That was his statement a year ago.

March 6, 2019.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
However, this is a more recent update.
Thanks.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

The Hollywood Reporter says that Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune are going to film without a studio audience, because of COVID-19 and Alex Trebek's cancer.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:18 PM

I wonder if they will use a "laugh track" of audience applause, or just let it be eerily quiet.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
I wonder if they will use a "laugh track" of audience applause, or just let it be eerily quiet.
It's a TV show, so I would imagine they would use an applause track.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:47 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

All I know is, watching the March basho on NHK World, which is being held without spectators, is surreal.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I always found it strange that the audience applauds when a contestant picks a daily double.

Pretty much a guarantee that they will eventually pick daily double. Its not like it is an accomplishment. It just wastes time.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
I always found it strange that the audience applauds when a contestant picks a daily double.

Pretty much a guarantee that they will eventually pick daily double. Its not like it is an accomplishment. It just wastes time.
There's actually an applause sign that comes on in the audience when the Daily Doubles are found. Also hype guys in the audience waving their hands to encourage people to applaud.

It's all to add to the feeling of excitement.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:43 PM

https://twitter.com/Jeopardy/status/1239696395012935681

With the increasing concern surrounding COVID-19, we have decided to temporarily suspend production on Jeopardy! and @WheelofFortune. The health and well-being of our contestants, staff, and crew are our top priority, and we will continue to monitor the situation as it develops.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:56 PM
Charter Member

Anyone happen to know, even roughly, how far ahead they've taped, and what the air date of the last new show will be?
Old 03-17-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlTraina View Post
It's a TV show, so I would imagine they would use an applause track.

It's not what they did with the late night shows. Just had production staff in the audience and let them provide a smattering of applause. Pretty weird sound.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

I agree that the late night shows without a studio audience were weird. Colbert's last show (I think Thursday night) was, he said, a filmed dress rehearsal with his staff in the audience. And then Sunday night, John Oliver did an abbreviated version of his show from an undisclosed location with very little in terms of effects, also without an audience. I hadn't realized just how used I was to watching these shows with the live studio audience (even if they are prompted to respond enthusiastically).
Old 03-17-2020, 11:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commasense View Post
Anyone happen to know, even roughly, how far ahead they've taped, and what the air date of the last new show will be?
Not sure how it works now, but when I was on in 2006, my July appearance was taped in March.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labdad View Post
Not sure how it works now, but when I was on in 2006, my July appearance was taped in March.
Yeah, they seem to have varied the scheduling over the years. In 1991, my show was recorded in March and aired in April.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commasense View Post
Per Reddit, they have enough to last until the end of May.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Thanks.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

I caught Jeopardy in a mistake today. The category was "2 out of 3 letters are vowels". Rachel answered "What is 'ill'"? Alex said it was correct and they moved on. "Ill" does not meet the requirements of the category. I thought they would correct the error when they returned from commercial.

This was on the 5:30pm version on KNVA in Austin.

Ah well. Everyone is stressed these days.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum God View Post
I caught Jeopardy in a mistake today. The category was "2 out of 3 letters are vowels". Rachel answered "What is 'ill'"? Alex said it was correct and they moved on. "Ill" does not meet the requirements of the category. I thought they would correct the error when they returned from commercial.

This was on the 5:30pm version on KNVA in Austin.

Ah well. Everyone is stressed these days.
Are you sure it wasn't "eel"?

I'm watching it now in Toronto. I'll post an update later.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Googling, the show is supposed to run until July 24, so we might not see two months of episodes.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:56 PM

Must have been a repeat. That category didn't come up today.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:16 PM

that was from last year and I gues she said "ail" not "ill"

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6199
Old 03-19-2020, 10:08 PM

There was a technical error in one of today's clues (I've run marathons, so I'm attuned to these things): the category was The First Modern Olympics (held in 1896 in Greece, btw). The clue stated, "Seen here, dressed in traditional garb, Spyridon Louis became a national hero after winning this 26-mile race." The 26.2-mile distance did not become standard for marathons until after the 1908 London Olympics. Wikipedia says that the 1896 version was approx. 25 miles long.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:24 AM

My thesis that their player pool is getting weaker was bolstered by today’s episode, in which there had to be a half dozen triple stumpers I knew the answer to. (The final winning score of $2399 doesn’t hurt my case either, especially when you consider that no one got to five figures before FJ.)

OTOH, I was also reminded of a frustrating development in the way my brain works that indicates I have missed my window to be a contender. Too often I know exactly what they are talking about and could discuss a person or historical event in detail, but just cannot come up with the name. An example from today (although sadly not the only one) was when they asked about the 1941 movie featuring Xanadu. I could have told you Orson Welles was the director and star, I could have talked about Rosebud, William Randolph Hearst, even a number of details about the cinematography. But I just completely drew a blank on the actual name of the film!

Definitely would not have happened when I was in my twenties, and probably not in my mid-thirties either. I guess I would rather have that than still remember names but be fuzzy about the themes and connections between them. But it’s not good for Jeopardy!

