View Poll Results: Where do you think Arlington is?
Arlington, Texas 29 8.55%
Arlington, Virginia 280 82.60%
Arlington (Heights), Illinois 5 1.47%
Other 25 7.37%
Voters: 339. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-25-2020, 03:40 AM
dalej42 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 16,101

Where do you think Arlington is?


Poll coming. If I mention the city name ‘Arlington’ to you, where do you think of first?
__________________
Twitter:@Stardales IG:@Dalej42 He/Him/His
  #2  
Old 03-25-2020, 03:45 AM
pool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Inside
Posts: 4,987
Arlington Virginia is what pops in my mind but I guess it is in fact a county, damn!
__________________
"You can do anything you set your mind to...But money helps"
  #3  
Old 03-25-2020, 03:49 AM
dalej42 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 16,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
Arlington Virginia is what pops in my mind but I guess it is in fact a county, damn!
That’s quite ok, because it’s exactly what I thought too. And I bet some people will think Arlington racetrack in Illinois without any idea of the city.
__________________
Twitter:@Stardales IG:@Dalej42 He/Him/His

Last edited by dalej42; 03-25-2020 at 03:49 AM.
  #4  
Old 03-26-2020, 02:58 PM
robardin is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Flushing, NY
Posts: 4,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
Arlington Virginia is what pops in my mind but I guess it is in fact a county, damn!
Yeah, my immediate default answer to the question in the subject line, "Where do you think Arlington is?", is "in Virginia, where Arlington National Cemetery is, with the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier".

I clicked on the poll selection for "Virginia" before reading the text of the OP, which said "If I mention the city name ‘Arlington’ to you, where do you think of first?". At which point I was like, "Aw dang, is this a trick question and Arlington National Cemetery is the name of just the cemetery, and not the town it's located in?"

In which case the next one I thought of was Arlington, TX, where I remembered there is or used to be "The Ballpark at Arlington" where the Texas Rangers played baseball, and which has probably been replaced or renamed with a corporate named park by now. (I follow NL baseball, for the most part, and don't know all the current ballpark names in the American League.)

Would not be able to come up with any other location named "Arlington".

Was that the point of the OP? To see how many people assumed Arlington National Cemetery was in a place called Arlington, Virginia? (Which it is, as an "unincorporated county", whatever that means.)
  #5  
Old 03-26-2020, 03:51 PM
dalej42 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 16,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by robardin View Post
Yeah, my immediate default answer to the question in the subject line, "Where do you think Arlington is?", is "in Virginia, where Arlington National Cemetery is, with the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier".

I clicked on the poll selection for "Virginia" before reading the text of the OP, which said "If I mention the city name ‘Arlington’ to you, where do you think of first?". At which point I was like, "Aw dang, is this a trick question and Arlington National Cemetery is the name of just the cemetery, and not the town it's located in?"

In which case the next one I thought of was Arlington, TX, where I remembered there is or used to be "The Ballpark at Arlington" where the Texas Rangers played baseball, and which has probably been replaced or renamed with a corporate named park by now. (I follow NL baseball, for the most part, and don't know all the current ballpark names in the American League.)

Would not be able to come up with any other location named "Arlington".

Was that the point of the OP? To see how many people assumed Arlington National Cemetery was in a place called Arlington, Virginia? (Which it is, as an "unincorporated county", whatever that means.)
I shouldn’t have put city name in my OP, wasn’t trying to be tricky
__________________
Twitter:@Stardales IG:@Dalej42 He/Him/His
  #6  
Old 03-25-2020, 04:20 AM
jtur88 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cebu, Philippines
Posts: 15,257
Nothing in the OP suggested that any of them were or had to be cities. Wiki lists 38 Arlingtons in the US and 3 in Canada including Yukon.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-25-2020 at 04:24 AM.
  #7  
Old 03-25-2020, 04:25 AM
Ludovic is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: America's Wing
Posts: 31,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Poll coming. If I mention the city name ‘Arlington’ to you, where do you think of first?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Nothing in the OP suggested that any of them were or had to be cities. Wiki lists 38 Arlingtons in the US and 3 in Canada including Yukon.
  #8  
Old 03-25-2020, 01:07 PM
Really Not All That Bright is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 68,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
I didn't read the question carefully and thought of the cemetery. But I'm not sure I've ever heard of the one in TX anyway.
__________________
This can only end in tears.
  #9  
Old 03-25-2020, 05:22 AM
Napier is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Mid Atlantic, USA
Posts: 9,806
I think of Arlington, Virginia first because of the famous cemetery there, which I've visited several times.

