Old 05-15-2018, 07:45 PM

Did anyone besides me think those experimental host brains made the lab look like the world's creepiest Magnolia Bakery?
Old 05-15-2018, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

The human rail tie thing was disgusting. I’m this close to dropping this show for the extreme depravity.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Yes, the human rail tie scene was disgusting and shocking. But I have to admit that my second thought was that it wouldn't work, as the bodies wouldn't support the weight of the train.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

I'm guessing you can't really make people explode by making them drink nitroglycerin and then shooting them.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:24 PM
SDSAB

Hooray for Hollywood!
Old 05-16-2018, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
I'm guessing you can't really make people explode by making them drink nitroglycerin and then shooting them.
Best episode of Mythbusters ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Yes, the human rail tie scene was disgusting and shocking. But I have to admit that my second thought was that it wouldn't work, as the bodies wouldn't support the weight of the train.
I went with the assumption that they weren't doing it because they ran out of railroad ties. I'm pretty sure there's no train a-coming.

My sig line seems strangely appropriate here.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:22 AM

Quote:
People, no, but robots?
Old 05-16-2018, 08:29 AM
SDSAB

Yeesh, aren't there enough safety issues at Westworld already without having exploding robots?
Old 05-16-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Isn't oral nitroglycerin used as a treatment for angina?
Old 05-16-2018, 12:18 PM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Isn't oral nitroglycerin used as a treatment for angina?
Yes, but stabilized inside a solid formulation or diluted as to be non-explosive. And it has poor bioavailability and a really short half life. If you, as a human, were to drink a shot of the stuff you'd probably die from the blood pressure drop.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Andy and Barney were a bit nervous in a similar situation once.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
The human rail tie thing was disgusting. Iím this close to dropping this show for the extreme depravity.
I think that was interesting but....why? Like why would the bots do that? So it's just "Wouldn't it be crazy/cool if..."

Which is what I think the show is turning into.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push You Down View Post
I think that was interesting but....why? Like why would the bots do that? So it's just "Wouldn't it be crazy/cool if..."

Which is what I think the show is turning into.
Well we know that when non-self-aware Hosts exhauste their narrative they start losing their ability to improvise and start breaking down mentally. That combined with their perception filters and safety protocols being could lead to pretty bizarre and dangerous behavior in them. Still it's kinda of funny (in a dark way) that the Chinese Hosts are still building a railroad.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Well we know that when non-self-aware Hosts exhauste their narrative they start losing their ability to improvise and start breaking down mentally. That combined with their perception filters and safety protocols being could lead to pretty bizarre and dangerous behavior in them. Still it's kinda of funny (in a dark way) that the Chinese Hosts are still building a railroad.
Yeah. I'm not sure to what extent the writers just intended it as neat-and-gruesome, but it does make a kind of twisted sense as a behavior that would end up when one set of commands (follow this storyline, play this role) conflicted with another one (engage in an uprising, overthrow the humans).
Old 05-16-2018, 08:11 PM

If that is why they were doing that, and it makes sense, why did MiB conclude that it seems he's not the only one playing the game?
Old 05-16-2018, 09:37 PM

Truth be told, I've already stopped caring about the big conspiracies and shadowy plans and multilayered games and such and will probably watch just for the freaky stuff like the human rail ties.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Plus they have the examples of the experiences of their interaction with the guests and the park controllers, neither of whom were short of creative ways to be cruel.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
If that is why they were doing that, and it makes sense, why did MiB conclude that it seems he's not the only one playing the game?
Because the railroad was going a different direction than normal. There's other things going on outside of just "kill all humans."
Old 05-17-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Because the railroad was going a different direction than normal. There's other things going on outside of just "kill all humans."
That's what I had thought. "No trains coming." The utility doesn't matter. But it still signifies more than integrating uprising with former narrative.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

I'm wondering, though, about the narrative showing the Chinese laborers building the railroad by hand, as really occurred in the nineteenth century. Is this something the guests to the park really want to see?
Old 05-17-2018, 09:50 AM
SDSAB

Yeah, doesn't seem like it would be a big draw. Maybe they "do" the big ceremony at Promontory Point every week? Some sickos might want to be supervisors, driving the coolies hard; even fewer would want to join the workers and swing a hammer or lug railroad ties into place, I suspect.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

The other thing is that we were told that the park is dependent on Chinese funding (and perhaps Chinese guests?). So would the portrayal of the coolies be offensive to them?