Last edited by SlackerInc; 03-28-2020 at 01:25 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
My thesis that their player pool is getting weaker was bolstered by today’s episode, in which there had to be a half dozen triple stumpers I knew the answer to. (The final winning score of $2399 doesn’t hurt my case either, especially when you consider that no one got to five figures before FJ.)

OTOH, I was also reminded of a frustrating development in the way my brain works that indicates I have missed my window to be a contender. Too often I know exactly what they are talking about and could discuss a person or historical event in detail, but just cannot come up with the name. An example from today (although sadly not the only one) was when they asked about the 1941 movie featuring Xanadu. I could have told you Orson Welles was the director and star, I could have talked about Rosebud, William Randolph Hearst, even a number of details about the cinematography. But I just completely drew a blank on the actual name of the film!

Definitely would not have happened when I was in my twenties, and probably not in my mid-thirties either. I guess I would rather have that than still remember names but be fuzzy about the themes and connections between them. But it’s not good for Jeopardy!
I was waiitng for all three contestants to end up at zero. It really was a pathetic showing. (IIRC, the winner won only because her bet was small; she didn't give the right response either.)

It's only in the last year or so that I've had trouble coming up with the right responses as well. (I turned 65 in January.) I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven_Maven View Post
I received an email with the subject “Now you can take the Jeopardy! Test ANYTIME!”
There is now a promo on the show every day for the test.

Correct title: Jeopardy! Anytime Test
Old 03-28-2020, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garak View Post
that was from last year and I gues she said "ail" not "ill"

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6199
Oh, now that makes sense. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Perhaps letting people take the test anytime and from home is a reaction to a weaker player pool?
Old 03-28-2020, 07:46 PM

A plausible hypothesis indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
I was waiitng for all three contestants to end up at zero. It really was a pathetic showing. (IIRC, the winner won only because her bet was small; she didn't give the right response either.)

Yeah, and although I don't recall the specifics, it seemed like at least one of them used the wrong betting strategy.

Has there ever been a game in the history of the show where everyone ended up at zero? What about where two or even three of them ended up in the hole after Double Jeopardy? That would be wild, and obviously quite unlikely--but with all the thousands of games they have played, seems like it could have happened once or twice.

Quote:
It's only in the last year or so that I've had trouble coming up with the right responses as well. (I turned 65 in January.) I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Given that you've got a couple decades on me, I'm envious!
Old 03-28-2020, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

Does anyone watch University Challenge (asking the questions: Jeremy Paxman). I'm a big fan. The questions are usually hard and wide ranging. You get a physics question right? Your bonus questions may be female artists of the 19th century. It's a British show, an offshoot of the old College Bowl. The guys to watch this season are Ian Wang from Corpus Christi, Cambridge, and Brandon (like Madonna, he goes by one name) from Imperial College, London.

Here's a Youtube link to this season.

StG
Old 03-28-2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Has there ever been a game in the history of the show where everyone ended up at zero? What about where two or even three of them ended up in the hole after Double Jeopardy? That would be wild, and obviously quite unlikely--but with all the thousands of games they have played, seems like it could have happened once or twice.
Oh, yeah. Except you can't end up in the hole after FJ; you can only bet the money you have:

https://thejeopardyfan.com/statistic...with-no-winner

Quote:
Given that you've got a couple decades on me, I'm envious!
I think it would help if I got more sleep at night. Vitamins for the over 50 might be good too....
Old 03-28-2020, 10:53 PM

These are even more bizarre than no one winning:

https://www.insider.com/jeopardy-win...-video-2017-10

https://people.com/tv/jeopardy-fail-...o-final-round/
Old 03-29-2020, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Oh, yeah. Except you can't end up in the hole after FJ; you can only bet the money you have:

https://thejeopardyfan.com/statistic...with-no-winner

Right, that's why I said "after Double Jeopardy".

Interesting link, thanks. Looking at the one from 2016 (the only regular game with no winner in the past 20+ years), Randi's FJ wager seems insane. Even if she was confident about the category and wanted to win more money, why not leave a buck or two for just this potential scenario?

Quote:
Scores going into Final Jeopardy:
Mike Drummond $13,800
Claudia Corriere $13,800
Randi Kristensen $6,000
Final Jeopardy! category: STATE CAPITALS
Final Jeopardy! clue: A 1957 event led to the creation of a Natl. Historic Site in this city, signed by a pres. whose library is now there too (What is Little Rock, Arkansas?)
All three players bet everything and zeroed out. (Randi guessed Springfield, Claudia Austin, and Mike Atlanta.)

Quote:

There ya go, that's what Randi should have done. I wonder if Manny came back and won any more money after that.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Right, that's why I said "after Double Jeopardy".
DUH! My mind must be going!

