Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2020, 05:55 AM

Is a seven-year-old girl in 2020 better off in the Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts?

The oldest of my bio kids, age seven, has expressed the desire to go into scouting. I myself was a Boy Scout back in the day but left as an adult because I disapproved of their stances on homosexuality and atheism. That said, I am giving my daughter's request serious thought. But my favorite sister, while not sharing my concerns about the atheism and homosexuality bans, is not in favor of her niece joining the Girl Scouts. When we were kids, baby sister says, nothing useful was taught by the Girl Scouts; she experienced it as only being about selling cookies and envied the stuff I was taught. Since contemporary Boy Scouts allow girls to join, my sister says, that is what I should enroll my daughter in.

But our experiences were 30 & 40 years ago. So parents of children that age: is my daughter better off in Girl Scouts or Boy Scouts? Which will lead to her learning more and having more fun?
This post was created by a blind person using voice to text software. Such software often introduces errors that are too tedious to correct for a message board, so anyone who has a problem with typos had best read something else.

Last edited by Skald the Rhymer; 03-06-2020 at 05:59 AM.