But of course there's Arlington, Texas, the site of a famous factory explosion. The 75th anniversary was pretty recent.

I don't know of any others offhand, though.
  #10  
Old 03-25-2020, 06:34 AM
cochrane is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 23,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napier View Post
I think of Arlington, Virginia first because of the famous cemetery there, which I've visited several times.

But of course there's Arlington, Texas, the site of a famous factory explosion. The 75th anniversary was pretty recent.

I don't know of any others offhand, though.
I think of Arlington, TX, mostly because it's where the Texas Rangers baseball team plays. And also where the Dallas Cowboys have played for the past ten years.
  #11  
Old 03-25-2020, 06:57 AM
Jonathan Chance is offline
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: On the run with Kilroy
Posts: 23,444
Virginia, baby.

"Ivana's a sculptor
She tending bar
She's piercing her nipples
In the name of art
And Rick's an accountant
Who likes tattoos
Keeps 'em all hidden
So his boss approves

It's the suburb of the week....
Arlington"
  #12  
Old 03-25-2020, 07:01 AM
howye is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,141
Arlington, TX - Where I was born and grew up. Although have not lived there in more years than I actually lived there.
  #13  
Old 03-25-2020, 07:30 AM
Telemark's Avatar
Telemark is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Just outside of Titletown
Posts: 23,793
Arlington, MA. I lived there for a decade and it's just down the road.
  #14  
Old 03-25-2020, 10:02 PM
Thudlow Boink's Avatar
Thudlow Boink is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Lincoln, IL
Posts: 28,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napier View Post
I think of Arlington, Virginia first because of the famous cemetery there
This. When you say "Arlington," the only association that springs to my mind is the cemetery.
  #15  
Old 03-26-2020, 06:04 PM
Deltree is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napier View Post
I think of Arlington, Virginia first because of the famous cemetery there, which I've visited several times.

But of course there's Arlington, Texas, the site of a famous factory explosion. The 75th anniversary was pretty recent.

I don't know of any others offhand, though.
You have the wrong Texas explosion. Arlington Tx. explosion, April 17, 2013. Texas explosion not quite 75 years ago, Texas City, Tx., April 16, 1947, 300 miles away from Arlington.

Last edited by Deltree; 03-26-2020 at 06:06 PM.
  #16  
Old 03-25-2020, 05:39 AM
Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor's Avatar
Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Dogpatch/Middle TN.
Posts: 31,221
Arlington is nowhere near close enough to our President.

{QUIET SMILE}

{TAPS}
  #17  
Old 03-25-2020, 05:45 AM
FairyChatMom's Avatar
FairyChatMom is offline
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southern Merrylande
Posts: 43,083
Even tho I voted for VA (as a Merrylander, it's the obvious choice), I will mention that my inlaws lived for a time in Arlington, FL - an area of Jacksonville.
  #18  
Old 03-25-2020, 07:37 AM
JKellyMap's Avatar
JKellyMap is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 10,343
My uncle has lived in Arlington, VA for fifty years.
  #19  
Old 03-25-2020, 07:42 AM
Shodan is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 40,757
Arlington, VA, because of the cemetery. I've been there, so...

Regards,
Shodan
  #20  
Old 03-25-2020, 07:42 AM
QuickSilver's Avatar
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 20,801
I can't even find Waldo. Has Arlington gone missing too?
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #21  
Old 03-25-2020, 07:48 AM
Gray Ghost is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,691
Depends on where we're having the conversation, and who the speaker is. For Dale, since he's an East Coast guy, (NY Giants fan too, IIRC), I'd guess he was referring to VA. For a speaker in a store here in Houston---when we can actually go to the store again---I'd guess the speaker was referring to the suburb of Dallas.
  #22  
Old 03-25-2020, 08:25 AM
Doyle's Avatar
Doyle is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 903
The city of Arlington, TX population is 398K. The county of Arlington, VA has a population of 237K. So there's that.
  #23  
Old 03-25-2020, 08:47 AM
jnglmassiv is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago's Northside
Posts: 3,389
I've only visited (Heights), Illinois and its locally well known race track but I'd assume Virginia if someone simply said Arlington.
  #24  
Old 03-25-2020, 09:00 AM
ftg's Avatar
ftg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Not the PNW :-(
Posts: 21,687
On the Columbia river in NE Oregon. A bit further south from where it used to be thanks to the reservoir behind the John Day Dam. Hometown of Doc Serverinsen.