Turns out that Manny was a three-time champion ... believe it or not!

https://j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=11690
Old 03-29-2020, 01:05 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
Does anyone watch University Challenge (asking the questions: Jeremy Paxman). I'm a big fan. The questions are usually hard and wide ranging. You get a physics question right? Your bonus questions may be female artists of the 19th century. It's a British show, an offshoot of the old College Bowl.
During our first year together Mrs. Cretin and I used to love watching GE College Bowl. We still think of it as an example of how good Jeopardy could have been.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:29 PM

I was almost ready to pronounce this a distinctly improved group of contestants, but then they were all shockingly bad right at the end, in the Before & After and Vice Presidents categories. Some of those were so easy! It’s especially distressing to me to see people who are ostensibly the cream of the crop be so ignorant about political history.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacherousCretin View Post
During our first year together Mrs. Cretin and I used to love watching GE College Bowl. We still think of it as an example of how good Jeopardy could have been.
Try watching the linked season of UC. Just an ep or two will let you know if you like it.

StG
Old 03-31-2020, 05:31 PM

Wow, what a dramatic change in fortunes today.

SPOILER:
The returning champ was trailing late in Double Jeopardy, so went for a true Daily Double for a whopping $12,800, which would have given him the lead. He missed a fairly easy clue (identifying that one of the world's largest stores in Chicago would be Sears, not Neiman-Marcus), dropping him to zero, then went to -400 after missing a subsequent clue, and had one last chance (in a game that was not a runaway) to get back in the positives when the final clue on the screen was the last Daily Double. He bet the maximum $2,000 and missed it, ending up at -$2,400 and out of the running for FJ. Had he come up with "Sears", it presumably would have been a barnburner of wagering for FJ and a very nice payday for the winner, as the ultimate winning total was <$24K.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 03-31-2020 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:48 PM

FWIW, Last Night's Wheel of Fortne was a repeat from 2018. If it is related to the quarantine, then they hadn't taped very many weeks ahead of time.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Wow, what a dramatic change in fortunes today.

SPOILER:
The returning champ was trailing late in Double Jeopardy, so went for a true Daily Double for a whopping $12,800, which would have given him the lead. He missed a fairly easy clue (identifying that one of the world's largest stores in Chicago would be Sears, not Neiman-Marcus), dropping him to zero, then went to -400 after missing a subsequent clue, and had one last chance (in a game that was not a runaway) to get back in the positives when the final clue on the screen was the last Daily Double. He bet the maximum $2,000 and missed it, ending up at -$2,400 and out of the running for FJ. Had he come up with "Sears", it presumably would have been a barnburner of wagering for FJ and a very nice payday for the winner, as the ultimate winning total was <$24K.
Thanks for the updates. Trump's daily coronaramblings seem to be happening at the same time as when our local NBC affiliate airs Jeopardy, so I haven't been able to watch it.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:59 PM

Ah, that sucks. I myself won't be able to watch after the 10th, for a sort of complicated (yet boring) reason that will mean I no longer get local TV.

BTW, just to be clear (not totally sure if I was originally):

SPOILER:
He was actually wagering $12,800, so missing the question actually cost him nearly $26K. Yowwwch. Good for him for really going for it though!

Last edited by SlackerInc; 03-31-2020 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:06 AM

Damn. My DirecTV remote deleted all the saved eps of Jeopardy! I hadn't watched.

Worst. Remote. Ever.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Ah, that sucks. I myself won't be able to watch after the 10th, for a sort of complicated (yet boring) reason that will mean I no longer get local TV.

BTW, just to be clear (not totally sure if I was originally):

SPOILER:
He was actually wagering $12,800, so missing the question actually cost him nearly $26K. Yowwwch. Good for him for really going for it though!
I believe you are incorrect. He had $6400. The game is on J-archive already.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:39 PM

Oops, that’s what I get for half-watching the show while I am looking at my phone. I thought it was an incredibly bold wager, but it was actually just a desperate (and necessary) attempt to come back and not let it be a runaway. Just call me Emily Latella, carry on.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 04-01-2020 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:24 PM

Exciting game today! Good players.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:47 PM

How they missed Treasure Island, Ben-Hur, and Heart of Darkness is beyond me. Those were so easy!

(I was expecting Moby Dick to be in there too.)

Last edited by terentii; 04-01-2020 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:54 PM

Very interesting strategic wagering in Final Jeopardy. The weird thing is,
SPOILER:
I knew one of the two parts of the final answer, and IIRC it was the part that none of the three of them got right despite their variety of answers: Manitoba.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Very interesting strategic wagering in Final Jeopardy. The weird thing is,
SPOILER:
I knew one of the two parts of the final answer, and IIRC it was the part that none of the three of them got right despite their variety of answers: Manitoba.
I had to think about this one. Then I remembered that Nunavut is much farther to the east than Alberta. It had to be Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

Newfoundland and Labrador, WTF?!? I knew those weren't prairie provinces when I was in sixth grade!
Old 04-02-2020, 09:23 AM

Also, one province.

And to your mention of the Ships catagory, the wife and I both had trouble with that one. Just couldn't wrap our heads around the catagory. Of course in hindsight it is clear, but during the game play we just didn't make the connection.

Love Canadian catagories. Hate, hate, hate US presidents.

Greg, in Alberta. Hooting at the wrong Final Jeopardy answers.