get on stage. He plays a song called Soothsayer and he fucking nails it, while Buckethead works his pedals and stands nearby. The crowd goes suitably nuts, of course.

His friends started filming as he was being asked to get onstage.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

That’s very cool.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I'll be seeing Buckethead June 14th at Vinyl at the Hard Rock!

I'm no longer jealous of the OP, too!
Don't look online cuz you might see spoilers.

Spoiler Alert: He's still awesome

I'm only about a month away!!
Old 04-16-2018, 10:03 PM

I saw him when he did a tour with Les Claypool. One of the best shows ever.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:12 AM

Saw him twice, like at least 10 years ago.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:29 PM

And for even more awesome weirdness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIQSmYeYpS4

Buckethead and That 1 Guy, The Frankenstein Brothers
Old 04-23-2018, 04:47 PM

This video is better than the above

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjKUuz_6kQk
Old 05-21-2018, 08:20 AM

Bumping my own thread because the show was last night and it was everything I dreamed of.

All-in-all he probably played for about 2 and a half hours and he was as insanely fast in hour two as he was at the beginning of the show. There were multiple times when Mrs. Cups tapped me on the shoulder and just said "wow!", that made it pretty worth it right there.

He didn't do too many weird things. He had his toy/nunchuck time and had a blow-up doll kinda thing that he superkicked and eventually threw into the crowd, but that was about it.

I figured with his love of Disney and the fact he was here we would get a Disney tune or two and we were not disappointed. He did basically every ride that has a signature tune to it. He did Small World, Grim Grinning Ghosts (from Haunted Mansion), When You Wish Upon a Star and the theme from Pirates. He also audio sampled the Riverboat, ORIGINAL Pirates (no Barbossa) and the train. Pretty funny.

Given his age and his medical condition, I feel super privileged that I was able to see him because I don't know how much longer he can keep this up.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:38 AM

The googletubes are getting creepy. Been listening to Dollyrots all morning on youtube and the shuffle just rotated in the Albino Slug album while I was reading this thread. Sounds good so far.