It's on I-84 it so a lot of people have passed thru it.

Been thru and in it (and the old town) many times. Known people from it. Etc. First "Arlington" I think of.

Last edited by ftg; 03-25-2020 at 09:01 AM.
  #25  
Old 03-25-2020, 11:29 AM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 9,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnglmassiv View Post
I've only visited (Heights), Illinois and its locally well known race track but I'd assume Virginia if someone simply said Arlington.
Hell, I grew up in Arlington Heights, IL, and I'd certainly not think "Arlington" meant there.
  #26  
Old 03-25-2020, 12:07 PM
Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 85,174
Another vote for Virginia because of the cemetery.
  #27  
Old 03-25-2020, 03:11 PM
Folly's Avatar
Folly is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicago! (no more burbs)
Posts: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
Hell, I grew up in Arlington Heights, IL, and I'd certainly not think "Arlington" meant there.
Right. I'm not that far from Arlington Heights, but 'Arlington' by itself does not make me think of it.

I communicate with the US Patent Office a lot, so my mind jumped to Alexandria, VA and then subsequently Arlington, VA.
  #28  
Old 03-25-2020, 03:24 PM
dropzone's Avatar
dropzone is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Bedlam
Posts: 30,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
Hell, I grew up in Arlington Heights, IL, and I'd certainly not think "Arlington" meant there.
Then you didn't attend Arlington HS (I was Class of 72). Where did you go?
  #29  
Old 03-25-2020, 09:11 AM
Johnny L.A. is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 62,614
Arlington is 70 miles south of here. When I reach Arlington, it means I'm less than an hour from home in almost Canada.
  #30  
Old 03-29-2020, 09:09 AM
tim314 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Arlington is 70 miles south of here. When I reach Arlington, it means I'm less than an hour from home in almost Canada.
That's the closest Arlington to me as well (although I'm a bit further south), but I still had to give my vote to Arlington, VA, since it's where I grew up.
  #31  
Old 03-25-2020, 09:47 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rural Western PA
Posts: 34,284
Other. I read Arlington and my first thought was Arlington Avenue overlooking the South Side in Pittsburgh. I had friends who lived on Arlington and have many fond memories.
  #32  
Old 03-25-2020, 11:13 AM
bump is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 19,390
If I just heard someone in real life refer to "Arlington" without any qualifiers, I'd assume Arlington, TX, mostly because I live in DFW and that's the general interpretation around here.

But... if I was watching a TV or movie with any sort of government or military references, I'd assume Arlington, VA, as that's where the big US military cemetery is, the Pentagon is, and several of the big military monuments(USMC and USAF come to mind), and it's a big part of the Washington DC metro area.
  #33  
Old 03-25-2020, 11:25 AM
septimus's Avatar
septimus is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the Land of Smiles
Posts: 21,134
I clicked Arlington, VA; but my 2nd thought was Arlington Avenue, main street of Kensington, California.
  #34  
Old 03-25-2020, 12:12 PM
What Exit?'s Avatar
What Exit? is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central NJ (near Bree)
Posts: 30,137
Virginia thanks to the Cemetery and having visited it. Arlington TX next thanks to the Rangers (Baseball).
  #35  
Old 03-25-2020, 12:26 PM
RTFirefly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 40,897
I've spent >40 years of my life in the DC area and grew up in northern Virginia, so of course I thought of Arlington, VA first.