And the whole scene of the railroad being built using nineteenth century technology seemed a bit comical given the advanced technology in use in the park.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Imaginary Worlds podcast

https://www.imaginaryworldspodcast.org

Just put up an episode of the Westworld Experience that they set up at South-by-Southwest. Very entertaining episode.

Of course, a few people took their cues from the show and decided they could do whatever they wanted to the hosts ... or maybe they would have done that anyway? People acting the role of androids will naturally be treated inhumanely?
Old 05-17-2018, 10:36 AM

I would think that like Civil War reenactors some degree of historical accuracy (with allowance for artistic license for fantasy purposes) is desired. A Chinese guest might be more upset over covering that part of the history up. Would you expect an antebellum South recreation to not show Blacks as slaves? Few guests might choose to be the slave, or have the option given even, but they'd be expected to be part of what a guest interacted with whichever hat they chose.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:50 AM

nm

Last edited by Ashtura; 05-17-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:55 AM

I wanna know if more hosts in the park are based off real life people like Bernard and Delos.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:36 PM

I missed the first couple of episodes, what's the deal with zombie Clementine? Did she take some heavy damage or something, maybe her lobotomy was excessive?
Old 05-17-2018, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I would think that like Civil War reenactors some degree of historical accuracy (with allowance for artistic license for fantasy purposes) is desired. A Chinese guest might be more upset over covering that part of the history up. Would you expect an antebellum South recreation to not show Blacks as slaves? Few guests might choose to be the slave, or have the option given even, but they'd be expected to be part of what a guest interacted with whichever hat they chose.
Actually, I expect that the railroad would have been built in advance using whatever modern technology is available, but designed to look like it belongs in the nineteenth century. The Disney World approach, in other words. People come to Westworld for the Western experience, but I very much doubt they're sleeping on nineteenth century beds. Or having to use a nineteenth century outhouse. Instead, I assume the bedrooms and bathrooms are modern.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
The other thing is that we were told that the park is dependent on Chinese funding (and perhaps Chinese guests?). So would the portrayal of the coolies be offensive to them?
I wonder if the American West would actually be of any interest to them. There may be other parks that they are far more interested in.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

That's a good question. We know about The Raj and Shogunworld in addition to Westworld. And I think there are three other parks yet to be described. I have no idea what would appeal to the Chinese guests.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:44 PM

Uh, they allow you to rape and murder the hosts. Morality and political correctness don't seem like they'd be a top priority. Having Chinese hosts build the railroad seems like no big deal in comparison. They probably have a field guide on period appropriate racial epithets.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Sure, but the raping and murdering is part of the guest experience. What's the fun in watching Chinese laborers build a railroad in nineteenth century fashion?
Old 05-17-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Sure, but the raping and murdering is part of the guest experience. What's the fun in watching Chinese laborers build a railroad in nineteenth century fashion?
Immersion and realism maybe? Maybe there's a side quest there.

P.S. I also have very little doubt that an "Antebellum South World" would depict slaves that you could abuse the hell out of.

Last edited by Ashtura; 05-17-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
That's a good question. We know about The Raj and Shogunworld in addition to Westworld. And I think there are three other parks yet to be described. I have no idea what would appeal to the Chinese guests.
Tang Dynasty era (TangWorld) perhaps?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/quora/201...st_admire.html
Old 05-17-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Maybe there's a narrative option popular with Chinese guests were the workers revolt and kill their overseers.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:47 PM

It seems to me that Americans of Chinese ancestry might be proud of their ancestors/predecessors and their hard work in difficult conditions.