However, I'm all too aware of Arlington, TX, because I was 17 years old when the Nats v2.0 absconded there.
  #36  
Old 03-25-2020, 12:38 PM
silenus's Avatar
silenus is online now
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 52,208
R. E. Lee's old home.
  #37  
Old 03-25-2020, 12:45 PM
John Bredin is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: BuffaloGrove IL (Chicago)
Posts: 2,148
I voted Virginia, but if the context made it clear that the topic was local, I would think Arlington Heights, as that's the next suburb over from mine. But few people say Arlington for Arlington Heights, like few people say Elk Grove for Elk Grove Village even though that's long and there isn't another Elk Grove in metro Chicago (unlike the various Round Lakes not too far away).
  #38  
Old 03-25-2020, 01:06 PM
OldGuy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Very east of Foggybog, WI
Posts: 5,590
My first thought would be Arlington, MA (suburb of Boston) as I lived there a couple of years. Though in many contexts, I'd think of VA for the cemetery or Texas if we were talking about baseball.
  #39  
Old 03-25-2020, 01:57 PM
Tim R. Mortiss's Avatar
Tim R. Mortiss is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Lincoln Park, Chicago
Posts: 7,344
My first thought was of the racetrack, so I voted for the city in Illinois where it is located.
  #40  
Old 03-25-2020, 02:58 PM
Velocity is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 16,967
I've lived near both, the Texas and Virginia ones. I'd consider the Texas one to be it.
  #41  
Old 03-25-2020, 03:21 PM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 43,242
Pretty much across the bridge from the Mall. I guess that's VA? *checks map* Yup.

Last edited by Nava; 03-25-2020 at 03:22 PM.
  #42  
Old 03-25-2020, 05:50 PM
elfkin477 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NH
Posts: 23,049
Arlington is in Virginia. Or perhaps Massachusetts. I would never have thought of Illinois or Texas without specific context...much like Portland is in Maine unless context clues make it clear otherwise.
  #43  
Old 03-25-2020, 06:56 PM
longhair75 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: omaha, ne
Posts: 3,215
Arlington is about a third of the way from Blair NE to Fremont NE along US 30
__________________
ní féidir leat canadh le gloine folamh
  #44  
Old 03-25-2020, 07:15 PM
Ulf the Unwashed is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,613
The Arlington school district begins on the other side of my back yard, and my post office serves the nebulous "Arlington" part of the adjoining town (so I sometimes get mail addressed to me in "Arlington"), and several people I know say they live in Arlington, and...

..."Arlington," to me, means Virginia. Clearly. (Though the Rangers made me say Texas immediately afterwards.)

Last edited by Ulf the Unwashed; 03-25-2020 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Close parens
  #45  
Old 03-25-2020, 08:21 PM
Spoons is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Posts: 21,112
Virginia for me. I visited the cemetery when I visited Washington DC some years ago, so that's what comes to mind first.

If I had to make a second choice, it would be Arlington Heights, Illinois. I've watched and wagered on horse races from Arlington Park racetrack there in the past.
  #46  
Old 03-25-2020, 08:32 PM
WhyNot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 33,512
Vermont. I have no idea why. I've never been to Arlington, Vermont. I don't know anyone in Arlington, Vermont. Arlington, Vermont is not a large town, much less a real city.

But the answer is Arlington, Vermont. *shrug*
  #47  
Old 03-25-2020, 08:38 PM
thorny locust's Avatar
thorny locust is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 2,025
My immediate thought: "Arlington, New York but I bet they mean the one in Virginia". That is, I thought of them both at about the same time.

Voted "other".

There seem to be Arlingtons all over the place.
  #48  
Old 03-25-2020, 09:00 PM
cochrane is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 23,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
My immediate thought: "Arlington, New York but I bet they mean the one in Virginia". That is, I thought of them both at about the same time.

Voted "other".

There seem to be Arlingtons all over the place.
It's like Springfield.
  #49  
Old 03-25-2020, 09:04 PM
pulykamell is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 49,371
OK. I've grown up and lived in Chicago for most my life (about 3/4). I've never ever heard "Arlington" to refer to "Arlington Heights." How are there four votes (at the moment) for that?

I voted Virginia.
  #50  
Old 03-26-2020, 01:53 AM
Tim R. Mortiss's Avatar
Tim R. Mortiss is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Lincoln Park, Chicago
Posts: 7,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
OK. I've grown up and lived in Chicago for most my life (about 3/4). I've never ever heard "Arlington" to refer to "Arlington Heights." How are there four votes (at the moment) for that?

I voted Virginia.
Well, when I hear the word "Arlington" I think of the racetrack. And I know that it is in the town of Arlington Heights, so that's what I think of, and that's what I voted for. Of course I don't expect most people in the world to follow the same chain of reasoning.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017