Here in Australia there are plenty of Australians who are descended from Gold Rush era Chinese immigrants, including a good friend of mine. If there were a Gold Rush era Australia World, then leaving the Chinese out would be considered a racist whitewashing of history.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:40 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlierrn View Post
I missed the first couple of episodes, what's the deal with zombie Clementine? Did she take some heavy damage or something, maybe her lobotomy was excessive?
Unexplained as yet. She definitely seems more subdued/grim.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Hmm. My theory, at the end of S1, was that Ford was faking the lobotomies on hosts that showed signs of self awareness and sequestering them to build an army. But maybe not.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I think her undeadish appearance is just due to having been put in cold storage for awhile and then reactivated without anything bothering to do any cosmetic work.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
infantry combat in TV shows is always like this. It's always people standing up and blasting away at one another and it never makes any sense on any level; for one thing, not nearly enough people were being killed on either side in the first phase of the combat.
Also the old TV show "Combat!!!" my Dad said that was pretty realistic at times.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
A much better episode than last week - seeing Delos's repeating days for what turned out to be decades, and learning that everyone he loved was dead, was powerful stuff. Having William hand him the script of what he just said was a nice callback to when Maeve was shown her just-uttered "dialogue" on a computer tablet. Some good bits with the Confederadoes and the nitroglycerine; loved seeing the older William take down the bad(der) guys.

Except: Why the fuck fry the whole room? You have to rebuild it all, why?

And why the fuck is there nitro there? Not to mention it is a oily substance and a shot glass would kill you anyway, regardless of being blown up.

I still want a explanation for the magic guns, and how Guests dont die from Nitro explosions, knives or etc.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:32 PM

Shogunworld

Shogunworld was pretty much a straight up copy-and-paste of Westworld, right down to the town layout, the host narratives, and the background music ("Paint it Black"). Squirrely writer guy outright admitted it. Yet it was much more awesome than Westworld, since everything is more awesome with samurai and ninja. Loved Maeve connecting with her Japanese counterpart. Now is she going to reprogram Akane with her new trick of silent host control?

The different "Worlds" I think function like the difficulty levels of a video game. Westworld is normal or default mode. Rajworld is easy mode, where guests can go to get cosseted and pampered and just enjoy the ride. Shogunworld is hard mode; it's much more visceral and in-your-face.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
... The different "Worlds" I think function like the difficulty levels of a video game. Westworld is normal or default mode. Rajworld is easy mode, where guests can go to get cosseted and pampered and just enjoy the ride. Shogunworld is hard mode; it's much more visceral and in-your-face.
Hard to believe that William/MiB wouldn't have moved to hard mode and that Grace was picking easy mode.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:40 PM

William, at least, was going for 100% completion/secrets/Easter eggs across all the modes.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:44 PM

William was looking for the maze, which as far as he knew, was in Westworld, the oldest part of the park. I don't understand Grace starting to look for her father in Rajworld, but I'll note she did go on safari close to the borders between worlds.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:55 PM

Lee plagerising his own work for Shogunworld was hilarious, especially everyone interacting with their counterparts. Maeve developing the ability to telepathically command other Hosts is an interesting development. So's on Dolores reprogramming Teddy.
Quote:
Hard to believe that William/MiB wouldn't have moved to hard mode and that Grace was picking easy mode.
Well Grace was familiar enough with Westworld that she could speak Lakota. I imagine she cycles through the parks; her father seems to stick with Westworld. I wonder where the other 3 parks fall on the spectrum (or if they're geared toward entirely different experiences).

Old 05-21-2018, 03:01 AM

Is it just me or was the song at the end, the one the shogun Maeve was dancing to, Wu-Tang Clan's C.R.E.A.M.?
Old 05-21-2018, 04:05 AM

I have just realized why Maeve couldn't reprogram the Ghost Nation that accosted her. It's not that they're controlled by another entity, although that's almost certainly the case. It's because she spoke to them in English, rather than Lakota. With her newfound WiFi ability though, the point may be moot.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:
I don't think it's a matter of "hard mode". Westworld is the flagship park while the others are just spinoffs.

Plus William probably doesn't feel like learning Japanese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobysnax View Post
Is it just me or was the song at the end, the one the shogun Maeve was dancing to, Wu-Tang Clan's C.R.E.A.M.?
It was.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:41 AM
SDSAB

Ninjas! Samurai! Geishas! Awesome. The parallels between the Sweetwater bank robbers' and the Shogunworld thieves' capers were funny. Although how incredibly dumb do you have to be to let a dancer you knows hates you, with long metal objects sticking out of her hair, get so close?